8ᄅ ɹǝʇdɐɥƆ

Lotto Love

Monday morning I learned the true meaning of the words pop quiz. It wasn't that I hadn't known the meaning before. But it had never mattered to me because I had always been prepared. Always being prepared meant a quiz had never caught me off guard. But on Monday, as I sat down in History class, I wasn't prepared. So I felt that panic other people must've felt all the time when starting at the surprise questions on the page in front of me. Questions a little bit of studying would've helped me easily answer. I fumbled my way through each one, vowing to go home that afternoon and study all my subjects for an hour each just in case another teacher decide to take  advantage of my recent distractions.

It's just a quiz, I told myself, too keep at bay the panicked thoughts racing through my head. It would not have that much bearing on my overall grade. I took every minute of class to go over the questions and answers. When the bell rang, I was forced to turn it in, not sure how I fared, I'd never not been sure.

At lunchtime, I ran into Jennie on my way to the library. "Come off campus with us for food," she said.

"But it's a closed campus."

She laughed. "And? It's lunch. We'll be back for sixth period."

"Do you do this a lot?"

"Almost every day."

I pointed to the library. "My friends are in there and I really need to study. I'm falling behind."

"Okay. Have fun."

I headed off, but a thorough search of the library produced no friends. I shot off a text: Where is everyone?

Jisoo got back first with: Grading tests for Mr. Song.

I cringed. This meant Jisoo would see my awful quiz score I would. Maybe it wouldn't be as awful as I thought.

I have a lunch meeting, Irene texted back next.

I sighed, then quickly hitched my bag up higher on my shoulder and rushed out to the parking lot. Jennie and a group of her friends were piling into a big SUV. I hightailed it across the parking lot.

"Is there room for me?" I asked.

Jennie smiled. "You changed your mind? No studying for you?"

"I'll study after school. My friends all had other things to do."

"Lucky for us."

The rest of the group greeted me and I pulled the door shut. Kwon Jiyong, also known as G-Dragon, was driving. I was in the same car as G-Dragon, the most popular guy at our school. The car was actually full of University High royalty-Dong Youngbae, Sandara Park, Lee Chaerin. I felt completely out of place.

G-Dragon backed out of his spot and approach the exit. This was the part I was curious about. There were teachers stationed at every exit. I had no idea how they made it past them everyday.

"Hey, Mrs. Lee," G-Dragon said after rolling down his window.

"Hey, Jiyong," she said. "Another group's appointment?" Mrs. Lee said like she was making up an excuse for him. Like she was providing the lie.

"Yup," G-Dragon said.

"Don't be late to sixth."

"Never."

And as easy as that, we drove off of our closed campus.

"That was educational," I said. "How did you get Mrs. Lee to do your bidding?"

"We're on the student council. She's our mentor teacher," Jennie said. "This is one of the perks."

"Who knew that becoming a politician started as early as high school student government?" I said out loud. Everyone in the car laughed, even thought I knew what I'd said wasn't that funny.

As we stood in the long line at Café Winner, Youngbae said, "You should buy your own Café Winner restaurant and only let us come to it, Suzy. Then we'd never have to stand in line again."

I snorted. I could write a book about all the crazy ways people had advised me to spend my money. "I'll think about it," I told Youngbae.

"So," Jennie said, when we sat down with our trays. "Have you come up with an answer to my question?"

"What question?" G-Dragon asked.

"I asked Suzy if she couldn't save a penny of her money, how would she spent it."

"Ooh, good question," Youngbae said. "And?" He looked at me expectantly. Maybe he thought I was serious about his Café Winner plan.

"I don't know." I was trying to  figure out what I wanted in a lot of different areas right now.

Jennie raised her cup in the air. "To figuring out what we want in life."

If only it were that easy. We all tapped our soda cups together.