PART 7: PLEASE DON’T GO

STORY OF US 우리의 이야기
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning came and I felt like I hadn’t slept one bit. I washed up and got ready to head to the office. Jeonghan greeted me warmly that morning, as usual. But I, on the other hand, couldn’t bring myself to do the same. It was as if an invisible burden had been hanging over me. My world had crumbled the day Mingyu told me the truth. And I wondered if Jeonghan knew about it.

“Is everything okay, Wonwoo?” he asked in concern.

“I guess so,” I replied uncertainly.

“Mingyu’s waiting for you inside.”

“Alright, thanks,” I bowed and entered Mingyu’s office.

“Hey,” he said gently, staring at me with soft eyes. He came forward and pulled me into his embrace.

I wanted to recoil but realized that I needed this. After what he said that day, the tension between us was almost unbearable to me. I didn’t want to love him anymore. I hated him. I wanted everything to stop. But I realized it was too late for that.

I locked my arms around his waist and hugged him tight. I buried my face in his chest. My shoulders trembled and shook and I could feel warm tears pouring out of my eyes. They streamed down my face and drenched his shirt.

“There, there…,” Mingyu soothed, lifting my chin up. He leaned down and kissed my lips gently.

I cupped his cheeks and kissed him back. I didn’t want to let go. I wanted to stop time and stayed in that moment.

“I’ve missed you,” I whispered through the tears.

“I’m right here,” he said and hugged me tight.

“But I can’t…,” I gasped for breath, “I can’t do what you wanted me to do, Mingyu.”

“I know,” he replied, “It’s okay.”

“I’m really sorry.”

“I told you, no apologies,” he said firmly.

“No, I’m sorry…for this,” I backed away from him. I could see his confused face through my tears.

“Wonwoo, what do you mean?”

“I can’t…I just can’t,” I shook my head, “I can’t be with you anymore, Mingyu.”

“I just can’t,” I cried, “I don’t want to live, seeing you live on numbered days. I don’t want to wait for that day to come and know that I can’t do anything about it. I don’t want any of this.”

“So I have to make a choice, Mingyu,” I said, “I know it’s hard but I have to. And I’m ending this today. We’re finished, Mingyu. I’m sorry. I don’t want to suffer.”

I was afraid to look but I did. I lifted my head and stared into his eyes. They were so sad and filled with tears threatening to fall. But at the same time, they were filled with love and warmth. The same love I once knew, the same warmth that I longed for.

“Wonwoo, I…I thought…,” he started but couldn’t continue. The first trickle of tear streamed down his cheek.

I knew what he felt. Because I felt it too. What we had was a miracle. But yet, it was a miracle that God forbid. It was the happily ever after we longed for but we both knew it would never turn out that way. I bit my lower lip as I felt the warm tears trickled down both my cheeks. I didn’t want to stay here any longer. I had to get out. I had to leave this heartbreaking place.

I was selfish. I knew that. But I had to save myself from the endless suffering. I need to live. I still have a life. Now, I must try my hardest to forget the man named Kim Mingyu. I know it seemed impossible but I had to try.

I turned and ran out of his office. I ran past Jeonghan’s table and into the waiting elevator.

“Wonwoo, wait!” It was Jeonghan but I didn’t turn back. I knew if I turned back now, it would all be over.

This time, I didn’t hear his voice. He didn’t call out to me. He didn’t ran after me. He didn’t do anything. At that moment, my only wish was for him to hate me too. Because I would like to do the same. I ran and ran as far away as my two legs could carry. Out of the building and into fresh open air.

Like that day when I thought my world had fallen apart, the sky began to darken and rain started to pour. My whole world crumbled and collapsed all around me. I let my tears streamed down my face. I didn’t care anymore. Thanks to the rain, nobody really cared.

Without me realizing it, I have turned into a familiar street. I stopped to catch my breath. I looked around and saw that Mingyu hadn’t followed me. I breathed a sigh of relief. Dragging my tired legs, I made my way back home.

Before I could even slump down on the couch in my living room, my cellphone r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter