Chapter 12: Switcheroo

Clearing Our Names

-Trigger warning for the feeling of "death" I'm not sure if it's that triggering (hence why I didn't put the tw thing in case, but I will if someone does tell me to), but I just want to be able to put it up just in case-

 

Byulyi closed the door after pushing the Yong sisters into the room. Wiping her hands for a job well done, and leaned against the wall near the door. A few minutes had passed without the older woman coming out and lecturing her for what she did, so she assumed she was enjoying her catch up. Some more time went by and she was starting to wonder how long the two would take until the sound of a door opening caught her attention.

 

She looked to her left to still see room two’s door still closed. She looked farther down to see that the sound came from the last door on the right side. The figure coming out of the door looked familiar, so she squinted to take a closer look. She then realized that it was one of the king's men, Jimin, if she could remember. The two made eye contact, and she quickly looked away. She didn't know if they were good after saving him or if they were still after them.

 

The man was walking her way and as much as she told herself it was because he needed to go down the stairs, her thoughts kept thinking that he knew exactly who she was and he was going to arrest her. She was panicking now. In the end, good or not, she didn't want to take the chance and ran. Sure, she could run into the eldest Yong’s room, but then they would be cornered if he wasn’t alone. Running was the best option as it would also get Yongsun to get away and alert the younger two, so they can save her like last time. As she sprinted down the stairs, the sudden action surprised Jimin. He didn’t know if he should go after them but had a gut feeling he should, so he chased after them. "Hey!"

 

Byulyi ran down the stairs and made her way out the tavern doors. She then bumped into someone and quickly apologized awhile, quickly turned into an alleyway to try to lose Jimin. But to no avail, as he was still on her tail and shortening the distance between them. As she ran, she noticed an open alley to her right and ran into it, but that turned out to be a mistake, as it only led her to a dead end. She tried to turn back, but Jimin was already standing at the other end.

 

"No, where to go," Jimin spoke as he pulled out his sword.

 

Byulyi groaned as she pulled out her dagger. "Can't you just let me go just this once after saving your life?"

 

Jimin perked up. He recognized that voice. "Moonbyul?"

 

Seeing the guard's reaction surprised her. "Wait? Are you saying, you didn't know it was me?"

 

"Yeah. I thought you were just some random person."

 

The vampire sighed in relief as she placed her dagger inside her cloak. "So, you're not going to attack me?"

 

"Of course not." Jimin then sheathed his weapon. "After all, you saved me."

 

"So Solar was right that you’re on our side," Byulyi confirmed. More to herself than Jimin. She was about to sheath her own dagger, but looking up, she noticed someone standing behind the knight. "Hey, who are you?"

 

Jimin looked back to see who the vampire was talking to, and they soon realized it was the person Moonbyul had bumped into during their chase. The vampire had lowered her weapon. “Oh, it’s you. Sorry about bumping into you earlier.”

 

"Oh, it’s all good. After all, it made my job finding you much easier." Suddenly, the person’s body began to change. Jimin and Byulyi took a few steps back as they readied their weapons. Knowing full well who this person was now. Standing before them now was a knight Jimin knew very well.

 

"Well, you thought wrong." Jimin hissed. "Now, stop being him."

 

The shifter smirked as they looked at how shaken the knight was. "And lose the advantage of you hurting me? I don't think so."

 

Suddenly, they pulled out their sword and lunged forward. Jimin was able to block it and push them. He then swung his sword and cut at their side, causing the person to cry out in pain, which threw off Jimin. They may not be his brother, but they looked and sounded just like him. He was too shocked at what he had done that he wasn't able to react fast enough when the shifter swung their blade.

 

However, Byulyi was able to save his head from being cut as she pulled him towards herself. "Hey, stay focused. Remember, they aren't him."

 

"But he looks just like my brother."

 

"He isn't."

 

The shifter then swung at them again, and Byulyi shoved the both of them away from the attack and jabbed their blade into the back of the shifter's leg. As they cried out, Jimin grabs a hold of the vampire. "Stop it!"

 

"They aren't who you think they are." Byulyi then shoved his hand away. "If you aren't going to be useful in this fight, then leave! Go get some help, while I distract them."

 

She didn't say it, but he knew she was calling him a coward. And he knew she was right, cause he knew his brother was dead but was still stopping her from attacking this faker. He was useless in this fight and would only get in Moonbyul's way. He had no choice but to listen. "Fine, but don't be dead when I come back."

 

"Can't keep any promises." The vampire then went to shove Jimin as she then went to block another incoming blade. "Now go!"

 

Jimin took that as a sign and sprinted off. He ran as fast as he could, hoping to be able to make it to his friends in time and ensure Moonbyul doesn't share the same fate as his brother.

 

 

The shifter saw Jimin leave and cursed. "Damn, I let someone go." They then shoved their blade, pushing the vampire back just a bit, to pull out the blade in their leg to stab Moonbyul's side, causing her to scream out in pain. "Oh well, doesn't matter now, since you're the one I need to kill."

 

Byulyi winced when the blade was pushed in further. She grabbed hold of the shifter's hand and, with all her force, head-butted the bastard in the nose. The blade was pulled out, leading her to scream out in pain again, but the shifter was now also crying out as they held onto their broken nose.

 

They laughed a bit as they pushed it back into place. They soon shifted into another form. One Moonbyul was close to, but she's not foolish enough to think they were them. "You're really going to regret that."

 

Byulyi smirked as she looked into what was supposed to be Yongsun's eyes. Strengthening her grip on her blade. "No. I don't think I will."

 


 

"So, you care to tell me what happened that day when the four criminals escaped?" The king spoke as he moved next to the door.

 

Namjoon looked down at his hands, deciding what to do. He was the king’s best soldier, so there was a possibility that the king would not punish him as harshly or execute him on the spot if he spoke the entire truth. "A guard knocked me out." He finally said. Which wasn't as far from the truth as it did happen.

 

The king scoffed. "Seems like they did more than just knock you out. But I want to know why you were there. Especially, since it was after our brief fight over Solar’s innocence.”

 

“She’s a good soldier.”

 

“So were the soldiers who are now dead by her hands.”

 

“It wasn’t her, sir!” The king was taken back. Few stood up to him as they feared to be executed, but not Namjoon. That was part of the reason why he made him his first command. “Solar would never harm her own brothers. She fought hard to earn their respect to throw it away for some measly coins. It also can’t be the other three with her since Solar’s smart enough to know who’s on the right side or not.”

 

“So, you’re telling me, you did let them go?” Namjoon stayed silent, but that only confirmed the king's suspicions. He felt betrayed. "You used to be my most loyal and strongest knight, Namjoon, and I would hate to see such a knight be executed. Especially in front of his own sister."

 

Namjoon froze. “Don’t you dare hurt her.”

 

“I wasn’t planning on it, but I might change my mind if you don’t tell me how it was a mistake to let those four go.” The knight stayed silent, which only angered the king more. He slammed his fist against the wall. “SAY IT OR ELSE I’LL KILL YOU BOTH!”

 

Namjoon looked up at the king. It was as if time slowed down a bit as he looked into fiery eyes. When most people see those eyes, they become scared, hopeful, or disgusted. Namjoon felt hate. He used to look up to the king. See the king as a kind of god, but he sees him for who he really is. A boy with an ego, who doesn’t listen to anyone, but himself and kills anyone that disagrees with him. He’s no god. He’s no king. He’s a child, given a title that doesn’t belong to him.

 

“I don’t regret doing the right thing.”

 

The king was fuming. “Your selfishness will bring death to you and your sister!”

 

Suddenly, the door was slammed open. Hitting the king at full force and knocking him out instantly. “I heard yelling,” Yoongi said. As he looked into the room, to only see Namjoon. “Where’d the king go?” Namjoon pointed at the door. Yoongi pulled on the door to see the king behind it. “Oh shoot, I knocked him out.”

 

“I expected that from Seokjin.”

 

“Me too.” The bartender agreed. “I think we should get going before he wakes up and gets us all executed.” The two rushed over and pulled Namjoon up and wrapped his arms around their shoulders.

 

“Wait, before we go, we need to get my sister. The king plans to execute her as well.”

 

“That’s really random of him but okay.” The three of them then left the unconscious king as they made their way to the horse stables.

 

“I think this is a good time as any to have a vacation, don’t you think?” Seokjin suggested as he lifted Namjoon up onto the horse.

 

The other two agreed. "Let’s also invite Hoseok too,” Namjoon asked.

 

“Sure thing, but where on earth do we go?” Yoongi asked, while he finally got on his horse.

 

Seokjin thought about it for a moment as they exited the stables and made their way into the city. “There’s this place called Rainbow island. Very nice place to vacation, since it has a beach that creates a rainbow from time to time.”

 

“Oh, that does sound nice. Let’s go take the docks nearby.”

 

The other two agreed but first needed to go collect their things and warn Namjoon's sister.

 


-This part is skippable if you don't want the description of someone dying. Promise you won't miss anything :)

 

“Thanks for the cloak.” The shifter spoke after she laughed.

 

Byulyi laid on the ground. A pool of her own blood, as she watched the shifter, who now shifted into her, wrap her cloak around her body, and walked away. She tried to get back up but was only able to move herself to lean against the wall before collapsing again. Finding it useless to move, she laid her head. As her consciousness began to slip, she started to wonder if this was how Seoyeon felt during her last moments. Then again, she was killed with a stake and perished immediately, while she got stabbed and cut multiple times and is still breathing. Slow, but breathing, nonetheless.

 

Her mind wandered some more, and she wondered if Solar left the room to see her gone. Wondered if she called out to her, worried that something bad happened to her. Wondered if she blamed herself for her disappearance. She closed her eyes as they became heavy. She then heard the faintest of voices as they became louder and louder. However, she couldn’t make sense of what they were saying. Thinking it was Yongsun, she gathered all her strength to say words, she couldn’t hear herself, but she knew what she said before succumbing to the darkness surrounding her.

 

-We should be good now-

 

Jimin rushed into his shared room with Taehyung to see the werewolf was waiting patiently at the table for the food Jimin promised to get. As the door was slammed open, Taehyung looked up, happy to finally get something in his belly, but that quickly changed when he saw his comrade and best friend covered in what could be blood. The younger of the two rushed over to Jimin. "What happened? Are you okay? Who's blood is that?" He quickly asked as he tried to search for the source of where the blood came from.

 

"I-I'm fine,” Jimin reassured as he went to grab a piece of bandage on the table. “This isn't my blood."

 

“What? Then who’s blood is this?”

 

“It was the blood from the vampire on Solar’s group. Moonbyul.”

 

“Now that just adds more questions? I mean, I thought we weren’t supposed to kill them? They even saved us, you especially, from the two who actually killed your brother.”

 

“I wasn’t the one who attacked her. The shifter did it and Moonbyul stayed back to fight them, while I went to look for help.” He then took the werewolf’s hand and rushed them out the door. “And by how long we’ve been talking, I worry the fight ended.”

 


 

Eric and Jungkook had decided to end their day of searching for any sign of the four women as they both came to the conclusion that they had left. The two made their way to an alleyway they knew would lead them back to the tavern much faster than if they went around. The two knew to always be prepared to defend themselves in case anyone wanted to jump them, so they made sure to check every alleyway beside them. Luckily for them, there were only two alleyways.

 

Eric checked the first alley and sighed to find nothing but trash and away leading to another way out. Jungkook went to check the last alley. With a hand on the hilt of his blade, he carefully walked up to the area and looked into it to be frozen at what he saw. Eric was puzzled about what caused the rookie to be stunned, so he made his way, but heard running in their direction and pulled out his blade as he looked up. To see both Taehyung and Jimin. “What are you guys doing here?” He then took notice of the blood on Jimin’s clothes. “What happened?”

 

Jungkook finally snapped out of it and looked over at the other two. He saw the blood on Jimin and pointed towards the alley. “Don’t tell me you did this.”

 

The other three, curious about what he was pointing at, looked in to be shocked at what they saw. There was a lot of blood splattered all over the walls and grounds. A small pool of blood with a long streak led them to who all the blood belonged to. Body leaning against the alley walls was a vampire on the brink of death. “Moonbyul!” Jimin yelled as he rushed over to the vampire. As he reached her, he noticed how pale she was, a lot paler than how a vampire normally is. He rolled up his sleeve and put it up against the vampire’s mouth. “It’s going to be alright, just take a drink and you’ll be fine.” However, the vampire didn’t seem to move at all. He thought he was too late, but was only given hope when she faintly said, “I love you Yong… I’m sorry.”

 

The knight was at first shocked by what he heard but quickly dismissed it, as it wasn’t meant for him. He then opened her eyelid to stare into a brown orb that didn’t seem to have faded, and he sighed in relief.

 

“Why are you sighing?” Jungkook asked. Not as horrified by what his friend could have done. Turned out, it was because, while Jimin made his way to the vampire, Taehyung filled them in on what he knew about the situation.

 

“I’m sighing because she’s not dead. Just passed out from the loss of blood.”

 

“Really?” Eric questioned as he looked at the many bloodstains around them.

 

“Yeah. Her eye didn’t lose the color in them. Seems like they had no idea she was a vampire.”

 

“But how do we know it’s the vampire and not the shifter?” Jungkook asked.

 

“Well, if she’s unconscious or dead, shifters revert to their original form,” Taehyung spoke as he walked up to the body and opened her eyelid to see her eye still brown. “Also, the shifter’s eye color is red, not brown.”

 

“Then how do you explain her cloak missing?”

 

“I think the shifter took it, to make herself more believable to the other three,” Eric answered.

 

“What should we do? We can’t bring her back to the room.” Taehyung said.

 

“We can’t bring her back to her friends, since we don’t know where they are or going,” Jungkook spoke.

 

Jimin cursed under his breath as he pulled out bandages. “First, we bandage the vampire up. If we care for the wounds fast enough, maybe she'll wake up too.” He stood up and threw it at Eric, who caught it. “You do that, while Jungkook and Taehyung get the horses and buy something to place the vampire in. I’ll go back to the room and grab anything that is important.”

 

“Wait, why am I left doing doctor duties?”

 

“Cause I trust you.” That was the only thing Jimin said, as the three left to do what they were assigned. Eric huffed out in frustration as he pulled out the wrap.

 


 

Hyejin glared at the woman in front of her as she stared back quizzically. However, the puzzling expression soon turned smug. "Like, what you see?" Byulyi said, which made the witch scoffed.

 

"Of course not." At least she still behaved the same.

 

The two then stayed silent as they stared at each other. Wheesun, who are on the side watching, were feeling uncomfortable and decided to try and distract the two. Wheein went to her best friend’s side and tapped her shoulder until she got her attention. “Can, you help replace my bandage?”

 

Hyejin looked at Wheein, then back at the smug vampire. “Fine.” The werewolf handed her the bandages, and she started to cut the old ones with her magic.

 

While the witch was busy changing Wheein’s bandages, Solar decided to talk to Byulyi. “So, you want to tell me where you were while I was talking to my sister?”

 

 “And what happened when you were being chased by one of the king’s men,” Hyejin added.

 

“And how did you know about that?”

 

“I’m a witch. I used magic to know, or did you forget?”

 

The vampire chuckled. “Of course, I know you’re a witch. Just didn’t think you could do that. Anyway, sure, I’ll tell you guys what happened. I was just waiting for you, of course, and then the bastard started running at me, so I ran too. Went to try and lose him. Took a while, but I lost him eventually and came back to you guys.”

 

“You didn’t go back?”

 

“Of course not. If I saw one of them, I might run into more of them. I didn’t want to risk it, so I went back instead.”

 

“What if I ran into them?”

 

“Well, you didn’t, since you seem fine, but I hope you can forgive me.”

 

The ex-guard glared at the vampire. Byulyi seems to be acting like her old self. She was about to say something but was cut off. “Finished,” Hyejin said as she wrapped the last wrap around the shoulder Wheein was shot in.

 

“Can’t believe you still survived getting shot with a silver bullet.” Byulyi decided to change the subject.

 

“Yeah.” Wheein looked at the new bandages. “If you hadn’t pulled out the bullet as fast as you did, I think I would have died back there, so thanks for that.”

 

“No problem.” Yongsun noticed Byulyi’s hand balling into a fist as she said that. As if she was angry, she saved Wheein’s life.

 

“Makes me realize, that we got hurt a lot during these past few weeks.”

 

“Yeah, except I think you were the only one I think didn’t get hurt,” Yongsun spoke.

 

“I guess nature fears me to try,” Hyejin said, with a flip of her hair.

 

“Or maybe it’s trying to hurt you in a different way,” Byulyi added.

 

“Yeah, you were crying a lot when I got hit.”

 

“That’s because I thought you were going to die, of course. How else am I supposed to react if my best friend was dying in my arms?”

 

“I guess you’re right,” Wheein spoke. “Talking about getting hurt, I think Byulyi was the one that got hurt the most.”

 

“Yeah," Solar agreed. "Like the time she got injured fighting Yoohyeon, Bora, and Minji while she was cursed.”

 

“Or that time she got captured by them.”

 

“And the icing on the cake when she broke all her bones because I accidentally stopped in front of her horse,” Wheein added as she sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck, remembering the incident.

 

“It was a good thing you were a vampire or else you might have died.”

 

“Or Han’s healing, or else, you would’ve still been injured right now,” Hyejin added.

 

“Yeah.” Yongsun noticed the vampire’s fist become tighter, but didn't understand why.

 

After chatting some more, they soon called it a night. And while the three slept, the shifter decided to leave to a spot not too far from their own camp, where Enzo was waiting for her. Once he noticed who it was, he sheathed his sword. “Is it time?”

 

"No, not tonight. I think they're onto me."

 

"What makes you think that?"

 

"Turns out the person I thought I killed was a vampire."

 

"You're telling me, you didn't use a stake?" Enzo roared. "How did you not know? She was pale!"

 

"I thought she was pale because of the blood loss and lack of sun by how much she wears this cloak."

 

"Great. The one person we thought we got rid of is actually not dead."

 

"Hey, it's alright we- " Suddenly the shapeshifter was grabbed by the collar.

 

"If you just did what you were told, we would've gotten rid of these four a long time ago!"

 

"And if we did what you wanted in the first place, we would've had to break into the vault again."

 

"I think that would have been easier than what we're doing right now."

 

"What? Scared of four women?"

 

That seemed to have angered Enzo as he dropped the shifter and pull out his blade. "Of course not. I'm only doing this because you said this was the better option. Now I'm starting to see it was a mistake. Do you at least have the gem?"

 

"Let's see." The shifter looked into the cloak but was only able to pull out a dagger, a torn map, and a small pouch full of coins. "Ummm, I think one of the three has the gem."

 

"Then go get it."

 

"I can't just ask for it. They're onto me and I don't think they know how special it is yet."

 

Enzo yelled as he threw his blade at a tree. "We have been playing your game for the past three weeks now and failed to kill our target and getting the gem." He walked up to the sword and pulled it out. "We'll play your game one last time and when it fails, which it will, we're going to go do things my way. Maybe then, we'll finally get something done."

 

"Got it. Last time we do things my way."

 

"Good, now go back to your little role-playing before they wake up and realize you 're gone."

 

"Yeah, yeah." The shapeshifter adjusted herself before making her way back to the other three, who she knew were none the wiser of her disappearance.

 

Or so she thought.

 

 

 

 

 


HI! Sorry for the long wait again. April was a terrible month, and I lost a lot of motivation because of it. I was about to send it like weeks before, before, but found holes in the plot and decided to rewrite until I got this, which I'm much happier about :)

 

Anywho... I hope you guys are all okay and safe as always, and let's hope I'm able to post the next chapter faster than this was, but one can only hope.

ALSO MAMAMOO'S COMEBACK ON JUNE 2ND AND I'M SUPER EXCITED!!!