Chapter 7: Stuck In The Past

Clearing Our Names

-just a heads up to let you know ahead of time that there will be a new character introduced, but it's not the idol you probably thinking about, the very bottom will explain who the new character is

 

The sound of Wheein and Hyejin's footsteps could be heard in the night as they ran from the angry mob behind them. Torches and pitchforks were held high as they chased after the devil children. As the two ran, Hyejin lost her footing and fell to the ground. Wheein turned beside her and reached her hand out for her friend to take.

"Hyejin!" The girl screamed, but before she could reach her, a hand grabbed her from behind and pulling her away.

 

Wheein turned back and was horrified to see who it was. “It’s all right dear,” The familiar voice called out. “Mother will get rid of that curse for you.” A knife raised high and quickly sent down.


Wheein gasped as she stood herself up. She looked around to find Hyejin sleeping soundly beside her and sighed in relief. She then felt her backside and grasped the spot where her tail used to be. The pain lingered both emotionally and physically. She always wondered if she and Hyejin would live normal human lives in their old home, wondering if her mother would have still loved her if she wasn’t stupid back then.


"Everything alright Wheein?"

The werewolf was shocked to hear a voice call for her and looked around until she found Byulyi sitting on top of a rock with Yongsun sleeping soundly in front of it. She forgot the vampire doesn’t need sleep. "Yeah, just a nightmare."

"Want to talk about it? You know, supernatural to supernatural?"

Wheein smiled at the suggestion. “Yeah, okay.” She quietly stood up in order to not wake the other two and walked towards Byulyi to sit next to her on the large rock. "I had a nightmare." She said after she sat down and looked to her side. Seeing no verbal reaction coming her way, so she presses forward. "Me and Hyejin were kids, running away from our village, but while we were running, she fell and I tried to save her. Except I couldn’t, cause my mo-, I mean someone I knew grabbed me and-" her eyes filled up with tears rethinking the event. “And she raised her knife at me and, and- “ She couldn’t hold back the tears, letting them run down her face as she choked back a sob. Not wanting to wake the others.
 

Byulyi feeling sympathy towards the wolf pulled her into a hug. She didn’t say anything and let Wheein release all her feelings onto her shoulder. After the wolf’s sobs seem to quiet down, she spoke. “Is this about your werewolf curse? More specifically your missing tail?” She only got a nod as a response. “I don’t want to intrude, but may I ask who the person who cut it was?”

 

“My mom,” Wheein said quietly.

 

Byulyi held tight onto the younger woman’s shirt. She remembered hearing that if someone turned into a werewolf and in order to stop the curse, you must chop off the tail. It was obviously fake, but many people believed it and the thought of Wheein’s own mother doing that to such a sweet person like Wheein, angered her. However, she knew being upset would do nothing and instead went to cheer her friend up as she knew the werewolf needed it.

 

The vampire pulled Wheein off of her so she could look her in the eyes. "Hey, you see that woman over there?" Wheein followed where Byulyi was pointing at to see Hyejin sleeping peacefully in her sleeping bag. "Whatever you thought about, was a nightmare and just that. Hyejin is still over there sleeping, dreaming about food, or finding her forever home with you. And your of a mother isn’t here, so your safe. Me, Solar, and Hyejin will make sure no one else hurts you as she did."

Wheein wiped the tears, smiling warmly as she watched her friend’s chest rise and fall. Hyejin was the only one she could trust back then. The one who learned magic and witchcraft, so Wheein wasn’t the only one to feel like a freak. She knew it didn’t matter where they slept as long as they were together, cause Hyejin was her forever home. She then turned her attention back at the vampire, feeling much better. "Thank you, Byul. I really needed someone to talk to about this and though I wished it was Hyejin, I'm glad it was you."

"Always happy to help,” Byulyi smirked and went to ruffle the werewolf's hair. “Us cursed beings gotta stick together. " She laughed quietly when Wheein shoved her off. The mood was dimmed down as she looked off into the direction Hyejin was. “It would have been better for Hyejin to tell you, but she seems really tired, so I don't mind doing her job. I see you two as my younger sisters, so I’d do anything to make you guys happy.”

 

Wheein realized she doesn’t know much about the vampire, like how she doesn’t know much about her and Hyejin. She wondered if Byulyi had a family who reacted poorly to her curse as well. She wanted to know more about her and was about to ask questions until the vampire cut her off. Like she knew what she was thinking.

 

“You should go back to sleep, we have a long way to walk before we reach another town."

Wheein groaned. "Fine, but I don't know why I have to when the horses will be doing most of the work." She then jumped off the rock, making sure she didn't jump on Yongsun on the way down. "How long until we reach another town or village?"

"Four more days and you need to wake up early for tomorrow, cause you're our trouble sniffer. I was surprised the Dreamcatcher group hasn’t tried to capture us again for three days now, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll try something again."

Wheein sighed as she laid in her sleeping bag to sleep. "Fine."

 



Byulyi was half right, they haven't tried to capture the four women in the past three days after the house fire incident, but she was wrong in the area where they were planning to capture them again.

Ever since Solar saved Minji, Bora, and Yoohyeon, the red-haired vampire had decided to let the four women go but wanted some answers to her questions. The main one being what the raven-haired woman meant when she said she was trying to clear her name. It puzzled Minji so much and every time she went to get intel on the four it was always the same. They robbed the kingdom's safe, killing three guards while they were at it. That only raised more questions than answers.

Minji looked at her bandaged hand. There was so much a cleric's healing spell could do, so although Handong was able to put the bones back into its place, the pain of it remained. If they wanted the hand to be fully healed, they would need a saint's magic. Sadly, Handong was not one, but it was rare for any of the members to break any bones, so it seemed unnecessary to make their cleric study to become a saint if she was hardly going to use any of the magic.

Sighing, she watched Moonbyul and her werewolf friend talk. Then after the werewolf went back to sleep, she decided it was best to go back to her group, before the brunette vampire spots her.

 



"Are we there yet?" Wheein whined from behind Hyejin.

"We've only been traveling for four hours now and you’re already whining?" Solar said annoyed. She loved the werewolf, but sometimes even she can get on the ex guard's nerves.

"I know, but this is sooooo boring."

"Then walk in your wolf form."

Wheein perked up at the sound of being able to not sit for another hour. "Really?"

Yongsun’s mood was lifted a bit at the werewolf’s dog-like behavior. "Of course. We're walking in the forest to avoid any passersby, so walk to your heart’s content."

"Yes! Hyejin stop the horse!"

Hyejin giggled at seeing how fast her friend's mood changed and stopped the horse. Wheein jumped off the horse as fast as she could and quickly transformed into her wolf's form. She howled excitedly and ran off in front of the group.

"Wheein, she said walk, not run!" Byulyi yelled as she followed the hyper wolf. The horses weren't nearly as fast as a hyper wolf, so they almost lost Wheein a couple of times if it wasn't for her constant howling, giving away her location.

"Wheein slow down," Hyejin said, hoping that would cause her best friend to slow down. However, it didn't do much with the wolf run even faster. Hyejin groaned and cursed under her breath as the three chased after her. "Wheein I swear to god when I catch you-!"

Hyejin was close behind Wheein, then all of a sudden the werewolf halted to a stop, along with the horses, causing Hyejin, Solar, and Byulyi to fly off and crashed onto the dirt. The sound of someone's bones cracking could be heard. The three groaned in pain as Wheein carefully walked up to them, to make sure none of her friends died on the crash. She then transformed back into her wolf form. "Are you guys okay?"

Hyejin tilted her head from the dirt and glared at her best friend. "Parts of my face is bleeding, you tell me."

Solar got up and brushed some of the dirt off her. "Other than my hands, everything else seems fine for some reason."

"That's because you landed on me." Byulyi weakly said. "I think you broke my whole body." The vampire tried to move but cried out in pain as every bone she moved made a loud cracking sound.

Yongsun along with the others winced. "I'm so sorry, Byul. Here let me help." She then tried to wrap her arms around the vampire's torso, but the vampire cried out in pain again as soon as the ex-guard touched her. "Okay, moving you doesn’t seem like a good idea. I’m so sorry Byul. Hyejin can’t you use your magic to heal her?”

 

"No, I can only do the healing kind. Mending bones is magic only used for the advanced cleric class, saint."

"The magic books tell you which magic you can use and which you cannot."

 

“Damn.” She sat next to Byul and looked at the vampire feeling guilty for hurting her. “I’m so sorry Byul.”

"It's not your fault Solar,” Hyejin reassured. “You wouldn't have broken every bone in Byul's body if SOMEONE didn't abruptly stop." The witch glared at the wolf next to her as she went to patch up her own face with bandages. "Why did you even stop?"

Wheein looked down in shame and if the woman had a tail, she would have seen it fall to the ground. "I'm sorry, but I saw a village."

"A what? We shouldn't be close to one until four days." Yongsun said as she looked around, finding the village Wheein was talking about. The village seemed to have walls around it. "I don't believe it. Byul I thought your map was the most updated version."

"It is. I think the village is new."

"I guess luck is on our side yet again. Maybe we can find a saint to heal Byul’s bones.” She stood up and looked at the witch who was still on the floor. “Hyejin, can you stand up or did you break your bones as well?"

"No, I think I can stand up." Hyejin tried to prove it but winced in pain trying to stand up.

"That’s enough, I think it’s best if you stay here and keep Byul company while Wheein and I get someone to treat her."

Hyejin sighed in relief and sat back down. "Sounds good."

"Let's go Wheein," Yongsun commanded and led them towards the village, but before they could even enter, they were stopped by a tall buff man.

"Who are you?" The man said with a very deep voice. Yongsun looked up to see the man's intimidating face and noticed that the man had blue hair and tail. As he towered over them, the ex-guard assumed that he was the same height as Jungkook.

Though the man tried to be intimidating, Yongsun wasn't having any of it. She needs Byulyi to get better, so they can go back on track to the next town. "My name is Solar, and my friend here is Wheein. We need a doctor for our friend who broke all her bones."

The man sniffed the air, then sniffed in their direction and that's when it hit Yongsun. This was probably a village filled with werewolves. "Your friend can go in, you, however, have to stay here or get lost."

"But-"

"But what? Only werewolves can enter through here.” The man growled.

The ex-guard sighed. "Fine." She then looked at Wheein who seemed to be scared at the thought of being by herself. "I know you're scared, but Byulyi needs you right now. Can you be brave for her?"

The werewolf hesitated. She hated being by herself, but seeing Byulyi in pain because of her, hurt her more. So, if she was the only one to get Byulyi helped, then she had to do it. After everything the vampire did for her, including last night, this was the one thing she could do for her. Wheein nodded in understanding which got the older woman to smile. Wheein walked inside the entrance of the village.

"Be safe," Yongsun yelled, hoping the wolf heard her. She then looked back at the blue-haired man who seemed puzzled by something. She wasn't going to ask the guy, but he seemed eager to ask.

"Where is your friend's tail?"
 




Wheein felt anxious. The village looked small from the outside, so she didn’t understand why the streets were filled with so many people. She jumped back as kids ran across her, chasing another child holding a ball and it made her remember the old days before she turned. The memory of Hyejin chasing her for the ball played in her mind and she couldn’t help but smile sadly at the past. She shook her head, “Stay focus Wheein. Byulyi needs you to find her a saint to fix her bones.”

Since Wheein was too busy with her thoughts, she wasn’t able to notice a blonde young woman lady staring right at her up close and screamed when she did.

"Woah, sorry for scaring you. I thought you already saw me." The woman looked around and noticed everyone staring at them. She quickly apologized to the crowd and pulled the woman to her side and walked off in a direction. "Can you not scream that loud, I don't want to get in trouble again."

Wheein was surprised by the side hug but didn't want to pull away as it would seem rude of her. "I'm sorry, you just scared me is all. Who are you?"

"Aww, all is forgiven since you're so cute. My name is Jimin, the next in line to lead this village. I know many of the wolves here, so I was surprised to see you and thought you needed some help. Also, did you know you have no tail?”

Rude or not, she needed to get out of this side hug “Yes, I do know I have no tail."

"How did that happen?”

 

Wheein looked away from the other wolf. “I rather not talk about.”

 

“Oh, sorry. Was it personal? I promise I wasn’t trying to be rude, sometimes my curiosity gets the better f me and make me insensitive. If you don’t want to talk about it it’s fine, just me and my big blabbermouth. Maybe that’s why I don’t have many friends, you know what ignore me. I’m rambling now, okay, I’ll shut up.” Jimin shut , but not even a minute later she spoke. “Wait, I didn’t get your name.”

 

The bleach blonde wolf sighed. “It’s Wheein. Look, I’m trying to find a saint, so it was nice knowing you, but I need to go.”

"Nice to meet you Wheein, I’m Jimin, wait I already said that. What was I trying to say? Oh yeah, I was trying to tell you that I heard you say that you needed to find a saint, so I took to the infirmary right here." Jimin pointed at the building that had a big red sign on top of it. "I doubt you know your way around here, so I wanted to help you out." She then pulled Wheein into another side hug as she took them both inside.

Wheein sighed as she was still stuck with the blonde wolf, but thought she wasn’t so bad since she helped her. She then wondered why the blonde wolf was helping her and decided to ask


"Oh, cause you looked anxious back there and needed some company, so being the future leader I am, went to help you out."

"I- thank you, for that." Wheein was surprised. Wheein was shown hostility for most of the places she visited and the few werewolves she did find, were cruel, evil, and selfish, with the three werewolves in the mercenary group chasing after her and her friends as the exception. Wheein felt like she hit the jackpot by not only finding a village full of wolves just like her but nice ones at that. Sure they treated Solar badly, but this was the first time she found an area that welcomed her and didn't want to kill her immediately because of what she was.

Jimin let her hold on the werewolf go and walked to the counter. "Hey, my friend here was trying to find a doctor and I wanted to know if you could help her with that."

"Sure, we could help you. What seems to be the problem with you miss?"

"Oh no, not me. My friend. She broke all her bones outside the village and needs some help."

"Oh, that does sound painful, let me go find our saint. You two wait right here." The nurse then went into the back.

The nurse soon came with the saint. The saint was an elderly woman, wrinkles could be seen all over her body, so Wheein was surprised she could still walk with a cane, most importantly be able to heal. "I am saint Hyoyoon and I want to ask one question before I decide to help your friend."

Wheein saw Jimin greeted the elder woman with a bow, so she did as well. "I will gladly answer your questions."

"Is your friend a werewolf as well?"

Wheein was confused as to why this old lady would ask her that. "Well, no. She's a vampire."

The nurse along with the Saint gasped. "I'm sorry, but I cannot help this friend of yours," Hyoyoon said as she tried to turn back and walk away.

"Wait, what? Why? Is it because you aren't strong enough to heal a vampire?"

The elder scoffed, taking offense to what Wheein had just told her. "No, I can put those devil's bones together, but I will not work on a vampire like her. Just wait it out, her bones will heal all together eventually."

"But we don't have time, she needs to be healed now. I don't understand why you won't help her."

"I already told you she is a vampire and all vampires are the devil and I will not heal a vampire. If you need a saint so bad, then go to the next village."

"But the next village is four days away and we can’t move her without cracking more of her bones."

"Tough luck then, now good day. I have more important patients to attend to." The elderly woman left, along with the nurse who seemed disgusted at Wheein.

Wheein sighed in defeat. Maybe her perfect world of a village of nice werewolves was too much to ask for. Sure they were nice to her, but what’s the use, if they aren’t nice to other people like Byulyi and Solar. She left the infirmary and made her way back to where Solar should be waiting for her.

"Hey, you didn't tell me your friend was a vampire," Jimin whispered, so it just Wheein could hear.

"You didn't ask."

"Okay, I guess that was on me. Really, with all the talking I do, I’m surprised I didn’t know about your friend is a vampire. If I knew, I wouldn’t have taken you to Hyoyoon. She’s an old saint that that's about anything. She's also long overdue. I can’t believe she’s still kicking."

"You’re talking a lot again."

 

“Oh, sorry.” Jimin sheepishly laughed then kept shut, but not for long. “Sorry, but I have a question. I heard you say that you don’t have time. Why is that? Or is that another personal thing and if so, I apologize.”

"No, you’re fine. That I can answer. We're running from a bunch of people."

"OooOOoooo, who?"

"I can't tell you, but I will say they are highly dangerous. Wait, why are you still following me after knowing my friend is a vampire? Aren't you disgusted?"

"Nah, believe it or not, this village used to be filled with vampires."

That piqued the young wolf’s curiosity. "What happened?"

"I don't really know much about it, but I heard that a vampire killed the werewolf leader, kidnapped three werewolves, and ran out of town with them."

"Do you know why the vampire did that?"

Jimin shook her head. "No one really knows, but the werewolves were furious at the action. So, they drove all the vampires out of the village. I wonder what happened to them?"


“Doesn’t that seem extreme to do because of one vampire’s actions?”


"That's what I thought too, but the new leader, my father, executed that plan and the other werewolves gladly followed it." Jimin sighed, remembering that terrible day and how those innocent people begged to stay as they were being dragged out of their homes. “I felt terrible, so I promised myself that when I become leader, I’ll ensure that werewolves, vampires, and maybe even humans can live here peacefully.”

Wheein smiled. "I hope that day will come. You would make a great leader." They finally reached the front entrance of the village. "Well, I guess this is where we part ways. Thank you for trying to help me."

"Hey, no problem. Sorry about our saint being an , but don’t think you’re gonna get rid of me that easily."

"What?" The werewolf suddenly heard her name being called and looked around to find Solar waving at her.

"Oh, your vampire friend seems all right now."

Wheein chuckled. "No, that's not my vampire friend. She's human.” She then turned her attention to the ex-guard in front of her. “ Hey, Solar I have some good news and some bad news. What do you want to hear first?"

"Give me the bad news first. Maybe the good news will cheer me up after it."

"Oh, well, the bad news is that they don't want to help Moonbyul because she's a vampire. The good news is that I found the saint."

"Maybe good news should have gone first. Doesn't matter, what do you mean the saint doesn't want to help Byul because she’s a vampire? I thought the person next to you was the saint?”

Wheein looked at Jimin, then back at her friend. "No, that's Jimin. She went to help me find the saint and it's a long story about some hatred between the two species."

"Great, now how are we going to help her?" Yongsun sighed in defeat, then looked at Jimin with a smile. “Thank you, Jimin for keeping Wheein company and helping her find the saint.”

 

“You’re welcome ma’am, always happy to help anyone in need.”

"I guess we have no choice but to wait it out. It's a good thing she drank blood beforehand or else, she wouldn't be healing at all."

Yongsun groaned. "But we can't wait that long. We'll be sitting ducks to all the people who are after us."

Wheein looked down in shame and apologized. "I’m sorry. If I didn't go running too far and stop suddenly, then maybe Byulyi wouldn't have broken her bones to save your fall."

the ex-guard pet the top of Wheein's head. "No, it's not your fault. We didn't know there was a village nearby, so don't blame yourself for it. I bet Moonbyul wouldn't blame you, now let's go back and give the other two the bad news."

“Wait, you have another person? How many friends do you have?” Jimin said as she walked up to the two. She turned back however to say goodbye to the guard. "Bye Gunhak.” The tall man waved.
 

“It’s just the four of us. Solar is the human in front of us, Moonbyul is the injured vampire, and my best friend, Hwasa is a human witch.”


“Oh wow, I have never met a human or a human with any magical abilities before. My father told me all humans were bad, so I’m surprised that Solar is nice. Then again my father said every species except werewolves are superior.”

 

“Does your new friend talk this much?” Yongsun asked.

 

Jimin realizing she was rambling again, apologized and kept quiet for the remainder of the way back. The three then made their way to Hyejin and Byulyi but were surprised to find the two not alone.

“Oh, you guys finally came. I was starting to think that maybe those werewolves wanted to have you guys as their next meal." The red-hair vampire, Minji spoke.
 



Jimin groaned loudly as he laid face first on the counter. "I felt like we checked everywhere around this kingdom, so why haven't we found them yet?"

"I bet, they somehow found a way to escape," Taehyung suggested as he took a sip from his water.

"But how? The wall had no cracks and the only exit is filled with guards."

Daeho rolled his eyes. "It's pretty obvious that we have some bad guards around here that don't do their jobs. Someone probably paid them to not check their cart and got those four criminals out."

Jimin’s fist tightened at the thought of someone making their job harder. "Damn it, I'll kill the bastard that did it." Jimin hated those lazy goods for nothing. Those people only became guards to just have the benefits and protection instead of helping the people in need. "Do you have any clue how long it's going to take to find them? They could have gone to any of the other kingdoms and are probably ahead of us by a whole week."

Eric listened in to the conversation but didn't contribute much as he knew those four were long gone. He may not know where they were heading, but that was good. He didn't care if he was looking around the kingdom for another week or month, as long as it meant it would give them more time to find the guilty party who actually committed the crime.

"I might have a way on how you could track them." The five guards looked at the man who said it and was surprised to see Jin.

"How could you possibly help us?" Taehyung asked.

"Well, two of the so-called criminals slept here a couple of days ago and I didn't let anyone stay in there, so their scent is probably still in there. Taehyung could use his sniffer to track them."

"That’s... actually helpful. Thanks, Jin, but why tell us this info now when it would have been useful before?" Jimin asked next.

"I thought you guys would be able to find them without it, so I didn't tell you. But with it being a week and no luck, I think the scent would come in handy more than ever now."

The young guard rolled his eyes and stood up. "I still wished you would have told us sooner, but that's alright. You heard the man Tae, go up there and get those women's scent to help us find them."

Taehyung raised an eyebrow. "Now? But it's night?"

"Who cares if it's night or not. We're a week behind them, so we have to catch up as soon as possible."

The werewolf groaned as he stood up, took the key Jin handed him, and made his way up to the room.

"Thank you Jin," Jimin said as he looked at the bartender with a tender smile. "I was beginning to lose faith, but maybe now I will have a chance to avenge my brother."

Jin looked at the second in command in sympathy. "Yeah, no problem." He then went back to attend the other customers as a way to not look at his friend's face and not feel guilty. After all, he was the one who helped the four escaped. He just hoped the four had enough time to find the ones at fault.

Who knew being a bartender was going to be filled with this much baggage and secrets?

 

 


 

 

Byulyi I'm sorry, I need you to get hurt for the plot :(

 

The new character Jimin is based on Wheein's friend. I don't know if it's her actual name, I just remember seeing it somewhere on twitter. If you're still wondering who this Jimin person is, it's the woman Wheein has a matching tattoo with and went to the beach with. I think if you go to Wheein's Instagram, you'll find her.

 

Anyway, stay safe as always and I'll see you guys in the next chapter. Also heard Sua's birthday is today (tomorrow for us in the US) so happy birthday to her :D