Chapter 4: Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover

Clearing Our Names

"What do you mean you lost them!?!" Enzo yelled.

"Oh, I'm okay. Thanks for asking." Raven sarcastically said as she glared at Enzo. "It's very difficult to keep track of where four people are running to when someone is trying to kill you."

Raven had just returned from her little mission to free their four targets but had surprised her partner by telling him they were set free by someone else. It was good for them as they were free from blame on that aspect, but it was also bad as the person who set the targets free, attacked Raven, making it difficult for her to follow them and figure out their hiding spot.

"And yet you still couldn't find them?"

"Yeah, I think they found a place to hide before I could."

Enzo sighed. "How about the person who attacked you? What did you do to them?"

"I'm glad you asked, I put a little sleeping spell that will surely knock him out for a couple of months."

Enzo furrowed his brows. "Why didn't you kill him? Now we're on a time limit."

"Relax, he didn't see me, just his dead comrade, what's his name? Jungwoah?"

"Jungho."

"Same thing."

Enzo groaned. "That doesn't matter, anyway. What matters now is finding those four, but do you know how long it will take to find them around this kingdom? What if they escaped, and we just wasted time looking for them here? I told you we should have let them get killed."

"Hey, it didn't even matter if we wanted them killed or not back there, did you forget someone else set them free before us? And don't worry, I found a way that could help us track them."

"And what would that be? You can't possibly have any of their blood to track them."

"No, I don't have their blood, but," Raven reached into her side pouch and pulled out a strand of bleach blonde hair. "I have a hairpiece, a little wolf left behind just for us."
 



It was dusk when Solar, Byul, Wheein, Hyejin, and Hoseok reached the nearest town. Hoseok went inside a stable where they most likely won't be seen and called for the four to exit out of the pile of hay, to which they gladly complied.

"Ugh, I didn't think hay would make me so itchy?" Wheein exclaimed as she furiously scratched herself.

"Hopefully we aren't wanted fugitives yet, cause I could use a shower and a comfy bed," Byulyi said.

"Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the vampire," Hyejin spoke as she scratched herself.

While the three complained and talked about wanting a shower, Yongsun looked at the merchant who was feeding his horse. "Thank you again, Hoseok. We are in your debt."

"Aww, it's no biggie. Just try to be safe on your journey, will yeah?"

Yongsun smiled. "We will." The four said their farewells to the merchant, but before they left, Yong wanted to ask one thing that still seems to have confused her. "Hoseok, why did you help us?"

"Oh, because you guys don't seem too bad, so whatever you guys were accused of, must not have been true. Then again, you can't always judge a book by its cover, except you haven't killed me or mugged me yet, so that at least says something, right?"

The ex guard smiled. "Right." She then walked out of the stable and went to catch up to the other three who were waiting for her. "Let's go find a place to sleep."

"Couldn't agree more, but where?" Byulyi asked.

"The closest tavern, of course. Which is this one called The Inn."

Byul shook her head. "No, this won't do, I suggest another place. However, if we're going to that place I need you to do something for me." The three were confused as to what the vampire would suggest but were willing to listen.

Solar, Hyejin, and Wheein entered another tavern and were amazed to see how big and lively it was.

"I think this is bigger than Jin's tavern," Wheein said.

"It sure looks like it, but let's not get distracted," Solar said as she scanned the area and found what she was looking for. "Found the bar. Let's go."

As they walked to the bar, people were giving them the stink eyes, and although Solar didn't understand why, Hyejin and Wheein knew. The people smelled wolf, and that didn't sit well with the both of them.

"I don't think these folks like werewolves. Are you sure we should stay here?" Hyejin whispered.

"We have no choice. Byulyi said this was the best place to sleep."

"Oh, so you're listening to the vampire thief now? Did you forget that we're in this mess because of her?"

"I told you, I take sides that are right and she's our best bet when surviving."

"What about me and Wheein?"

"I meant with other people."

Hyejin couldn't argue there. Byulyi had more skill than the two when it came to surviving among other people. The conversation was put to a close when they reached the bar that had a beautiful woman with bright red hair. The lady gave them a smile, showing off her fangs which Yongsun assumed made her a vampire by small the fangs were compared to Wheein's.

"Hi, welcome to The Dreamcatcher Tavern, what can I do for you?"

"I would like a room with two beds, please."

The bartender looked at the three women and chuckled a little. "Sure. Will that be all?"

Yongsun nodded and paid the red-haired woman the fee. The woman then gave her the key to their room.

"Here's the key to your room, which is just upstairs. Enjoy your stay."

"Thank you...?"

"Minji, Kim Minji."

As the three entered the room, they were surprised to see how nice looking it was, except for the floor that looked a little wear down. Besides that, everything else looked nice. To the two beds that were big enough to fit two people and a desk along with a wooden chair next to it. Yongsun was glad she listened to the vampire and speaking of the vampire, she had to get her over here, so she went to the nearest window and opened it.

"Psst, Moonbyul."

The vampire quickly came to the window where the Solar was and climbed up with the vines that grew on the side.

"I still don't understand why you didn't just come with?"

"Because I have a bad reputation with the people that own this tavern."

"Wait, what!?!" Hyejin yelled. "And you didn't think of telling us before we stayed here?"

"It doesn't matter what you guys thought, because if you want a chance to sleep and wake up with four members instead of two or three, this place is your best bet."

Yongsun was puzzled by what Byulyi said. "What do you mean if we want to wake up with four I stead of two or three?"

Byul then stared at Solar, surprised. "Wow, you really don't know? Okay, well let me summarize it for you. Most people outside of the kingdom don't like witches, sorcerers, wizards, vampires, or werewolves. However, as long as the first three don't use their magic powers, they pass as humans. Vampires and werewolves on the other hand have a harder time to blend in with their fangs of course, but vampires are dead pale with the chance of exposing themselves when they need to feed and werewolves have a strong scent that you can tell from a mile away."

"Okay, but that doesn't explain why this place is safer compared to the other taverns and inns here."

"Cause this place is owned by probably the most dangerous mercenaries in the world, Dreamcatcher, and these folk have werewolves, magic users, and their leader is a vampire. They make sure everyone who stays here for the night is safe, so unless one of the townsfolk want to wake up to a burning house, I don't think anyone will be breaking into our place to kill me and Wheein."

"And you have bad blood with these dangerous mercenaries!?!" Hyejin yelled. "I'm telling you Solar, this vampire will only cause us more harm than good."

"I'm starting to agree with you, Hyejin."

"Come on guys, I'm not too bad."

"I agree, she helped us find a spot to rest that isn't dangerous," Wheein said that made Byul relieved that someone was at least on her side.

"Whatever I guess. I won't let this new info stop me from showering this hay off," Hyejin said as she walked to the bathroom. "Want to tag along Wheein? You wash my clothes while I shower and vice versa." Wheein nodded and followed her best friend to the bathroom, leaving Yongsun and Byulyi alone.

Byul didn't have the chance to look around the room, so she did so as Solar walked up to one of the beds and laid on it with the sheets on.

"So... you bought two beds."

"Well yeah, I assumed Wheein and Hyejin will sleep in one bed."

"Does that mean you and me share the other? Cause I prefer being the big spoon." Byul said with a smirk and although Yongsun couldn't see it, she felt it and wanted to smack that smirk off the vampire's face.

"No, you'll sleep on the floor."

Byulyi whined. "I was just kidding Solar. I promise there will be no spooning of any kind on the bed. Please, I'll do anything besides sleep on the floor."

"Fine." Byul perked up. "You can sleep on that wooden chair in the corner then."

Byul should have known it would not be that easy to change the ex guard's mind. "C'mon Solar. Don't be like that."

Solar raised her torso up as she gave a stern glare towards the younger girl. "I will be like THAT, cause last time I checked, I'm not the one who caused all four of use to be sent to execution because I was a little kleptomaniac beforehand."

"Come on, how was I supposed to know that I'd be stuck on a little adventure with three other people. And if we're bringing up pasts that shouldn't be addressed anymore, then you wouldn't mind if I bring up our make-out session a few days ago would yeah?"

Yongsun groaned as she laid back down. "You are just the worse person to be stuck with. I'm glad I have two other people to talk to or else I'd turn myself. Now good night, I'm going to sleep."

"Are you not showering?"

"No, I'll do it in the morning."

"That's nasty."

Nothing came from the ex guard, which left the vampire to herself. She looked around the floor and saw a cockroach crawl across the floor. "Hard no on the floor." She looked at the wooden chair in the room's corner and though it looked uncomfortable, it better than the floor. Vampires didn't need sleep, but it was a good way to pass the time. She was also tired, which came from her hunger, but she wouldn't allow herself to drink any blood and walked to the chair to sit on and closed her eyes.
 



"Who knew that sleeping on a wooden chair would cause your body to ache." Byulyi thought as she stretched and dragged herself to follow the three women in front of her. She knew that sleeping on a wooden chair would cause body pains, but had no choice.

"Sleep well?" Wheein asked as she stood next to Byul.

"Oh totally, best sleep I've had in my life."

"Really?"

"No, I was lying of course."

"Sorry about you sleeping on the chair, if me and Hyejin had more space on the bed, we would've let you join, but..."

The vampire chuckled. "You're a mover, I know. Seeing Hyejin on the floor proved that."

Wheein chuckled nervously, remembering the terrified scream that came from his friend when she woke up to a cockroach in her hair. The two chatted a bit and laughed while they followed their more human-like friends to the store full of cloaks.

"This place has many cloaks, but we want to try and fit in and not be seen easily, so we'll just get the plain dark-colored cloaks okay?" Yongsun said to which the three nodded in understanding.

Byulyi wrapped her arm around Wheein. "And me and Wheein will pay go for it. You and Hyejin can go buy something else important like weapons."

Solar raised an eyebrow. "We can go pay for them together."

"No, I think Byulyi is right," Wheein said, taking the vampire's side. "We should hurry and buy other things. We can't stay any longer or else we could get caught."

 

"See, the pup got the idea."

Solar rolled her eyes. "Fine, you have a point, but I think me and Hyejin should stay with one of you and vice versa since you both are this town's noticeable main targets."

"You're right. I'll take Hyejin then. You take the werepup."

"Why not let me be paired with you since these two are close to each other?"

"Awww, is someone already going to miss me? Don't worry, it won't be too long."

Yongsun glared at the brunette for a few seconds and then turned around. "Meet us back at the room when you're done. C'mon, Wheein we'll go buy the weapons." Before the two left, Solar grabbed a pouch and poured some coins inside. She then gave the small bag to Byul, who let her hold go on the werewolf to hold the bag. "That's for the cloaks and the food you will later buy after you buy the cloaks, got it?"

Byul saluted the ex guard. "Yes, ma'am."

Wheein looked at Hyejin worriedly, since it would be the first time she would be separated from her friend. The witch noticed it and went to pet the top of the wolf's head. "It's all right, you have Solar at least. We'll meet you later once everything is done and if anything bad happens, you know my scent."

"C'mon Wheein."

Wheein was still hesitant to go, but with Hyejin's reassurance, followed the ex guard to buy the needed supplies.

Hyejin watched until her friend was out of view and turned around to see the vampire grinning ear to ear, holding what seemed like a witch's cloak and was not amused one bit. "Really? Would you like it if I showed you a vampire cloak?"

"I wouldn't mind, cause last time I checked, those don't have a hood piece to cover my face."

Hyejin groaned in annoyance. "I'm starting to understand why Solar let you sleep on the chair." The witch must have struck a low blow as the smile on the vampire's face disappeared.

 

"Okay, I get it, I'll stop." Maria said as she placed the cloak back and walked away.

Hyejin was surprised by Byulyi's action as what she said seemed to have upset the vampire. She followed the vampire, feeling bad. "Hey, I'm sorry for what I said."

"It's all right. You said nothing wrong."

"That's not what your face looked." Hyejin then noticed Byulyi stuffing another cloak into another. "What are you doing?"

"Putting a cloak inside another so we pay half of it."

"But isn't that stealing?" The witch whispered.

"Yeah, but the clerk won't know, they're too busy talking to a customer, so..."

"But what if we're caught?"

"Then we'll pay for the four instead and act like we found them like that." She placed in the final cloak inside the other and folded them in a way to make it harder to know that there was another cloak inside the other and walked to the cashier.

Hyejin rolled her eyes, no longer feeling sorry. "A thief will always be a thief it looks like." She thought to herself as she followed the vampire and watched as the cashier was none the wiser about the cloaks underneath the other as the two were the same size. Byulyi paid for the "two" cloaks and they walked away with the four cloaks.

"Is that why you wanted to split us up into two? So they don't suspect that there's four cloaks instead of two?"

"Somewhat, but mostly because miss follows the rules probably wouldn't allow me to steal."

"And for a second there, I was feeling sorry for you."

Byulyi sadly chuckled."Anyway, let's go buy and steal some food, so we can reunite you and the werepup."

Hyejin noticed the change of mood in the vampire again, but this time didn't want to speak on it since she seemed to have changed the subject. This time she'll just follow along with what the brunette wanted to do as long as it didn't get them in trouble.
 



Wheein stood close beside Solar as the surrounding people gave her unfriendly stares. She wished Hyejin was here with her, cause the witch being by her side always seemed to calm her down.

Yongsun noticed Wheein being uncomfortable and protectively wrapped her arm around the small wolf. "I promise to keep you safe."

Wheein smiled at Solar's comforting words and for a bit she forgot the cold stares looking at her. The two walked inside the blacksmith who surprisingly greeted them kindly. "Hi, welcome to the blacksmith, whatcha ladies looking for?"

"Two daggers and two swords." Solar said as she placed the bag of coins down on the anvil. "I hope this is enough to pay for those four things."

The blacksmith grabbed the bag and shook it. "This will do just fine, but I can only get you the pre-made weapons."

"Pre-made is fine. We are in a rush."

"Got it. You wait right here and I'll get you your swords and daggers." The blacksmith then went to grab the weapons and after a few minutes came out with the two swords and daggers. "Here yeah go."

"Thank you, sir." The two bid farewell to the older man before leaving.

"He seemed nice."

"Seem so. Perhaps not everyone is out to get you out here."

Wheein chuckled. "I hope not or else, we'll be sleeping on the dirt a lot."

After a few minutes of walking and weird side-eyes, Wheein saw something that caught her eye. "Solar can we go inside this store?"

Yongsun stopped walking and turned around to see Wheein pointing at a magic shop and realized why she wanted to. She forgot for a second that Hyejin was a gifted witch and not a normal human like her. "Okay, but know we have little coins left, so buy something cheap."

Wheein beamed as she shook her head furiously and went inside. Yongsun smiled and followed her friend inside.

Unlike the blacksmith, the shopkeeper was very displeased by the two's presence in his store. "Is that dog I smell?"

Yongsun got defensive as she got in front of Wheein. "Yeah, and what about it?"

"No mutts allowed." The man said as he pointed to a sign that read 'no mutts allowed' "leave your dog outside. I'm baffled that you didn't put a leash on that thing."

Yongsun's blood was boiling from this person's rude remarks to her friend. "Wheein is not some dog to be leashed."

"Solar it's fine. We can just go somewhere else."

"Listen to your pet if you know what's good for you. I don't understand why you even come here. You don't even look like the magic type."

That was the last straw as Yongsun started walking up to the man with clenched fists. "We're here to get something for a friend and that's what we'll do."

"Then get your mutt- " The man didn't get to finish his sentence when he was silenced by Solar's fist in his face.

"I think I had enough of your nonsense." Yongsun rubbed the blood off her fist, then turned back to Wheein, who was surprised at what she saw.

"Do you think that was a little too much?"

"Nothing's too much when it's trash. Now go get what you need for Hyejin and we'll be on our way."

Wheein nodded her head and went to search for what she wanted until she finally found the right one. It was a spell book used for witches and a wand. She grabbed the two things and walked to the ex guard, who looked fascinated by the sorcerer's books.

"I'm ready."

Yongsun went to pay for the book and wand. It was almost dark when they left the shop, so they quickly made their way back to the tavern room. They assumed that their other two comrades made it back and didn't want them to wait any long for their return. Luckily, they didn't run into the same bothersome rude people like the shop keeper on their way and were able to make it inside the tavern unscathed. When they walked inside their room, they were surprised to only see Hyejin with no vampire in sight. As Wheein and Solar placed the weapons down, the witch saw the worry in Solar's face.

"Don't worry, she went to the tavern to get a drink," Hyejin said as she watched Solar grab a cloak and put it on.

"With the money Jin gave us?"

Although Hyejin couldn't see the expression on Solar's face with the ex-guard's hood still up, she knew the ex guard was upset. "Yeah, but she said she'd get one drink. Solar, wait, she said only one drink!" Hyejin sighed when the older woman walked off.

"Hey, Hyejin. I got you a wand and a book!" Wheein said with an enormous grin as she held up the boom and wand. She hoped she could change the poor mood in her friend with the gifts she bought.

Hyejin smiled. "Well, come here and let me see."



Byul was taking a swig of her beer when she was suddenly grabbed and held by the collar of her cloak by Solar. "How did you know it was me? I was literally wearing a cloak with a hood."

"You're the only one in here besides me wearing a cloak and I can sense a thief like you from a mile away."

Byulyi then pulled herself for the ex guard's grip. "Shhh, lower your voice when you say thief in this bar."

"I don't care. How could you waste the coins Jin gave on beer!"

"I told Hyejin that it was just one beer."

"I don't believe you, you're lying to like every other thief does to save their own skin. As the saying goes, once a thief, always a thief. You probably even stole some things while you went to get supplies."

Byul didn't understand Solar's hostility towards her, but she refuses to let the woman talk down on her. "You don't get to judge me on how I live miss perfect!"

"I do because ever since I met you, it cost me everything I worked so hard for!" Yongsun yelled with tears threatening to escape. It was quiet in the busy tavern and Solar looked around to notice that all eyes were on them. She looked back into the vampire's eyes, which were filled with sadness, guilt, and anger.

Byul lightly pushed Solar "I'm not the who ran into danger, knowing full well that I could die."

Solar than shoved Byul, who fell back from the force and slammed her back onto the counter. "I rather die than be stuck with you!"

The force caused the hood the vampire was wearing to come off and immediately a figure with long silver hair stood up. A figure she remembered seeing just a few days ago and was hoping to not see again.

"Hey, that's the person who stole from me!" The figure, Yoohyeon if she remembered, yelled as she walked up to the duo with her friends, with Byulyi remembering only seeing one of.

"We got to go Solar," Byul said as she grabbed the short-haired woman's wrist and started running out the tavern.

"Of course your thieving ways would get us in trouble again!"

"Can you not fight with me and run!"

"Fine, but we have to go back for Wheein and Hyejin."

"They're fine. They didn't see your face yet. Now shut up and run!"

The two ran into the forest hoping to lose their pursuers, so once the footsteps seemed to have vanished, they stopped to catch their breathes. Solar yanked her hand away from the vampire.

"I think we lost them," Byulyi said, but felt like she jinxed it when they heard more than one howling and footsteps coming their way. "Aww, . Me and my stupid mouth."

The two ran again, now with two werewolves on their tail, and they were catching up fast. As they ran, Byulyi looked behind her to see two pairs of red glowing eyes and torches and it somehow felt like deja vu.
She didn't realize that Solar stopped running and bumped into her which caused the two to tumble down a rocky hill. They got cuts and bruises on the way down until they finally landed on mud.

Yongsun lifted her torso as she glared at the vampire. "Why the hell didn't you stop!" Solar's furious mood quickly changed when she saw fear in the vampire's eyes.

"I... I-" She was cut off by another set of howling and desperately looked around for a hiding spot. She saw a small hole near a big rock that was big enough for someone to hide in. She then looked at Solar. "They went to look for a safer way down, so we got to act fast." She grabbed Solar's hand again, but it was yanked away, which confused the brunette.

"I-I can't. I think I bruised my ankle." Byul looked at Solar's leg and saw a huge bump on the ankle area. So she carried her on her back instead. "W-what are you doing?"

"Saving your . What else?" Byul said as she slowly walked to her destination. The weight of Solar, causing a surge of pain through her ribs.

"Just leave me and go, ."

"No way, they're after me and if they see you, they'll go after Wheein and Hyejin."

The vampire then placed Solar into the hole as she went to push the big rock.

"Wait, what are you doing?"

"I told you already, saving your ."

Solar was about to speak but was quickly cut off. "Stop asking questions. Look, I'm sorry about everything. I never meant to ruin your life and everything you worked hard for. If I could turn back time, I would make sure that we never met."

"But that doesn't mean you have to do this."

Byul fully pushed the rock to cover the hole and frantically covered the marks. She heard the footsteps from afar. "Yes, it does. Now please be quiet. I can hear them coming."

Even if Yongsun wanted to protest, she couldn't allow them both to get captured and put the other two in harm's way, so she did what the vampire told her to do and went quiet as she heard Byulyi's footsteps get farther away from her. Soon she heard another set of footsteps come closer and held her breath when they stopped.

"I saw them fall here. You can see the mud mark where they fell and some blood on the rocks when you look up."

"Guys, I see one set of footsteps, I think one of them is still here."

"I can't smell anyone here Gahyeon. I think they're trying to trick us that one is left back here, so we lose them."

"Then they won't be getting far. Let's go before we lose them. Lead the way, Yoohyeon."

"With pleasure." The person, Yoohyeon, said as she howled again and ran off with a few other footsteps following suit.

Yongsun waited for what felt like hours until she felt like the coast was clear and tried to push the rock, but it was proven to be difficult because of how big the rock was and her bruised ankle. She was glad that there was mud to help her push the rock easier and soon there was a slight gap to crawl out of. She looked around and wondered how she was gonna get out of here.

"Looks like she screwed me over again than helped me." Yongsun unconsciously said and immediately realized what she said and sighed. "No, she at least tried to help me escape, so I should be grateful." she then crawled to the spot both her and Byul fell in and climbed up from the rocks.

She noticed the many blood marks as she climbed up and wondered how bad are Byul's injuries compared to her own. She knew the woman could still walk, but could she run or broke something else like her ribs? She shook her head to focus. If she remembered correctly, vampires can heal over time, so the vampire must be fine after. Right?


The ex guard finally reached the top and was glad to have found a branch that was long enough for her to use as a walking stick. She crawled to the tree and did her best to grab onto the branch and break it off. It took a while until she finally did and hoped her way back to Wheein and Hyejin, to figure out a plan to either rescue Byul or meet up with the vampire if she finally lost the people chasing them.


"Don't judge a book by its cover." Yongsun now wished she hadn't judged the vampire so harshly. Sure, Byulyi is a thief, but she must have had to in order to survive. She didn't seem bad at heart, so she promised herself to at least nicer to the vampire. If they both get out of this town, that is.

 



Byul ran as far as she could go. Her body ached from the morning, from the counter slam, from the rocky fall, from slipping on the mud a couple of times, and her legs were giving out, but she still ran. All that was on her mind was to get as far away as possible so they don't know where Solar was when they catch her and hopefully make the older woman escape before they find her hiding spot.

The footsteps grew closer, so she tried to sprint, which soon proved to be difficult as her injuries proved to be too much and she collapsed. She tried to get up, but her body refused to listen. Everything hurt so badly and because she was too dumb to drink blood when she was hungry, her vampire ability to self-heal didn't work. She laid down, on the brink of passing out as the footsteps finally reached her and someone picked her up.

"I'll teach you to steal from me, thief." That was the last thing Byulyi heard until she lost consciousness, and everything went black.


 

 

 


 

Byulyi noooo! D: 

I don't know if anyone reads the bottom parts honestly, but at least the ones reading this would know that this chapter was supposed to be longer, but it was way too long with over 8,000 words, so I'm gonna split it in two. I hope you guys enjoyed it and I'll see you guys in the next chapter :)