Chapter 8: Seeing Double

Clearing Our Names

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" Yongsun yelled as she pulled out her sword.

Minji held up her arms in surrender. "Woah, there's no need to be so hostile. Your friend here looked like they needed a healer, so we got ours to help her out. Sure, she still feels the pain from the bone-breaking, but at least her bones are back in one piece, so she'll be able to heal back in shape quickly."

Yongsun looked at the two, who seemed much better than they did the last time she saw them, with the wounds on Hyejin's face gone and Byulyi leaning against a tree smiling at the ex guard as she tried to give her a thumbs up. "It's fine Solar, they seem a lot nicer than the last time."

Yongsun smiled and sheathed her sword. "So it seems." She then looked at the red-haired vampire in front of her. "So why did you decide to help us? Last time I remember, you tried to kill Moonbyul."

"Well Yoohyeon was the one trying to kill your friend, but we don't need to talk about that, you saved her along with me and Sua's, so I thought I'd repay the favor with helping you four out."

Yongsun was surprised by that answer. "Oh, thank you. You're not like other mercenaries."

"And you're not like other criminals with a big bounty."

"Mercenaries? Criminals?" Jimin questioned. "Wheein, what on earth are they talking about? And I thought it was just the four of you?"

"Oh, there are four of us, the other seven are the dangerous people after us."

The blonde werewolf tilted her head. "But, they don't look like they're after you."

"That's something I'm confused about too." Wheein wondered what Dreamcatcher's motives were since the last time they met, Sandeul's house was caught on fire. She was so lost in thought, she didn't notice Hyejin standing beside her, so she got surprised when she felt arms wrap around her waist. "Oh my god Hwasa, you scared me."

"Sorry, I was feeling clingy. So did you and Solar find anything else other than a new... friend?" Hyejin glared at Jimin and the blonde werewolf took a step back from the two.

"I couldn't really go in. The village only allows werewolves." Solar replied as she crossed her arms, annoyed.

"And the only thing I found was a very rude saint who didn't want to heal Moonbyul because she was a vampire."

Siyeon raised an eyebrow. "Really? I thought that village had vampire occupants?"

"They used to until a vampire killed the werewolf leader and kidnap three werewolves."

Minji scoffed. "How could those wolves immediately hate vampires because some teenage vampire decides to take matters into her own hands?"

Jimin squinted her eyes in suspicion. "How do you know the vampire was female and a teenager?"

Minji's eyes widened at what she just said. "I... didn't you say she was a teenager?"

"I didn't." Jimin eyed the red-haired vampire. "And this village's history along with its existence is well kept from the public."

"Wait, I thought it was new?" Byulyi questioned, and Minji sighed in relief at the change of subject.

"Nope. Our village has been around for forty years and we keep it at that, by killing anyone who tries to document our village."

"Why is that?"

"Isn't it obvious? It's a village full of werewolves. Humans would all gather and stop killing each other to burn this place to the ground along with the people inside."

"So that explains why your map didn't document this village," Solar exclaimed. "It wasn't because it was new, they just need to be kept secret."

"That's understandable."

"Speaking of the village, I should get home before it gets dark. My father would get upset if I come home late again."

"Oh, I'll come with you."

"So will I."

The three then left towards the village, leaving Solar and Byulyi with Dreamcatcher. Solar took a seat next to Byul to make sure the vampire was fine and to keep her close in case the seven were to attack them. Wheein, Hyejin, and Jimin chatted as they walked to the village, making them oblivious to the two figures following them from a top of the trees.

Blood-red eyes watched as they laughed, and she couldn't wait to wipe that smile off their faces until she noticed something from a distance that caught her attention. "Hey look Enzo," Raven spoke as she pointed to a village. She smirked as she got an idea."Would be a shame if it caught on fire?"

Enzo smirked, knowing what his partner had planned. "Sure would."

 


 

Once Hyejin, Wheein, and her new friend were far enough away, Byulyi found it a good time to ask some important questions. "Now that the village werewolf left, mind telling us if you were the vampire who killed the village's leader?"

Minji sighed. "Fine." If she wanted their trust, she'd have to open up about herself too. "I was the vampire, but I had a good reason to."

"Care to explain?"

Minji looked at Yoohyeon, who gave her a small nod to go on. "I was thirteen and while I went to visit my friend, I overheard her of a father planning to get rid of the vampires from the village, but wanted to kill innocent werewolves in order to do so." Her hands clenched into fists as her blood boiled at what she was about to say. "He then said that he'll kill his daughter and blame it on her friend, me, and I... snapped." 

Her voice trembled as she relived that moment. Yoohyeon noticed and held onto her hand to calm her leader, which seemed to have worked at Minji started to calm down before she kept going. "I don't really remember what happened after that, but when I came to, I was covered in his blood."

Byulyi was angry, but not at the other vampire. She was lucky to grow up with loving parents, but she knew not everyone was as lucky as her and it angered her knowing there were parents out in the world who would hate on their child for who they were. She couldn't comprehend why people like that would have children in the first place. "Why would he want to kill his daughter?"

"Cause my father loved my younger brother and wanted him to lead the village, but knew he couldn't if I was still alive," Yoohyeon explained, which shocked the other two. "He said a woman couldn't possibly lead the village without making many mistakes."

Solar scoffed as she despised those men and ever wondered how such creatures could ever procreate. "Sounds like the guy got what he deserved, so why run?" 

Minji looked down at her feet. "I... I was scared. It was the first time I ever took a life, and I scared to face the consequences, so I ran away."

"And me, Siyeon, and Yoohyeon followed Minji cause she was our friend, and we weren't going to let her be out there by herself," Bora said as she went to place a comforting hand on Minji's shoulder.

Minji chuckled. "I'm thankful that you came with. However, it seems like I got accused of kidnapping you three, like how you guys were accused of murdering three guards."

"Seems like people have a knack for accusing people of things they didn't do."

"More like you guys have a habit of being at the wrong place at the wrong time and doing dumb things that make people assume the worst in you," Handong spoke, which got her looks. "What? There is no lie in what I said."

"You're right. I just wished you didn't say it." Minji spoke as she put a hand to her heart to look hurt by the cleric's words.

Everyone laughed and seemed to be getting along, but all good things must come to an end. As the laughed died down, something caught Siyeon's attention as the blue-haired wolf sniffed the air. "Do you guys smell that?"

Bora sniffed the air. "Smells like smoke."

"Uh, that's because the village over there is on fire," Byulyi spoke as she pointed to the glowing red, orange, and yellow light from afar.

"," Solar yelled as she stood up. "Wheein and Hwasa haven't come back yet, they must be in there." She then ran towards the burning village, ignoring her name being called out from behind.

Byul sighed as she watched the ex-guard ignore her calls as she ran towards the village. The vampire got up herself and went to follow the ex guard.

Handong was surprised by Byulyi's actions and tried to stop her. "Wait, you have to stay. Your wounds shouldn't be healed yet."

However, Byulyi was fast and easily escaped the cleric's grasp on her. "They're healed enough!"

The cleric sighed at Moonbyul's response, though she didn't understand why she would care for the vampire. Maybe it was her healer instinct to care for others or fearing the vampire would injure herself again, but either way, she knew she would have to tend to Moonbyul's wounds again and possibly the other members.

Yubin saw Moonbyul run away and raised an eyebrow as she looked at Minji. "You're not going after them? What if they run away once they save their two friends?"

"No, I trust they can take care of themselves, and besides," Minji then pointed at two horses drinking from a lake. "I don't think they'll be going anywhere without those."

 


 

Yongsun ran towards the village but stopped when she saw many people sitting on the outskirts. Many people injured with some crying out in pain as they placed ointment onto their burned flesh.

"Solar wait up!" She heard a familiar voice say and turned back to find Byul.

"You shouldn't have followed me. What about your wounds?"

"Don't worry about my wounds, but are you sure we should find them? The place might be huge and they could be anywhere."

"I can find them."

Byulyi placed both her hands on the older woman's shoulder. "Solar, the village is on fire. What if when we go in and search for them, they come out and we burn to a crisp trying to find them?"

"That's a risk I'm willing to take." Yongsun shoved Byulyi's hand off her. "I can't forgive myself if anything happens to them."

Byulyi groaned. Finding Solar's need to be heroic annoying right now. She was about to argue with the ex guard when their name was called out. The two looked over to find Jimin running towards them.

"Thank god I found you two. When the fire started, Wheein tried to get me out, but someone attacked her, and I tried to fight, but my dad found me and took me away before I could help her. Once I got out of the village, I told Hwasa, and she went in to help, but it's been so long since then and the two haven't come out yet. You have to save them."

Solar looked at Byulyi with a -eating grin and Byulyi wanted nothing more than to slap her. "We were planning to save them from the start. Do you know where they are?" Yongsun asked.

"Yes, if you keep going forward, there should be a bakery in the corner. They should be there."

The two thanked the blonde werewolf, then ran towards the burning village. As they entered, Solar suddenly felt like she had lived through this before, with the fire and screaming for help. It was all too familiar but pushed the memory away as she needed to focus on finding Hyejin and Wheein. Running towards the direction Jimin had told them the two should be, to find nothing but the burning bakery.

"They're not here. Now what?" Byulyi coughed. The smoke making it hard to breathe.

"They have to be nearby." Suddenly, Solar heard her name being called by a familiar voice. "Wheein?" She said and ran to where the sound was coming from.

"Solar!" Byulyi coughed and went to follow the ex guard, but it proved to be difficult with the smoke and soon lost her in the flames that separated them. ", got to find another way." She then went into another alleyway in hopes to reconvene with the ex-guard and potentially the other two.

"Solar!" The familiar voice cried out again.

Yongsun coughed, the smoke making it difficult to breathe and run, but kept running to save her friends. "Wheein, Hyejin, I'm coming." However, she was frozen in place once she finally found her two friends.

Both Wheein and Hyejin were on the floor unconscious, with someone with the same face as Wheein stood before them. Suddenly it felt all too familiar to Solar and she felt seven again. Her parents laid on the floor unconscious, with her dad surrounded in his own pool of blood. The person before her had the same face and voice like her mom, but she knew it wasn't her by her eyes. Blood red replaced soft brown and the sinister smile staring right at her soul.

It was the past was repeating itself all over again, except this time she'll have a chance to save them.

The familiar face looked at her with a soft smile. "Solar," she spoke. Yongsun looked back at the fake Wheein with a terrified expression. The impersonator sadistically laughed, Wheein's voice distorting into Hwasa's as the person changed. "There you are." The person, impersonating Hwasa now, laughed as she charged at her. 

Solar was still in shock that she wasn't able to react fast enough and got slashed on her side. The ex guard screamed in pain as she took a few steps back. Pulling out her sword to try and strike, but couldn't when the attacker looked and sound like her friend. She struck at the person, but Hyejin's scream in pain horrified her and she took another cut to the arm. Solar kneeled down, the many cuts on her body making her exhausted.

The Hwasa imposter chuckled as she used the tip of her dagger to lift Solar's chin. "You look awfully familiar, but I don't remember." She paused, thinking about where she met the familiar face until it hit her and she smiled. "Now I remember. What was your name again? Yonghee? No, that's your sister's name. Yong... sun." her smile turned sadistic. "Yongsun. Now I remember. You were the one that let us in your village."

Yongsun's eyes widened in horror as the memories she tried so hard to forget, resurfaced.

"That's the expression I was looking for. Hmm, now how should I kill you? Should I do it with this person?" Suddenly the body became Wheein's "Or maybe this one?" She then changed again and for a second Yongsun thought she couldn't breathe. "How about this one?" The person, now looking a lot like Byulyi, asked. The smile she adored so much now, sinister and psychotic. She knew it wasn't Byulyi, but the thought of it being real, hurt her heart so much, that tears started to form. "This one it is." The impersonator then raised her sword to strike one last time.

"Get away from her!" A voice yelled out. Suddenly the fake Hwasa cried out in pain as she fell to the ground unconscious. "Solar, are you all right?" Byulyi said as she placed both her hands on the older woman's shoulder, seeing the slash marks that ran across her body and the tears flowing down her face. Wiping the tears off with her thumb, the vampire tried calling out to Solar, but nothing seemed to have gotten her attention like she was under some spell. "Yongsun wake up!" Byulyi yelled out this time, which seemed to have finally gotten the Yongsun's attention.

"Huh, what?" Yongsun looked around, confused. Wiping the tears away fast to compose herself.

"Are you okay?" Byulyi said. A worried expression written all over.

The ex guard held onto the vampire's arm. "Let's just focus on getting Wheein and Hyejin out of here." 

As much as Byulyi wanted to be certain her friend was okay, she knew though it would be best to give Yongsun space and ask again in an area where they won't be burned to death. She helped carry Wheein as Yongsun carried Hyejin and the two ran out of the village. They were in a coughing fit when they got out, with Byulyi soon collapsing on the floor. Yongsun weakly called out for Byul's name, but with her wounds finally catching up to her, she passed out soon after.

 


 

Enzo walked through the flames to find his partner in crime laying on the floor unconscious. He wondered who did it, but assumed it was the four targets and sighed as he went to pick up the woman. He was starting to think these four were a lot tougher than he assumed and thought it would be dumb to try and torture them the more he thought about it. There was only one option now, and it was to kill them once their paths meet again.

 


 

Wheein slowly opened her eyes as the sound of voices got louder and louder. When she looked around, she found the cleric Handong healing Yongsun's body that was covered in cuts. "What happened to her?" Wheein asked.

Handong turned her gaze to the werewolf but didn't stop healing. "Oh, you're awake. I don't exactly know what happened to her, but I can assume she got into a fight."

Wheein was confused about what fight the ex guard had gotten into until she remembered when she was attacked by someone that looked like Hyejin. The last thing she heard before she passed out was the hearing Hyejin call out for her as her figure ran towards her, but Wheein didn't know if that was really Hyejin or not. She looked beside her to find an empty blanket and she assumed it was Hyejin's as Byulyi was sitting next to Solar. The vampire had a worried expression on her face as she held onto the older woman's hand tightly. As if she would die if once Byulyi let go.

The werewolf wondered what was going through Byulyi's mind as the vampire didn't even look at or spoke to her. It wasn't like she couldn't hear after all Handong was right beside her, but she decided to not take it personally as Byul seemed busy. Wheein stood up to try to find Hyejin. Luckily she didn't have to search long and far as she found the witch near their horses, feeding them.

As Hyejin fed the horses, she heard footsteps come close to her and saw Wheein. She gave her a soft smile. "Hey, you're awake."

"Yeah, couldn't sleep well once you left my side."

Hyejin laughed as she shook her head. "Byulyi is a bad influence on you."

"Maybe so, but you can't tell me you didn't like it."

"I can't, I really liked the compliment."

Wheein smiled and Hyejin couldn't help but do the same, as the werewolf always made her day better when she smiles. They fell into a comfortable silence for a minute until Wheein decided to break it. "So are you okay?"

Hyejin nodded her head. "I was worried for a second when I saw you on the ground, but I'm glad it was just because you passed out. I wouldn't don't think I would ever find happiness if something happened to you."

"Well, I'm still here."

Hyejin smiled as she walked up to Wheein and placed a hand on her cheek. "That you are." She then moved her hand away, making the werewolf miss the warm hands on her face. "How is Byulyi? She was upset and by Yongsun's side when I left."

Wheein's smile fell. "Still the same. See for yourself." The werewolf then moved so they can see Byulyi still by Solar's side and holding her hand.

Hyejin sighed as she looked at the sight. "I know those two bicker a lot and Byulyi can sometimes be annoying when she messes around, but that woman is very caring when she wants to be, especially towards Solar. I wonder what was going through her head when she saw Solar like that."

"I wonder too. Do you think Solar will be fine?"

"She will. None of her cuts looked lethal."

The two ended their conversation as soon as they saw Siyeon running towards them. "Hey guys, I think you should get your horses and your two other friends. We're about to leave."

"What? Why?" Hyejin asked confused. She knew Solar was still recovering and unconscious, so they shouldn't be moving until the woman awoke.

"Well, the werewolves found out that Yoohyeon was the old leader's daughter and Jiu as the murder, so we got an angry mob trying to kill our leader right now."

Hyejin raised an eyebrow. "Why should we come with? This sounds like a problem for you guys."

"Uhh..." Siyeon paused as she thought of a good reason. "because Handong hasn't fully healed your other friend yet."

"Well, that's enough to convince me. Let's go Hwasa." Wheein pulled Hyejin to the horses to help untie them. 

The three hurried back to find Jimin trying to calm the angry mob. Hyejin gave Byulyi one horse, and the vampire placed Yongsun in front of her so she didn't fall. Wheein thanked Jimin for her help and they made a run for it with Dreamcatcher following close behind them. The angry mob ran after them, with some as werewolves. A situation like this always made Byulyi happy as she enjoyed the thrill of being chased, but the injured woman in front of her was the only thing that accompanied her mind. Making this no fun when Solar wasn't conscious to enjoy it with her.

 

 

 


 

:0  I wonder what will happen next? Oh wait, I'm the author. I know what happens next XD

 

Anyway, have a good day, be safe, and Stream BOCA by Dreamcatcher! :D