PART 3: THE RAINBOW AFTER THE STORM

STORY OF US 우리의 이야기
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The book was never ending. We worked like this for weeks, and then months. There were new things to be added every day, and it did not seem to have an end.

But our lunches and dinners became more frequent. Mingyu insisted on paying at first, but I managed to pay for a few times despite his reluctance. After that, we took turns in paying and there were no hard feelings. It was only natural.

One morning, I received a call. I looked at the screen. It wasn’t Kim Mingyu. Instead, it was his secretary.

“Hello, Jeonghan?” I answered the call, “Is anything the matter?”

“Mingyu wished to inform that there will be no need for you to come by the office today,” he said, “He’s rather…occupied, with something else.”

“Oh…alright then,” I replied, “Thanks for informing.”

“Good day,” Jeonghan said and hung up.

I sat back down on my bed and laid my head on the pillow. An unplanned off day. I snuggled into my blankets and let my eyelids dropped. It had been a long time since I get to sleep in like this.

When I opened my eyes again it was almost noon. I reluctantly got out of bed and washed up. I should at least do something productive on my off day, I thought.

I thought about calling Soonyoung but decided that he must be really busy with his job. Instead of staying cooped up in my house all day, I reckoned I should go out there for a change.

I pulled out my favourite T-shirt and casual pants, put on my black cap and slipped in a pair of sneakers. I decided to take the usual road to the park. I’d pass by some shops so I might as well go window shopping. I opened the front door and breathed in deeply.

Ah! Fresh air! I really should get out more often, I thought, not sure if I was able to do that.

I walked down towards the gate and took the leap to a more adventurous life. First stop, more houses, and neighbours. Some of my neighbours didn’t recognize me because I seldom came out of my house. But those that did greeted me with a warm smile.

I greeted them back. And it felt good. It was as if something inside me came alive. I actually liked this feeling. There park was located in the middle of the town. It’d probably be full of people. But I realized, I wasn’t scared anymore.

I strolled into town, looking at everything as if for the first time. The clothes, the food, the accessories behind the glass panes. I stared at them in awe. I never really noticed all these things. Because I never looked, I never needed them.

I came across a pet shop just at the edge of the corner. All the puppies looked at me with their puppy eyes through the glass. They were so adorable. I regretted that my salary couldn’t let me afford even one of them.

Not wanting to dwell on them any longer, I moved on. Just as I was about to turn away, I noticed a familiar car turning into the driveway. I watched, mesmerized. I squinted to get a better look at the driver. The silhouette was familiar indeed. The car stopped at a parking lot. The people inside stepped out of the vehicle.

My heart was caught in my throat. Tall, dark and handsome. It was none other than Kim Mingyu. Fortunately, he did not see me spying him. What was he doing here? I thought he said there was no work. I thought he’d at home or in the office busy with his other things.

Then, the other side of the car door opened. Out came Yoon Jeonghan, his secretary. Suddenly,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter