Chapter 5

Still I Remember

 

The second time Sunggyu saw Woohyun was just like in a drama. Someone running and crash onto someone, books and papers flies, they crunching down to pick up their belongings, hands touching, and love spark in the air. No. No. No.

 

It was not happen like drama. Well…in fact, it was a little bit like drama.

 

Sunggyu was walking to the library, holding a cup of ice coffee when someone run pass him, hitting him on the shoulder and knock his coffee from his hand. What worse, that boy just runs to the library without looking back.

 

Sunggyu was throwing sharp daggers to the back of the boy, remembering his shirt and swear to caught him and give him a piece of his mind, when he heard someone came from behind him.

 

“I’m really sorry,” that person says. “I’m…Sunggyu sunbae?”

 

Sunggyu turns his head, attempting to vent his anger to the new comer. It’s Lee Sungyeol, his junior in Business Department.

 

Sungyeol quickly bowed his head. “I’m really sorry, sunbae,”

 

“Why are you apologizing?” Sunggyu asks, his anger slowly fade, very slowly.

 

“It’s my friend.” Sungyeol pointed to the direction of the boy knocked him over. “He was rushing to return the book. The borrow and return counter will close in a minute,”

 

“It was not.” Now Sunggyu feels his anger coming back. First, a boy knocks him over and makes him spill his coffee, and now another boy who is his junior lying to him? It just fortunate it didn’t caught on his shoes or clothes.

 

“No, of course not. I mean the restriction section. The counter for the restriction section will be close soon. If Woohyun didn’t return the book today, he has to pay the late fine or maybe his name blacklisted from the section,”

 

“Serve him right. Who told him to be so careless? He should come earlier then,” Sunggyu says angrily as he move his feet, continuing his journey to the library. He doesn’t want to know why someone wants to go to the restriction section.

 

“Something happen and stop him from coming earlier,” Sungyeol try to reason out, following after him.

 

“Yeah, whatever.”

 

They climb the stairs to the library building, with Sungyeol apologizing for his friend’s behaviour and Sunggyu put deaf ears on him. They’re close to the library entrance when the said boy who knock Sunggyu over step out from the building. He runs to Sungyeol when he saw him.

 

“I made it!” he says cheerfully.

 

Sungyeol grabs Woohyun’s arm and pulls him to the side, slightly away from Sunggyu. “Yah, you knock over my sunbae and spill his ice coffee.”

 

Woohyun widen his eyes, genuinely surprise. “I did?”

 

“Yeah. And what worse, you didn’t even turn back or apologize.”

 

Woohyun turns around quickly but the senior was nowhere to be found.

 

Sunggyu had left the duo and went inside the library. He is not stupid. He knows that face. And he didn’t wish to make acquaintance with the boy. He can smell trouble and he didn’t wish to get himself in it.

 

The first time he saw Woohyun was when the boy was fighting with a group of boys. He didn’t know what happen but he deem the boy as an idiot, fighting alone with a bunch of trouble kids. Don’t want to get in trouble, Sunggyu left the scene, passing by a couple of policemen running toward them.

 

The third time Sunggyu saw Woohyun was the next couple of days. Woohyun come with Sungyeol to the Business Department to apologize properly. He brings an ice chocolate and lemon cake to pay back for his rudeness. Sunggyu brush him off at first, saying he forgave him when in truth, he really didn’t want anything to do with the kid.

 

But Woohyun didn’t stop. It was as if he knows he was not really forgiven. So he sent desserts to Sunggyu, usually using Sungyeol as a postman, or sometimes he gives them himself. Sunggyu’s classmates benefited from them because Sunggyu always give the desserts to them instead of eating them himself. He thought if he pass the desserts right in front of Woohyun’s eyes, the boy will stop coming.  

 

And stop coming he did. Woohyun mumbled what a jerk Sunggyu was. Woohyun spent his own pocket money to make the sweets and gives them to Sunggyu to apologize but the older student didn’t appreciate it. Sunggyu was mad, he said it was Woohyun’s own fault to make the desserts and come to the department when he had forgiven.

 

Sunggyu didn’t see Woohyun until the new semester start. Sunggyu won’t admit to it but truthfully he kind of miss the boy in the months he didn’t see him. What worse, the boy came haunting him in his sleep. And he doesn’t even know why.

 

On the registration day, Sunggyu saw Woohyun sitting on a bench outside of the university office. His feet move toward the bench before he can stop himself.

 

“Hey,” he greets.

 

Startled, Woohyun just nods his head, mumbling a hey back.

 

“Are you waiting for Sungyeol?”

 

He nods. “Yeah,”

 

“Can I sit?” he asks, pointing to the space beside Woohyun. Again the younger nods his head before Sunggyu take a seat. “You’re really close with Sungyeol. You even wait for him,”

 

“Because we came together, we live together. After this we will go to…”

 

“You live together?” Sunggyu cut him off.

 

“Uh…yeah…” Woohyun blink his eyes, startled.

 

“Are you…” Sunggyu gulp his saliva. He feels his throat tightens and his chest heavy. “Are you and Sungyeol dating?”

 

“What? No!” Woohyun jumps from his seat, surprising Sunggyu and a couple of students pass by their bench.

 

“I’m sorry. You don’t have to be so shock,” Sunggyu quickly says, pulling Woohyun to sit back down.

 

Woohyun lowered his bottom on the bench. “That was the weirdest question people asks me,”

 

“Well…” Sunggyu rubs his hair. “You two are awfully close. You even said you live together,”

 

“We’re best friend. We’re coming from the same hometown. Since we go to the same university, it’s better to live together to save money,” Woohyun explain.

 

“Oh…you’re best friend…” It was more of a statement, a relief statement rather than question.

 

“Yes, we’re best friend, sunbae. Don’t be ridiculous,” Woohyun says, a hint of warning, a hint of whining, a hint of pouting in his voice.

 

Sunggyu laugh, the first time he laugh talking with Woohyun in front of Woohyun. Genuine laughs that even make the other’s lips form his greasy smiles.

 

Sunggyu pats Woohyun’s hair. “I’m sorry I was a jerk to you before,”

 

“And I’m sorry I knock you over without looking back and without apologizing right away.”

 

Sungyeol walking out from the office building and caught a sight he never thought to see. His Sunggyu sunbae is patting Woohyun’s head, smiling fondly at him while Woohyun smiling happily at the older that he looks shining under the sun.

 

-----------

 

Other than drink night, the group also have a movie night, in the trio’s apartment. They have a 55 inch television screen and home theatre system. This week, Sungjong determined to watch a horror movie to vent out his stress over assignments. At first, Sungyeol just mean of inviting only Sunggyu over, without Dongwoo, without Howon. But Sunggyu went out of his way to self-invite the other two, much to Sungyeol’s frustration.

 

Sunggyu came with Howon and Dongwoo, bringing drinks and snacks over while Sungjong and Sungyeol preparing pillows and blankets to make sure they’re comfortable enough through the movie. Woohyun is making drinks and popcorn in the kitchen with the help of Myungsoo.

 

Sunggyu went straight to the kitchen with the plastic bags, oblivious that Howon tailed after him. He smiles seeing Myungsoo sneak a quick hand and steal popcorn, resulting in Woohyun nagging at him teasingly. Myungsoo chuckles, hugging Woohyun from the back to calms him down.

 

“Hey,” Sunggyu greets them, putting the bags on the table.

 

“Sunggyu hyung!” Woohyun calls happily, quickly went to Sunggyu’s side and throw his arms around his boyfriend.

 

Sunggyu laughs as he return the hug, patting his head and brushing his hair. He push the smaller boy slightly to look him in the eyes. “How are you, Woohyunie?”

 

“I’m good. I miss you, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu laugh again. “I miss you too.” He signals the bags with his small eyes. “I bought chicken and soda. Don’t want to be too drunk to watch a movie, eh?”

 

Woohyun grins. “Of course. You go have a seat first, hyung. I will prepare them,”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Eung! It’s okay. Myungsoo is…” Woohyun turns his head slightly to the back. “Yah! Kim Myungsoo!” He pulls from Sunggyu’s arms and went to Myungsoo’s side.

 

Sunggyu chuckles, seeing Woohyun hit on Myungsoo’s arm lightly. Apparently Myungsoo had sneakily grabs a hand full of popcorn into his mouth, taking the chance when Woohyun bask in the arm of his lover.

 

Sunggyu turns around to go to the living room, but a little surprise seeing Howon not far from where he stood before.

 

“See, no different than a puppy,” Howon whispers when Sunggyu walks pass him.

 

Ignoring him, Sunggyu just went to the television, where Dongwoo hold a serious discussion with the brothers. Howon watch Woohyun and Myungsoo, playing around, teasing each other and ended up with Myungsoo once again back hug Woohyun. He throws a disgusted face at them before he too turns around and follows after Sunggyu.

 

The movie is starting when Woohyun and Myungsoo come out from the kitchen with the snacks and drinks. Sungyeol and Sunggyu both sit on the couch, with an empty space between them. Sungjong sits on the floor with his back on the foot of the couch, Howon lie beside him and beside Howon at his left is Dongwoo, already hugging a pillow to his eyes. Woohyun hand over the bowl of popcorn to Sungjong, the younger then put them in between himself and Howon. Myungsoo lie beside Dongwoo, making the older jump in surprise feeling a presence beside him. Woohyun went to the couch and sits in between Sunggyu and Sungyeol, the bowl of popcorn in his lap.

 

“Why…why are we watching a horror movie?” Dongwoo whine for the nth time.

 

“Because I want to watch them,” Sungjong replies, throwing popcorn into his mouth.

 

“That’s why you shouldn’t come…” Sungyeol whispers to himself, but Woohyun heard him clear.

 

Woohyun leaned closer to his best friend, whispering to his ear. “What do you mean?”

 

“I told Sunggyu hyung to not ask Dongwoo hyung and Howon to join because Sungjong want to watch a horror movie. You know how scared Dongwoo hyung is…” Sungyeol whispers back.

 

Woohyun nods his head, understanding Sungyeol’s concern. He pulls himself from Sungyeol, and leaned toward Sunggyu, his head on the elder’s shoulder.

 

Throughout the movie, Dongwoo had whine and jump a couple of time and Myungsoo had to calm him down. Sunggyu too had move slightly, trying to find a comfortable position, making Woohyun had to wait until he is still enough to cuddle with him again. Woohyun had his head on Sunggyu’s shoulder and one arm around Sunggyu’s tummy. Sunggyu seems to feel awkward because he pulls Woohyun’s arm away.

 

“What’s wrong, hyung?” Woohyun whispers, trying to hug him again.

 

“Keep your hand to yourself,” Sunggyu warns, in whispers too.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“I’m uncomfortable and there’re a lot of people here.”

 

Woohyun looks at Sungyeol beside him and the others below him on the floor. “They’re too engrossed with the movie to care about us,”

 

“But I do care,” Sunggyu hiss.

 

Woohyun pulls his arm, straightens his position and put his hands on his lap. He feels his heart break by Sunggyu’s warning. Never, for all those years they have been together, that Sunggyu feels uncomfortable with his cuddling. Sunggyu knows Woohyun likes to snuggle, he never complain, he never push him away, and he never said he didn’t like them. Suddenly Woohyun’s thought flies to the weeks before when he went to Sunggyu’s house. He still remembers them, fresh and clear how Sunggyu claim sometime it was annoying and sometimes it was not. And Woohyun remember it too how Sunggyu said he still love Woohyun the same.

 

So why? Why all of a sudden Sunggyu push him away?

 

Woohyun give the bowl to Sungyeol, stand up and walk to the kitchen. It can’t be like this. He can’t let those ruin his night with Sunggyu. He miss Sunggyu and he has to make sure he get Sunggyu all to himself. They were perfectly fine before the movie start, Sunggyu hugs him and even said he miss him too.

 

“May be hyung just want to concentrate on the movie?” Woohyun mumbled to himself. “Yeah. It must be it. It is a horror movie, not a romantic movie. Of course hyung wants to focus without me clinging to his arm.”

 

Woohyun nods to himself. Yeah. He understands now. It must be it. Woohyun smiles. He will leave Sunggyu at that throughout the movie. He can always cuddle later when Sunggyu stay for the night. Woohyun take the chickens Sunggyu brought over and walk back to the living room. But his feet stop moving as soon as he reach the television area. His spot was filled the moment he left the couch. He knows he will only make a scene and Sunggyu will be mad at him if he asks Howon to move back to his spot on the floor. Feeling dejected, he went to Myungsoo’s side, sitting down rather than lying on the blanket, chicken in front of him. Myungsoo sits up when the smell of chicken attack his nostril. Dongwoo quickly followed, he was not that hungry but anything will do to make him tear his eyes away from the screen. Woohyun glance to the couch, to offer some chicken to the boys. In the dim light of the television screen, he can see Howon’s head on Sunggyu’s shoulder, hugging a pillow tightly while Sunggyu’s hand on Howon’s lap, as if to sooth him down from a scary scene.

 

-----------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.