Chapter Seven

Cruel Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Seven

 

 

Joohyun walked slightly behind her superior as they make way to the office of the prosecutor’s special crime unit. She stopped and waited for her superior to know and lead their entry.

“Attorney Song! I’m glad you made it! And look who we have in our humble abode, the ever famous Attorney Kim! Welcome to the both of you!”

Pleasantries were exchange from her superior and the head of the unit. Then they were lead to the meeting where their real agenda will begin.

“So… let us cut the chase because we all hate that.”

Joohyun honestly doesn’t like that overly confident smile of this middle aged prosecutor and Joohyun also hate to admit it but he had the right to be confident because he’s a really good and honest prosecutor but she hopes he would lessen the boasting even just for a bit.

“Attorney Kim Joohyun, I want you to join my newly formed special unit. We definitely need someone of your caliber on our team. Not just us but the whole country need someone like you. Stop serving individual client for minor gain. Serve the greater mass, serve the people, serve the country. I’ll be honest with you, since this will be in a greater scale. The stress level will also be in a greater scale but the reward and honor is just as much. I believe Attorney Song had already briefed you as to why we had offered you this spot?”

“Yes, sir. I was already informed.”

“And you being here also means something positive.”

Joohyun locked stare with the veteran prosecutor before continuing.

“You said earlier to cut the chase but here we are testing waters.”

She saw him and her superior exchange small smile.

“This is why I chose her. See that Atty. Song?”

“I already readied your papers. You will be transferred to my unit as soon as you sign them and take your oath for the prosecutor’s office! Here’s your papers, you can have it, read it then I want to see your signature on it once it was returned to me!”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good! Atty. Song, I’m really sorry to steal such a competent lawyer from your firm but I’m really happy that you agreed with this! Besides, Attorney Kim is born to be a prosecutor!”

“I did nothing sir, I just delivered the news to Atty. Kim and I let her decide on this matter on her own. Yes, it will be a lost to us but this new experience will allow our Atty. Kim to grow stronger and wiser.”

Joohyun looked at her superior and gave her a grateful smile.

“We will take our leave for now, Sir!”

“Thank you, Atty. Song! And see you at the prosecutor’s office soon Prosecutor Kim!”

“Thank you, sir.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Joy! You better be ready! I’m near your apartment!”

“I’m ready! In fact, I’m on my way to the bus station to meet you!”

“Good! Be there in five,”

“Bye! See you!”

Yerim ended the call and put her cellphone back in her bag.

‘I’m going to find whatever piece of information I can about our father’s case.’

It was true when she said she’ll go to the library with Joy to make a research. It’s just that she left that crucial information as to why they’re having this research. It was for her to see for own eyes what really happened 19 years ago. She’s sure that there will articles of in the newspaper archive and that where they’ll be for the next few hours.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Irene sighs for the umpteenth time since her meeting with the chief prosecutor this morning because as if it’s some kind of joke the destiny is playing at her at the moment seems so absurd and she really want to laugh at it, only she can’t and all she can do right now is grit her teeth and sigh.

She just finished reading the email their uncle had sent her, he’s asking if she could look into on-going process of the parole plea of that man.

‘Should I go ask Seo Juhyun about this? I think she handled a few cases like this before.’

Irene sigh once more.

‘Taeyeon unnie is not sending me any message regarding this, is she keeping it all to herself again?’

And another one.

‘Why won’t she let me help her?’

‘I mean even if I hate that man, I would never let her do this all by herself again!’

Irene snapped to her thoughts when she realized that she had broken the pencil in her hand from too much frustration.

“Whatever that is that your thinking, it’s definitely not a good thing.”

“Atty. Song?! You almost give me a heart attack!”

“The whole team wants to throw you a farewell-slash-good luck party, are you up for it?”

“Ma’am, you know me and parties… we don’t go along well…”

“Come on, Prosecutor Kim.”

“Okay, ma’am… just please don’t go all crazy...”

“Of course, of course, you can trust me on this one! Just a simple dinner with you and the whole team then you can open the drinking part then leave after a short speech! Deal?”

“Deal.”

Irene saw the proud smile of the middle-aged woman who had taught her everything from the very start. She was grateful for everything Attorney Song had helped her with when she was just a young and freshly law school graduate.

“Ma’am, please excuse me for a bit. I forget that I have something to discuss with Atty. Seo.”

“Ah okay, go ahead! Just don’t disappear later.”

Irene softly knocks at the glass door, she saw her bestfriend stopped whatever she’s reading and smiled at her direction

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter