Chapter 12

Still I Remember

 

“This is our house,” Sungyeol says as he opens the door and shows Woohyun the apartment they live together.

 

Woohyun walk to the living room, looking around in awed. Myungsoo stick by his side. Sungjong bring in his and Woohyun’s bag into the house, watching the closeness between Woohyun and Myungsoo with envy.

 

“We live here?”

 

“Eung!” Myungsoo nods. “We just move in the house last year,”

 

“This house is big…” Woohyun says, spun around in his heels to look every inch of the house.

 

“It is. Come. Let’s look at your room,” Myungsoo says, pulling Woohyun’s arm to his bedroom. “You have the biggest room, hyung.”

 

Sungyeol sighs as he slump his body on the couch. He rubs his temple with his thumb and forefinger, thinking the plans for Woohyun now forgotten life. What should he do and how can he do it?

 

“Should we tell his parents?” Sungjong asks, sitting on the floor facing the couch.

 

Sungyeol shakes his head. “We can’t. Woohyun’s grandmother is not feeling well right now. I’m afraid we will put her in danger if she learns about him,”

 

“But we can’t keep this forever,” Sungjong objected.

 

“Then we have to pray Woohyun will remember again soon.” He looks at the way Woohyun and Myungsoo disappear to. “Or we wait and see how it’s go. Whether Woohyun’s memories or his grandmother healing first.”

 

Sungjong groans. “I really hate this.”

 

Sungyeol smiles cheekily. “Why? Because Woohyun ignore you and went to Myungsoo instead?” He laugh when he received a glare from his little brother. “Give him time. He will slowly open up to you. But you, when are you going to go home? Umma has been asking about you.”

 

Sungjong shrugged. “Not going. I want to stay here and be with Woohyun hyung,”

 

“Aish, you. At least call umma. You didn’t call her since you finish your exam,”

 

“Yeah. Yeah. Latter,” he replies nonchalantly.

 

“We live in a smaller apartment before, since university until early last year. Then we move to this house,” Myungsoo says as he and Woohyun walk in to the living room.

 

“Oh…why did we move?” Woohyun asks as he sits on the couch.

 

“The house is bigger and each of us got a stable paying job, that’s why,” Myungsoo replies. He sits on the floor beside Sungjong, facing the couch.

 

“The owner of the house was your lecturer in university. He bought a bigger house, so he offers you to rent this house. We’re lucky because you got us a big bargain. If not, we will be in a tight to buy our food,” Sungyeol added.

 

Woohyun oh and ah, still didn’t believe his luck to live in the big comfortable house in his young age. “So we really live together eh? Just yesterday Myungsoo said he will follow me wherever I go,”

 

“What? Hyung, that was years ago,” Myungsoo whine and pouts.

 

Sungyeol laughs. “Not only him. Sungjong here too. I wonder if he follows me or he follows you.”

 

Woohyun keep his mouth shut as he glance at Sungjong, looking at him with full of hope. Then Woohyun turns his head to Myungsoo. “Is the kitchen big too?”

 

Sungjong’s body drop, feeling down that Woohyun still won’t acknowledge him. Myungsoo and Woohyun went to the kitchen, leaving the brothers alone.

 

“Give him time,” Sungyeol says, patting Sungjong’s shoulder.

 

----------

 

“Why are you going too?” Woohyun whine, clinging to Myungsoo’s arm.

 

“I have to work, hyung. I’m sorry,” Myungsoo says.

 

“But. But…what I’m supposed to do alone at home?”

 

“You can watch TV, you can play games. And you’re not alone, hyung. Sungjong will keep you company,”

 

“Myungsoo…” Woohyun cried. “Please don’t leave me alone with him.”

 

Myungsoo glance at Sungjong, standing not far away from them. He bites his cheeks to hold in his laugh seeing the dejected look on the younger’s face. If it was any other day, he would surely make fun of him. But today is not the right time. He knows how heartbroken Sungjong had feel, to have the older ignoring and scared of him, like a baby afraid of a stranger.

 

“Woohyun hyung.” Myungsoo pats Woohyun’s hand in his arm. “I’m sorry but I really have to go to work. You have to stay at home, hyung. Sungjong will take care of you, he won’t eat you,”

 

“I know he won’t eat me…” Woohyun’s eyes quiver. “But I’m scared…”

 

He pats Woohyun’s head next. “You’re a big boy, hyung. Aren’t you the hero of justice? A hero shouldn’t be scared.”

 

That does the trick. Woohyun straightening his posture and slowly loosen his hold on Myungsoo’s arm. “When…when are you coming back?”

 

“I will be back in the evening, but earlier than Sungyeol hyung. Sungjong will take care of your lunch,”

 

“I can cook!” Woohyun smiles happily.

 

Myungsoo grins. “Of course you can, anything that is fine with you. Now, you will be a good boy and wait for us to come back, okay?”

 

Woohyun nods his head, finally letting go of Myungsoo. The photographer smiles and bit goodbye to them before he shuts the door close.

 

The day went really slow and it suffocated. If it’s like any other day, Sungjong would be really happy to spend the day with his Woohyun hyung, just the two of them, without anyone else. But today…Sungjong sighs. Woohyun didn’t even look at him since the minute he woke up. He sits at the end of the couch and fidgety whenever Sungjong was in the same room as him. But Sungjong can’t leave the room either. He has to keep an eye on the older man, worried if anything bad happen to him. So to not make this hard on Woohyun, Sungjong would sits as far as possible, doing nothing but his eyes watching Woohyun.

 

“Let’s…let’s eat,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungjong jump to his feet, running to the dining table. “You ask me to eat?”

 

Woohyun nods his head, not looking at Sungjong. “Ye…yeah. Let’s eat.”

 

The table filled with the normal Korean home cooked meals; kimchi, soup, side dishes, and Woohyun’s kimchi stew. Woohyun prepared the table enough for the two of them, meaning he wants Sungjong to eat with him on the same table. Afraid the older might change his mind, Sungjong quickly sits down on the opposite side of him.

 

They eat in total silence, only the sounds of clinking utensils could be heard. This is fine. Sungjong told himself. This is the closest he gets to be with Woohyun since the older woke up from his unconsciousness. There are the car ride on the way home from the hospital but Woohyun was stick to Myungsoo like a koala. There are times when they’re in close proximity but Sungyeol or Myungsoo is present too. This is the first time they are this close when they’re the only two in the room.

 

Sungjong can feel Woohyun’s eyes on him but every time he lifts his head, Woohyun would quickly duck as if he didn’t steal a glance to the younger. Sungjong found this funny but it worries him too.

 

“Is something wrong, hyung?”

 

“I’m…I’m sorry,” Woohyun says, without lifting his head.

 

“Huh? What for?” Sungjong tilted his head.

 

“For ignoring you…” Woohyun whispers, as if afraid it will hurt the younger.

 

Sungjong put down his chopstick slowly. “Woohyun hyung…”

 

“I’m sorry,” Woohyun quickly says.

 

“Hyung, look at me,” Sungjong says softly, a hint of begging in his voice.

 

Woohyun slowly lift up his head. Sungjong smiles charmingly at him. Woohyun gulp his saliva.

 

“Are you…are you really Sungjong?”

 

Sungjong frowns. “Hyung. I am Sungjong. Look at me.” Sungjong puts his chin up his palms. “I am Lee Sungjong, your Sungjongie.”

 

Woohyun smiles shortly. “I’m sorry. It just…last week, you were only here.” Woohyun reach his hand to his side with his palm in centre with his shoulder. “But then I saw you, you were already here.” His palm lifts up as higher as his arm can reach. “You are even taller than me. You change so much, it scared me.”

 

Sungjong blinks his eyes. Once. Twice. “What? You were scared because I’m changed?”

 

“Eung!” Woohyun nods. “You were different. It’s not fair,”

 

“What is?”

 

“You grow up so fast. Where my cute Sungjongie goes to? It’s not fair because I didn’t see you growing up.”

 

Sungjong laughs, a genuine happy laugh. “Oh, Woohyun hyung. You scared me.”

 

Woohyun pouts. “What? You tried waking up seeing everyone changed, you must be scared too,”

 

“True.” Sungjong nods his head. “But why are you only afraid of me but you’re fine with Sungyeol hyung and Myungsoo hyung?”

 

“Because they didn’t change so much? Sungyeol and Myungsoo looks the same, Sungyeol still taller than me and Myungsoo still handsome. But you, you’re…different.” Woohyun shrugged, then he smiles. “I’m really sorry, Sungjongie. I will…I will try to get used to you.”

 

Sungjong smiles happily. “Hyung…it’s okay, hyung. I understand. I’m more than happy that you finally look at me and talk to me,”

 

“Then, tell me about you. What did I miss?” Woohyun jumps in his seat excitedly, trying to throw away the terrified feeling over the difference in his cute little Lee Sungjong.

 

Sungjong tell Woohyun everything that locked away in Woohyun’s memories. About his high school and about his pursue in studies because he watch Woohyun’s back. Woohyun works in an IT company; building and developing websites and software’s. Sometimes Woohyun build online games when he didn’t have any project to do. Recently, Sungjong told him, Woohyun score himself a big project to build a million dollar software. His boss gave the project to him following his previous successes. It was such a good news and worth a celebration.

 

“But I only told you?” Woohyun asks, disbelief.

 

Sungjong nods. “Yeah. You told me first and didn’t tell anyone yet. Even hyung didn’t know.” He aborts the fact that Woohyun actually want to share the news to Sunggyu but up till now he didn’t get the chance to.

 

“Oh, wow. Even Sungyeol didn’t know…” Woohyun wonders why he kept such big news from his best friend, someone who supposed to share everything with him.

 

I’m sorry hyung. It’s better if you didn’t remember Sunggyu hyung at all. You will only hurt yourself and I don’t want to see you cry again.

 

------------------------

 

How is it?

Is it bad?

Please leave some comment.