Chapter 18

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon groans, putting her plate in the sink from breakfast. Glancing over at Hyewon, passing some apple juice to Minju. Her nose scrunching up at the sight. Nako puts her back in line after elbowing her in the rib cage, making her turn towards the shorter girl. 

“You said we weren’t going to interfere,” She scolds, putting her plate in the sink “That plan would work if you weren’t so obvious” 

“I’m not obvious!” Chaewon yells, Nako shushing her.

Telling her to keep it down, it was helping her by any less obvious than she already was. She may have been the one to tell the rest to keep it quiet, but every time Hyewon was around Minju her face grew as dark as gathering storm clouds. The constant rolling of her eyes when Hyewon does the simplest things for Eunbi; passing her a bottle of water, picking up something she dropped, help her on their hikes with the group. 

Chaewon was judging her every move and no matter what Hyewon did, she was always in the wrong. 

“Just last till the end of the week” Nako rolls her eyes, seeing the rage building behind Chaewon’s stony expression. It was pointless. 

“You don’t have to see her once we get back” Nako finishes drying her plate and placing it on the drying rack. 

Chaewon took a sharp breath when Nako left. She didn’t mean to be obvious, she couldn’t help it. Just the sight of Hyewon was enough to light her already short fuse. And everything she did only fueled the fire. She glances one last time at Hyewon and Minju. They’d be leaving the day after tomorrow. She only had to last until then... she could do that. 

 

 

Yujin was at the lakefront with Wonyoung, right by the cabin. Sitting on the edge of the dock, letting their feet dangle over the edge just above the water. Yujin pressed the cold drink into the younger’s face, making the girl jump in her seat from the cold. She laughed at the whining Wonyoung. Taking a seat next to her on the dock, taking a sip from her own drink as Wonyoung did the same. 

“You okay?” She asks tapping the girl’s shoulder who zoned out again 

“Oh... yeah” Wonyoung answered quietly, her eyes falling to the water below them 

“Something on your mind?” She adjusts her weight to lean on her hands 

Wonyoung opened , debating if she should ask. But she kept shut and shook her head slightly. 

Yujin nudged her shoulder playfully “It’s okay, you can tell me” she says, her eyes forming into crescents and the indents of her dimples showing on her cheeks as she smiled warmly. 

“Do you think Hyewon likes me?” Wonyoung asked timidly, swinging her legs back and forth over the water 

Wonyoung got along well with Yena, as she was always a playful person. But Hyewon was a different story. She always had to try a bit harder just to hold a conversation with the girl. Hyewon was also always around Yujin and Yena or Minju. She can swear that she’s never seen Hyewon without either one of those three by her side, unless it was one of the rare occasions she was with Eunbi. 

It didn’t help that she always had this bland expression and being Yujin’s older sister made her that more intimidating. Hyewon was never one to interact with her, only sparing a few smiles and waves when necessary. It was clear that Hyewon kept to herself and if she wanted to have a conversation with the girl, she had to be the one to start it.

Yujin responded with a laugh, she had thought it she had done something wrong “That’s what your worried about?” She throws her head back, clenching onto her stomach as she laughed 

Wonyoung hits her arm, whining, “I’m being serious!” 

Yujin gasps for air from laughing too much “She doesn’t like you” She says nonchalantly, taking a sip from her drink 

Only causing more panic into the younger as she straightens her back, face wide in shock, “What!” she yells 

Beginning to brainstorm several ways to win Hyewon over. They could go shopping! But she shakes her head, Hyewon didn’t seem like someone who enjoyed shopping - she’d be the one who’d go just to accompany a friend and tolerate the outing. Maybe we could go to the cafe! Wonyoung mentally gives herself a high five. 

Yujin had always mentioned how much Hyewon enjoyed eating! She applauds herself for coming up with a plan, now coming up with different cafe’s they could go to together. 

The latter only eyes the energetic Wonyoung from the side, trying to hold in her laughter. She was trying to joke around and to the ‘She doesn’t like you, she loves you’ gag but it seemed Wonyoung had already bursted out. Thinking of several ways to win over her sister. She looked far too adorable and invested to tell her to stop. But her laughter betrayed her as she let out a small chuckle. Trying to hide it by playing it off as a simple cough. 

“Why are you laughing, I’m being serious here!” Wonyoung continues to whine 

Yujin waves her hands dismissively trying to stop laughing “I meant to say she doesn’t like you, she loves you” 

Wonyoung gasps, feeling betrayed, all the effort she put brainstorming. Scrunching up her nose as she glared at Yujin 

“She was the first person I told” Yujin chuckles, she swears by the end of this she’ll have abs 

“She just seems really unapproachable sometimes, especially when she looks like this” Wonyoung says attempting to replicate Hyewon’s stony expression but a much cuter version. 

Yujin exhales slowly pinching Wonyoung’s chubby cheeks “That’s just Hyewon, she rarely smiles” She smiles recalling Hyewon’s smile that stretches to her eyes, forming crescents 

“But when she does, you can’t help but smile too,” her tone going softer 

“Do you think she’s doing it purpose?” Wonyoung asks innocently, placing her head on Yujin’s shoulder 

“No, I just think she got tired of offering her smile to everyone“ 

 

 

The group was at the lake before sunset, catching up with Yujin and Wonyoung. Planning to set off some fireworks once it got dark. Maybe even some sparkles and throw some party snappers that Yena had brought. Sakura, Chaewon and Eunbi had gotten out a pack of sparklers, waving them around and taking some pictures. 

Yena and Yujin busted out the party snappers and began throwing them at each other’s feet. Chasing after one another, getting Chaeyeon to join. Chaeyeon forming a team with Hitomi and Nako against the cousins who began throwing party snappers at their feet. 

“Yah! Ahndaengdaeng let go of me!” Hitomi screams, calling out to Nako and Chaeyeon for help 

They had held her hostage, getting carried away by Yujin. Chaeyeon and Nako trying to get Hitomi back from Yujin, throwing some snapper at her feet as they ran after her. Yujin’s face stretched into a wide grin as she kept Hitomi attached on her back, taunting Chaeyeon and Nako as they continued to run around the beach. 

Yena coming in from the side, trading her snapper for a water gun. Spraying the duo with water, their sweet and joyful laughter echoed around the beach. 

“This isn’t fair!” Nako complains, getting sprayed straight in the face with water 

Which seemed to do anything but help Yena, her smile fading and getting replaced by fear. As Nako began running full speed towards her. Her first instinct was to run away from the girl, turning around and heading into any direction away from Nako. She ran straight into the water, getting away from Nako. 

But the water was no help as it slowed her movements, letting Nako tackle her into the water. Wrestling for the water gun in her hand. Nako came out of the water victorious, laughing in Yena’s face who sat in the water pouting. Letting out several whines, making Nako spray her in the face with water. 

“Chaeyeon unnie I got it!” Nako shouts 

And the two ran towards Yujin to get Hitomi back. Hyewon chuckles seeing the group playing, but mostly at Yujin who was getting sprayed down with water. As the two already caught up to her, tackling her to the ground. Hitomi now free and joining Chaeyeon in tickling the girl, while Nako continued to spray the girl with water. 

Yujin wails and flails her long limbs, trying to get free of the three’s hold. 

Minju smiles, hearing Hyewon’s small chuckles; it sounded so effortlessly. But her smile falls when she sees Chaewon giving Hyewon cold hard stares behind her. Hyewon turns to Minju, frowning as she saw the girl’s smile falling. 

“She’s staring, isn’t she?” Minju nods, her eyes falling down to the ground 

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say she’s jealous” Hyewon exhales slowly singing Minju staring at her feet. 

“Why are you staring at your feet?” Hyewon places a finger under the girl’s chin making her face her, smiling when their eyes finally met “Your eyes are too pretty to be looking down” 

Minju tries to smile, but she had way too many worries to give her usual smile. There was no point in hiding it either, Hyewon could read her like the back of her hand. 

“What will you do if she tells Eunbi?” She says lowly, her voice coming off timidly 

“I won’t deny it” Hyewon says with an unexpected confidence, that shocks Minju 

“Why?” She asks tilting her head 

“Soulmate or not, your still my priority,” Hyewon explains, poking Minju’s nose 

Minju shows a smile. But it couldn’t hide her worries. ‘Your not making this easy for me Hyewon...’ she thought as she stared back at Hyewon. She exhales slowly before looking away at the group playing in the water. It was a bittersweet feeling, realising how much she was going to miss this moment while she still lived in it. 

 

\\\

 

Yuri pushes Chaewon from behind, making her stumble a few steps forward “Chaeyeon unnie told us to grab some fire wood” 

Chaewon groans, “Was pushing me necessary? I almost fell on my face” 

“Good, maybe it would remove your glare while your face deep in the sand” 

Chaewon rubs her face frustratedly “Was I that obvious?” 

“You looked like your eyes were gonna pop out of their sockets,” Yuri chuckles getting the crate and carrying 

Heading towards the wood to pick up some firewood. The crate now halfway full and Chaewon just returned with a few more logs of wood. 

“Chaewon” Yuri calls out, and the girl hums in response, placing the logs in the crate. 

“You found your soulmate didn’t you” She asks turning over a stone picking up the stick underneath it “It’s Minju isn’t it” 

Chaewon stills, her hand hovering for the last log she placed. Words left her. As she shifted her eyes from the crate towards the long-haired girl. She stared into the understanding eyes of Yuri. 

“How.. did you know?” Chaewon whispers 

Yuri smiles sweetly, grabbing Chaewon’s hand giving it a tight squeeze “Finding mine showed me things I never knew. I suddenly wanted her to be in every aspect of my life no matter how ridiculous some of her ideas are,” Yuri chuckles recalling some of their more spontaneous dates 

“I can only imagine how torn you are having to choose between Hitomi and Minju. But is the reason your made at Hyewon because she’s dating Minju because she’s Eunbi’s soulmate.... or because she’s dating your soulmate?” 

Chaewon laughs hysterically. Did Yuri just accuse her of getting jealous because Hyewon was dating Minju? She couldn’t even comprehend dating anyone else other than Hitomi, let alone Minju. It was a crazy idea. She would never leave Hitomi. She couldn’t. 

“Because she’s Eunbi’s soulmate, she needs her happy ending too,” She says confidently, masking the fear in her voice 

“Then what about Minju?” Yuri asks 

Chaewon could only scoff. She couldn't care less about the latter “She’ll find hers one day” 

Yuri was about to say more, trying to make Chaewon listen to her. But the girl had already picked up the crate before walking back to the group. She tried talking to her, but all she got were jokes and taunts as responses. But Yuri felt like something was wrong, how the girl was suddenly so defensive of the topic. She bit down on the inside of her cheek, worried for the girl. How much longer was she going to deny it? 

 

 

Chaewon returned with some wood to light for the campfire, joking around with Yuri, and then her smile fell. Yuri looked towards Chaewon who had stopped walking beside her, the girl’s eyes turning hard glaring eyes. Following her gaze, she saw Hyewon talking to Eunbi by the campfire as they set up the seats. Making the latter laugh at some joke Chaewon was sure was stupid. 

Yuri didn’t have enough time to process anything. Hearing crates of wood they were carrying getting slammed on to the floor by Chaewon. Who stomped towards the two. She tried to stop the latter by grabbing onto her wrist, explaing that confronting Hyewon now was not the answer. But Chaewon forcefully pushed her hand away. 

That was the breaking point of the Chaewon's patience, keeping Minju’s and Hyewon’s relationship a secret from Eunbi. Seeing Hyewon carelessly flirting with both girls. At that moment, she was blinded by a five-course serving of rage that tasted bitter, yet surprisingly satisfying. And it only fueled with every step she took towards the girl. 

It seemed the girl hadn’t noticed her until she stood next to her. Giving her a small nod, Chaewon reached out. Punching her right in the face. When her fist came in contact, she stumbled backwards wincing in pain. Eunbi in complete shock, going straight to Hyewon’s aid. 

“Chaewon what are you doing!” Eunbi yells, going straight to Hyewon to check her cheek for any bruising. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter