Chap 2

Crimson Apple

The next morning the girl woke up just as the sun was rising and willed herself to get ready for school before getting her brother dressed. Quietly the two walked out of the house, their father still asleep on the couch.

“What do we say when the teacher asks what happened?” she asked Sohun.

“I fell down the stairs,” he rehearsed.

“Right,” she ruffled his hair, “Be good okay? Mom or I will come to pick you up from school,” she waved at him goodbye as he entered the gates of his school. She made her way to school, not caring that she was running late. As she approached the gates of the rundown school she sighed, other students were just as late as her, not in a rush to get to class, some stood outside to smoke cigars. Sliding open the door to her classroom she made her way to her seat.

“Miss Kwon you’re late today as well, not to mention out of dress code,” the homeroom teacher Mr. San was referring to her red pleated skirt that had a slit on the side large enough to expose the black shorts she wore underneath and the chains that looped around her skirt and dangled on the side. 

Somin merely rolled her eyes as no one else in the school was following the uniform code, skirts were cut short, had slits, chains dangled, shirts and blazers were ed, many students had dyed their hair unnatural colors and wore bright makeup.

“I think instead of focusing on how we dress you should focus on fixing the school,” she pointed at the ceiling where the light was flickering, the same light was flickering all year still yet the staff had not bothered to fix it.

“Student please report to the auditorium,” the principal announced over the speakers before the teacher could retort back to her remark.

She smirked as students began to get up from their seats and made their way to the auditorium accordingly.

“Seungmin!” she waved and walked with the tall male to the auditorium, “What’s going on today?”

The male shrugged, “Beats me.” Together the two walked to the auditorium and met up with the rest of their band members. All the students stood in rows as their principal walked onto the stage.

“Students,” the principal sighed, “It hurts me to have to announce this to everyone, especially having been here for so many years,” he started.

“Is he retiring?” students asked one another.

Somin and the rest of the boys stood, bored already, wanting it to end.

“Wangyun high school will be closing down,” the principal announced. Gasps sounded in the room and students looked at one another. “It has come to the community’s attention that the school is in deep need of renovations, and with the current funding it is not possible. Therefore we have come to the decision that we will close the school and send you to another. This will provide every one of you with a better opportunity until we are able to allocate funds to refurbish the school. You will all be sent to Seoul Central School.”

Groans came from the students. Unlike their school, Seoul Central School consisted of more preppy, rich kids that could get away with anything they wanted.

“Next week you will all begin at Seoul Central School.” The principal finished. More groans resounded throughout the room.

The next week the band arrived at their new school dressed in their old uniforms. The principal had agreed to allow the students to wear their old uniform as not all the students had the funds to get a new one. Together they marched into the school to find their newly assigned classrooms. Students turned and began whispering at them as they entered. Their black and red uniforms contrasted against the sea of grey and blue uniforms, not to mention not a single one of them wore their uniform properly.

“We’ll see you at lunch,” the keyboardist waved at the group parting from them, the producer, guitarist, and rhythm guitarist following behind him.

“I’ll see you then okay?” Somin let go of her boyfriend’s hand and stood on her tippy toes to plant a kiss on his cheek.

He gave her a small smile, “Take care of her for me hyung,” he looked over at the older male that stood watching.

“Tch, come on,” the drummer rolled his eyes.

The drummer, songwriter, and lead vocal stood in front of their new classmates.

“Everyone please welcome your new classmates, they came from Daesun High School. Now each of you introduce yourself.” the homeroom teacher announced

Somin’s disinterested eyes scanned the class in front of her, “Kwon Somin,” she spoke.

“Bang Chan,” the male next to her stuck his hands into his pockets.

“Lee Minho,” the last male stifled a yawn.

“Anything else you would like to add?” the teacher asked. The students in their seats curiously watched the three in front.

Somin turned to the teacher, “No.”

“Alright,” the teacher sighed, “Please find a seat,” he motioned at the sea of desks.

The three quietly shuffled through the aisles. As Somin was walking a girl stuck out her foot in an attempt to trip her.

“Excuse me,” Somin stared at her.

The girl merely scoffed and brushed back her hair, “Excuse you,” she spoke, “I think you can get to your desk another way. I don’t want my area to be contaminated by your,” the girl looked Somin up and down, “filth.”

“Move your foot,” Somin ordered.

“No, you move yourself,” the girl barked at her. The whole class was quiet, observing the two of them, even the teacher was silent. Minho and Chan shared a look with another before sitting down in their seats, leaning back in their chair.

“I said, move your foot. Don’t make me repeat myself again,” Somin’s words came out cold.

“Or what?” the girl questioned.

Somin smirked and stepped on the girl’s ankle, walking past her. The girl let out a yelp and fell to the floor as soon as she tried to get up.

“I warned you didn’t I?” Somin plopped herself down in her seat, not sparing the girl another look.

The students looked at one another unsure of how to react, all the teacher did was look down at his workbook.

“Teacher,” the girl cried out, “Do something!”

“I- uh, I’m sorry, I’ll write you a nurse’s pass,” the teacher fumbled through his briefcase for a small pink slip, “Um Jeno please Hana to the nurse’s office.”

“No, I don’t want to,” a boy sitting in the back of the classroom with dusty grey hair spoke.

“Je-jeno,” the teacher spoke.

“I said I don’t want to,” the boy’s voice cut through the air and pierced right through the teacher.

The door of the classroom slid open and a tanned boy with brown hair walked in, his bag slung on one shoulder, “Good morning,” he called out, not realizing the situation he had just walked in on. Noticing the tension in the air he looked around confused, “Oh we have new students? Hello~” he waved at Somin, Chan, and Minho, “I’m Donghyuck, but call me Haechan,” he introduced himself.