The Reunion

What Happened in the Art Room
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The couple sat awkwardly at the kitchen table and the only adult in the apartment preparing some milk and cereals for them. 

"There's something different." She said as squinting her eyes towards her niece and her girlfriend. 

"Wh.. What's different aunty?" Byul asked. 

"Hmmm. Don't know. Something... But I can't tell. Maybe I have a hangover. My head is killing me."

Byul and Yongsun exchanged looks and sighed relief. Dahee didn't notice the girls switched shirts, Yongsun wore Byul's pajama and Byul wore the purple t-shirt from last night. They were eating cereals and the older woman continue,

"Byulyi, do you still remember what day is today?"

"Of course, aunty. How can I forget." Byul answered with a sad eyes and stopped eating her cereals. 

"Sorry to ask. What day is today?" Yongsun curious what made her girlfriend feeling down. 

"My mother's death anniversary." The blonde girl replied. 

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You didn't know. Yong, do you want to meet my mother?"

 

After the girls took shower, Yongsun borrowed Byul's clothes and Dahee drove them to the columbarium downtown. They were walking in silence, Byul holding the flower bouquet they bought earlier. The brown haired girl felt awkward but she wanted to be supportive to her girlfriend. She held Byul's arm to comfort her. The aunt was the first to talk. She stood in front of the urn and held the picture of her and her older sister.

"Unnie, hello. It's been awhile. I'm sorry I didn't visit you often, I was too busy." Dahee said.

"Unnie, I did something that you would be proud of. I saved Byulyi from him. She's living with me now, unnie. She became a great woman and has a smart brain like yours. And she looks just like you too. Unnie... I miss you." She's rubbing the urn and started crying.

The girls stood behind Dahee and Byul trying so hard not to cry. Her face was red and blinking her teary eyes. Yongsun reached her bag and handed a tissue. Seeing here girlfriend sad broke her heart, the blonde girl was her protector and now Yongsun's turn to be there for Byul. She also glad that Byul opened up to her and brought her there. She felt closer to Byul's family. After Dahee finished, it's Byul's turn to talk to her mother.

"Mother... I'm here." Byul's sobbing.

"I'll be graduate soon, mother. I studied hard and I want to make you proud. Even though I can't see you, but I know you are always watching over me. I always felt guilty for being alive because you were gone because of me. Thank you for giving birth to me, mother. I... I will live my life well and study hard in college, have a decent job and... marry the love of my life." The blonde girl turned her head and stared at Yongsun with a sad smile.

Hearing the last sentence, Yongsun's heart pounded. She just spent an intimate night with Byul and her girlfriend just said she wanted to marry her in the future. She's smiling back at her girlfriend.

"Mother, I want you to meet someone." Byul took Yongsun's hand and they were standing side by side.

"Mother, this is Yongsun, my girlfriend. Yong, this is my mother, Lee Dahyun."

"Hello, Mrs. Lee. I promise I will always be there for Byul. I may not be perfect or anything, but I will try my best to make her happy. Thank you for bringing an amazing girl to this world. I don't know what would happened to me now if I didn't meet and spend that night with your daughter. She made my life better." Yongsun said with her smile that warmed Byul's heart.

On their way home, Dahee bought the girls lunch and they spent the rest of afternoon together.

 

While waiting for the CSAT result, Yongsun spend her days at school with her girlfriend and the sophomore couple more often and they ate lunch together like always. The older girl asked her girlfriend to accompany her to Jeonju on the weekend. She wanted to meet her sister and her family for the first time after 3 years. The blonde girl accepted it right away and excited that they would traveling together by train.

It took less than 2 hours from Seoul to Jeonju, they bought the KTX tickets and got on the train in the morning. They traveled light, only brought pajamas and clothes to change the next day. Yongsun brought an extra bag, inside there were snacks and foods for them and for her nephew. 

The older girl took out a tanghulu from her snack bag and Byul squealed like a little girl. The younger girl ate the candied strawberries happily. Her cheeks filled with the fruits and Yongsun thought she looked a lot like a hamster with puffy cheeks. 

"Byul-ah, eat slowly! It's not like someone will steal them from you. Aigo, you are such a kid." Yongsun said. 

"I'm happy, Yong. I never traveled far like this before. This is new for me."

"Is there any place do you want to go?" Yongsun asked. 

"Hmm... Switzerland?"

"Why?"

"Just because. I saw the pictures of the mountains and the views. They look peaceful and I thought it would be nice to go there. Do want you go with me in the future?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter