PART 1: THE STORY BEGINS

STORY OF US 우리의 이야기
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I typed furiously on my laptop until my fingers numbed and my mind went blank. I checked the pages. What? It’s only been three and a half pages? I worked so slow these days. My mind can’t seem to function properly. And inspirations were so hard to come by. I’ve tried so hard to follow my passion. But yet, life was hard.

It’s been almost two years now, and I can’t even get a book finished. With my previous savings, I only managed to live day by day with little to eat. I really should start searching for another job. But I wasn’t quite so willing to give up on my passion.

A noise distracted my thoughts. It was my stomach growling. I realized I haven’t eaten since last night. And it was already noon. I had to eat something. But what?

Just then, there was a knock on my door before it burst open. Standing before me was my saviour.

“Wonwoo!” he said, raising his hands dramatically.

“Wanna grab some lunch?”

It was an invitation that I could hardly reject. I pushed the chair back and stood up. I could still feel my stomach growling.

“Soonyoung, I’m so glad you came,” I smiled, “And I’m starving. Let’s go.”

He swung his arm over my shoulder as he dragged me out of the house. As usual, he weighed me down and I stumbled, barely able to keep the balance. Either he didn’t know, or he didn’t care, as he continued to drag me on by the neck.

“Soonyoung, please,” I laughed, pulling at his arm.

“Oh, please, I’m not even that heavy,” he laughed.

I wasn’t normally that weak either. But my naturally skinny body had forced me to be so. Not being able to break away from that headlock, I decided to try to match with his pace.

“You looked like you’ve gained weight,” I teased, “What have you been eating while I was starving in my room?”

“No, really?” he asked, a little offended. I pinched his chubby cheek to prove my point.

“Stop it,” he pushed my hand away, annoyed.

“Sorry,” I muttered.

“No, it’s – I just –” Soonyoung started.

“I understand,” I said, “I shouldn’t have taken it too far.”

He’s a little sensitive. I remembered when both of us were still kids. I couldn’t gain weight while he was a little chubbier. Back in school, everyone was calling him names and made fun of his body size.

When we finally graduated from high school, he transformed himself. His job helped him keep fit too. He was always busy, running around with a camera strapped to his neck and a notepad and pen in hand. Every once in a while, when he finally have some free time, he would take me out to lunch, spend some time.

We have always stayed friends, but we have different dreams. But that didn’t mean that we have to stay apart. Sometimes, I envied him but it was what I couldn’t do. He had the chance to see the world, meet new people, learn new things as he travelled around while I stayed cooped up in my room, trying to squeeze my brain just to have something on my laptop screen.

Soonyoung turned and smiled at me, “I’m not mad at you.”

“I know,” I smiled back, “Let’s just get something to eat.”

Our favourite shop was crowded, as usual, but we managed to find a table for two. We always eat the same dishes here, jajangmyeon for me and ramyeon for Soonyoung. We have been coming here for meals ever since we were kids. It’s kind of our special place. Since we couldn’t spend as much time together as we did, we cherished our moments together whenever possible.

“So how’s your job lately? Busy?”

“Yeah, same as usual,” Soonyoung replied, “If I do any better than this, I think they might even send me overseas.”

“Well, that’s good, isn’t it?” I asked, travelling out of the country have been our dreams. I thought he’d be happy about it.

“Yeah, but…,” he met my eyes, “We probably won’t be meeting each other in a long long time.”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” I laughed, waving my hand, “I’ll be staying here for…forever actually. I won’t be going anywhere, I promise.”

I drew a cross over my heart and we both laughed out loud. It’s been a while since I’ve seen him smile. Recently, he was so stressed that sometimes he’d only smile at my lame jokes because he knew I was just trying to cheer him up.

“How about you then?” he asked, “Met at girl?”

“Oh please, Soonyoung, don’t tease me,” I laughed, “The only girl I’ll ever meet would be from the book I write.”

“I thought you’d be the one to introduce me some,” I smiled cheekily, “You must know a lot of beautiful girls, with that handsome face of yours.

“Yeah, a lot,” he said, “But they’re not real. Nobody’s real in the outside world.”

“Maybe you just haven’t found the right one yet,” I suggested.

“Maybe,” he said softly before going back to eating.

“Well, recently I’ve found a job that could maybe make me stay for a while more,” he said, suddenly remembering.

“But I think that job might suit you more.”

My eyes lit up. I’ve been waiting for something to write, an offer, a job, anything.

“Really?” my eyes widened, “Tell me more.”

“There’s been news all over the town,” Soonyoung began, “They say that there’s going to be a reward given to those who can write an autobiography of the city’s wealthiest businessman.”

“Who’s that?” I asked. Soonyoung rolled his eyes. I might have been staying in my room for far too long.

“Kim Mingyu, of course,” he said.

“What I heard, is that there’ll be a lot of money involved,” he continued, “Plus, I heard that Mr Kim had turned down all other authors who went to audition.”

“This could be your chance, Wonwoo,” his eyes lit up too, “This could be the ticket to change your life. Imagine what you can do with the money. You won’t need to write another word after this.”

“No, writing’s my passion, my dream,” I said, “I’ll never stop doing that, no matter what.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” he laughed, “Promise me you’ll give it a try at least?”

I bit my lower lip. I wasn’t sure about this. It looked like such a big step for me.

“I’m not sure if I can do it,” I looked at him.

“Sure you can,” he patted me on the back, “You’re the greatest write I know. I’ve read all your stories.”

“We were just kids back then.”

Soonyoung sighed.

“My point is, I believe in you, Wonwoo,” he said, “You’re going to make this work.”

Hearing his words, I felt a sense of determination building inside of me. I nodded.

“The audition’s everyday morning, the slot’s only open from 10am till noon,” he told me, “Be prepared, my friend.”

“And good luck.”

And with that, he picked up his camera and rushed to work. He bid farewell and left me at the table, pondering on the matter. Everything was so sudden. But this was perfect. The timing was perfect. This was just what I needed right now. And I believed that this could only mean one thing.

Fate.

 

 

~                       ~                        ~

 

 

I never really liked rich people. I mean, can you blame me? All they ever did was look down on people and criticizing them. I’ve had a fair share of that myself. And I expected this one to be no different.

I shrugged off the thought and tried to keep a positive thinking as the elevator approached the floor I was going. I took a deep breath and allowed myself to exhale slowly. This was my first time stepping into such a big building. Soonyoung had offered to accompany me, but I insisted that I could do it on my own. I think I might be starting to regret my decision.

Before I could change my mind and press the elevator floor to ‘lobby’, the door split open with a loud ding. My head shot up and I was greeted by a bright room. A little too bright for my taste. I squinted and scanned the room. As expected, the room was fully furnished with the best furniture. The wall and floor colours matched perfectly. In fact, the whole room was perfection. I was so lost in myself I almost didn’t notice the person standing there. Luckily, he called out my name before I knocked into him.

“Mr Jeon?” his voice sounded soft and soothing, “You’re here for the interview, I presume?”

I turned and saw a man looking at me expectantly. He looked smart with a dark coloured shirt, black pants and matching shoes. He must have been waiting for my answer for too long as he adjusted his glasses and asked again.

“Are you here for the interview?”

Waking up from my trance, I nodded frantically.

“This way, please,” the man said, showing me the way. I followed him without a word.

“I’m Yoon Jeonghan, Mr Kim’s secretary,” he introduced himself.

“You may wait here. He will meet you in a moment,” he showed me to a seat.

“Thank you, Mr Yoon,” I managed to say.

“Do you need a drink or anything?” he asked politely. I shook my head and thanked him again. He nodded curtly and went back to his desk.

I relaxed a little, thanks to Jeonghan. He had been nice to me so far. Maybe it’s time for me to change my perspective on others after all.

Before long, a person came out of the office. He looked…disappointed, like he had just been told that he lost the job. My fear came creeping back. I watched as the man went for the elevator and left.

“Mr Jeon,” the secretary called, “Mr Kim will see you now.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter