Do Over

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After his lunch with Heechul, Donghae walked back in his office already feeling exhausted for the day. Yesung had acted extremely strange towards him at the cafe and kept giving him a look like he wanted to tell him something but when he asked the other about it, Yesung just turned hid head away and left. It was weird and unexpected to say the least since the other had always seemed eager to strike up a conversation with him but lately, it feels like he's been avoiding him. He just shrugged it off and decided to not think too much of it.

Donghae walked to his chair and slumped down on it followed by a long drawn out exhale and a tired sigh while massaging the side of his forehead. He looked at the documents on his desk and wished he could just throw it all away and go home. 

Trying his best to shake off the exhaustion away, Donghae sat upstraight on his chair and sorted his desk to see what he should first work on. There were three unopened envelopes in front of him with one marked urgent in bold red letters. He took that envelope and opened his drawer in search for his letter opener when his eyes fell upon the mysterious box that he found at home. His mind replayed the conversation he had with Heechul earlier and the image of Eunhyuk popped up in his head.

"He wasn't there today either." Donghae mumbled to himself and dropped the envelope he was holding down in exchange for the box.

He opened it and took another look at the worn out dark watch with strange scribblings in it. Reset and Rewind it read, but Donghae has no idea why Eunhyuk would give him the watch. It looked used and worn out which is why he doubted that it was given to him by the other as a present. He tried to ignore the weird feeling he had on the watch and soon noticed that the time in it was wrong. 

There was no second hand ticking on it so he wasn't even sure if the watch was working properly. He shook it a couple times to see if anything inside it was broken, then brought the watch by his ear to listen for any sounds indicating it was still working. Instead of a soft tick, it sounded like sand was pouring inside it which made Donghae frown with curiosity. 

"That's a strange sound." He commented out loud but then shrugged his shoulders as he looked at his phone for the time. 14:30. 

Donghae wasn't sure which of the three small knobs of the watch was the one for the hour so he pulled the one in the middle first, thinking the other two attached to the words "Reset" and "Rewind" were just there for decoration. Just as he was doing so, his assistant knocked and entered the door.

"Dongh-"

He looked  up after pulling the knob and was befuddled to see her standing completely still midwalk. His brows furrowed together in confusion as to what was going on. He placed the watch down on the table to go check on her. Donghae approached her slowly but a few steps in and he immediately noticed that something was definitely wrong. She wasn't just standing still, her entire body was frozen. Donghae's eyes widened with worry and immediately approached her, not quite sure what to do. 

"Soo-Sooyeon? Are you okay?"

She didn't answer and remained still. Donghae tried to move her to see if she would snap out of it, but when Donghae's hands touched her he was unable to move her at all. It was like she had turned into a statue. He got a little closer to her and waved his hand in front of her face trying to see if she'd blink or feel if she was breathing, and that's when he saw it. His eyes was able to glimpse outside his office and saw that it wasn't just Sooyeon who was frozen. The other staff members on the floor were not moving as well. He walked out to see what was going on in the hallway and couldn't believe his eyes. 

Dongjun was coming out of the copy room with a stack of papers at hand but his stance looked like he had just tripped over an extension chord. He was currently standing on one foot with his stack of papers hanging mid air. Towards the end of the hall, the security guard was frozen mid-step with his keys hanging in the air over his hand. The other people in the office just looked like mannequins with their smiles and hands completely still. Donghae backed away inside his office in fright as he couldn't quite wrap his head around on what was going on. 

"You look like you've seen a ghost." 

Donghae turned around and was surprised to see Sooyeon mobile and looking well. 

"Sooyeon! Oh thank god you're okay."

'Sooyeon' smiled amusingly and made sure Donghae could clearly see her face. "I wouldn't say God had anything to do with it." She quipped obviously amused by his comment. 

Donghae noticed that her eyes were back to that strange golden color that he'd seen on her before and wondered if she had gotten sick again. 

"Sooyeon...what are you-"

"Really, Donghae? You're going to play pretend with me now?"

Donghae gave her a strange look and cautiously took a step back. "What's going on?"

'Sooyeon' smirked and casually walked towards the table next to Donghae where the office coffee and cookies laid untouched. She took a cookie for herself and bit on it as she leaned against the table while Donghae continued to watch her every move. There was something off about her but he just couldn't put his finger as to what it was. 

"And here I thought you finally remembered our history. I have to say, I'm a little hurt."

Donghae was starting to feel frustrated from the constant riddles that came out of . "What are you talking about? What history? Who are you!?"

'Sooyeon' waved her hand around the room and almost instantly Donghae's surrounding went from his office to something clear white. His eyes widened with shock when literally everything in front of him was erased. He looked around him -- left, then right, up and then down, but all he saw was white. He wasn't even sure if he was standing or floating but all he knows was that something was keeping him in place. 

"I've got to admit. You and Hyukjae have a funny way of intertwining each other's destiny."

Donghae narrowed his eyes at her for mentioning Hyukjae. "What do you know about Hyukjae?"

"Relax," she waved him off. "Right now, at this very moment, nothing exists but you," she pointed at him teasingly and then at herself. "and me."

Donghae pushed her hand away from his chest and crossed his brows together in a mixture of confusion and anger. He couldn't make sense of anything that was going on and he wasn't sure if he was dreaming or having a . Is this what the afterlife looked like?

"Trust me. The afterlife will be a lot more confusing than this. Those little devils never did learn how to organize their souls properly."

Donghae stared at her bewildered, wondering if she could read his mind. 'Sooyeon' just laughed, her golden eyes shining from amusement. 

"I'd love to continue to play 20-questions with you but I think we both know what this is about."

Donghae scowled at her and said, "I don't even know what this is!"

"Oh, come on, Donghae. It's not rocket science!" She exclaimed, her patience wearing thin from Donghae's constant denial of what was in front of him. "I know it's been several decades but I don't think anyone's ever given you a gift better than time."

"What?"

Rolling her eyes, 'Sooyeon' impatiently approached Donghae and restored all his memories from his previous life, all the way to the beginning. All the way to when they first met.

Death only touched him for a second but the immediate reaction of the other being overwhelmed by several decades of his own reicarnation was enough to bring him down on his knees. Donghae gasped, eyes wide with the knowledge of how many times he had met and lost Hyukjae over and over in his life. After a minute of heavy breathing, he looked up at Death and completely bypassed the fact that he was still in his secretary's body and grabbed her collar, anger very apparent in his eyes. 

"You! You took Hyukjae away from me!"

Death remained calm and easily took Donghae's hands off him despite Sooyeon's small and delicate hands. Donghae groaned at the mild crushing pain Death's touch brought his hand and tumbled backwards once Death let him go. 

"I did not take Hyukjae away from you. Fate rolled the dice and I watched."

Donghar growled; not at all caring for that distinction. "Hyukjae should've been safe with me."

"He has been with you." Death pointed out and brought up the memory of their first meet up together at the cemetery. "You two just have a knack on finding each other even when you're not supposed to be together."

Donghae watched the memory fade away and glared at him. "What?" He spat and then Death played another memory from his prev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter