PART 4: SURPRISE

STORY OF US 우리의 이야기
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The doorbell rang me up the other day. And I realized I had fallen asleep on the couch last night. I groaned and tried to get up. The doorbell rang again, more urgently this time.

“Wonwoo! Are you in there?”

“Just a minute!” I called back. Wait, that voice was familiar.

I stumbled across the living room and rushed to the front door. I yanked it open and was surprise to see the one I did not expected to see.

“J-Jeonghan?” I asked, astonished.

“I thought you were…” I trailed off when I saw his confused face, “Nevermind, what are you doing here?”

“Sorry to barge in like this,” he said apologetically.

“But, Mingyu wanted to speak with you,” he said, “He said it’s urgent.”

Mingyu? Here at my doorstep, wanted to see me? I couldn’t quite believe my ears after what I just saw yesterday.

Bark! Spots started to bark and growl at Jeonghan.

“No, Spots, it’s okay,” I said, patting his head, “He’s a friend.”

Spots immediately stopped barking, sat down and wagged his tail. I laughed lightly as I watched him.

“Is he…?”

“He’s right over there,” Jeonghan gestured towards an expensive big car parked right outside.

I followed him towards the car and entered. Jeonghan sat in the driver’s seat. He gave me a mysterious wink before entering the vehicle. I had no idea what he meant.

When I saw him in the car, my heart skipped and started to beat uncontrollably fast. After all this time, I thought I’d be used to it. But no. My fragile heart still couldn’t take it.

“Hi, Wonwoo,” he said, smiling. I hoped I wasn’t blushing too much for him to notice.

“About yesterday…,” he began. I held my breath, I thought he must have seen me watching him and Jeonghan.

“I told you not to come in to the office,” he said slowly, almost stuttering. I was surprised. I’d never seen him like this. It was almost as if he was…nervous.

“It’s because I’ve been busy…planning…,” he said, as if wondering how he could put it into words that I could understand.

He stole a glance at the front seat. Jeonghan caught his eye and nodded in encouragement. My mind was spinning but I couldn’t understand what was happening right now, between them and between us.

“I…I bought these,” Mingyu continued, taking out the two tickets he’d bought yesterday and showing it to me.

“These are tickets,” he showed them to me, “Tickets to Floida. I have a summer house there.”

I could see that he could breathe better now as the words flowed out of his mouth more effortlessly now. I could hear him but still, I couldn’t understand what he meant.

“You won’t be going to the office for a while,” he said, staring into my eyes.

I nodded slowly. Guess I’ll have to put a pause on the book. I’ll have to find something else to keep myself occupied now.

“When will you be coming back?” I asked.

“Well…I was hoping we could stay there as long as possible,” he said, smiling a little.

“As long as we want, that is.”

“Wait…we?” I stared at him, confused.

“The tickets, they’re for the both of you,” Jeonghan cut in.

“Wait…what?”

“I figured you and I both deserved a vacation,” Mingyu said, “Don’t you think?”

I could feel my cheeks inflating as a big smile plastered across my face. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know what to think. I was at a loss for words.

“I…I…”

“Will you…come with me? To Florida?”

“Yes…yes! Of course! Yes!” I couldn’t contain my joy. I knew I might feel embarrassed later but I just didn’t care much at the moment. I basically jumped for joy right then and there.

“That settles it then,” Mingyu smiled, as if relieved of my reply, “I’ll see you in the morning then.”

“I…thank you, Mingyu.”

“Please, don’t thank me,” he replied, “You deserve this much.”

We bid farewell and I got out of the vehicle.

“Remember to pack your bags, Wonwoo,” Jeonghan reminded me, “I’ll pick you up at 7 early in the morning.”

“Alright!” I called back, “And thank you again! Bye!”

I cursed myself. All that doubts and questions. I couldn’t believe myself of thinking so ill of Kim Mingyu. There was nothing to worry about after all. What an idiot!

I couldn’t contain my excitement as I rushed upstairs and rummaged through my wardrobes and cupboards, bringing anything I caught my eyes on.

Spots came behind me with confused eyes as he barked softly to get my attention. Damn, I was so excited I had entirely forgot about Spots. First things first, I brought Spots’ collar and leash and brought him next door.

Thankfully, my neighbour agreed to help me take care of him. I thanked him profusely, not certain how I was going to repay him. But he was ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter