Chapter 10

Still I Remember

 

Sungyeol and Myungsoo just arrived at the floor from running up the stairs when the lift to their right opens and out Sunggyu and Howon.

 

“Hyung dul,” Myungsoo greets, out of breath.

 

“Are you using the stairs?” Howon laughed.

 

Sungyeol and Sunggyu ignored them as they move their feet to the said ward. Sungyeol walks as fast as his long legs can take as not showing obvious run and Sunggyu is forced to follow his pace. Sungyeol glance at the room number on every door until he arrived to a number he got in the message.

 

“Sungyeol hyung!” Sungjong greets him as soon as he opens the door.

 

Sunggyu rush pass Sungyeol to the bed. Sungyeol went to Sungjong’s side, eyes on the patient. Woohyun is lying on the bed with his head, the corner of his left cheek, his left hand and his chest wrap in bandages. Sungyeol feels his heart beat crazily against his chest.

 

“This is…” He want to say something, anything, but his tongue tied in his mouth.

 

“Hyung…” Sungjong cried, clinging to Sungyeol’s arm as the older pulls him to his chest, patting his head. “Hyung, Woohyun hyung was…”

 

Sunggyu slump on the hospital chair, his hand found Woohyun’s right hand. Cold. The door to the ward opens and come in Myungsoo and Howon. The childhood friend had a bitter look on his face but as soon as he saw the bed, his face turns panicked and he runs to the brothers’ side. Howon walks calmly to Sunggyu.

 

“What really happen, Sungjong?” Myungsoo asks, eyes on the patient.

 

Sungjong shakes his head as he pulls away from Sungyeol’s chest, the elder’s arm lowered to his back, holding him close still. “I don’t know, hyung. When I found him, Woohyun hyung was lying on the ground. People said he got into a fight.”

 

It was faint, but Myungsoo caught the sneer coming from Howon. He glared at the unemployed man, feeling his anger rise up.

 

“Did anyone come? Police?” Sungyeol asks.

 

Sungjong nods. “The police just left before you arrived. They will search for surveillance camera,”

 

“There’s no need for surveillance camera. A fact is a fact. He got into a fight.” Howon sighs, looking at Sunggyu. “What did I told you, hyung? He is a bad boy who loves to fight and always get himself into one. He was lucky he never get into trouble. I’m surprise he always get away with police and his company didn’t fire him already,”

 

“Shut up! Shut up, you jerk imbecile idiot. You know nothing. Nothing!” Sungjong shouts from his spot, stunned everyone in the room.

 

Howon blinks his head. “Wha….How dare you talk to me like that. You…”

 

“Shut up!” Myungsoo glare at Howon. “Don’t you dare say anything.”

 

At a loss of word, Howon glance to Sunggyu, asking for support. “Hyung…”

 

Sunggyu say nothing. He rubs Woohyun’s hand with both of his hands, holding them close to his forehead. He is praying, asking whoever up there to wake Woohyun up.

 

Sunggyu’s mourning makes Sungjong sick to his stomach. He found the elder ludicrous and fake. “Hyung won’t be lying on the bed if you didn’t cancel on him.”

 

Startled, Sunggyu lift up his head and turns to face Sungjong.

 

“Hyung had been waiting for you, but you stood him up. He won’t get into that fight if you came like you had promised,” Sungjong says, full with venom in his voice.

 

“He won’t be here if he didn’t involve in that fight,” Howon replies, as bitterness as he can.

 

Myungsoo look at Howon with piercing eyes. Howon is not afraid of anything. Sure. But Myungsoo’s angry stare make him duck cowardly.

 

“You promise him, hyung. You were supposed to go out with him, but you cancel on him just to go out with this jerk.” Sungjong glower at Howon slightly. “How many times, hyung? How many times did you break your promises?”

 

“Sungjong, I…”

 

“Are you really Woohyun hyung’s boyfriend? Because I doubt you want to be with him at all.”

 

“What?” Sunggyu jump in his seat. “Sungjong…”

 

“You never care for him. You know nothing about him,”

 

“I do care for him. And I know everything about him.”

 

Sungjong smirk sadly. “You are? Then tell me, Sunggyu hyung. Why did you cancel on him if you already plan to watch a movie with him? Is Howon hyung more important than Woohyun hyung?”

 

“Sungjong, I told you…”

 

“You can drink tomorrow. You can celebrate later. But Woohyun hyung already wait for you,” Sungjong’s voice cracked in the brim of cries. “You rather go out with your friend than your boyfriend. This is what you mean you care?” Sungjong shakes his head. “You might just break up with Woohyun hyung and just date this jerk that had make you broke your promises again and again.”

 

Sunggyu is at a loss of words. He looks at Sungjong. The youngest in their small group never talk rudely to him. This is a first, the one only time he was bombarded with Sungjong’s heavy bashing. He slump in his seat, looking at Woohyun’s face. He is a jerk. He admit, when he realize he didn’t see how thinner Woohyun look.

 

----------

 

“Sungyeol…can we please…later?” Sunggyu sighs as he rubs his forehead.

 

“No. Let’s talk now, and I mean, now,” Sungyeol says firmly.

 

It’s Monday, it has been three days since Woohyun was hospitalized and still didn’t open his eyes. Sungjong stubbornly stay by Woohyun’s side. He left only twice when Sungyeol had to force him to go back to his dorm to pack his things, and Dongwoo had to pulls him out from the ward to give room for Sunggyu to be alone with the patient.

 

They want to take turn taking care of Woohyun but the youngest won’t leave the ward, ever. He sleeps by Woohyun’s side, clean his face, wash his feet, talking to him, just like a lover would be. He ignored Sunggyu mostly every time the elder came. And Sunggyu just left him be because he didn’t know how to face and how to talk to Sungjong after that night.

 

It’s Monday and it’s the start of semester break. Sungjong use this chance to stay and taking care of Woohyun when the elders are going out to work. He also use this as an excuse for not going back home to visit his parents as the original plan.

 

Sunggyu lift his head to face the taller man that looks down on him. The senior and junior are working in the same company but in different department. Sungyeol work with account while Sunggyu with production and planning. The taller came to the lower floor just to talk with the elder since he never get the chance to.

 

Sunggyu sighs, sensing the eyes on them. This is not the first time Sungyeol came to meet him and Sunggyu’s colleagues on the floor knows about the two relationship as members in the same university department. Sungyeol did bring lunch box for Sunggyu a couple of time, courtesy of his lover. Or they eat together sometimes with other friends or just the two of them. Or they joke around teasing each other about their work. And the colleagues also learn that Sunggyu is dating Sungyeol’s best friend.

 

Sunggyu eyed the miniature of Woohyun and him, the one Woohyun gave him on the day they start dating, on the top of his work desk. He feels his eyes start to water. Then he stands up from his seat.

 

“Come,” he says, turns around and walk to the direction of a small discussion room not far from his station.

 

Sungyeol close and lock the door as Sunggyu take a seat on the head of the table. The taller scan Sunggyu distressed face as he stood still, his body leaning against the door.

 

“Why are you still there?” Sunggyu asks. “What did you want to talk?”

 

Sungyeol sighs. “First of all, I’m sorry for whatever Sungjong said and did these days. He is…really protective of Woohyun.”

 

Sunggyu nods. “I know, and I understand.”

 

Sungyeol eyed the elder. No, you don’t understand. And I don’t either. But we will go there later after Woohyun wake up. “Secondly, may I ask, hyung, about that vacation we went to before?”

 

“Why? Is something wrong?”

 

“That vacation, was it really for us? Is it right for us to go with you to the lake house? Because it was so sudden and we never plan it.”

                               

Sunggyu chuckle bitterly. “You already went. Why did you ask now?”

 

“Please, answer me, hyung.”

 

Sunggyu sighs. “Actually it was Woohyun’s plan. He wants to go together but I invite you guys because I want to spend time with you guys. Plus Howon need a breather from his job seeking adventure.”

 

Sungyeol is flabbergasted. His mouth open and close, open and close a couple of times like a dead fish. “So it was supposed to be Woohyun and your holiday…” he whispers. “Why did you ask us to join you hyung? You could go with Woohyun, just the two of you.”

 

Sunggyu shrugged. “Like I said…”

 

“And please stop with this Howon nonsense.” Sungyeol rubs his face frustratedly. “Woohyun was right. Myungsoo was right. Sungjong was right,”

 

“What is it, Sungyeol? Is something wrong?” Sunggyu asks worriedly.

 

Sungyeol fish out his hand phone from his pocket, key in and scrolling on the phone. He paddle closer to the elder and shows a photo on his screen. It was the photo of them at the lake with Woohyun standing at the corner.

 

“What’s wrong with this photo?” Sunggyu asks, didn’t understand.

 

“We’re playing but Woohyun just watching at the side.” Sungyeol swipes to the next photo. It was of Woohyun by the balcony watching everyone playing at the pool. “We just arrived but we went to play, forgetting about him. Woohyun slaved himself cleaning and cooking but none of us helping him.”

 

The next photo. It was of the startled Woohyun at the kitchen when he realizes his photo was taken. Sunggyu smiles at the photo warmly. Woohyun look cute with his widen eyes and O shape lips.

 

“Did you see his eyes, hyung?”

 

Sunggyu lift up his head to the taller. “What’s wrong with his eyes? Is he sick?”

 

“No, hyung. He is sad. It was the eyes of someone heartbroken but he tries to hide them from us,”

 

“He is sad…?” Sunggyu turns to look at the photo again. It’s hard to admit but Woohyun’s larger eyes indeed looks gloomy than his usual shine and brightening.

 

“That first night at the lake house, Sungjong told me Woohyun was crying.”

 

Sunggyu jump in his seat, facing his junior. “He cried?”

 

Sungyeol nods his head. “He said he had a nightmare but we doubt he cried because of it.” He sighs. “Now tell me, hyung. Is it right for us to go to the vacation? Because I really am feeling guilty to Woohyun,”

 

“I…” Sunggyu lowered his head. “I…don’t know,”

 

“Why did you invite us to the vacation if Woohyun ask you to go, hyung? Don’t you think Woohyun wants to spend time with just you?”

 

Silence.

 

Sunggyu didn’t have the answer Sungyeol needed. Because he really don’t. He never thought and he never imagined.

 

“Third. When was the last time you went out on a date with Woohyun?”

 

“What? Why did you ask?”

 

“Because hyung, I really didn’t remember when was the last time you two spend time together, just the two of you.” He sighs. “I know it’s not my place to interfere with your love life, but hyung, Woohyun is my best friend where I live with in the same house. You have no idea how many times Woohyun woke up smiling and happily told us he will go on a date with you, only to be back home all sad and depressed because you had cancel on your plans.”

 

Sunggyu jump off his seat, startling the younger. He went to the opposite side of the door, rubbing his face, frustrated. He didn’t believe in himself. Woohyun was sad and he didn’t saw it. Woohyun get skinnier and he didn’t realize it. Woohyun was paler and he never asks a thing.

 

When was the last time he went out on a date with Woohyun?

 

Sunggyu asks himself.

 

When?

 

He didn’t have an answer. Because he really didn’t remember when. He had planned, he had asked Woohyun to meet, he bought movie tickets, he had reserved a table at a fancy restaurant, he wants to go out and play. But at the end? He cancels all of the plans.

 

Why? Why, Kim Sunggyu? Why?

 

Sunggyu wants to scream, he feels furious, he feels disappointed, he wants to scold himself, he wants to punch and kick and kill himself. Why? How can this happen? Why are you being such a jerk?

 

“Fourth…” Sungyeol says slowly, but he sure the elder heard him. “Do you still love Woohyun, hyung? Because right now we really think you didn’t.”

 

Sunggyu spun around, shock. “What? I…of course I…”

 

“And I think…Woohyun think so too…”

 

------------------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.