Chapter 8

When You Feel Like You Can’t Go On, Remember I’m Always Beside You

One and a half hours prior

The other members waved as Sua and Jiu left the dorm. Not long after the door shut, Siyeon uncovered herself from her previous, hastily made blanket cocoon.  Her thoughts were still reeling from the intense moment between her and Sua. Her current focus was on what the possible outcome would have been, had the other members not come home when they did. Siyeon unconsciously touched the tips of her fingers to her lips, the sensation of Sua’s warm breath on them, still very vivid in her memory.

The reminiscent woman was so deep in her own world; she missed everything that was being said to her until Yoohyeon gently put a hand on her shoulder.

“Unnie, are you okay? Is your fever picking back up again?” Yoohyeon’s eyes were soft and concerned; a relaxing sight for the frazzled vocalist.

She quickly snapped back to the moment at hand, and shook her head, quickly reassuring the younger, puppy-esque woman.

“I think my fever finally broke awhile ago Yoohyeon-ah. It’s just been… a really long day.” Siyeon‘s defeated tone didn’t escape Yoohyeon’s ears.

Siyeon hadn’t noticed that the other women had all briefly left, until they appeared beside the couch again. Gahyeon carried a cup of water and a cup of Siyeon’s favourite juice, seemingly unsure which one Siyeon could stomach at the moment, and deciding to bring both as a precaution. Handong carried a cooling pack and thermometer, while Dami was sorting through several bottles of medications with deft hands.

Siyeon wanted to burst into tears from the sheer amount of love and support she felt from her members, and in fact, she did just that. Yoohyeon frantically searched for tissues, while the other girl’s quickly set down their individual items to start consoling the bawling girl. Yoohyeon successfully slapped down a box of tissues in Siyeon’s lap a mere 20 seconds later. Siyeon thanked her through the tears and proceeded to blow her nose quite loudly. Her tears soon turned into laughs from the sound, and the other members joined in from the ridiculousness of it all.

Siyeon was quick to regain her composure, thanking her found family for always taking such good care of her. The raven tressed woman gratefully accepted the various items from the girl’s crowded around her. Before anymore fussing or worrying over Siyeon continued, Yoohyeon gently told the other member’s to go wash up and get ready for bed. They hesitated, but conceded in the end, knowing it didn’t take four people to take care of one sick patient. They all gave gentle pats and loving squeezes to various parts of Siyeon, wishing her a good night and a speedy recovery.

Once they disappeared into their respective rooms, Yoohyeon unceremoniously plopped down next to Siyeon. The lanky woman gave Siyeon’s knee a few light taps, silently requesting her attention. The older of the two turned her head in Yoohyeon’s direction, unsure of her intentions.

“Sooo, has it been a long day just because you’ve been sick or did something else happen?”

Yoohyeon’s question was soft spoken, her index finger scratching her chin as she stared at the television in front of them. Siyeon opened , but closed it soon after, any form of a response dying in the back of .

“I… I’m sorry Yoohyeon-ah. I don’t-I don’t think it’s something I can really talk about at this time.”

Torn between the fear of rejection and needing another person to discuss her thoughts and feelings with, Siyeon just hoped she wasn’t offending the woman next to her.

“Does it have anything to do with Sua-Unnie?”

Yoohyeon sifted her gaze to the side, noticing how Siyeon’s body tensed up immediately when the small dancer was mentioned.

“I might owe Jiu-Unnie a makeout session later. Kind of a weird bet, cause it’s really a win-win, but I’m not complaining.”

Yoohyeon made sure she didn’t smirk outwardly while thinking about her evening later once Jiu arrived back to the dorm. No, right now, her friend needed support and guidance, and she was sure as heck going to be the one to give it to her.

“If you’re not comfortable talking about this, I understand. Just know I’m willing to listen and help with you anything Unnie. And I do mean anything.”

The blonde emphasized her final word with a gentle squeeze to Siyeon’s knee. She needed to coax this issue out of her slowly. The last thing she wanted was for the troubled girl to clamp up and scurry away to her room.

Siyeon sat silent and still as a statue, running over multiple scenarios in her head. She trusted Yoohyeon, with her whole heart, truly. However, anxiety and over-thinking were her worst enemies in this situation. felt cemented shut; her tongue as dry as the Sahara.

Yoohyeon had an idea to try and push Siyeon into talking. She could feel the desperation to pour out a flurry of emotions emanating from the raven tressed girl. The lanky vocalist moved to get up from the couch.

“Well, if you don’t want to talk about it, I guess there’s nothing else I can do. I really wanted to help out too…” Yoohyeon’s words drifted off as she slowly started standing up. She took one small step forward, followed by another, until… a hand gripped desperately to her pant leg. She stood still, waiting for Siyeon to initiate the conversation.

“I-I think I love… Sua-Unnie.” Her hoarse voice pierced the silence of the large, cavernous feeling room.

Yoohyeon flopped back down on the couch, twisting her body to face one of her closest friends.

“Well, we all love Sua-Unnie, what’s wrong with that?” Yoohyeon purposefully pretended to not understand, wanting to force a more accurate confession out of the sickly vocalist.

“I’m IN love with Sua-Unnie. For a very long time if I’m truly being honest… You must think I’m horrible.” Siyeon’s voice was small and shaky, her body crumpling in on itself.

She was instantly enveloped in the tightest and warmest hug she’d received in a while.

“How in the world could you ever believe I would think of you like that for loving someone? Unnie, love is love. It doesn’t matter if you feel attraction to a man, woman or someone who identifies as neither. Love is beautiful and comes in so many unique and various forms.”

“You are still you. You are still my best friend. You are still my family. Doesn’t matter what you identify as or who you want to be with. You are Lee Siyeon; an amazing singer, the kindest, sweetest person, and someone I never want to lose in life.”

Yoohyeon’s grip never loosened during her small speech. Halfway through Siyeon returned the comforting embrace, silently crying into the blonde’s shoulder. The younger woman gently patted her head and let Siyeon get everything out of her system. Once she was finished, and Siyeon cleaned up her face a bit, Yoohyeon gently pushed for more information.

“So, do you think she loves you back in that way?”

“I’m not sure. Most days just feel like normal, but lately, and especially today, things feel very awkward and weird. Sometimes I think it’s just me acting weird or misreading cues, but...”

“But?”

“Her actions, the way she looks at me, her touches, it feels incredibly intimate and unlike anything she would do with you or any of the other members. I’m just… so damn confused Yoohyeon-ah.”

“Have you tried talking to her about it?”

Siyeon just shot her a look that said, “really?”.

“Yeah, not the smartest question. Okay, well, I think you’re going to have to woman up and have a hear-to-heart with her. Nothing will get solved if you don’t tell her how you feel and find out her feelings.”

Siyeon sighed lightly, knowing Yoohyeon was correct, but also knowing taking that kind of step was one of the most terrifying things to approach in her life to date.

“I wish it was that was easy Yoohyeon-ah, but… what if I’m wrong? What if she doesn’t feel the same? I don’t want to ruin our friendship. I don’t want to hurt the group either. And, I really don’t want to feel the pain of her not loving me back.” Siyeon was starting to get choked up again thinking about all the possible negative outcomes.

Yoohyeon wrapped her arm around Siyeon’s shoulders and gave her a side hug.

“I understand that Unnie. But, would you rather keep living in this form of purgatory-like hell, where you have no clue where you stand and keep tip-toeing around her? Whether she feels the same way or not, she will never let your friendship fall apart. Your connection is unbreakable; anyone who knows you two can see that. I mean, if she doesn’t reciprocate romantically, it will be very painful and take you a great deal time to process, but you will heal.”

“Life is full of hard choices and decisions, and living in a constant state of what-if, isn’t really living. Either she loves you back in that way or she doesn’t. And if she does not, fingers crossed that is not the case, but if it is, you begin the process of healing and moving on. You have your entire life to live, and if she isn’t “the one”, I promise your real partner will be out there somewhere. And hey, I’ll be always around to take care of you when you need it. You’ll never be alone Unnie.”

Yoohyeon finished her spiel with a soft kiss to the top of Siyeon’s head.

Siyeon replayed the blonde’s words over in head, feeling a sense of needed comfort and relief. She leaned into Yoohyeon’s hug, wondering when the younger woman became so wise beyond her years. Watching Yoohyeon grow into the intelligent and talented force was today, filled Siyeon’s heart with nothing but pride.

“Thank you Yoohyeon-ah, for everything. For listening to me with an open mind and heart, and providing me with the clarity I could not give myself.”

“Of course Unnie, any time. I know you’d do the same for me if the roles were reversed.”

Yoohyeon gave Siyeon one more warm bear hug, just for good measure. Hugs are one thing a person can never have too much of.

“When did you become so mature? I think you’ve spending too much time with Jiu-Unnie or something. Not a bad thing, of course.” Siyeon jokingly poked Yoohyeon’s side, smiling brightly for the first time that evening.

Yoohyeon almost choked on her saliva from the comment, but quickly composed herself.

“Ahhh, hahaha, thank you Unnie. I’m just glad I could help you feel better.” Yoohyeon laughed louder than she intended, completely avoiding the subject of Jiu.

“Both of us do not need to come out tonight, my god.”

Siyeon quirked an eyebrow at Yoohyeon’s odd behaviour. Before she could question the young blonde however, the front door opened, signaling the return of Jiu and Sua from their café trip.

Siyeon didn’t make eye contact as Sua took of her boots and removed her coat. Jiu looked over to Yoohyeon, giving her a wink and smirk. Yoohyeon’s eyes widened, and she quickly winked back, swiftly nodding her head in Siyeon’s direction. The eldest woman grinned from ear to ear and gave a subtle “OK” sign with her hand.

Jiu stretched her arms over her head, yawning exaggeratingly.

“Ahhhh, Yoohyeon-ah, that tea really made me sleepy. Would you like to help me set up your room for bedtime now?”

Yoohyeon tried to not get up from the couch too quickly in excitement at the prospect of alone time with her girlfriend.

“Y-Yes, of course Unnie. Goodnight Sua-Unnie. Goodnight Siyeon-Unnie, feel better soon.”

Yoohyeon gave Siyeon a few pats on the back before leading Jiu down the hallway. Once they were out of view, Yoohyeon had to bite back a squeal due to Jiu pinching her from behind. She quickly pulled the cheeky, ebony haired woman into their shared room for the night before she could cause any more potential trouble.

Jiu swiftly locked the door, grabbing Yoohyeon’s wrist, spinning her around and pinning her to the door. A deft, lithe finger glided slow and teasingly up Yoohyeon’s neck, resting under her chin.

“You know… I was right about Sua.” Her voice was sultry with a hint of haughtiness to it.

“Mmm, I guess that means you win-“ Yoohyeon’s words were cut off abruptly by soft yet eager lips crashing into her own. The blonde usually didn’t like to lose, but in this case, she had no complaints whatsoever.

----

Back in the living room, the silence was deafening. Neither woman made a sound, save for breathing. Eventually, Sua decided to break the glacier sized ice.

“Would you like to get ready for bed Singie? I’m sure you’re exhausted from today.” Sua took slow, tentative steps towards the couch, almost afraid her presence might frighten off the younger woman.

Filled with renewed confidence from her prior conversation with Yoohyeon, Siyeon looked up and smiled softly at the smaller woman in front of her.

“Yes please, Unnie.”

Sua returned the smile, her tense body slightly relaxing at the familiar sight of a happy Siyeon. She offered out her arm for Siyeon unconsciously. Realizing that skinship might be too awkward between them now, she began to retract the offered appendage. Before she could pull away, Siyeon had already wrapped both of her arms around Sua’s, pulling herself up off the couch. She pressed her body close to Sua’s, like she always did, and started to walk them down the hallway. It took everything within Sua to not shower the taller woman with affection and snuggle into her. If everything went right tonight, she hoped to be doing just those things in a few hours.

Her heart pounded loudly in her chest as she internally planned out the best way to confess to the love of her life before bed. Little did she know the object of her affection was thinking of similar things as they made their way into Siyeon’s room, preparing for sleep, and life altering conversations.