Chapter Ten

Cruel Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Ten

The Bestfriends

 

 

“Hello good morning, Prosecutor Kim Joohyun.”

“Is this an official call or you’re just teasing me first thing in the morning, Atty. Seo Juhyun?”

“Both. So how’s the first week at the office? Liking hell so far?”

“Just as what I’ve expected.”

“Then I won’t worry for your mental and physical health for now.”

Irene let’s out a small laugh. They threw silly jabs at each other like this all the time that their colleagues find it hard to believe that they’re actually best friends.

“Now. For my official business.”

“Okay…”

“I just received a letter from the parole board office and I already went to call them as well to confirm it.”

“So what is it about?”

“The order has been finalized. Your father will be released as soon as the procedures are done and the papers are filed.”

Irene freezes upon hearing the news. She doesn’t know if this is a good news or bad news. Good news for her aunt and uncle. But what about her sisters, specially her unnie. And what about her?

‘I hardly feel anything about it, but I’m worried… very worried…’

“Prosecutor Kim? Irene? Hey… are you still there?”

She cleared . She got lost in her own thoughts there for a second. Her bestfriend is using her nickname now which means only one thing. She’s more worried to her now than being professional.

“I’m still here… so it’s finalized. When will be the released date?”

“Yes it’s final. Probably by the start of new year. So that’s next month.”

“I see. What about the summon? What happened to that?”

“I thought you won’t ask. We’ll the family decided not to go with it anymore, it was their personal request. Their family lawyer said that it was their way to move on and hoped that the court respected it.”

“I see…”

“I will take care of the process. You don’t have to worry about anything. I will update you again soon. It will be an easy task from here onwards.”

“Thank you, Seohyun.”

Irene was about to end their call when she heard her best friend calling out on the earpiece.

“Irene! I’m sorry, I forgot to tell you one more thing.”

“What is it?”

“Joohyun… I’ll be visiting the correctional facility later to meet with your— Mr. Kim. I will brief him about his parole and the procedures for his on-coming release. Is there any message you want to—“

“Nothing. And don’t tell him I was the one who asked you to handle his case, this was all my aunt and uncle’s doing in the first place.”

“Okay, I understand.”

“Thanks again, Seohyunie.”

Irene powerlessly slouched back on her swivel chair when the call ended.

“What now?”

She helpless asked to no one but maybe she was asking Fate and was hoping for any answer.

 

 

 

 

“Katie, are you sure about this? I don’t want to be put behind bars by your unnie! You know how much she dislike me!”

Joy reached out to her bestfriend with slightly trembling hands as they lurk somewhere near the engineering department building waiting for the person that they’ve been trying to meet up the past few days.

‘More like stalking…’

“Katie!!!”

“Sush, Joy! Why are you so whinny?”

“She’s not here! We’ve been waiting for her for days! Well more like stalking her for days! And she’s still a no show!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter