ᄅㄣ ɹǝʇdɐɥƆ

Lotto Love

I walk into the kitchen, where my parents were still arguing. 

"I'm going to Jisoo's house," I said, over the top of dad's sentence.

They didn't hear me.

Mom said, "Oh, really, you don't spend a lot? What about this necklace?"

Dad let out a heavy sigh.

I raised my hand and said loudly, "I bought that."

They both stopped and looked at me.

"Yeah, hi. I bought the necklace. Dad didn't. I wanted to try to make things better. It obviously made things worse. I learned my lesson. Now stop yelling at dad. At least for something he didn't do."

My mom leaned against the counter, her fight obviously gone.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," Dad said to Mom. 

I wasn't sure if Mom was shocked over his apology or my admission, but she stood there for a long time in silence. Finally she said, "We need counseling or I don't think this can work."

"I agree," Dad said.

For the second time, Mom looked shocked. Like she'd expected him to argue that point.

"I also need to find a job," Dad said. "We're home too much together."

"You can't handle being around me?" she asked.

"Didn't we both just admit to that?"

Round two was about to commence. "I'm going to Jisoo's," I repeated, ready to escape. "But I agree with the counseling decision if you're taking votes."

And just like that, Mom laughed. Dad followed. And I left the house with a smile.

☘ 𝔏𝔬𝔱𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔬𝔳𝔢 ☘

When Jisoo answered her front door, she had a pencil in her hair and held a laptop with one hand.

"You couldn't even put it down to answer the door?" I said.

"Nope. There is no rest for the . . ." She paused, searching for a word.

"Overworked? Sleep-deprived? College-bound?" I offered as suggestions. 

"All of the above?"

"Let me in. I have an announcement."

"An announcement?" She pushed the door open  wider and I slide inside. 

"I've made a decision."

"That's cause to celebrate."

I smacked her arm, took the laptop away from her, and set it on her entryway table. Then I led her to the couch in the front room. "I'm going to Seoul University with you."

She screamed so loud I had to cover my ears. Then she smashed me into a hug. "What? I thought the second you told me you wanted to be with Jimin that this was over. What happened? Why?"

"I've just been thinking about it and you're right, I can't control my family, I have to let them work things out . . . or not. And I can't control every aspect of my life either. I've wanted to go to Seoul University but I've been scared of the unknown. I'm ready to face some fears now."

She smiled. "I am so happy."

"Me too."

"Speaking of facing fears, have you talked to Jimin yet? Told him how you feel?"

"No, I haven't. I'm going to. I hope he can forgive me."

"He'll be fine. That boy is smitten."

"I hope so."

"And what about Irene?" she asked. "Have you talked to her?"

I sighed. "No. What about you?"

"No. I think I'm madder at her than you are."

I smiled. "I don't know about that. Maybe if she apologizes, I'll think about it."

"She hasn't even apologized yet?"

"No, I think she's more concerned about her new popular friends liking her than me."

Jisoo squeezed my hand. "I'm sorry."

"Me too. But I've always known she was searching for something. For who she is. For who she wants to be. I think that's hard."

"You're too nice of a person," Jisoo said. "But I know what you mean. I'm glad you've found some peace over it."

"I really have."

"Now go tell Boyfriend your plans," Jisoo said.

"He's not Boyfriend yet."

"He will be soon."