NINE

THE MEMORY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 years later…

Yul unloaded the boxes into the lorry and made sure he closed the lorry door securely.

“50 kilograms of red chilies for Koo Supermarkets. Signed here please.” The lorry driver said to Yul and Yul signed the form.

“Thank you.” Yul said to the man.

“Pleasure but I’m coming again in 2 days if the supermarket approve to the agreements.”

“Yeah but I’m not going to be here. You can deal with Seonghun about that or with Joonki.” Yul pulled away the glove covering his hands.

“Where are you going hyung?” the man named Jisung asked.

Jisung looked at his friend, one the owner of the chilies farm in Daejeon. Jisung has worked with Yul, Seonghun and Joonki for a year now.

“Jeonju. There’s someone waiting for me.” Yul answered as he walked away.

After leaving Sooyeon in Jeonju 2 years ago, Yul has made up his mind to stay away from his family. He met his brother and handed over everything to him. Cheol tried coaxing Yul, pleading Yul but Yul said no. He refused to have any link with his family. He did not want to see them anymore. He gave away all the companies under his name to Cheol and left without meeting his dad. He couldn’t care less.

After leaving Seoul, Yul migrated to Daejeon. With his savings, he bought an abandon chili field and work it out again. Luck was on his side, Seonghun and Joonki who was the native of the village wanted to work for him. So the three of them did everything for the chili farm and after a year, they are one of the main producer of chili for Daejeon and just a month ago, a supermarket in Seoul seek for their products to be sold in Seoul. They couldn’t be happier.

In the midst of the successful chili farms, Yul was actually counting days. When Taecyeon brought the news to Yul, he couldn’t help but to cry in happiness. Taecyeon was supposed to deliver the unsigned divorce form and a letter to Sooyeon. Yul did not want to sign it first. He hoped that Sooyeon might change her mind after reading his letter and when Taecyeon came back with a letter handwritten by Sooyeon, Yul was relieved. Yul kept the letter carefully and bring it with him wherever he go. He made a promise to have it all ready for Sooyeon when they meet again later. Yul wanted to provide Sooyeon with everything she wanted. Everything.

Yul entered the small room beside the farm. It was the farm’s office. He sat down at his seat and looked at the calendar. Tomorrow is the day. Yul open his drawer and took the letter. He opened it carefully and looked at it.  He could read the letters for thousand times and it will still bring tears to his eyes.

‘Kwon Yul, my husband Kwon Yul. In my life, I have never fall in love with anyone else. You are my first and I am hoping you are my last. After you left the other day, I was nothing but feeling miserable in the inside. I thought I could do it. I thought I could live without you but I could not. All I see around the cottage is you. All I see and think about is you. I love you so much Yul. The only reason I asked you to go is so that I could still be in love with you. I don’t want to hate you. I am afraid you will change again if I take you again that instant. I don’t want to be your enemy and I don’t want you to hate me. I rather we parted like this instead of having a divorce full of hatred later. When your lawyer came with the divorce form, reality hits me. Reading your letter made me realized that I still need you. I need you in my life.

I couldn’t bring myself signing the divorce form. So I wrote you this letter to tell you about my feeling. I don’t want this divorce anymore. All I want is you back with me but not for now. We both need time out. It’s time for us to really understand who we are. I read once in a book, one should not mistake love for greed, loneliness or sympathy. So I am giving us both 2 years to understand that. If after 2 years, you still in love me, come and see me at the cottage. I will be there waiting for you. If somehow you are not in love with me anymore, you can send me the divorce letter again. I understand. And I am sorry.

Love, Sooyeon.’

Yul wiped his tears away. He folded the letter and put it in the envelope again.

“I still love you Sooyeon. Wait for me.” Yul stood and exited the small office.

“Hyung, how many days are you going to be there?” Joonki appeared with a bag of fertilizer.

Yul looked at the young man.

“Maybe a week? At most.”

“May I ask you something hyung?” Joonki stood beside Yul.

Yul nodded as he arranged the fertilizers.

“What will you do if she’s not there?”

Yul stopped arranging the fertilizers. He bent down and picked a bag of fertilizer before putting it beside the office.

“I have the same thought but every time that happened I hold onto her words, her letter.”

“Hyung…”

“Even if she’s not there tomorrow, I will always wait for her.” Yul looked around the farm.

“This is all for her. None of this matter if she’s not here.” Yul placed his hand on his waist.

Joonki nodded and watched Yul walked away.

//

Sooyeon looked at the leaving form she has filled out yesterday. She kept her things into the locker and head out to the manager’s office. Sooyeon gave a knock and entered the room.

“Yes, Sooyeon, how can I help you?” Jaehyun asked as he looked at the woman.

“I wanted to pass this to you.”

“Ah yes…your leave form. 4 days? Where are you going?” Jaehyun asked as he stamped the form and placed it into a file.

“I have something to take care of. This will be deducted from my annual leaves right?”

“Yes. That means you have 3 days left.” Jaehyun smiled and Sooyeon thanked him before leaving the office.

Sooyeon looked at the busy kitchen of the McDonalds she is working at. After giving the letter to Taecyeon, Sooye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter