Chapter 12

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About a week later Hyewon had dragged Eunbi somewhere else, this time to a drive-in movie theatre. But not as guests. They sat in the projection booth in the back. Eunbi sat on a chair watching Hyewon sort out the different movies tapes until she found the move ‘Pride and Prejudice’ placing it into the projector. She never understood why Hyewon chooses to do all these things, or how she keeps up with them.

How she’s able to manage doing all these things on top of being a top student and handling family affairs, without even breaking a sweat. Either the girl was really good at managing her time or she learned how to be at two separate places at the same time. It was most likely the latter since the second was very unrealistic. 

But Eunbi found it as a pleasant experience, and as days passed by she began to look forward to what they would do, where they would go, who they would meet. It was like she was on her own exclusive tour of Seoul’s secret hidden gems. But mostly it was seeing Hyewon working, helping others. All this work hasn’t taken a toll on Hyewon’s appearance at all. She looked so naturally young you’d believe she had never lifted a pinky in her entire life. 

They were in the middle of the movie, sat beside one another in their rolling chairs. Sharing a cup of popcorn, Hyewon had gotten them. Watching the movie through the window from the projection booth. Eunbi shifted her eyes from the movie to the girl sitting next to her, leaned back into her chair, emersed in the movie even after expressing her feelings of the book being much better than the movie. 

“Eunbi I have a question” Hyewon asked breaking their silence, keeping her eyes on the screen 

“What is it?” 

Hyewon munched on a few popcorns, fiddling with some between her index finger and thumb before speaking. 

“If...” 

The sound of water was disrupted by the loud gregarious boom of thunder, as Elizabeth ran across the bridge 

“If you were to fall in love with me... if you let yourself fall for me ” 

The sound of raindrops hitting the floor resonated in the small projector room as it boomed from the speakers.

Elizabeth had been caught in the rain, with Darcy now in front of her. Rambling on, trying to find the right words for his confession. 

‘I’ve gone against my better judgement, my family’s expectations’ 

“Would it be because I’m your soulmate or because you genuinely love me?” 

Along with Darcy’s confession, so came Eunbi’s shock at what Hyewon had just asked. 

‘I love you. Most ardently’ 

She didn’t know how to process it. In all honesty, she had never asked herself that question. She figured once she met her soulmate these answers would come naturally, just like love - but it proved her wrong. It had only brought her more confusion. She believed love had always been attached to soulmates, that's what she had grown up knowing. When she thought it over it was like a complimentary freeby. Like a clothing tag on your shirt, love was naturally (gifted) attached with your soulmate.

She had found her answer.... it was because she was her soulmate. 

Should she be honest? Or should she just lie to prevent creating a greater distance between them? 

“I.. don’t know” was Eunbi’s reply, settling for a weak and vague answer 

There was a silence between them. 

The only noise coming from the movie. Elizabeth forcefully rejecting Darcy and his proposal, insulted that he’d even think she would marry someone like him. It was much needed noise, or else the silence would have made Eunbi lose her mind. 

Hyewon spoke again, not moving from her position with the cup of popcorn on her lap 

“You can tell me the truth, Eunbi. It’s okay” 

Eunbi moved her eyes away from Hyewon, deciding to watch the movie. Seeing the argument unveil. 

She fidgeted with the ring on her index finger in deep thought, battling if she should be as honest as she wanted to be.

She had so many questions for Hyewon, so many unknowns, so many things she kept to herself. If you were to sit Eunbi down and ask her questions about Hyewon she was unsure if she could answer all the questions accurately. The only things she knew about Hyewon were the basic information a seatmate would have collected, having been seated next to her for a while, exchanging no words with one another.

She knew with time, maybe.. maybe Hyewon would answer those questions. But if answering her question honestly would bring her closure or further away from Hyewon, she was unsure. So she treaded along her words with the upmost caution. 

“Because..” 

Eunbi took a sharp breath, the smell of dust and buttered popcorn filling her lungs. Darcy had taken one last desperate look at Elizabeth before walking away, just as she had regained the courage to speak truthfully. 

“Because your my soulmate” 

Another clap of thunder boomed from the speakers, the rain pouring down as it showed a further angle of Darcy leaving Elizabeth. 

Eunbi’s eyes didn’t leave Hyewon, watching the girl - waiting for a visible reaction to her response. 

There was none. 

Hyewon continued to lean back in her chair, picking up another piece of popcorn before eating it. Another silence came, but this time it was far more suffocating than the first. Making its presence much more known to Eunbi, effectively making her anxious. She had the same unreadable eyes - the dull black appearance staring at the screen in front of them. 

Eunbi moved her eyes away from Hyewon, choosing to watch the movie. Which seemed to have gathered Hyewon’s attention much better than her. She had expected Hyewon to say something, anything to break the deafening silence between them. But nothing came from the girl, even the constant munching of her popcorn stopped. 

It had felt like ages when she heard Hyewon exhale slowly. Placing the cup of popcorn on the ledge of the window. Eunbi would have missed what Hyewon said next if she had continued to focus on the movie. 

“I understand...” Hyewon said 

Eunbi didn’t fail to miss the dejected tone in her voice 

However, what she did miss was Hyewon’s attempt at trying to justify Eunbi’s answer. Her attempt to act as normal as possible without expressing her disappointment. It was a test for Eunbi. She had hoped for the best; she wanted her to pass - but she chose the wrong answer. 

Eunbi clutched onto the armrests of her chest, trying her best to prepare herself for Hyewon’s next words. 

“But I don’t blame you” 

She paused for a while. And Eunbi didn’t fail to catch what she said, her grip on the armrest loosening slightly. 

“We don’t get to choose, it was set by some god that we’re made for one person and one person only... at least I know who mine is, saves me from wondering who it is” Hyewon explained 

The young volunteer leaned back into her chair, propping her feet on the ledge of the window next to the cup of popcorn. Tilting her head to see Eunbi 

“Even if it’s a face, I’d prefer to be blurred forever” 

Eunbi tried to not show it, but Hyewon already saw the few seconds

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter