It Starts Today

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae looked himself over in the mirror carefully scrutinizing every detail of his look from the crease of his pants to the way his hair looked. He took several deep breathes and gave himself a determined look. 

"Okay, Eunhyuk," he said to his reflection. "Today, you're going to act like Eunhyuk. Right. I'm Eunhyuk. I'm...Eunhyuk. I am Eunhyuk," When the words still left a foreign feeling in his chest, Hyukjae pursed his lips together and lightly hit the side of the mirror out of frustration. He lost another day with Donghae and he doesn't see himself getting closer to him any time soon. 

A knock from the bathroom door brought his attentionn somewhere else. 

"Eunhyuk? Are you okay in there?"

Letting out another defeated sigh, Hyukjae knew he wouldn't accomplish anything any time soon staying in the bathroom so he turned away from the mirror and opened the door. The first thing he saw was Yesung's curious eyes looking at him. Hyukjae stared at him briefly before letting out a deep exhale and just walking past him. He was too depress about his current life to mess with Yesung this morning. 

Yesung, expecting some sort-of smart aleck remark from Hyukjae, was stunned to see him just walk by him. 

"Yah, what's wrong with you? Are you sick?"

"No," Hyukjae answered but did slump himself down on the chair in the living room. He folded himself up and stared up at the ceiling defeated. "Why are you all dressed up?"

"I gotta take Ryeowook out on a date today because you made me late yesterday," Yesung said trying to rile Hyukjae up into an argument but when the latter didn't bite, he got a little worried. "Seriously. What's wrong with you?"

Hyukjae did a long exasperated sigh and covered his eyes with his arm. An obvious sign that there was a lot going through in his mind. Yesung got worried and sat down adjacent to Hyukjae. 

"Okay, what is it? Tell me."

"Nothing," Hyukjae mumbled, hoping Yesung would just go away. 

"Liar," Yesung teased but when Hyukjae still didn't react, he knew it was up to him to get him moving. Walking inside his storage room, he dug through some things and struggled a little to carry it back out in the living room. Then, for dramatic effect, he loudly dropped the box near Hyukjae, effectively startling the other. 

"What the- what the hell is that?!" Hyukjae gave Yesung a weird look when he saw a box of strange looking knick-knacks next to him. 

"These were my treasured memorabilia that I've been meaning to donate but never had the time to. I was supposed to go today but thanks to your little stunt yesterday, I had a change of plans." Yesung smiled secretly when he saw Hyukjae roll his eyes at him. "So, today, you get the very special task of bringing it to the donation center."

Hyukjae scowled hearing the chore assigned to him. "I don't think anyone would want your crap, hyung."

Yesung swallowed down his urge to hit Hyukjae by fixis the collar of his shirt and kicking the chair he was sitting on instead. "Get up. I want this box gone when I come back later."

Hyukjae whined and slumped back in his spot on the chair until he heard the door shut after Yesung left. Alone in the apartment, Hyukjae was once again occupied with silence. Another sigh left his lips then as he tried to organize his thoughts. He misses Donghae. He wants to see Donghae but he has no reason to because at the moment, as Lee Eunhyuk, he has no place in Donghae's life. It was a hurtful and sombering thought to think that after so many years together and basically being each other's life, that he ends being a nobody to Donghae. 

"What am I going to do?" He asked out loud hoping another miracle would happen and something somewhere would give him an answer. Almost immediately, Hyukjae heard the phone Yesung lent him ding. Checking to see what the message was, Hyukjae rolled his eyes again after reading it. 

From: Yesung-nim

Get out of the house! I don't like living with a ghost! 

Annoyed at the latter's insistence, Hyukjae decided to change his name in the contacts. Once he had successfully successfully changed 'Yesung-nim' to 'Pabo Yesung' Hyukjae placed the phone in his back pocket and begrudgingly grabbed the box to go do as he was told. The box was definitely as heavy as it looked but once he got his foot out the door it was easier to manage. Lucky for him, the store wasn't too far from where Yesung lived and was able to manage the walk just fine. 

Hyukjae entered the store and quickly looked for the donation drop off. He saw the big drop-off sign to his left but when he started to get closer to it, his eyes widened when he saw Donghae standing there talking to the store helper. Gasping silently, Hyukjae hugged the box closer to himself and tried to hide behind a rack of clothes. Peering in a little, Hyukjae tried to hear as much as he could from where he stood. 

"Here's a list of items of your donation, sir. Please double check and make sure we didn't miss anything."

Donghae looked over the list that was handed to him and bit his lower lip as he contemplated turning around one more time knowing this would be his last chance to bring everything back home with him. He looked at the box and saw the couple scarves Hyukjae bought him for his birthday. His emotions getting the better of him, he indulged himself one last time and grabbed the neon green scarf off the top of the box before signing the paper. 

"Sorry. This wasn't supposed to be there," Donghae said as he folded the scarf carefully in his hands while handing the paper back to the store helper. The helper merely smiled understandingly before turning around to process Donghae's donation in the back. Left on his own, Donghae sighed heavily and looked down at Hyukjae's scarf in his hand. He held it tight afraid to even drop it on the floor. 

"Um, hello." Donghae heard a meek voice from behind him. He turned to see what the person wanted but was rendered speechless when he saw who it was. His grip on the neon green scarf tightened further that he could almost feel his fingers embed in his palm through the fabric. His heart beat faster the longer he looked at the person's presence. 

Hyukjae who's been hiding behind a rack of clothing watched the interaction sadly. He recognized everything in the box that Donghae donated to the store helper as it all belonged to him at some point. At the top of one of the boxes were his and Donghae's couple scarf he got them a couple years ago. A rush of mixed feelings went through him seeing the scarves about to part ways from Donghae. They wore it together every winter and it saddened him a little to see Donghae let it go but also a little happy that Donghae was willing to move on with his life. Followed by a small fear that started to grow in his heart that maybe Donghae was ready to leave him in the past. Forget everything about him and move on. A fear that was quickly remedied when Dongh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter