Chapter 9

Still I Remember

 

“Aw…hyung, come on,” Sungjong whine on the phone.

 

The voice of Woohyun chuckling could be heard at the other side. “It’s the end of your exam, Sungjong. If you want to celebrate, you should celebrate with your friends,”

 

“But I want to celebrate with you,”

 

“You should celebrate with your friends and spend time together. You won’t see them later for semester break.”

 

Sungjong pouts. True. It’s the last day of exam and to celebrate, he and his friends went to Paradise Bar to drink. They have to emptying their dorm starting tomorrow and he won’t see his friends until the new semester starts. But Sungjong want to spend time with Woohyun instead. It has been two weeks since he last saw the older because he was too busy studying and Woohyun busy with work. He really miss the older and he can’t wait until tomorrow evening to meet him. So he used the celebration excuses just to see Woohyun earlier.

 

Woohyun chuckles again at the other side. “I can’t Sungjongie. I’m sorry.”

 

That pulls Sungjong from his sulking. “Why? Did you have plan, hyung?”

 

“Yeah…” Sungjong can see the smile in Woohyun’s voice. “I’m going to watch a movie with Sunggyu hyung,”

 

“Oh…” Sungjong feels his heart drop by the news. “Th…then…”

 

“I will cook your favourite tomorrow. And we can go out to celebrate after that. Or you want to ride bicycle at Yeouido?”

 

Sungjong smiles happily. “Anything. We will do anything you like, hyung.”

 

Woohyun laugh. “That won’t do. We should do what you want to do since we’re celebrating your last exam for the semester,”

 

“Hurm…then…we should…”

 

“Yah, Sungjong. Are you done? When are you going to come in?” The voice of Sungjong’s friend, Son Youngtaek cut his speech. Sungjong turns to the bar’s entrance seeing Yongtaek waiting for him. “Hyung,” he says to the phone.

 

“You should go now, Sungjongie. You can tell me later what you want to do tomorrow. Okay? Now go have fun with your friends,” Woohyun says on the other line.

 

“Okay, Woohyun hyung. You enjoy yourself too.”

 

They say their goodbye and whishing each other good night before Sungjong end the call. He runs to Yongtaek and together the two climbing down the stairs to the bar. The sound of music greets him as soon as Yongtaek opens the door. It was Friday night and there are not many people in the bar. There are only a couple of tables filled, including Sungjong’s friends and…Sunggyu hyung?

 

Sungjong’s eyes widen when he realize it is indeed Kim Sunggyu on one of the table. Beside him is none other than Lee Howon. Enraged, Sungjong runs to Sunggyu’s table, surprising Youngtaek.

 

“Yah, where are you going?” Youngtaek calls after him and follows slowly behind, grumbling.

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” Sungjong greets the elder at the table, ignoring Howon.

 

“Oh, Sungjong. Hi,” Sunggyu says. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I’m coming with my friends. But more importantly, why are you here, Sunggyu hyung?”

 

“Huh?” Sunggyu tilted his head. “I came to drink with Howon. His interview went well and if everything is good, I will call the whole group to celebrate.”

 

Howon punch Sunggyu lightly on the arm, feeling embarrassed. “It’s too early to be happy, hyung,”

 

“What? It’s true. I’m sure you will get the job, Howon. Trust me,” Sunggyu says proudly.

 

“Sunggyu hyung,” Sungjong calls through gritted teeth. He was mad. He was freaking mad. “Why are you here?”

 

“What’s wrong, Sungjong? I told you we’re drinking. Why? You want to join us?”

 

“You…aren’t you supposed to be with Woohyun hyung right now?” He can’t believe this older man. Why is he here if he already had plan with Woohyun? How can he enjoy drinking with Howon while his boyfriend waiting for him in the cold night? Even though its summer, the night air is cool and Sungjong can hear the wind blowing on the other line just now.

 

“Woohyun? Why would…oh, we already cancel,” Sunggyu replies nonchalantly.

 

“Cancel? When?”

 

“Before I came in here,”

 

“And how long you have been here?”

 

“What’s wrong, Sungjong? You talking too much,” Howon complains jokingly.

 

“Shut up.” Sungjong glare at Howon, ignoring Sunggyu’s stern voice scolding him. “How long have you been in here?”

 

“We just arrived. In ten minutes, I guess?”

 

Sungjong can hear his heart beat despite the loud music in the bar. “You sure you had cancel on Woohyun hyung? Because I just talked to him and he is still waiting for you.”

 

Sunggyu stunned. “No way. I did send him a message telling him I can’t come,”

 

“You already told him, hyung. It’s Woohyun’s fault if he didn’t read your message and still waiting,” Howon says.

 

“Sunggyu hyung…” Sungjong balled his fingers in a fist, trying to calm his anger. “How worse can you be?” And he turns around, ignoring Sunggyu and Youngtaek’s call his name. Sungjong runs out of the bar, fishing his hand phone to call on the number one of his speed dial.

 

-----------

 

Woohyun spend more times together with Sungyeol and Sunggyu in Business Department since Sunggyu and Woohyun’s relationship are doing better, hence the sunbae change to hyung. Sunggyu’s friends are teasing him about being a jerk to the younger the last semester. Sunggyu would fake an anger just to scold them and lying about his unfairness to Woohyun. Sunggyu’s friends really like Woohyun because they can save some money for snacks since the younger usually came with cookies or muffin or sometimes kimbab. Sunggyu would scold them because they’re using Woohyun for their own benefit. And his friends would later teasing him for being Woohyun’s boyfriend as he care so much for him than his friends.

 

The first time Sunggyu and Woohyun going out together just the two of them was when Sugyeol had to ditch Woohyun all of a sudden. The two best friends just took a seat at the canteen near the library when Sungyeol got a phone call from his lecturer. Sungyeol excuse himself and runs away but met with Sunggyu on his way out. So Sungyeol ask the senior to eat his already bought meal with Woohyun. It will be a waste if they throw it away. So Sunggyu did.

 

Eating together, just the two of them, without the nosy friends and teasing Sungyeol breathing over their necks prove to be fun. Sunggyu learn more about Woohyun and he find the kid as an interesting friend. He then knows about Woohyun being an only child so he is the apple in his family’s eyes. He is strong like his father and a good home person like his mother. He learns cooking and baking from his mother and grandmother because he likes to eat and he really love it when people eat his dishes.

 

The second time they eat together was when Sunggyu ditch his friends when he saw Woohyun eating alone in a small restaurant. He was walking with his friends when he saw Woohyun from the restaurant window, sitting all by himself playing with his hand phone. He greets him and later joining him in his late lunch. Sungyeol had a full schedule that day and Woohyun too hungry to reach home, so he drop in to have a bite. That day, Sunggyu learn about the book Woohyun borrowed from the restriction section the day they bump each other. Woohyun is a Computer Science student and he needs a book about art in Ancient Korea. According to Woohyun, the book was too old and brownish, that’s why they keep them in the safety of the restriction section. Usually, the ancient books can only be read on the premise of the restriction section. How Woohyun got to borrow them for a whole week was a misery to Sunggyu.  

 

The third time they went out together was when Woohyun was gloomy and moody. Sungyeol said Woohyun’s laptop was infected with virus and he was in the middle of an important assignment. He sent the laptop to repair but it take at least two days and he have to be prepared to lost everything in his disk. Sunggyu take Woohyun out for ice cream to cheer him up. And cheer up he did. Woohyun was smiling the second he taste the sweet ice. Sunggyu told him to be positive and pray that everything is fine.

 

The fourth time they went out just the two of them was when Woohyun treat Sunggyu to drink at Paradise Bar. When Woohyun got his laptop back, half of the files in his disk were ruined, including the important assignment he was working on. Since the time is tight, he works in full mode for a week from the scratch. His hard work and composedness paid off. He got an outstanding mark for the assignment. And Woohyun knows he can’t get the same result if he continued and send the ruined first assignment. All happen for a reason, and Woohyun can’t thank Sunggyu enough. So he treats the older for a drink. Just the two of them.

 

The fifth time they went out together was for a movie. Sunggyu got two tickets for a movie premier and he specially asks Woohyun to go with him. After movie, they went to dinner in a restaurant facing Han River.

 

“Go out with me, Woohyun,” Sunggyu says all of a sudden.

 

“Huh? Aren’t we’re already out now, hyung?” Woohyun tilted his head.

 

“No, I mean…I like you.”

 

Ba-dump.

 

“Will you date me, Nam Woohyun?”

 

What happen after that is a blur to Sunggyu. Because Woohyun abruptly excuse himself and left the elder all alone at the restaurant. Sunggyu had imagined a possibility of a rejection but he never thought the younger would do it so brutally. Sunggyu went back home with a foul mood and he declare his hatred to the younger. He swear he won’t see him again, won’t talk to him and he will block him from his hand phone. True to his words, Sunggyu didn’t see Woohyun for the whole week and he did block him as soon as he reaches home. But the first day of the next week, Woohyun had sent Sunggyu a video through email. The video made beautifully, complete with flowers, balloons and hearts flying around the screen. Woohyun made himself and Sunggyu as a cute cartoon characters. In the video, Woohyun apologize for leaving without proper excuse and he also apologizes for not contacting the older. He admitted that he was nervous and frustrated because he was working on the video to confess to Sunggyu but the older had beat him to it. He knows from Sungyeol that Sunggyu was pretty mad at him so Woohyun work on the video quicker, to apologize and to confess and to asking the other out.

 

Woohyun never felt so happy when he saw Sunggyu smiling at the video confession. Before Sunggyu can unblock the younger on his phone and call him, Woohyun had walk up to him with a miniature of Sunggyu and Woohyun standing facing each other with a heart shape balloon over their head. Woohyun kissed Sunggyu’s check shyly for the first time. And the cheeky Sungyeol caught the act with his camera phone.

 

---------

 

Woohyun look at the photo of the first cheek kiss he give Sunggyu on his hand phone. He had used the photo as his hand phone wallpaper since the minute Sungyeol sent them to him. He rubs Sunggyu’s face with his thumb. His finger shaking, his eyes glassy, his lips trembling.

 

“Do you love me still, Sunggyu hyung?” he asks the photo sadly. “I miss you, hyung. I really really really miss you.”

 

Woohyun lift his head to look at the sky. It’s dark. As dark as the feeling in his heart. He didn’t know since when Sunggyu and him is drifting apart. The calls had tone down, the messages are brief and had no feeling, the meets would always with other people, the kiss…there was no kiss, and the hug…it’s short and it’s not enough.

 

Woohyun quickly brush his tears away before it can fall from the brink of his eyes. He pocketed his hand phone and stand up from the bench he frequent since an hour ago. He walks away from the theatre building, hands in his jacket pocket, ignoring people walking pass him. He blocks every noise of talks, the sound of tyres running on the road, the blinking traffic lights and the music of shops. He walks aimlessly, not knowing where to go. He can’t go back home because his housemates know he would be late that night, and they would get worry if he come earlier than he supposed to. They had worried enough and he doesn’t want to involve them in his love life.

 

But no matter how much Woohyun blocked the sounds, a voice of an angry young man, followed by a couple of sneer remarks, caught his ears. He looks around and saw a few people quickly walk away. He quickens his pace.

 

One step.

 

Two step.

 

Three step.

 

He comes across a group of high schoolers surrounding a couple in a circle. The heroic instinct and sense of justice in him trigger at the view of a possibility bully. He was in a bitter mood and a good fight will do him good to vent his frustration.

 

“High school students over there, what are you guys doing?” he asks as he walk closer to them, slowly like a beast hunting its prey.

 

----------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.