Chapter 7

One Month Later In My Dreams

 

As soon as Onew sat down in the chair next to me, he turned. “Did you get question eight on the quiz? The one about the photosystems?”

I shook my head. “I guessed that is was the electron transport chain.”

“Oh good.” He sat back, a relieved look on his face. “So did I.”

I smiled. “That quiz was hard, wasn’t it? And there was so many I didn’t know.”

“I know right? I swear he expected us to read the whole book instead of just chapter 17.” He shook his head and grinned at me. “We should hold a protest next time.”

I laughed. “Well, if you ever start one, you can count me in behind you.”

As we turned forward as our choir teacher played the tuning note, I couldn’t help but feel friendlier. It had been a long time since I talked to Onew for more than a question and answer.

On the bus, I felt a tap on my shoulder, and turned around.

“Hey.” Key leaned forward, a hand under his chin as he rested his head on the top of my seat. “Is Jeanine mad at me?”

“I guess. She’s kinda pissed that you rejected her. What did you say?”

He shrugged. “I just said I couldn’t go to the dance with her. And now she’s giving me glares every time I glance at her.”

I blinked. Wow, that was harsh. If I got rejected by a guy, I would just avoid him like he had the plague because I didn’t want to think about him. “That .”

“Do all girls do that?”

“Nah.” I shook my head. “I would never think of doing that. Maybe I would think you as a jerk for a day or two, but you have the right to say no.”

“That’s exactly my point!” He flipped his hair out of his eyes. “Like, I had so much pressure from her proposal, and now she treats me like I murdered her parents.”

I laughed. “That’s exactly how she looks like when she’s mad.”

“Yeah, I know.” Key sat back and stared outside.

I watched him. “You know, in middle school, a bunch of girls liked you, right?”

He blinked. “Really?”

I shrugged. “I know that everyone in my friend group had a crush on you except for me, no offense.”

“None taken.” He shook his head. “Wow. I mean, I knew probably a few girls who liked him, but still…”

I shrugged again. “I wouldn’t know how that feels like. I just thought you should know.”

“Great. See ya later.” He stood up to get off at his stop.

“See ya.” I watch him walk off the bus, his highlights glowing underneath the sunlight, and shook my head. Although to others his moves may be by a God, I could only see him another guy trying to get through life in high school.