Chapter 6

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Message from Hyewon:

 

Where are you? 

 

Message from Eunbi: 

 

You’re not going to make me jump out of my window, are you? 

 

Message from Hyewon: 

 

You always said you wanted to go bungee jumping, tell me how it goes 

 

Eunbi rolled her eyes, she could feel Hyewon’s blank expression and flat tone that came along with that sentence 

 

Message from Eunbi: 

 

Your hilarious, I was being sarcastic if you didn’t catch on 

 

Message from Hyewon: 

 

I need to give you something 

 

Hyewon messaged, ignoring Eunbi’s previous message 

 

Message from Eunbi: 

 

I’m just home

 

Message from Hyewon: 

 

I’ll be there in 5 

 

After a few minutes, just like Hyewon promised, she rang the doorbell of Eunbi’s home. Carrying a bag in her hand, as well as some toilet paper? 

 

“Why did you bring toilet paper?” 

 

“This is my first time getting invited to your house, I shouldn’t come empty-handed. So can I come in?” 

 

“Oh right, yeah please come in” Eunbi opened the door wider letting Hyewon in, leading her into the living room where Hyewon placed down the items she brought.

 

Eunbi quickly organized the cluttered coffee table covered with schoolwork “Sorry I would have cleaned up, but you kind of came over suddenly” 

 

“Sorry for not giving an earlier notice, I just needed to give this to you,” Hyewon stood up giving Eunbi the bag 

 

She opened it to see a white dress shirt and black jeans in the bag “What’s this for?” she looked up at Hyewon with a puzzled look 

 

“Grandma invited you to our family reunion, it’s this Saturday. Are you free?” 

 

“Yeah, I don’t have any plans I can come” Hyewon smiled awkwardly, a silence falling over them, but it wasn’t a comfortable one Eunbi quickly making an excuse to start the conversation or at least run away from it “I’ll go try these clothes on yeah?” Hyewon nodded, a blank expression on her face 

 

Eunbi coming out of the room shyly after a few minutes of debating if she should try the clothes on, Hyewon may have been smart enough to remove the tags but the embroidery of the luxury brand on the clothes gave them away. She couldn’t accept this gift it is far too expensive, but then again she told Hyewon she would try them on. So she gave in to the idea, walking out of her room in the gifted clothes. 

 

“Well.. I think this.. this looks..” 

 

“Beautiful…” Hyewon grimaced, biting down on her tongue, but it was too late. The words already left , and she couldn’t take it back. Cursing herself for her tongue slipping, Eunbi only smiled at her as she walked closer 

 

“Thank you, I guess you know how to pick clothes” She mumbled, if Hyewon hadn’t been giving Eunbi her full attention she probably wouldn’t have heard it 

 

They stood toe to toe for a few moments, not uttering a singly word; eyes not leaving the others until Hyewon cleared “I think I should get going” gesturing with her hand towards the door 

 

“Oh, yeah” Eunbi said, hiding the disappointment in her tone 

 

“Yuri is coming along too. She’s a friend of yours, right?” 

 

“Yeah” Eunbi smiled, at least she would know one other person at the event 

 

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow, yeah?” Eunbi hummed as she followed Hyewon towards the door before she could close the door Hyewon stopped it with her hand “Please don’t mention we are soulmates tomorrow, let’s just keep it between us” 

 

‘Oh’ Eunbi’s eyes shifted to the side unable to meet Hyewons. She bit the inside of her smile tightly in an attempt to hide any disappointment. Did she not like having me as a soulmate? Or maybe she just hates soulmates that much? 

 

Eunbi looked up at Hyewon hoping to find an answer but she only stared blankly at her. The same black and unreadable eyes, it only made Eunbi’s heart sink deeper. Biting down harder on the inside of , she forced a smile - unsure if it was convincing. But the other only blinked back at her, unsure if she noticed anything or just choosing to ignore it. She didn’t know, she never knew with Hyewon.

 

Everything changes faster than the tides when it comes to Hyewon. One moment where the girl is cackling and Eunbi struggling to breathe can turn into dead silence within seconds. 

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow Eunbi” Hyewon said before leaving, not turning back leaving Eunbi to look at the receding figure; her heart heavy. 

 

 

It was the day of the reunion Eunbi and Yuri stood side by side in the outfits gifted to them by the cousins. Their clothes didn’t scream luxury except for the small embroidery of the brand, both wore something white at the top matched with black bottoms. 

 

The family pulled into the lot with two cars, unlike the clothes they were wearing, the cars the Kang’s drove screamed luxury. Easily riding cars that millions dreamed of driving. Hyewon came out of one and Yena came out of the other. Both holding something red in their arms. 

 

Hyewon made her way towards Eunbi, handing her the red cardigan in her arms, “What is this?” 

 

“It’s what guests wear to the reunion” Hyewon said nonchalantly, placing the cardigan around Eunbi helping her put it on, not paying attention to Eunbi’s sudden shy demeanor; unable to look Hyewon in the eyes the whole time. 

 

Eunbi looked at the cardigan she thought to herself 'this explains the regular white dress shirt, since the main focal point of the outfit was the cardigan she wore.’ A large golden crest embroidered on the left side with Kang written at the bottom 

 

“What’s this for?” She pointed at the crest 

 

Hyewon then also pointed at the same crest except hers was in red that contrasted with the navy blue blazer she wore 

 

“It’s a family crest, courtesy of grandpa kang” she said smoothing out any crinkles on Eunbi’s cardigan, the older girl’s sudden stiffening body going unnoticed by the younger. 

 

Eunbi saw that Yuri was wearing the same maroon colored cardigan as her, while Yena wore an identical blazer to Hyewon’s. “Shall we go?” Eunbi nodded as Hyewon guided her to the back seat of their car, before opening the door she turned to Eunbi reminding her the favor she asked yesterday. 

 

Eunbi looked at her with furrowed eyebrows, but seeing the unfazed blank gaze Hyewon gave her even if it was expressionless; Hyewon was very much serious about not telling everyone. She knew Yuri and Yena were soulmates, so why couldn’t she tell them she was hers? Was Hyewon really embarrassed to have her as her soulmate? 

 

“It’s not because of you” Hyewon said smiling awkwardly; like a kid being forced to smile for a picture taken by their mom. She sensed the girl overthinking and was only trying to reassure her even it looked awkward as hell. 

 

“It’s a story for another day” Hyewon said quietly her back turned towards Eunbi before opening the door, motioning for Eunbi to get in first

 

Everyone has some reminiscences which they would not dare tell to everyone, but only to their friends. She has others which she would not reveal even to her friends but only to herself, and in secret. But finally there are still others which everyone is even afraid to tell themselves, and everyone has a considerable number of such things tucked away preferred to be left forgotten. And this was the former, kept in a small box she stores it in the darkest depths - left for mutually assured destruction. 

 

 

The car drive was anything but silent. Her parents were talkative and so was her younger sister. Bombarding Eunbi with questions left in right. You could say it was more of an interrogation, even if their intentions were pure. It’s not everyday Grandma Kang asks for someone to be invited especially one Mr. and Mrs. Kang didn’t know who they were. 

 

“Did you guys suddenly get a job at the police department?” Hyewon said clearly irritated 

 

“You could expect our surprise when my mother called me to ask you to bring Eunbi, apparently she visited grandma with you” 

 

“And you never even mentioned an Eunbi to us” Her mother added, turning back to face the children 

 

“We know you aren’t as open with us as you were before, but you could have at least given us a heads up” 

 

Hyewon slouched into her chair, her gaze stuck on Eunbi. Cursing her for going along with her that day, Eunbi who was about to explain everything Hyewon stopped her “I’m sorry mom, dad. I’ll make sure to let you know next time” 

 

Their parents seemed to agree with Hyewon and continued with the small talk laying off on asking Eunbi anymore questions. But Hyewon would have preferred they have stayed on that topic as they seem to be stepping on all the land mines today. 

 

“Yujin, how’s your soulmate? Anything knew with her?” Her father asked, making the younger sigh as she looked out the window 

 

“Tennis” Yujin said shortly not wanting to entertain the idea anymore, she swears this girl doesn’t do anything else but tennis; even if she had something to tell there wasn’t much to tell. Her parents caught onto her so they targeted Hyewon instead

 

“How about you, Hyewon? Still no soulmate yet?” 

 

You could see Hyewon’s face stiffen for a second before her blank expression returned “No luck still” Hyewon said flatly, her gaze not leaving Eunbi. Shaking her head ever so slightly, telling Eunbi to keep quiet silently. 

 

“Hye, don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get yours. Even if you hate the whole idea, you will love it. Trust me,” Her mother reassured.

 

“How about you Eunbi did you get your soulmate?” 

 

Hyewon instinctively grabbed onto Eunbi’s hand, gulping as she looked at Eunbi although her face was blank on the inside she was nervous praying that Eunbi would not tell her parents. 

 

Eunbi only smiled at the latter, her eyes falling onto their hands before looking up to Mr. and Mrs. Kang “I do, but I still haven’t met them” She laughed to lighten the mood 

 

Hyewon released the breath she didn’t know she was holding in. Successfully having missed a landmine, she knew she had just stepped into another one with Eunbi. She wondered when this field of landmines would end, her hand still on Eunbi’s; who didn’t intend on retracting her own hand or telling Hyewon. Secretly smiling to herself, stealing quick glances at Hyewon and their hands.   

 

 

Pulling to the family's estate, it was much different to their grandma’s house. This was far more grand. It puts the enormous mansion to shame. Mr.Kang parking the car in the driveway with the rest of the cars similarly priced as theirs, they exited the car Mr. and Mrs.Kang walking towards the large estate arms linked 

 

They too headed towards the estate, greeted by Hyewon’s grandma. 

 

Pulling in the two sisters into a tight hug smothering them with kisses before pulling apart and giving Eunbi a hug which she gladly reciprocated “It’s good to see you again child, you look beautiful as ever” the grandma smiled before turning towards Yuri “It’s very nice to meet you Yuri and please just call me grandma” Yuri responded with an ethusiatic nod and smile 

 

Entering the house they were met with a grand living room, shelves filled with books on one side and a panel of windows paired with golden curtains on the other, the rest of the family spreading to meet up with other family members they haven’t met in a while. 

 

Hyewon who stood still next to Eunbi who was clearly in awe of the exquisite interior of the house, admired the look the latter had as she was busy scanning every detail of the house. A slight smile falling on her lips before shaking it off as a cousin approached them. 

 

“Kwangbae!” They called out tackling Hyewon with a hug causing them to stumble backwards to get back their balance 

 

“It’s very nice to see you too Yeonjunie” Hyewon patted his back as they pulled apart, both reciprocating an eye smile “Yah! You should stop growing taller” 

 

Yeonjun straightened his back as he posed “It’s not my fault your so short, I see Yujin took all your height,” He laughed out loud, Hyewon hitting him hard on the arm. He rubbed his arm pouting at Hyewon before turning his attention to the girl who was laughing at their interaction.

 

Looking at his outfit Eunbi could tell that he was Hyewon’s cousin clearly clarified by the navy blue blazer with the same crest only in a different colour, it was white and had ‘Choi’ embroidered at the bottom. He was tall, with dark brown hair showing his eye smile as he politely bowed towards Eunbi a grin on his face “And who is this beauty you brought Kwangbae?”  

 

Before Yeonjun could get an answer he was pulled back down by another guy who smacked the top of Yeonjun’s head, pushing him down into a deeper bow. “Apologize” He said firmly as he too bowed apologizing for his cousins behaviour followed by Yeonjun’s apology 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter