0ㄣ ɹǝʇdɐɥƆ

Lotto Love

My brother came screeching into the zoo parking lot. He was driving my car. It was the last thing I needed to see--a visual of how people were using me. When he stopped next to me, I walked around to the driver's side and yanked open the door. 

"Out."

"I thought you'd want to sit in luxury and not in my crappy car."

"You should've asked me."

"I should buy a new car. Or maybe you should buy me a new car.:

"Out," I growled.

Sangmoon got out and I climbed in, so tempted to drive away without him. But I managed to control that temptation. 

"Someone's in a bad mood tonight," Sangmoon said, getting into the passenger seat. "Did you forget you were a multimillionaire? That would keep me happy for years."

"Be honest with me, are you in debt again?" I asked him, ignoring his stupid comments. 

"What do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean. Did you manage to spend a million plus?"

"How much have you spent?"

So that meant yes. I sighed. "I haven't spent all my money, Sangmoon. That's the point." I stomped on th gas, blazing through the parking lot. The feel of the car vibrating beneath me only seemed to fuel my rage. I saw Jimin's car in the rearview mirror and pressed down the pedal even farther.

"Suzy, slow down. You're scaring me."

I did, my eyes filling with tears. I needed to stop crying or I wouldn't be able to drive.

"What happened to you?" he asked.

"I got a huge dose of reality."

"Suzy, don't let this jade you. You're too sweet."

"It's too late, Sangmoon. Way too late."

☘ 𝔏𝔬𝔱𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 ☘

To add ultimate insult to injury, my week ended in the worst way possible. It came in the form of a little white envelope the next day. And inside that envelope were words that ripped out my heart.

We regret to inform you that Busan University has reversed the decision on your application. While your grades and community service have been stellar, our university also prides itself on students with upstanding character. Due to recent events that have been brought to our attention, we feel that you do not fit our standards at this time. Please feel free to reapply in the following calendar year and we will reassess your application.

I read and re-read the letter, trying to make sense of it. While on the surface it seemed like a form letter that many others had probably received, it also felt like a letter that only applied to me. Two things were hanging me up. The line: Reversed the decision. And: Events that have been brought to our attention. Reversed the decision. Did that mean I had been accepted at one point? And if something was brought to their attention, did that mean someone had informed them? Or they had seen the article. Had they seen the article? Were other colleges going to see the article, too?

I quickly pulled up the article on my computer. I hadn't looked at it in a while and in my absence it had blown up. Hundreds of comments. Thousands of shares.

Busan University had seen this article.

A text came through my phone. It was from Jisoo. Our last acceptance letter! Congrats!

It was the first text I'd gotten from Jisoo since our chat at school several days earlier where she accused me of trying to be popular. Was this her way of mending things between us? Or was this her way to make herself feel better about what she'd done? Whatever it was, it was definitely her telling me that she and her upstanding character had gotten into Busan University. My school.

I sent off a group text: Emergency meeting. My house. 30 minutes. 

It was time to stop avoiding them and ask some serious questions.