Stuck

Broken Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To solchi_7, annyeong! Thank you for upvoting! 

 

For this update, simplehan muna natin. :)

 

 

 

 

 

“Jebal. Jebal.” Dara kept on chanting as she tried hard to get even a faint signal connection on her cellphone. “Jebal.” The stars have shown, and the cicadas happily sang their song for the night. “Jebal. Come on.” It had been an hour since the two of them harassed their phones to connect to someone. “Jebal.”

 

Donghae groaned under his breathing, seemingly so much annoyed at their unplanned overnight in the island. “Unbelievable.”

 

Dara glanced at him then turned to her phone again. “Jebal.”

 

“I give up.” Donghae announced, as he walked under a palm tree and sat on the sand.

 

Dara followed him and sat, keeping a distance between them. If the island under the sun mesmerized them a while ago, at night, it was enough to enchant their souls. There’s the silence that surrounds them. It isn’t eerie, rather it’s even calming, perhaps it blends well with the waves crashing gently on the shore. Or maybe it’s the person they’re with. “I think,” She began to say. “A help will definitely come.”

 

Donghae looked at her.

 

“I mean, I’m sure the people in the resort, especially Manager Leeteuk, will notice that you haven’t come home. They will find and try to contact you, boss.” She said convincingly.

 

Donghae shook his head. “I don’t think so.” He looked at his feet. “I always just go straight to my villa whenever I use the boat to sail somewhere. They won’t be going to visit there either. Heechul hyung hates walking that far.” He sighed. “They might notice it in the morning when I don’t show up in the office. I’m betting a help will arrive in the morning already. Earliest would be at 9.”

 

Dara sighed too. It’s not that she hates the idea of spending the night in the island with him, it was his boss she was actually thinking about. He looked uncomfortable and awkward with her around. Or was it just her thinking?

 

“Won’t your roommate notice that you’re missing too?” Donghae asked her this time.

 

Dara pursed her lips to the side, a sign of hesitation. “I’m not really counting on Minzy.” She replied apologetically. “I always go to our room late because of the baking at night. When I come to our room, she’s already asleep. I guess the only time she’ll notice that I haven’t gone home will be tomorrow too.”

 

Donghae just nodded, accepting the reality of the two of them stuck there. “I’m sorry, Dara.”

 

“Eh?” She was surprised at that.

 

“You’re not really supposed to be here.” He said. “If it wasn’t for-”

 

“Ani! Ani!” Dara waved her hands at him. “It’s okay, boss. It’s for work. It’s really no one’s fault that we’re stuck here.”

 

Donghae just nodded to her quietly.

 

“P-plus,” She stood up from sitting. “The island is really beautiful at night. Don’t you think that we should take a few shots for the board too? It’s a good opportunity.”

 

Donghae chuckled. “No need.”

 

“Really? I really think it’s a good idea, boss. You could just walk there,” Dara pointed at the seashore. “I’ll take your video. It’ll come out perfect because you are really handsome.” It felt like her tongue stepped back with her statement.

 

“You think that I’m handsome?” Donghae looked at her.

 

. “E-everyone does.” She looked frozen standing in front of him.

 

“But do you?”

 

Dara took a deep breath. “Yes, sir.” She thanked that there was no bonfire in front of them. She’s sure her face is betraying her again.

 

Donghae just looked at her and made a slight chuckle. He looked away from her and stared at the horizon. It took a moment before Dara looked away from him to sit on her place. Silence enveloped the two again.

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

Dara turned to him. “A bit.”

 

“Wait here.” Donghae stood and went back to the boat, looking for something. He returned with a small cooler on his hands. “Sorry. I don’t really bring a lot of food when I sail.” He explained. “I got a bottled water and a biscuit.” He handed it to her. “You can have these.”

 

“Kamsahamnida.” Dara took it from him and began to eat. “What’s in the cooler?” She handed her biscuit to him, but when Donghae refused to take some, she stretched her hand even more. He eventually took a few bites.

 

Donghae opened it. “Beers.”

 

Dara clapped her hands gladly, then stopped when he gave her a weirded look. “Oh! Mianhe. I mean, I can really take anything right now.” She bowed.

 

Donghae just smiled and gave her a can of beer. The two began to drink as the time passed by. Even the silence present sounded like a music to their ears. It was 9:35 p.m. Donghae was on his 5th beer, while Dara started on her 3rd. She kept on glancing to the man secretly.

 

“Boss.” She began, feeling more confident now that she had taken some alcohol.

 

“Yes?”

 

“I think I haven’t thanked you for taking me back again in your resort.” She looked at him seriously. “I’m very grateful. After what I did . . . after knowing who I was, you still took me in.”

 

“The resort really needs someone like you. That’s all in the past now.” He told her. “Just a question though. Why did you accept that job from my brother?” He really was curious about the reason why women would take a job like that.

 

“I have this dream.” Dara smiled softly. Donghae just listened to her. “It’s always my dream to go to Paris to enroll in this school. Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-Scottsdale. It’s the best baking school in the world!” She chuckled, feeling silly as well. “I needed money for all the expenses. I tried saving, but the more I try to save money, the more the world sends me stuff to pay. It felt like I was going nowhere, until . . .” She paused. “Until I met your brother.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter