Chap 5

Crimson Apple

A/N: quick author's note, italicized texts are what's being sung, and here are the original songs if you would like to listen~

Block B - Very Good

Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby

Halsey - Hurricane


Somin’s life started to become consistent even with the switch to the new school. At the crack of dawn, she would wake up and get her brother ready for school before quietly sneaking the two of them out so that their father wouldn’t hear them. At school she would spend the day with Stray Kids or sleeping at her desk, then after school, she would take Sohun home to be cared for by her mother if she wasn’t working, or she’d end up taking him along to her band practice with Stray Kids. The boys didn’t mind seeing the younger boy and the boy was more than happy to be with his sister as opposed to being at home in fear of their father.

“Baby, you know you can stay over at our place right?” Felix was walking Somin home, carrying a sleeping Sohun in his arms.

Somin was walking next to him, looking up at him, the bustling streets around them and bright neon signs lit the area around them, “I know, I just feel bad.” It had been like that for a while now, only Stay Kids knew of Somin’s situation at home, well most of Stray Kids at least, Jiyun had no clue what was going on and Somin never found the need to tell the girl. The boys offered to let Somin and Sohun move in with them, but the girl declined, stating how she couldn’t just leave her mother to fend for herself with her abusive father. Everyday Somin prayed that she would be able to make enough money for her mother to be able to file for divorce with her father and move the three of them out.

“Don’t feel bad, we’re here for you,” Felix assured her.

“We’re here,” Somin announced as the two stopped in front of her small house, “Here I’ll take him,” she reached over to take Sohun from Felix. The small boy stayed asleep as they transitioned him over to the girl. “Goodnight Felix, I’ll see you tomorrow, love you,” she said.

“Night Somin,” Felix pressed his lips on her forehead and ruffled the small boy’s hair even though he was still asleep. He stayed in front of her house watching as she tried to quietly creep through the front doors before he left.

The day of the assembly came, all of the Wangyun students had come to school for once, most of them having skipped since starting. The Wangyun students waited in anticipation for what was coming.

“Students please report to the auditorium for our assembly,” a teacher announced over the intercom. The Wangyun students looked at one another in exchanging looks. One by one the students filed into the auditorium, the students of Seoul Central taking up the front half, leaving the Wangyun students to fill up the back.

Chen walked up on the stage, as student council president it was his duty to keep the student in order during the assemblies and introduce the speakers. He politely bowed at everyone, a mic in hand, “Hello everyone, thank you for coming in in an orderly manner. I’m sure this past week you’ve noticed that we’ve had an addition of new students.”

“Boo!” the Seoul Central students said in unison.

“Please listen as we hear a few words from our principal,” Chen shook hands with the principal on stage and gave him the microphone.

“Good morning students,” Principal Hun began, “Now I know it may be a difficult time for our Wangyun students but we are doing our best to help you transition during this time.”

The Wangyun students scoffed at his statement, so far none of the teachers had done anything of the sort to aid the Wangyun students, they acted as though nothing had ever changed.

“We hope that our own Seoul Central students have been helping.” At this the Wangyun students booed the principal. “Now we will continue with the school year as planned, we will have our school’s festival as planned

“It’s time,” Chan told the band and they each nodded at one another, standing in their seats, getting ready to leave.

“Are you really not coming?” Somin looked down at the girl who was still seated in her seat, Jiyun shook her head. Somin frowned hoping that the girl would have a change of heart.

“Come on Somin,” Minho urged the girl. She took one last look at the girl still seated before following the boys in front of her. Together Stray Kids quietly exited the auditorium and headed to the back of the stage where they took their positions behind their instruments already set up. The curtain to the stage covered them completely so that no one would notice. In front of them the principal was still speaking about the year’s plan.

“Ready?” Chan looked at each of s that nodded.

Somin nodded, taking a deep breath. Usually, she wasn’t nervous performing in front of others, but this time there was a larger audience than what they were used to playing. The rest of the band didn’t say it but in the back of their mind they were just as nervous.

The leader gave them an assuring smile, “Just like what we rehearsed.”

“Thank you, Principal Hun,” Chen spoke as the student applauded. The male instructed the band that he would only reveal them after the principal had got off the stage. As the clapping died down Chen spoke again, “Um before we release everyone,” he nervously spoke, “We have one last thing,” quickly the boy rushed to the side of the stage fidgeting with the buttons. Students were whispering and murmuring to each other as they hadn't anticipated anything else besides the principal speaking.

Before the curtains dropped Chan began.

Ahh, guess who’s here?

A-yo, we did it again man

The male growled starting the rest of the band. The curtain completely fell, revealing Stray Kids.

Show time

Making my first appearance among the cheers and excitement

Somin sang, riling up the Wangyun students that cheered in the back. The band paused for a second.

I’m very very good, very very good.

They started again and the Wangyun students all screamed in unison. Together the band jumped on the stage, Somin went back and forth between Felix and Han that were on both of her sides. The teachers all looked at each other in confusion of what to do. Principal Hun looked at the teacher, silently ordering them to stop Stray Kids from performing. A teacher began to make his way to the stage but was pushed back by a group of Wangyun students that was stationed at the ends of the stage to stop anyone from entering.

King of the jungle

Hey kids, stop your cute baby show

Hyunjin rapped, sending a wink to the Wangyun students and causing a group of girls to scream even louder. The teachers continued to frantically talk to one another about what to do as the Seoul Central students looked displeased. Some of the teachers did nothing and made no attempt to stop the students on stage but watched them perform instead.

As the song came to an end, Somin took a step closer to the edge of the stage, “This next one is dedicated to a special someone in the crowd, I had a pleasure of meeting,” Somin locked eyes with Hana. The boys started behind her.

They call you cry baby, cry baby.

She sang, smirking once she saw the annoyance in Hana’s face.

The students of Wangyun high school pushed past the students of Seoul Central School and formed a crowd at the front of the stage, bobbing their heads to the music.

“Switch it!” Somin turned back to Felix and Chan who nodded, being quick to change the song they were performing, the others following behind.

Are you deranged like me?

Are you strange like me?

Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?

Do you call yourself a ing hurricane like me?

Pointing fingers cause you’ll never take the blame like me?

She sang as the anger in her voice rose.

The students lifted their hands up and waved along, some students even began to jump to the beat. On the edge of the stage, Jooe and a few other students prepared confetti, blasting it as the band performed, causing the Wangyun students to further scream in excitement.