Revolving Antics

Dreamscapes

Some five or six minutes later Sehun approached the dining table. Boredom bordering curiosity flanked his face.

“What is it?” Sehun asked.

“If you haven’t eaten, eat with me.” Namjoo said.

A partial frown crossed his face. Sehun observed the food funnily then her. “Why?”

“I said eat with me,” Namjoo repeated impatiently. “Isn’t that what you said the other day? You’re welcome to help yourself to lunch and dinner.”

“Specifically, the other day,” Sehun specified and added, “only. So, can I go?”

Ignoring him, Namjoo called out, “Bring another plate.”

The driver watched cluelessly as a housekeeper brought another plate, set it down, and left. He eyed the new setup then her, “You know I just ate.”

“Sit down anyway.” Namjoo prompted. With a deep sigh he sat. “And don’t sigh. If you’re uninterested don’t make it obvious.”

Sehun stared at her flatly. “I can’t believe you’re serious about that.”

“I’m serious about everything,” Namjoo smiled. Flicking her gaze to his plate, she asked, “You’re not eating?”

“If I didn’t make it clear that I already ate…”

“I told you to come eat.” Namjoo cut him off.

Sighing more noticeably, he picked up his spoon mumbling beneath his breath, “You’re impossible.” then louder, “Which one tastes best?”

“I don’t know,” Namjoo said. “I haven’t tried anything yet.” when she received an exasperated look from him, she shrugged, “What?”

“Never mind,” Sehun waved her off. He helped himself to the stir-fried beef on the table.

Even though he had argued that he already ate, his appetite didn’t wane. Namjoo surprisingly watched him take dibs on the plate of meat and steamed veggies. Unlike Jineol who rushed through his meals with excuses here and there, Sehun patiently savored each of the foods.

His vibe enticed her to observe the delicacies more closely. Noticing the prettily plated food to the details that had been carefully thought through. Seeing the vibrant colors of vegetables chosen to accompany the meat. Foods that complemented each other on the same dish or bowl topped with the barest sesame seeds or garnished for the best flavor.

Namjoo’s stomach grumbled. Sehun ate with some kind of indescribable interest that piqued her appetite, making her want to taste the same foods. Strangely, she was much hungrier.

He sat with her until she decided she couldn’t eat anymore. Her stomach was satisfyingly full.

That night Namjoo stared out the window in the direction of the backhouse. A lone light shone through the front windows. Sehun was still up. Must be watching television she assumed. That was probably the only entertainment he had. His life was pretty dull here.

That was a comfort for her. It shouldn’t be, but it was.

She watched until the lights dimmed and then it went dark. But unlike her, Sehun would be sleeping well while she lay in bed wide awake waiting to see what time her husband returned.

⅏⅏⅏⅏⅏

It felt like Sehun had just fallen asleep before the furious knocking on the door burst through his dreams. Groaning he ran a hand down his face, refusing to get up. The knocking continued relentlessly.

Sehun gave it another half minute then rose irritated. Sleep a heavy blanket forcing his eyes close as he stumbled toward the door. Latching onto the knob he opened the door.

Namjoo stared back at him. Shockingly he didn’t receive a glare from taking so long to answer her.

“Wash up,” she simply said. “I’ll be waiting by the car.” then she whirled around and walked away leaving him suddenly wide awake in her trail.

Shutting the door, he scratched his head. Mumbling he yawned, turned, and dropped face down into bed. His eyes shut momentarily. Sleep blocking everything from mind until his eyes popped open.

It finally hit him that it was daylight and Namjoo had come to wake him instead of calling, which meant he was on call. She’d most likely scream his ear off if he wasn’t fast.

Hurling himself into the bathroom he splashed cold water against his face while simultaneously brushing his teeth furiously. Sehun hesitated on his way out. Debating what clothes he needed to wear. To hell with it. He pulled on one of the expensive suits Namjoo had bought him deeming it safer than a crummy shirt and jeans. Grabbing his keys, he literally rushed out of the back house to find her where she promised she’d be: waiting by the car.

Panting when he arrived, he apologized, “Sorry.” Namjoo just stared at him. He subconsciously touched his hair. It was somewhat damp from when he’d washed his face. Confused, he asked, “What?”

“Button your shirt, will you?” Namjoo said then turned and pulled the rear door open. As she slipped inside his hand landed on the button-up. Hissing when he realized he’d left the top three buttons unfastened.

That’s what happened when he was in such a hurry and not thinking straight. Three undone buttons meant he was either an or a player.

Deciding a late apology was meaningless, Sehun started the engine and asked, “Where are you going?”

“I have a doctor appointment,” Namjoo replied. This immediately made him look into the rearview mirror to see her staring out the window. When he didn’t answer she turned to look at him. “Do you remember the way?”

Sehun quickly reverted his attention to the windshield. “Sure.”

Reversing out of the garage he headed down the street. Exactly how many pills was she taking a day? Sehun debated saying something, but whenever his mouth opened nothing but air released. She wouldn’t listen. Not to him at least.

Parking at the curb of the hospital, Sehun watched Namjoo disappear inside. No doubt getting another bottle. If Namjoo declined any more rapidly into her addiction she might not live to see the end of the year. It was too easy for her to overdose. Would Jineol feel any sense of loss if she died? Sehun highly doubted it.

It didn’t even take an hour for Namjoo to return. When she slipped back into the car she said, “Take me to the mart.”

This time Namjoo slipped on her shades when he hurried to open the door for her. Hooking her bag over her shoulder, she said, “You can wait in the car if you like.”

“No.” he said. “I’ll go.”

“Suit yourself.” Namjoo didn’t wait for him as she crossed the parking lot to the sliding doors.

She helped herself to a cart and went about her business like she was running an errand alone. Sehun trailed behind her curiously searching the store. He didn’t know what she was here for. Namjoo didn’t cook, so she couldn’t be shopping for food or snacks.

Very abruptly she turned the cart into the aisle of wine racks. More alcoholic drinks were neatly stocked along the back wall. He should have known. Stopping along a set of wooden crates, Namjoo picked up a dark bottle.

Observing the label, Namjoo said, “There is an entertainment section over there. Why don’t you go look around? I don’t need you to follow me.”

“I’ll pass.” Sehun said. A bottle and then two more landed in the cart. He grabbed the handle just as she reached for it to push it along. “I…I’ll do it.” he cut in.

Namjoo was probably giving him the stink eye behind her dark shades. Removing her hands, she muttered, “Help yourself.”

Extending his hand, he said, “Go ahead.”

Shifting away Namjoo moved forward. Thoroughly searching the aisle for more drinks. Sehun darted his eyes in her direction making sure she was occupied and reached into the cart to quietly tuck a bottle back into the crate. Among the five of them he hoped she wouldn’t realize one was missing.

When he reached the back wall Namjoo was turning a clear glass of liquor around in her hands. Closely studying the contents of ingredients. She scarily seemed to know what she was looking for.

“I’m hungry.” Sehun said. A tiny lift of her head signaled he’d ruined her concentration. He repeated, “You didn’t let me eat before we came.”

Placing the bottle into the cart she took a step along the wall. Sehun quickly cut off her path with the cart, saying more adamantly, “I’m really hungry.”

A nerve of irritation twitched in her face. “There’s a coffee bar at the entrance.”

“I want my nutrition.” He insisted. “I saw a restaurant on the way here. Can we go eat?” He waited a beat then added more exaggeratedly, “I’m so lightheaded already and you woke me up so early.” Sehun reminded to guilt her, “I couldn’t even manage to button my shirt correctly.”

Namjoo huffed tired of his rant. Her brows burrowed together the longer she stared at him. Glaring now, maybe. Pivoting on impatient feet Namjoo finally walked away from the alcoholic beverages toward the checkout lanes. Sehun breathed relief, but quietly held his breath when Namjoo started transferring the wine onto the checkout table. She wouldn’t notice a bottle was missing?

When the clerk read the total, Sehun bit his tongue. God was on his side today. Namjoo said nothing on the way out of the mart. He smiled widely when he opened the back door for her. Namjoo didn’t even bother with a word as she slid inside.

“I’ll buy,” he offered when they entered the noodle house a block down.

Namjoo had taken off her shades; her minor act of courtesy to the business. He received a dirty look from her. “Do you even have money?”

He was tempted to make a mean throwback, but instead held himself back. Besides, he’d gotten away with preventing her from buying more drinks than necessary. “In fact, I do. You’d be shocked at how much I’ve saved so far.”

She rolled her eyes with a shake of the head and crossed her arms annoyed. A young waitress approached them with a cheery grin. Namjoo left him to talk to her and was first to walk away without waiting for the waitress to lead, and chose a round table of her liking. He shared an awkward laugh with the waitress before she disappeared most likely offended by Namjoo.

“You could have let her do her job,” Sehun quietly murmured picking up the laminated menu bordered in black.

Ignoring him, Namjoo busily scrolled her eyes down the pages. Putting the menu down with a slap of her hand, she said, “I want number twenty-five.”

Sehun’s eyes landed smack on the special Japanese noodle house dish. A brow twitched. It was the most expensive on the menu. After deciding on his choice, he put down the menu to meet with her smug grin. Of course, he couldn’t say anything. He’d led himself to his own demise after all.

As if to further , Namjoo thanked the waitress when she brought their glasses of water. He eyed her dankly.

“I hope you finish all that.” He smartly commented when she received her large bowl of noodles.

“You’ll be paying anyway.” Namjoo stated with a shrug of her shoulder.

She left a quarter of her noodles unfinished when he received their bill. Sehun handed over his card regardless and begrudgingly drove them back home. As he watched Namjoo stalk home with the bags drooping from her hands he thought at least he had a good breakfast.

Returning to the back house Sehun stripped out of the suit into a shirt and jeans. Time to get to work.

The afternoon sun burned his arms the moment he stepped outside again. He would plan on a cold shower later, but for now he was looking around the large 2-acre lawn. There had been no rain recently. The grass looked dried up and the flowers in need of watering. The soil was drying up. He couldn’t have the roots rotting or the flowers wilting.

The house and its people were already enough of a sad, piteous sight. The only happy existence here were the vibrant flowers.

Sehun went around the house to unwind the hose from its reel. He was sweating by the time he completed the task. Wiping sweat off his forehead he switched the nozzle to ‘shower’ and started spraying the grass. A soft passing breeze faintly blew dew his direction. The water helped cool him down.

Rounding the house Sehun slowly worked his way around the flower garden and halted surprised. At the farthest end of the flower garden Namjoo darkly glared at him, her arms crossed. He released the handle quickly guessing why she looked unhappy.

“What?” he innocently asked.

“Where is it?” she questioned.

“Where is what?” he played dumb.

Narrowing her eyes, Namjoo blandly pointed out, “My fifth bottle of wine.”

“I don’t know.” He continued his streak. “What are you talking about anyway? I wasn’t the one doing the shopping.”

“You pushed the cart!” she shot. He caught her eyes rounding. “You put it back.”

Sehun quickly shot at the grass nearby her foot when she stepped forward. A quarter of spray doused the hem of her ankle-length dress. Namjoo gasped. Sehun blinked. He had attacked too fast before even processing the act.

Awkwardly grinning, he said more question-wise, “Sorry?”

“You!” Namjoo yelled.

His eyes widened when she charged at him. Running away he sprayed randomly hitting her in the face. Sputtering, Namjoo stopped to spit out water and wipe her face with her arm. She had stopped coming at him and even with a good six feet between them he shot at her anyway.

Namjoo yelped then raised her arms as if she could block another spray. Amused, Sehun continued laughing. He was suddenly having more fun than expected.

Lowering her arms Namjoo’s face contorted with determination. Sehun gulped and hurriedly moved backwards when she ran at him. Gripping the hose, he continued to spray her. Loudly laughing and jumping whenever she neared.

They went around a circle once. Realizing she didn’t have to come after him she yanked at the cord.

“Huh?” he blanked nearly losing grasp of the nozzle.

Lunging at him Namjoo wrapped her fingers around his hand. He swallowed water when she pulled the handle spraying water directly into his face. She did it again. Sehun twisted his head to the side and clenched his eyes.

“Hey!” was all he managed because Namjoo didn’t wait a beat before spraying him again. Miraculously she burst out laughing. Shooting him she giggled again.

Mid spray he choked and spat water whilst they tugged the hose back and forth spraying him, spraying her. Namjoo shrieked but he felt she was letting loose rather than at the beginning of a lash out.

Honestly, he could just tug the hose out of her hand. He was much stronger. But he didn’t.

The heat of the sun raged overhead, but Sehun wasn’t sweating anymore. Laughter rumbled through his body. That day’s morning already forgotten. The present moment, the ring of their laughter and shouts mixing and dancing together felt feverish to him.

Suddenly Namjoo’s foot tangled with the cord and she tripped, a hand smacking him and also pushing him away. The hose tilted vertically. The last spray shot into the air and came down like rain shower creating a thin rainbow effect.

A smile split his lips as he panted. A good amount of space separated them now yet she felt closer. The smile slowly eased when his eyes flittered down. Namjoo’s dress was entirely plastered to her skin. She was soaked through and through.

As if touching his eyes roved back up slowly. Staring at the curve of her waist. Observing the heave of her s as she caught her breath. Swallowing when he noticed her drenched hair sticking to her neck and face messily.

Coming to he turned away. Staring into the distance he muttered, “You should go change.”

He didn’t turn to witness her comprehend her current state. She’d be embarrassed. He did, though, listen to her shuffle past. When he assumed she was far past him he let out a breath. Rubbing his nape wondering what the hell had gotten into him.

Returning to work he walked around the yard trying to dismiss the laughter he could still hear in his head. He took his time putting the hose away and put himself to thinking about other matters like what he was going to have for lunch. Heading to the backhouse he immediately went to take a shower.

Plopping down onto the edge of his bed after changing into new clothes he rubbed a towel over his damp hair. It was too quiet. Sehun couldn’t help but think things since he had nothing to distract him. Replaying earlier he wondered how close Namjoo had actually been and if his memory wasn’t just making up stuff.

A knock on the door made him shut off the thought at the speed of light and left his heart hammering. His first thought was Namjoo. She’d woken him up that morning, hadn’t she? Could it be her? No, it couldn’t be.

Leaving the towel on the bed he went to open the door. He would be nonchalant. He should be anyway, and it shouldn’t matter who was on the other side.

Miss Han’s cool set of eyes landed on him. “Please come have lunch.”

She nodded then turned to walk off after completing her task. Stepping outside Sehun pulled the door close and followed her. It was the only natural thing to do. As they reached the house Sehun suddenly worried how he should compose himself. He hoped this wouldn’t be weird then he pondered too late if he should have dressed better.

Another nod from Miss Han and she exited the scene. Sehun saw her disappear down a hallway then turned to see Namjoo sitting at the dining table directly across from his view. For some reason he hesitated.

The tension in the air weaved around him weakly as if teasing. He also noticed Namjoo wasn’t really looking at him, which may have perhaps added to the effect of the weird atmosphere. It didn’t feel right, but he didn’t want to spin on his heels and walk out when he already came all this way. Earlier he could have just told Miss Han he was declining lunch. Instead, like an idiot, he’d immediately followed her inside.

Depositing himself right into this spot.

Stepping through the invisible barrier he pulled the chair out and sat down. Done with that he sighed relief. This needn’t be so awkward. But it was.

Sehun just couldn’t meet her in the eyes. Leveling his gaze up he noticed she had changed. The pattern on her dress was different.

He almost hiccupped when Namjoo spoke. His head snapped up too fast and he wished he could calm the down. Having a casual lunch wasn’t even that big of a deal.

“I was told the braised beef is pretty good.” Namjoo pushed the oval plate forward.

Sehun eyed the entrée. Grappled by a sense of curiosity and also lightening up because Namjoo was doing something she hadn’t before. Without the drugs, without so much drinking she was perhaps a decent person.

Smiling, Sehun said, “Ok.” Putting some on his plate he tasted it and nodded. “It’s good.” Pushing the plate toward her he said, “Have some, too.”

He watched her scoop a share onto her plate and then into . Namjoo chewed slowly and then nodded. Her eyes glimmered as her cheeks pinched up. “It’s really delicious.”

His smile broadened feeling her genuity for the first time and he finally relaxed.