Chap 11

Crimson Apple

TW: slight mention of domestic abuse


That Friday Stray Kids were in the cleaning the classrooms serving their last day of their extended detentions. Originally, the teachers had planned for Stray Kids to serve a month of extended detention, but thanks to Jaemin, they reduced it to two weeks. Together Stray Kids walked in the dark halls of the school. Meanwhile on the next roof, the Seoul Central students were having fun blasting loud music and as they watched the fight between the two boys in the center. The students cheered as they punched and dragged each other around.

Jeongin was the first to notice the Seoul Central students outside, “What’s that?” he stopped in his tracks and pointed out the window. The rest of Stray Kids looked out the window to see the fight that was continuing.

“Let’s go see,” Changbin smirked and was the first of the group to head off to get to the roof, the rest of Stray Kids following behind him.

Somin looked up at Felix who was frowning at the thought of interfering with the students on the roof, “What’s wrong?” she asked.

He shook his head before giving her a small smile, “I just don’t get a good vibe from them that’s all.”

When Stray Kids got to the roof, they burst through the door, gaining the attention of the Seoul Central students. The music continued to play until Stray Kids walked towards the center to get a better view of the fight. Across from them Renjun sat on an old desk, a leg bent and propped up on the desk, his arm resting on his knee. Once he saw Stray Kids he held his hand up signaling the DJ to stop playing, immediately the DJ stopped the music. Renjun swiftly hopped off the desk and struttered towards Stray Kids, the Seoul Central students parting for him to get by and turned their attention towards Stray Kids. Renjun walked right past Changbin, Hyunjin, Minho and Seungmin and stopped right in front of Somin, staring down at her.

“Are you here to accept the offer?” he asked, staring straight into her caramel brown eyes.

Felix pushed Somin behind him and stood in front of Renjun, “How many times does she have to reject you guys to understand that she’s not interested in joining your band?” he growled.

Renjun’s nose scrunched up in disgust at the sight of Felix, “Move, I didn’t ask you. I asked her,” he nodded his head to Somin.

“I think we should’ve asked them what they’re doing here first,” Jaemin emerged from the crowd of Seoul Central students. “As much as I’d love to have you all here, this is Seoul Central student exclusive,” he stood next to Renjun and put a hand on his shoulder. “Take it easy,” he muttered into his ear.

“We just wanted to see what was going on,” Hyunjin shrugged his shoulders, “If you wanted it to be exclusive you should’ve made a sign.”

“Leave,” Jeno’s voice boomed across the students and to Stray Kids, he was standing on top of a desk, a bottle of beer in his hand, “Do it while we’re being nice,” he threatened.

“What if we don’t want to?” Seungmin challenged him.

“C’mon man,” Chan put a hand on Seungmin’s shoulders, “We shouldn’t be here, let’s just go,” he looked at each member of Stray Kids with pleading eyes, not wanting to cause a scene.

Seeing how desperate Chan was to get Stray Kids out of there, Somin laced her fingers with Felix’s, “Let’s go,” she pulled him to the door.

Reluctantly, the rest of Stray Kids followed out with the eyes of the Seoul Central students trailing behind them.

“Those rich bastards piss me off,” Seungmin growled, throwing his backpack onto the couch. Stray Kids were in their rented practice room getting ready for practice.

“It’s just because their parents are rich and they can get away with anything,” Jeongin sighed, internally wishing that he was able to have the same financial status as them.

“It’s okay, one day we’ll be just as rich as them,” Chan patted him on the shoulder, “For now we should focus on practicing for our gig tomorrow, right Somin?” Chan turned over to see the vocalist in a daze. “Somin?” he called, waving a hand in front of her face.

After a few seconds she snapped out of her thoughts, “Sorry what?”

“We should practice for our gig tomorrow right?” Chan repeated.

“Huh yea,” Somin absently nodded. She was thinking about the rooftop from earlier, why was it that the students all gathered there for what seemed to be every friday night just to fight or watch others to fight.

Felix put a hand on her shoulder, leading her to shift her attention upwards to him, “Is everything alright?”

“Yea,” Somin nodded.

That night when Somin got home she didn’t see her mother or Sohun anywhere, instead it was just her and her father home. Unfortunately, her father wasn’t passed out like usual, but was awake, alert and enraged, he lashed out at Somin for the smallest of things such as coming home so late and not knowing where her mother or brother were. At first her father used his belt to whip her even as she tried to shield herself. Somin tried her best to fight back but failed in doing so and only resulted in her getting more whippings and beatings. With his temper shortening her father grew tired of using the belt to whip her and instead began to slap and kick her, backing her into a corner where he continued to beat her, continuing for another hour or so. Her father didn’t stop until he grew tired and only wanted more beer to drink, ordering Somin to go to the store to get him more. Quickly Somin rushed out of the house, battered and bruised she ended up at Stray Kids dorm, not getting her father the beer like he wanted. When Hyunjin opened the door, his eyes widened in shock at the state she was in. Sweating and panting from the running, Somin was also bleeding, her father had whipped and beaten her to the point that the belt ripped apart her exposed skin and the purple bruises were evident. Hyunjin opened the door wider for her to come in, but she stumbled through the door and fell to her knees. Felix rushed over to Somin and carefully lifted her up and laid her down on the couch. Changbin sat down on the ground with a first aid kit as Han came over with a small bucket of water and a towel. No one asked her what had happened but just tended to her wounds. Pulling down her knee high socks and having her lift up her shirt revealed even more bruises. Bruises were lined up all over her legs, around her torso and even down her arms. Stray Kids looked at one another in worry but didn’t say anything. After treating her wounds Felix moved Somin to his bed, about to leave to sleep on the couch, Somin pulled him back by the hand.

“Stay with me please,” she whispered desperately.

He nodded and silently slid under the covers, carefully pulling her close to him and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, softly he placed a kiss on her forehead. He hated having to see her in the state she was in but never being able to do anything to change it. Her father promised to be a changed man many times in the past, but never did change and only hurted his family as a result. Somin being the oldest suffered the most, with her mother having work to provide for the family and taking Sohun with her or having a close friend take care of him, Somin was left to fend for herself. She was strong at first but eventually even her own father broke her. It wasn’t the first time Somin had shown up at Stray Kids’ doorstep battered and bruised, rather they had seen her in the state more times than they had liked to admit.

“Are you sure you want to perform? We can cancel tonight,” Chan asked Somin the third time that day. It was Saturday and Stray Kids were to perform at another club that night.

Somin flashed him a smile, “It’s fine we can still perform.” Although she was beaten last night Somin still smiled as though nothing had happened, she did have some trouble moving her arms that previously used to shield herself with, but made sure to not make the pain evident. Stray Kids looked at one another skeptical of her answer but still went along with it.

Chenle made note of how stiff Somin seemed to be as she performed. She was covered head to toe so that he couldn’t see any bruises or pain that was inflicted onto her, but he knew his sharp eyes weren’t deceiving him. Taking out his phone Chenle sent a quick message into the NCT Dream group chat.

Chenle: I think we should keep an eye on her, outside of school too

Haechan: Why ?

Jeno: Sounds like a hassle

Jaemin: I like the idea, good thinking Chenle!

Jisung: Am I part of this plan too?

Renjun: I’m busy.

Chenle shook his head reading the messages s had sent and put his phone away, focusing on the band in front of him.