Spark

Broken Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Stream Donghae oppa's California Love and Blue Moon & Eunhyuk oppa's Be and Red Muhly!!! D&E fightiiiiinnggg!!!

 

 

 

 

Leeteuk took the glass of fresh mango juice on the table and sipped on it. He and Donghae were both studying a proposal in the owner’s office. “What do you think?” He asked the younger man.

 

Donghae sipped on his iced coffee. “I think it’s alright.” He leaned back on his chair. “Didn’t we think of this back then too?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

The two were talking about the proposal about making an ad campaign for the resort. The board agreed that it’ll attract more tourists as they planned to have print ads such as posters and billboards posted in other parts of the country too, not just in Jeju. Plus, a commercial ad on Youtube will be included.

 

“Why didn’t we push it through back then? I remember everything was set. Right?” Leeteuk asked as he remembered how he had made calls to different people about the project more than a year ago.

 

Donghae looked at him quietly. “I went to New York.”

 

Leeteuk was quiet after hearing that. Right. He followed Eunhyuk there. The manager cleared his throat, not wanting to ask questions about Eunhyuk. To be honest, Leeteuk, Heechul and Eunhyuk still kept in touch. They were friends after all. It’s just that they never talked anything that was Donghae related since the break-up. Eunhyuk never asked anyway. Well, Donghae was the same way too. Heechul and Leeteuk just decided to let the two. If the world brings them together again, so be it. If not . . . The older friends hoped the four of them could still be friends when the right time comes. “When do you wanna start this campaign? So, I can work on it.”

 

“Hmmmn. Next week?” Donghae smiled.

 

“Arasso.” Leeteuk nodded, sipping on his juice again. “Any director in mind?”

 

Donghae pondered. “I don’t know any director, hyung.”

 

“Okay.” Well. Leeteuk knows someone. “What concept do you want exactly?”

 

“Concept?”

 

“Yeah. Concept.” Leeteuk nodded. “Like should it be classy? Or y . . . I know hot models, male and female for that. Or you know, wild party type. I saw this one resort ad in Phuket, Thailand, highlighting their famous Full Moon party, it was awesome!” He whistled and looked at the ceiling then back to Donghae. “So, what is it? What exactly do you want Sapphire Ocean Beach Resort be known for?”

 

The owner was quiet as he stared back at the question. “Well, I . . .” He paused. “Sapphire Ocean Beach Resort . . .” He thought deeply. “I . . .” He got nothing. “I’m not sure.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara enjoyed the cold water of the ocean kissed her feet gently as she walked on the shore at night. It has become a habit of her to just walk on the long fine shore of the resort after baking at the café. The sound of waves takes away all the fatigue she’s had for the day. It was almost 10 in the evening, and she was headed back to their dorm, when she saw the resort’s owner quietly sitting on the boat docked on the seashore, staring at the horizon before him. She quietly continued her steps, not wanting to scare him. “Good evening, boss.” Dara greeted with a smile when she stopped a few steps away from the boat.

 

Donghae turned his head to the right. He smiled back. “Good evening.” Actually, he saw her taking a stroll on the shore a few minutes ago from a far. He just looked away when she was near him.

 

“What are you doing here, alone?” She smiled softly as she finally stopped beside him.

 

“Thinking.”

 

“Ahhhh.” Dara nodded and thought that her boss might want to be alone for a reason. She was about to bade good night, but the words halted when Donghae gestured her to sit beside him.

 

“Sit.”

 

Her eyes widened in surprise. “Eh?” She glanced at the space beside him.

 

Donghae straightened his back. “Oh. If you want to leave already, it’s-” His words faded when Dara quickly sat beside him, making the small boat rocked a bit. A light chuckle escaped his lips as he turned his gaze back at the ocean.

 

Dara’s eyes fell on the thing on his hand. “That’s beautiful.”

 

Donghae followed what she was staring at. A picture of the resort’s white shore and turquoise water, shining under the orange rays of the sunset. He gave her the picture for her to see better. “Yeah. It is.”

 

Dara smiled at the image. “Who took it?”

 

“I did.”

 

“Wow! You’re good at it, boss.”

 

“It’s one my hobbies since I was in college.” He told her. He remembered those times he was in SMU’s photography club.

 

“What is?” Dara asked him. She looked back when her attention was caught by the young adults at the far right who were having a little too much fun with alcohol and music.

 

“Photography.”

 

His answer was meddled with the sound of those dancing people’s loud shouts that it registered a different answer to her. Her eyes almost bulging as she turned to him quickly. “ography?!”

 

Donghae’s mouth dropped, totally humiliated for the accusation. “PHO. TO. GRA. PHY.” His enunciation per syllable was so loud that it kinda hurt the lady’s eardrums. “You seriously need to have your ears cleaned everyday.” He frowned at her.

 

Dara laughed awkwardly and scratched the back of her head. “Ahhh. S-sorry, boss.”

 

Donghae shot her another irritated look as he looked back at the ocean to calm his offended record of good moral. Habit? ography? He wanted to give her another deadly glare. Do I look like a or a pedo in the making? This girl needs to have checked up too.

 

It took Dara ten minutes to finally speak again. She was blaming the party people at the back for making her boss pissed at her. “Uhmmm. What are you thinking, boss?”

 

“What?” He’s still annoyed.

 

“N-not now.” She thought he was thinking of smashing her head with a boat’s paddle or something as of the moment. “A while ago. You looked serious a while ago.” She tried to smile.

 

Donghae finally eased. “It’s about the ad campaign for next week.”

 

“Oh that.” Dara’s face lightened.

 

“You know about it?” Donghae looked at her.

 

Dara nodded fast. “I heard Chef Heechul and the manager talking about it during lunch in the restaurant.” She recalled. “Manager Leeteuk said that you haven’t decided about the concept. Then, Chef Heechul suggested for a pole dancing concept by the beach with surfers on trunks. Complete with bubbles and stuff. I swear I saw the manager about to walk out on him after hearing that.”

 

Donghae laughed. “He’s crazy.”

 

He’s a psycho. Dara wanted to tell but still values her job if ever the owner rats her out to the chef, instead Dara just smiled. “So, you really haven’t decided of the concept.”

 

Donghae shook his head. His head already hurt after thinking about it all day. He sure had a lot of ideas coming in, but nothing actually made impact to him. Something’s missing.

 

Dara pursed her lips to the side. “There’s this ad I saw in the Philippines a few months ago.” Donghae looked at her. “They used Boracay’s night life. It was so bright and fun. It highlighted what the millennials and Gen Z nowadays enjoy the most.”

 

Donghae nodded, still thinking. “Yeah. They might like that, but . . .” Not it.

 

“Or you could go with a mysterious vibe.” Dara’s hands raised above her head, making an imaginary rainbow glitter “An enchanting place.” Donghae looked at her weirdly. “You could use the island that we visited last month. It’s perfect for that concept.”

 

Perfect? Donghae thought about the suggestion. “Yeah. That’ll get their interest.” Not it

 

“Orrrrr…” She pointed upwards. “There’s this picture I saw showing the beach of California. You know what they say about Cali beach. There are women on skimpy bikinis sunbathing, piña coladas, couples making love even . . .” She paused then her eyes twinkled. “Like California love! That’s a good concept.”

 

Donghae considered and looked at the resort. Not it.

 

Dara watched the slight crease on his forehead under the moonlight. He still hasn’t decided. “You know, boss,” She smiled at him softly. “Maybe you should stop focusing on what people want to see in Sapphire Ocean Beach Resort.”

 

“Huh?” That confused him. A simple businessman may asked, how are they gonna sell then, if it’s not for the buyers?

 

“Try to think first on what you see in this place, so people can see it too.”

 

Donghae was silent as he stared at her.

 

“What is this place for you?” Dara gave him her most sincere smile. It shone that it could beat the moonlight above. Dara watched him grew even more quiet, she stood and walked to the water in front of the boat. She let her feet be engulfed with calming coldness of it.

 

“You.”

 

“Hmm?” Dara turned to him again, and saw him still staring at her.

 

“What is this place for you?” He should be answering that question but somehow, he felt like directing it to her. He felt like he had to hear her answer. Donghae guessed she would answer it with a working place, a source of income, or a place that saved her from all the s in the city . . .

 

An escape?

 

Is this what the resort is to him too?

 

It didn’t take Dara a second to reply. “Home.”

 

The crease on his forehead was instantly gone as Donghae watched her tiny face glowed after saying that.

 

Dara turned to look around with her hands flapped on the air. “This is home!” She turned around in circles excitedly, then stopped on the dark but glistening horizon. It is where I found peace. It is where I can be myself. It is where I will always want to go back. “For me, this is home.” Her voice whispered to the sea. The sea replied with the waves that crashed on her feet as agreement.

 

Donghae’s eyes fell on her tiny feet that were slowly buried in the sand.

 

What’s in Jeju that Switzerland doesn’t have?

 

He remembered Leeteuk’s question one sunny morning.

 

His peace.

 

That was what he thought, and he was right.

 

It is his home.

 

“Home.” The word slipped absentmindedly from his mouth.

 

“Yes.” Dara nodded so fast at the sea, still wearing that big proud smile, feeling that she is always ready to attack anyone who will badmouth the resort. She turned to look at him again but immediately froze to the ground when Donghae’s strong hands caught her in the arms, melting her on the spot, with the way his eyes twinkled on her.

 

“Home!” He repeated the word in so much happiness. It’s as if he was a mad scientist and has finally found the answer he needed. Dara’s breath hitched with the way his face was only a few inches awa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter