Chap 14

Crimson Apple

The next day at school Somin walked to class alone. She saw Stray Kids but merely walked past them, her head low and eyes lifeless, she didn’t, couldn’t make eye contact with Felix.

“Somin,” he called out, to which she ignored and kept walking on.

When she got to class she took her seat and merely stared at her notebook waiting for class to begin.

“Somin,” Chan had called her name this time, he was standing in front of her desk but she hadn’t noticed. Slowly she looked up to meet his eyes. “Where have you been?” he asked, his voice laced with worry.

Somin gave him a small smile, though fake, “Just resting.”

“Where at?” he asked.

“Just,” Somin paused unsure of exactly what her relationship with Chenle was, they had never officially met one another before that night she appeared on his front door, “a friend’s.”

Chan knew she was hiding something but didn’t press any further and just slowly nodded his head. He knew that besides Stray Kids Somin didn’t have any other friends who’s place she could stay at. “Do you want to get food later?” he asked.

Somin thought about it, she looked at Chan then back at Minho before turning back to Chan. It had been days since she last spoke to the two and she did miss them, but in the back of her mind, she knew that it was likely Felix would also be there and she wasn’t ready to face him. “No it’s okay,” she declined his offer.

Before Chan could say anything else to convince her otherwise a cold voice interrupted, “Move,” Jeno spoke loud and clear. He had entered the classroom and stood behind Chan, his uniform was ed and he held his backpack in one hand by it’s strap holder over his shoulder.

Chan stared at the male that was now next to him, bewildered at why the male seemed to be mad at him.

“I said move,” Jeno kicked the desk of the student who was sitting on Somin’s right. The student squeaked as they shoved all of the stuff they had laid out on their desk into their backpack and stood up from their seat, scooting to the side. Jeno dropped his backpack onto the desk and motioned his head to the side “Find another seat,” he ordered the student. He sat at his new desk and took a peek at Somin before looking back to the front of the classroom. Everyone in the class didn’t understand what was going on, why did Jeno want a new seat all of sudden? More importantly why next to Somin? Haechan who was already in his seat even looked over at Jeno with wide eyes, in confusion.

Just a second later the teacher came in, noticing how Jeno wasn’t seated in his usual seat but didn’t question it. “Good morning class,” he spoke, “Please get to your seats,” he was referring to Chan who was still standing but stole a quick glance at Jeno before looking down to the stack of papers he had brought.

When the bell rang signaling for the start of lunch Jeno stood from his desk and grabbed Somin’s hand, pulling her up from her seat, “Let’s go,” he spoke small enough for just her to hear.

“Somin,” Chan called out, making his way towards the two, “She’s eating lunch with me,” he said to Jeno.

“Get out of my way,” Jeno growled, Somin’s hand still in his.

“No, she can choose who she wants to go eat with,” Chan looked over at Somin who stood emotionless.

“Somin,” Felix’s deep voice came from the hallway, he stood in front of the classroom’s window, staring straight at Somin. At the mention of her name, Somin looked up, their eyes connected for a second before she quickly looked away, her eyes beginning to tear up. Jeno’s eyes wavered at how vulnerable she looked in front of him.

“It’s fine,” she choked out, “I’ll eat with you another time Chan okay?” she tried to give him a smile but it faltered before it could fully form.

“Move,” Jeno pushed Chan back and pulled Somin out of the classroom and down the hall before Chan or Felix could say anything else. He took her to the cafeteria where the two of them sat with their lunches in front of them, Jeno began to eat his food and stared at Somin who just looked down at her food, not touching it.

“Eat up,” Jeno placed an egg roll onto Somin’s tray.

She looked up from her food, “What?”

“Eat up,” Jeno said again, eating his rice.

Somin looked around them and finally noticed how they were being stared at by other students, both Wangyun and Seoul Central High. It was unusual for the students to see the pair together, especially eating together. Jeno noticed how Somin’s eyes were concentrated on the stares that they were being given and sent a glare at the other students as a warning, immediately the students averted their eyes from the pair. When Stray Kids entered the cafeteria to get their food their attention went straight to the table in the center of the cafeteria where Jeno and Somin were sitting together.

Felix clenched his jaw at the sight and turned away from the group, “I lost my appetite,” he said.

“Wait up Felix!” Jiyun followed after him.

“Are we going to sit with her?” Jeongin asked, nodding his head over to Somin.

Chan shook his head, “Not today, maybe another day,” he led the rest of Stray Kids outside.

Somin spent the rest of lunch awkwardly eating with Jeno, she didn’t say much to him but rather focused on eating, or rather trying to. Every now and then her mind would wander off to Felix and she would have to blink back the tears that were forming.

“What are you doing after school today?” he asked.

“What?” Somin looked up from the food she had been picking at.

“Do you have any plans after school today?” Jeno asked.

Somin shook her head before nodding, “I have to pick up my brother from school and take him home.”

“Just stay after school, I’ll get someone else to pick him up and drop him off at home,” Jeno looked back down at his food.

“What?” Somin asked.

Jeno slammed his chopsticks down onto the table, “Just stay after school, I’ll take care of him,” his voice came out harsher and louder than intended. Students around them had gone quiet to watch his outburst. Seeing how Jeno took things a bit too far he sighed and stood up from his seat, leaving his tray on the table, and marched out of the cafeteria. Somin sat there stunned and trying to register what had happened.

When school ended Somin stayed in the classroom just as Jeno had ordered her to before he left. Meanwhile, Jeno stood on the rooftop, taking a long puff from his cigarette.

“Do I really have to hyung?” Jisung whined on the phone.

“Yes,” Jeno answered sternly.

“But hyung,” Jisung whined, “I’m not good with kids, they scare me.”

Jeno scoffed, “You are the kid. Just get the kid, drop him off at home and come back on time,” he ordered.

Jisung let out a long sigh, “What if he tries to run away?”

“Then chase after him. Bye,” Jeno hung up his phone.

The skies had turned dark before Jeno went to go get Somin who was still in the classroom. Her head was nestled in her arms that acted as a cushion, she had fallen asleep on her workbook.

“Somin,” Jeno shook her shoulder, she stirred for a bit before her eyes fully adjusted to her surroundings. The classroom lights were still on but it was completely dark out along with the hallways. Everyone had already left school and it was just the two of them in the classroom. “Follow me,” Jeno ordered. Quietly Somin packed up her things into her backpack and followed after Jeno who waited for her at the door.

“Where are we going?” she asked when they were in the hallway.

“Just follow me,” Jeno grabbed onto her wrist so that she wouldn’t fall behind. He took her into the next building and up multiple flights of stairs before the two reached the rooftop. When Jeno pushed open the door, everyone had turned to them. “What?” Jeno sneered at them and the students turned away, going back to enjoying the music.

“What are we doing here?” Somin whispered to him.

Jeno turned back so that he was facing her, “We just thought it was time to introduce you to this,” he let go of Somin’s wrist he had been holding and motioned to the party that was on the rooftop.

“We?” Somin asked.

“We,” another voice answered. Jaemin sauntered over to the two with a wine cooler in hand, “Want one?” he held out his own to Somin to which she shook her head in response. He shrugged, “You’re more than welcome to use the rooftop any time,” he told Somin.

“What do you mean?” she asked, confused of what was going on around her.

Jaemin shrugged again, “I just have a feeling we’ll be seeing each other a lot more often.”

“Come on,” Jeno grabbed onto her wrist again and led her to where a stack of desks were. He sat on one before patting the spot next to him for Somin to sit. Reluctantly she sat next to him, multiple pairs of eyes had followed the two of them making her feel uncomfortable.

“Why am I here?” she asked Jeno.

“Because,” he gave her a small smile, “You’re one of us now.”

She shook her head, “No I’m not.” Her eyes went to the center of the roof where two males were fighting, “I’ll never be part of this.”

Jeno put a hand on her shoulder to relax her, at his touch, her tense shoulders relaxed a bit but she was still on edge being surrounded by people she didn’t know. “Just stay?” his eyes went over to the two students that were fighting, “They volunteered to fight.”

“Fine but only because I’m with you,” Somin said looking at Jeno whose eyes went back to her.

When Jeno was tired of watching the fights he decided to take Somin home on his motorbike. He pressed down on the break of his motorbike when the two had reached her house. Somin took off the helmet and looked up at the house she lived in. On the outside, it looked perfectly normal, one that a happy family would live in, but on the inside was a completely different story. Somin noticed how the living room light was on and dread-filled up inside her. Jeno took notice of the frown that had formed on her lips and took the helmet in her hands and put it back over her head before kicking the breaks back up and driving off. Jeno didn’t stop until the two had reached a park, the same park where he found her on the bridge.

“Here,” Jeno held out a melon soda for Somin.

“Thanks,” she took the green soda can from him. The two were seated on a bench that was in front of a fountain that was still on.

“Is everything alright?” Jeno was the one to ask.

Somin looked up from staring down at the unopened soda can in her hands, “What?” she asked.

Jeno took a sip of his own soda, “It’s just,” he paused trying to find the right words, “You space out a lot and you didn’t seem like you liked me before. I’m sure you wouldn’t have just let me take you anywhere before,” he shifted on the bench, straightening his back and avoiding eye contact with her. For a second he peeked a glance at her to see her staring at him with big, round eyes and he quickly looked away.

“No,” she shook her head as tears started to stream down her face.

Startled Jeno put his soda can down, “Don’t cry,” he started, unsure of what to say.

“I hate it here,” she cried as she clutched onto the soda can as though it would help. “I don’t know where it went wrong. I don’t know what I did or what I didn’t do. He cheated on me and I don’t have anyone to blame but myself,” she sobbed. Hesitant at first, Jeno wrapped both his arms around her and pulled her to his chest where she continued crying. Her hands let go of the soda can and instead clutched onto him. Her sobs became muffled, but they were still enough to vibrate through his chest and made him angered that anyone would cause pain to her.

That night Felix was roaming through the park as he did every night since the day Somin left. He had come every night in hopes that he would see her and get a chance to talk to her. As he walked from the bridge to the fountain he saw two figures on a bench.

Somin had stopped crying, and fast asleep in Jeno’s chest. The male noticed her crying had ceased but continued to run his hand through her hair to comfort her.

Seeing the two made Felix’s chest clenched and he turned away to avoid being seen by the two.