The Solution

What Happened in the Art Room
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's already 10 pm and the lights in her house were already off, Yongsun didn't want to wake up her parents, so she tiptoed up the stairs. She opened her bedroom door and saw someone was sleeping on her bed. It's her mother. She was sleeping while holding a framed picture of her daughters. Yongsun slowly sat next to her mother and shook her body slowly.

"Mother, mother. Why are you sleeping here?" She whispered.

Startled, Mrs. Kim suddenly opened her eyes and sat up on the bed,

"Oh, Yongsun-ah. You're here." She said as she fixing her hair, her eyes were swollen. It looked like she was crying and fell asleep.

"Yes. What's wrong, mother?" Yongsun asked.

Mrs. Kim hugged her youngest daughter and said that she's sorry. She knew Yongsun always put a smile on her face for her parents, even though she's suffering inside. The mother realized that all this time, she was wrong to defend and supported her husband. She knew her daughters had their own paths in life, and at some point, she and her husband had to let them choose on their own. Then, Mrs. Kim continued to tell Yongsun what really happened to Yonghee, her oldest daughter. Yonghee was 3 years older than Yongsun, she was tall, beautiful, and had similar features as Yongsun. She was also smart, the real star student. She was perfect and had great personalities too. Everyone adored her more than Yongsun, but despite that, she loved her little sister so much. 

One day, during her senior year in high school, she came home with her boyfriend, Choi Jungsuk. He asked permission to Mr. & Mrs. Kim, he wanted to marry Yonghee, the young couple said Yonghee was 3 weeks pregnant and they wanted to keep the baby. Thankfully, the boy was sweet, kind and loyal, but sadly Mr. Kim was not. During that time, the Kim Family looked happy from outside, but the reality was they were devastated. Yonghee was stubborn, like her father. Even though the parents told her to get an abortion, she refused. She already in love with her unborn child and wanted to do everything to keep it safe with the love of her life. The innocent 16 years old Yongsun was clueless about everything because the rest of her family members were great at keeping secrets. One night when the youngest daughter about to sleep, her sister came over to her bedroom and they chatted on the bed.

"Sun-ah, do you love unnie?" Yonghee asked.

"Why do you ask that? Of course I love you." Yongsun said.

"Okay. Promise me this. Promise that you will be your own person and chase your dream, whatever it will be." The oldest daughter held her sister's hand on her palm.

"Sure. Unnie?" There's an ache on Yongsun's chest, she felt that her sister was about to leave her.

"What?" Yonghee said with a sad smile.

"What's wrong? Why do I feel like you're saying goodbye?" The clueless sister asked.

"It's nothing. Don't worry. Just live your life to the fullest okay? Don't have any regrets. Do things that you want, love whoever you want, and most importantly, be brave. I won't be there to protect you anymore." Yonghee brushed her sister's hair and kissed her head.

"Unnie... Don't say things like that. Where are you going?" Yongsun cried, Tears falling down on both cheeks and she didn't even bother to wipe them off.

"I will live my own life. I've made a decision and I will do it tonight. Don't cry, Sun-ah. I will keep in touch with you. I love you, my little sun." Yonghee got up and left the room and abandoned her crying sister on the bed.

Yongsun knew it would be the last time she talked to her sister, but she didn't know where her sister was going. Her body went numb and she just stay still on the bed crying all night. The next morning, her parents were panicked because Yonghee left a goodbye note saying she's eloping with Jungsuk and will stay in his cousin's place in Jeonju. She told them to not to go after her and they couldn't change her mind anymore. She would raised the baby and built a small, happy family. When Yongsun woke up, her parents made up a story and told her that her sister went to London earlier in the morning with their uncle. She went to finish her senior year and would continued to college there. She left in a rush because it was a last minute decision related to the school's scholarship in London.

Of course Yongsun didn't buy it, but she knew if she questioned her parents, she would got scolded. She just accepted the lie and shut for years and became Yonghee's replacement for her father. One year had passed, Yongsun wondered why her sister didn't contact her at all like she was promised before. She asked her mother and she said her sister was busy with her study and Yongsun needed to focus on hers too. Year after year, she was used to her loneliness at home and she continued living her life rarely thinking about her sister. Until tonight.

Mrs. Kim finally told her that Yonghee was pregnant, got married in secret and living with her family in Jeonju. They'd been telling people Yonghee was in London to protect the family's reputation. No one knew the truth. Then Mrs. Kim handed a letter Yonghee sent 3 months ago on Yongsun's hands. With teary eyes, The youngest daughter opened the envelope, there's a handwritten letter and a family photo inside, Yonghee, Jungsuk and their 3 years old son.

 

"Hello, Sun-ah! It's your unnie.

How are you? I hope you're doing well in school. I know you're struggling but don't lose hope! You can do it!

If you're wondering why I didn't contact you, that's becaus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter