Chapter 9

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju was at a park with the Hyewon, Yujin and Yena. Pretending to be Hyewon’s girlfriend wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be. More or less nothing changed at all, just an extra title - that had a nice ring to it, she thought. That and they haven’t had the need to tell anyone about their new relationship since they spent most of their time alone. The only ones who know seem to be Chaewon and Hitomi; which seems they kept to Hyewon’s request keeping it a secret for now. 

Minju listened as the cousins bickered over snacks, laying out the food for their supposed picnic. She on the other hand was trying to fly a kite Hyewon had brought with them. Learning how to control the kite proved harder than she expected. It the slightest pull into an exaggerated dive, then she would overreact and pull wildly with her other hand. It never ended prettily. 

She would even dare think being in a fake relationship with your best friend is easier than flying some polyester sail and carbon rods. When Hyewon flies it she seems so serene and the kite a reflection of her mind in the sky; graceful thought patterns and even temperament, it came naturally to her. She let out a sigh, dropping with a thump onto the grass, the kite and its strings sprawled along the grass. 

She heard a soft giggle from behind her, sitting behind Minju resting her chin on her shoulder letting her presence be known. She didn’t have to turn to know who it was, feeling the familiar arms wrap around her waist pulling her closer to her - it was Hyewon. She settled into her warmth, laying her head on the girl’s shoulder. 

Hyewon laughed, using one arm to pull the kite closer to them “Just as bad as you were when I first showed you how to fly a kite” 

Minju let out a breathy laugh acknowledging her failed attempts “I keep forgetting, can you show me how again?” 

Hyewon nodded her head, getting up from her seat, dusting off any dirt on her pants and Minju’s. She picked up the kite, rolling up the excess string. One swift throw, the thin polyester sail caught the draft of wind. Comfortably settling in the wind, its sails fluttering and Hyewon responded with reeling out more string from the roll. And gently the kite flew higher and higher until it nested about a few meters off the ground. 

Minju smiled, she never gets tired of how effortless it is for Hyewon to fly a kite. Watching as she leads the kite in the sky, drawing patterns only she could see. Seeing the yellow kite shaped in a bird glides across the sky. 

She walks over next to Hyewon, whose eyes were glued onto the kite as she continued to guide it across the sky “I’ll never get how easy you make it look” 

Hyewon smiled, turning head to face the girl “Kites fly highest against the wind, not with it” she maneuvers the kite to face against the wind, and Minju could see it flailing and gradually fly lower and lower 

“Just like a kite when the wind is against us, we turn around and use it to fly” And just like her words she redirects the kite, and instantly the wind gets caught under the sails and soars high into the sky 

Hyewon had a unique way to turn the smallest things into lessons. And this was just like one of those moments. When the wind blows against us, some build walls and others build windmills. The lessons of kite-flying are simple, yet profound. Hyewon sure does have a talent for saying just the right things at the most random times. Minju laughs to herself, Hyewon could really become a poet in her spare time. 

Hyewon passes the kite into Minju’s hands, she gives Hyewon a questioning look “What if it falls?” 

“Oh but my darling, what if it flies?” Hyewon lets go, leaving all control to Minju and just like her words it flew. 

It soared high into the sky, its sails fluttering in the sail as it road the wind. Bobbing up and down, she feels another hand on hers. She glances down to see Hyewon’s hands guiding her hands, as they moved the kite in the sky, drawing circles with its yellow figure. 

“It’s not bad being my girlfriend huh?” Hyewon teases and Minju laughs along 

She shakes her head “Not bad at all” she couldn’t help but smile seeing the kite flying high in the sky and Hyewon’s hands on hers. It was an unknown feeling that tickled her stomach - she felt as light as the kite in the sky.

 

 

Now back at the picnic mat they had laid down, snacking on some chips. 

Yena spits out her food, “Wait, you two are dating?” she points frantically between Hyewon and Minju who both just nodded their head. 

On the way back to the mat Minju had asked if they should tell the other two, it didn’t seem like the girl gave it much thought as she only answered with a simple shrug and “sure” She was the one who broke the news to the two. And judging by their reactions, they were very much surprised. 

“When did this happen?!” Yujin exclaims, throwing her food down in shock 

Hyewon answers for Minju “A couple weeks ago” 

“And you just thought about telling us now!” They both asked, hurt that they weren’t told immediately after 

They both laughed at their reactions, Hyewon getting a snack through at her face. Minju continuing to snicker as the two bombarded her with questions; who asked who, where they went on their first date. 

“At least now I don’t have to be jealous of you always spending time with Minju,” Yena chortles 

“Why would you even be jealous? We live together?” 

“Sometimes I miss having my Kwangbae being around” Yena tackles Hyewon, clinging onto her like a koala “My Kwangbae grew up so much” she pouts, patting Hyewon’s head 

Yujin piles on top of the two and continues to tease Hyewon, begging her not to grow up too fast. Hyewon tries to push them off asking Minju for help, but they were too heavy and Minju was having too much watching her get buried under the two. They were very accepting of their relationship, after all it’s not everyday you see Hyewon smiling and laughing like an idiot - especially from someone other than Yena and Yujin.

 

 

Hyewon was in the library during her break, being student principal and the staff’s favorite students comes with its benefits. And it was the extra free periods she got which also means her free periods get to match up with her favorite second year (sorry Yujin you’re a close second) 

She was in the back, hidden behind a bookshelf, her back against a wall. Minju followed her into the library, laying her head on her lap reading a book of her own. It was a mandatory book needed for English lit. one she had read, it was nothing entertaining another Greek tragedy. She was reading a slightly more entertaining book, she had recently just finished the poetry section and moved into fictional writing. This was a typical love story, with the very common troupe of two people being in a fake relationship - ironic, really. 

She snickered when she read the line. 

She glared at me like she was about to punch me, but then she did something surprised me even more. 

She kissed me. 

“Be careful, you might hurt self. Your built like a twig” She said ruffling my hair and walking off 

Minju looked up at her out of curiosity; her face peeking under her book “What are you laughing at?” 

“The twig just got kissed, anything interesting happen in yours?” 

Minju shakes her head, closing her book, putting it down “The lead female died” 

She taps Hyewon’s arm, the girl immediately closing her book and giving the younger her full attention “What’s it like being kissed?” She asked quietly. 

“Have you never been kissed?” She asked with little thought. 

She shakes her head timidly.

She understood her awkwardness of this topic. She had been waiting for her soulmate for her first kiss. But life had oth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter