Chapter 7

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been weeks since the reunion, and Eunbi couldn’t stop thinking about what Doyeon told her. She has seen little of Hyewon lately; except for their weekly volunteering. The latter would pick up her calls even if they were always short. She thought she had finally made progress ever since she went to the reunion it seems it had been the complete opposite. She was just as distant as before, maybe even more. 

Eunbi didn’t know what came over her, but here she was in front of Sunjoo High School. Waiting for a specific dark-haired girl at the front of gate. Her eyes wondering the crowd until she saw the familiar blank dark brown orbs, but it was different this time.

Her dark brown eyes were so rich and beautiful, filled with so much emotion. She was with 3 other people, their arms linked as they walked together - but her eyes were only one. She watched as her smile was one of happiness growing, much as a spring flower opens. She could see how it came from deep inside to light her eyes and spread into every part of her. A person smiles more than their mouth, and she saw it stretched to every ounce of her body and the way she relaxed. It was beautiful.

Then their eyes met, and it felt like the world stopped. And Hyewon gives her a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through her. She didn’t regret coming here unexpectedly with no plan in mind as she smiles back at Hyewon waving her arm.

Yena and Yujin were quick to give her a hug, while Hyewon politely introduced Minju. They were just about to go on a movie marathon and had invited Eunbi to come along. All getting into the back of Hyewon’s car, with Minju in the passenger seat.

Eunbi enjoyed watching their interactions, but mostly how relaxed Hyewon was. How natural and comfortable she was with the other three, no clear restraint in the way she speaks and most importantly there was no sign of her blank flat tone in her voice.

“Eunbi do you dance with Chaeyeon?” Yena asked, sending a smirk to Hyewon who shot a death glare from the rearview mirror.

Eunbi answered with a yes

“How did you meet Hyewon?” Yena asks getting closer to the girl, Hyewon burrowed holes into Yena’s forehead through the rearview mirror only visible Yena. 

“At a cafe with Chaeyeon” Yena nodded her head cheekily, she had something planned

“Don’t make her uncomfortable” Hyewon said in English hoarsely

Only making Yena frown, “Hiding something Kwangbae?” 

“Yeah, your loudmouth personality” Hyewon played off successfully, eyes still on the road.

Minju and Yujin snickering at the comment and Yena hitting both of them, respectively. The two continued to converse in English, with Yujin and Minju joining in now and then. The conversation littered with pouts, laughs and glares. 

While Eunbi sat in the back confused not understanding a single thing they were saying. Taking note that Hyewon can speak Japanese and English, which made sense since Hyewon often went to the states. There was really nothing she couldn’t do. She continued to surprise her every time they met. 

“Sorry, Yena is a pushover” Hyewon says casually, Yena groaning in the back seat whining that she was not. 

Yena and Yujin had changed the subject to soulmates, Yena bragging about Yuri to the rest. And they could only roll their eyes at how whipped she was for her, and for blantly gushing over her with Eunbi present. Yujin contributed with her own stories, it seemed her soulmate was very much a tennis addict - oddly reminding her of a friend. 

Eunbi had shared some stories about her “soulmate” which Hyewon was very quick to pick up on. Taking quick glances from the rearview mirror, seeing the small smile that played on Eunbi’s lips as she told the story, and the small laughs whenever she remembered something. All going unnoticed by the rest except for Minju who nudge the girl mouthing ‘are you okay’ and Hyewon responding with a small nod. 

The car drive continued and so did the conversation. And not once did Hyewon or Minju jump in the conversation, and Eunbi kept an eye on the two their silence not going unnoticed. Or the subtle glances they shared, and touches on each other’s arm. 

She got a nudge from Yujin who whispered into her ear “I guess you noticed those two haven’t talked since the topic sprung up”

Yujin was clearly talking about soulmates and Eunbi nodded clearly intrigued by their sudden silence 

“It’s normal, I guess you could say both share a mutual hatred for soulmates,” she said shrugging her shoulders 

A mutual hatred for soulmates…. 

Those words echoed in her head, like a mantra 

A mutual hatred for soulmates

 

 

Hyewon laughed 

Hyewon smiled 

Hyewon clung onto Minju like food wrap and just as transparent. Their was no sign of her blank, cold gaze. Her gaze always drifted to Minju like she was pulled by gravity. Then she will giggle like she’s four and a half. Eunbi couldn’t say anything about it, how could she? When she was a meek outsider compared to Minju. She couldn’t be jealous, she didn’t have the right. After all those two were closer than anybody she had seen Hyewon with, not even Yujin or Yena. But yet here she was being jealous. 

Stealing glances at the two everytime she heard Hyewon’s laugh, everytime she heard Hyewon whine. She could see how close the two were with the small glances and touches they throw at eachother, how they seemingly communicate with a single gaze. How easily they can read the other person. 

The only thing Eunbi could think of was what Yujin said earlier A mutual hatred for soulmates but clearly their friendship ran deeper than a simple hatred. 

Eunbi felt a jab in her ribs from Yena “You look conspitated” Eunbi gasped clearly offended 

While Yena rolled over in her seat struggling to breathe from laughter, but Eunbi couldn’t help but look at Hyewon and Minju who were at the kitchen counter discussing something serious. Clearly conveyed by Minju’s sincerity on her face as she placed her hand on top of Hyewon’s. Who had worry written all over her face 

Another jab but this time from Yujin, Eunbi ready to hit her with a pillow. Yujin stops her “If you have a question just ask” she says seriously and Eunbi places the pillow down 

Yujin scoots closer to Eunbi and follows her gaze from earlier and fond smile formed “Those two can’t be separated no matter what you do” 

“They only know each other for 2 years but they seem like they knew each other their whole life” Yena chimed in taking the seat next to Eunbi 

“They’ll run to the other th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter