Chapter 11

Fallen Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi was waiting in front of her house, instructed by Hyewon to come out since they were pulling into the driveway. She just hadn’t expected that they would pull in with a limousine - indeed this was a high end event. But the beauty of seeing Hyewon in a white off shoulder dress made her catch her breath. The sight of the limousine couldn’t compare to Hyewon, and the soft yet awkward smile sent her heart tumbling. 

Hyewon taking hold of her hand, linking their arms together, she eyed Eunbi’s dress “You wore the dress” 

Eunbi averted her eyes to the floor, feeling the heat creeping onto her cheeks “You picked it after all” Hyewon smiled, satisfied with the answer although she didn’t let it show. 

It was a day much like the rest, Eunbi exhausted from dance dragging her feet to her room. To find a red box placed on top of her bed finished with a white bow and note at the top. Opening the note first, it was handwritten - Hyewon’s penmanship wasn’t neat, but it had a cuteness to it, the way some of her vowels were bigger; like a middle schooler. She kept it in the drawer with the others, she always kept her notes knowing the girl took the time to write it for her - even if they were short. 

Something for the party, red would look perfect on you - Hyewon 

When she opened the box, she could see how expensive it was, just by the t and intricate lacings on the dress. Knowing Hyewon this was probably branded, Hyewon never seemed to have a price limit. Holding the dress in front of her, looking into the mirror. She felt giddy, a bashful smile on her face as she looked at the dress. Despite her expressionless gaze and usual white shirt and jeans outfits, Hyewon knew how to pick out clothes that complimented her. 

Hyewon opened the door for Eunbi, letting her in first. In the car she saw the rest already inside, surprised to see Wonyoung inside with Yujin. Exchanging a few giggles and shy glances. 


 

 

Several minutes later and pictures inside the limousine, they arrived at the venue. The driver had instructed them to exit by order, with Hyewon last. To be expected as she was the eldest and the face of Kang’s and not to mention her squeaky clean image - the countless hours of volunteering came in handy in the end. The two had watched as the others exited one by one, the flashes from the camera leaking into the car every time the door opened. 

Eunbi suddenly felt nervous. This would have been her first public appearance. Hyewon took her hand in her hands giving it a gentle squeeze “An auditorium full of people watching you dance and your afraid of a few photographers?” 

Eunbi just looked at her blankly and Hyewon laughed breaking the tension “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine” opening the car door a flood of white flashes blind them for a few seconds. 

Holding out her hand for Eunbi, she could see the reluctancy as Eunbi moves her hand back and forth “Don’t let my 5 hours of shopping for the dress go to waste” she breathes out, not wanting to admit it but seeing the smile on Eunbi’s face made it worth it 

Grabbing onto her hand, linking their arms, the wave of flashes intensifies and they could hear a record-breaking amount of shutters. They smiled posing in front of the camera, Eunbi looked out waving at the cameras. Unlike Hyewon, who smiled way too genuinely for her liking. She looked down at the dress once again; it looked beautiful on her. But she knew it wasn’t the dress that made it beautiful. She applauds herself for picking the right dress, even if it took 5 hours and 3 different malls to find it; it looked perfect on her - she looked perfect in it. But she kept that to herself. 

 

 

Entering the venue, it was just as grand as the exterior. They had rented out a stately house for the night. Greeted by several families and friends at the door, checking in with the reception before entering the willow ballroom. The walls were marble white, with glittering gold accents. Three dozen glittering crystal chandeliers spiraled down from the ceilings. A painting of clouds and angels on the roof, the perfect shade of blue of a sunny summer day in August. 

Staff walking in white masks, all identical, covering their eyes. Holding trays full with assortments of drinks and snacks for the guests. Hyewon grabbing a drink from a passing tray handing one to Eunbi - it was sprite. She smiled mumbling a thanks seeing the familiar drink in her hands. 

Eunbi had noticed how Hyewon considerate she was during these parties. The way she always introduces her before herself, grabbing passing drinks and food for Eunbi whenever she wanted one, asking her if she way okay from time to time. It would surprise anyone to hear how distant Hyewon, actually. 

She didn’t know how Hyewon kept up with this. The countless amount of people she had been introduced in the span of 10 minutes, not remembering a single name. But to Hyewon it was second nature. She had every person’s name memorized and could ask questions about their personal lives. 

A short, pale girl approached them with a gummy smile, calling out to Hyewon. She placed a small waving at the girl.

She held out a hand for a handshake “I’m Dahyun, Hyewon’s second favorite Kim” The two laughed at the joke which Eunbi had missed most likely an inside joke between the two  

She accepts the handshake “I’m Eunbi, hopefully Hyewon’s favourite Kwon” she says jokingly 

“With your looks, I’m sure you’re her favourite person,” they both laugh at the compliment 

“I wouldn’t go that far, but I’ll keep my hopes up” They both looked at Hyewon who just shrugged her shoulders not commenting on the statement 

“Who’s the favorite Kim?” Eunbi asks out of curiosity, she wanted to know who held such a title 

“Minju” Hyewon answers with no hesitation 

“She’s practically untouchable, Hyewon always placed her on such a high podium right next to hers,” they both clink their drinks together, Eunbi nods her head hiding her frown 

There was always a fondness in Hyewon’s tone, the softness in her eyes, the way the ends of her lips tug upwards into a smile whenever she mentioned Minju. From a glance you could tell Hyewon held a soft place for Minju. Eunbi shouldn’t feel jealous, they were just friends after all - even if she shouldn’t feel this way it didn’t stop her from being so. Maybe one day she would be able to take a spot in Hyewon’s heart, but she wasn’t even in reach. Every step forward she took, Hyewon took a step back. A never-ending cycle. 

She hopes one day Hyewon will be able to exchange the same smile as hers, with the same amount of care and fondness 

 

 

Minju had arrived at the party with her family. Greeted by the Kang’s and grandma at the front. She walks into the ballroom where most of the guests stayed. Filled with suits and gowns, everyone dressed to impress. She wasn’t one to attend such parties, but undoubtedly this was more of a requirement.

She was in a room full of people, but her eyes only went to one. She knew who she was talking to, who she was with. Only one caug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter