Chapter 11

Still I Remember

 

Woohyun and Sungyeol are walking down the street after the school end. They are talking and joking around, never minded other students walking home just like them. Sometimes they walk with Myungsoo and sometimes they walk just the two of them. Today is one of the times where Myungsoo is not with them because he has photography club meeting and Woohyun is going to Sungyeol’s house to play.

 

“It has been a week, right? Since I last saw Sungjong,”

 

“I don’t know. You tell me.” Sungyeol shrugged. “But you came to my house two days ago. You didn’t see Sungjong then?”

 

Woohyun shakes his head. “He locked himself in his room, right? He refused to come out even if I bribe him with rolled omelette,”

 

“That kid.” Sungyeol shakes his head. “I wonder what’s wrong with him,”

 

“May be it was that time? Rebellious stage?” Woohyun wondered, finger on his lips.

 

“May be…” Sungyeol shrugged. “I just hope his rebellious stop sooner. I don’t want him to be like you,”

 

“What? Since when? I’m far done with that stage already,”

 

“Yeah, right.” Sungyeol grins, showing his gums. “You’re still fighting whenever you saw one. That’s not rebellious?”

 

“No, it’s not!” Woohyun gawk at him. “It was me being the hero everyone needed,”

 

“You know, Woohyun. I’m really happy you help anyone in need. But really, your senses of justice have to stop. You will put yourself in danger,”

 

“I will be fine. The police like me,”

 

“I don’t mean the police, I mean your health, your body. One wrong move, you will end up in hospital,” Sungyeol warns him.

 

“I will be extra careful. But aren’t I’m fine though? I never got more than a few stitches…”

 

“Woohyun!” Someone calls after him, running toward the two best friends.

 

Woohyun and Sungyeol stops walking, turning around just in time a student they know from another class catch up with them, out of breath.

 

“What’s wrong, Minhyuk?” Sungyeol asks, worried.

 

“They…they are fighting,” Minhyuk says, hands on his knees.

 

“Who?” Woohyun asks, alarmed.

 

“The boys, that school’s bullies. They’re fighting with the Phantom School’s bullies,” Minhyuk says, straightening his body. “It looks serious,”

 

“Where?” Woohyun shouts, grabbing Minhyuk’s arms.

 

“The…the park.” Minhyuk pointed to the way he came from.

 

Woohyun push the poor boy away and runs to the direction of the said park.

 

“Yah! Nam Woohyun!” Sungyeol shouts but Woohyun was far gone to hear him. “Aish!” He turns to Minhyuk. “You, call the police,”

 

“Wha…what?”

 

“Call police. Tell them about the fight.” And then he runs after his best friend, Minhyuk followed, calling the police in the process.

 

When Sungyeol reach the park, he saw two group of high school students were in the middle of an intense fight. Baseball bats, helmets and wooden sticks are throwing at each other. He can’t make out who wins and who were hit badly. His eyes searching frantically for his best friend.

 

“What happen?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“A damn bet about a girl from Blue Flame School. You know, the prettier and y girl famous in the town? That’s what I heard,” Minhyuk says, then he gasp. “Is that Woohyun?”

 

Sungyeol catch the sight of Woohyun. His heart stop at what he sees. Woohyun was hit on his head and back at the same time before he falls to his knees. He sees red and he scream, he runs out from his hiding place to go on a rescue, before a police siren could be heard coming their way.

 

-----------

 

Sungyeol and Sunggyu runs to the ward, startling the people inside. Woohyun is sitting on his bed, fidgety playing with his fingers. Sungjong is standing by the window, looking anxious and out of place.

 

“Woohyun,” Sunggyu calls. “Woohyun, you wake up.” He runs to the bed and gather the younger in his arms. “I’m so worried. Thank you. Thank you, God. Thank you.”

 

Woohyun’s eyes widen in surprise. He grabs the other’s arm and pushes him away. “Who…who are you, ahjussi?”

 

“Woohyun, I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I promise I won’t do it again,” Sunggyu beg as he tries to grab Woohyun’s hands in his.

 

But Woohyun pulls his hands, and leaning away from the older. “Who…who are you, ahjussi?”

 

“Woohyun?” Sunggyu asks, perplexed. “Woohyunie…” He stretch his hand to reach Woohyun’s.

 

Woohyun looks scared, and it worries Sunggyu and Sungyeol. Sunggyu scoot closer but Woohyun ready to jump from his bed.

 

“Woohyun, are you okay? What’s wrong?” Sungyeol asks, coming closer to the patient, opposite from Sunggyu.

 

“Sungyeol!” Woohyun greets him happily. He grasp Sungyeol’s hand and whispers. “Who is this ahjussi? A new policeman?”

 

“Woohyun?” Sungyeol widen his eyes, surprise. He sits down on the edge of the bed, grabbing Woohyun’s shoulder and shakes him slightly. “Woohyun! Are you okay?”

 

“Aww…stop it. My head hurt,” Woohyun whine, touching his bandaged head.

 

“Sorry,” Sungyeol says. “But, Woohyun. Are you okay? What’s wrong? Why didn’t you remember Sunggyu hyung?”

 

“Sung…who?” Woohyun tilted his head, then he clap his hands. “Oh, is he your hyung? You have the same name. Sung new ahjussi.” Pointed to Sunggyu. “Sungyeol.” Pointed to Sungyeol. “And Sungjong.” He pointed to still standing Sungjong but then he quickly lowered his hand. Smiling cheekily to Sungyeol. “Is everything okay?”

 

“No. Everything is not okay.” Sungyeol jumps from the bed. “What’s wrong with you, Woohyun?”

 

“What’s wrong with me?”

 

“Woohyun…?” Sunggyu calls him desperately.

 

Woohyun turns to face him. “Ahjussi, are you related to Sungyeol? Or are you the new policeman?” Then he gasp, turning to Sungyeol. “Yah, what happen to the boys?”

 

“What boys?” Sungyeol asks.

 

“Kibum and his friends. You know, the bullies in our school.”

 

Sungyeol looks at him like he had grown another head. He gulps his saliva. “Woohyun, how…how old are you?”

 

“Me? I’m 18, and in eleventh grade, the same as you,” he says, confused as to why Sungyeol asks the obvious question.

 

“What?” Sunggyu and Sungyeol shouts.

 

Woohyun look at Sunggyu, then back at Sungyeol. Tilting his head, confused. “Am I wrong?”

 

“Woohyun, how did you got into the hospital?”

 

“I’m trying to break the fights between our school and Phantom School. You know, I am the hero of justice,” he says showing his fist proudly.

 

“Oh God. No way…” Sungyeol’s foot move a step backward, too shock to say anything.

 

“What? What’s wrong, Sungyeol? What really happen here?”

 

“Hyung dul,” Sungjong calls, finally after the long silence he keeps. The two visitors, and also Woohyun look at him. “Woohyun hyung…lost his memory,”

 

“What?”

 

Sunggyu and Sungyeol went to see the doctor, leaving Woohyun and Sungjong alone in the ward. The senior and junior come back to the ward and see Myungsoo is already there and talking with Woohyun, with the patient clinging to his arm. Sungjong standing still on the window, looking more anxious than ever.

 

“Hyung dul,” Myungsoo greets them, stand up and rush to the end of the bed. Sunggyu went to the bed, the opposite side of Myungsoo’s previous spot. “What did the doctor said?”

 

Sungyeol told the housemate everything the doctor told them. Woohyun had severely injured on his head and chest. His left hand and left cheek will be healed in no time. But they need further examination on other injuries. Since it was a hard impact on the head, it was possible that Woohyun forgot something in his life. Woohyun’s memories had stop on a certain day, and everything that happens after that day was an alien to him. That means, including university, working, and Sunggyu.

 

“We should be thankful it’s not that bad,” Sungyeol sighs.

 

“Not that bad?” Sungjong asks. “Woohyun hyung forgot everything. How could you say it’s not that bad?”

 

“Sungjong…” He sighs again. “Woohyun would die because of the head injury. Thankfully he was just lost a bit of his memory.”

 

Sungjong keep his mouth shut. He wants to say something, to venture what he keep in his heart, but he can’t. He doesn’t know why he can’t say his frustration open.

 

“So…” Myungsoo glance at the patient. “Woohyun hyung thought he got in the hospital because of the fight in Eleventh Grade?”

 

Sungyeol nods. “It was the truth anyway,”

 

“Yeah…it is…” Myungsoo sighs sadly. “That was the first time Woohyun hyung got into the hospital because of a fight,”

 

“And we thought he could die. But he woke up after three days. And he was fine, only a few broken bones and scratches. But this…” Sungyeol shakes his head. “I have a bad feeling when I saw him first time the other day,”

 

“Yeah, he looks just like eight years ago, the head, the cheek, the hand. Only different is chest, the last time was his back.” Myungsoo sighs. “So, what can we do? Is there no chance of hyung remembering the lost memories?”

 

“We should give him time. We can’t force him to remember anything. It will only trigger headache and it might cause him his health, or worse, his life,” Sungyeol says, looking sadly at Sunggyu trying to tempt Woohyun into talking comfortably with him.

 

----------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.