Chapter 1

One Month Later In My Dreams

 

“Oh my gawd, you HAVE to go with Onew!” Jeanine sat down with a huge grin on her face.

I blinked. “What are you talking about?” Our history teacher had ended class early, allowing us to chat around with other kids. Unfortunately, I was trying to read a book I’ve been dying to read since I got it for Christmas, and the noise wasn’t helping. I put it down with a sigh and devoted full attention to her.

“Sadie Hawkins.” She tucked her chin-length red hair behind her ear. “You should totally ask him! It’ll be SO MUCH FUN, Sonya.”

I shook my head. “What made you think of that CRAZY idea? Have you forgotten last homecoming, where I was the ONLY one dancing and looking crazy?” I remembered how I even hung around with Jonghyun and Onew. They were just standing around, blending with the crowd.

“Come on guys! Why can’t you have fun?” I shouted over the music as I found a beat to groove to.

They just shrugged and smiled.

I sighed inside. I probably looked awful, which is why they shrugged as a response. And let’s face it-none of the music at homecoming was even remotely good. Just beats.

Then again, most people were grinding. Ugh. Come on guys, you can do that in your hotel room, not in school where a bunch of your teachers are supervising the whole event.

“But it’ll be fun this time, since you’ll be with a guy! Let’s face it-Onew isn’t that bad, isn’t he?”

“No…”

“Exactly, and he’s smart, so he’s perfect for a nerd like you!” Jeanine popped in a fry. “Come on, you can ask him!”

“No I will not! We barely even know each other! It’s just going to be awkward the whole time. And plus, dances are NEVER fun as you promise they will be. Give me a break.”

“Come on. You don’t like anyone anymore don’t you?”

Taemin popped into my head as I bit my lip. The last three months, I had a crush on him. We both liked the same kind of music, and he was flawless in his dancing.

But, he belonged to a different group than I was in. Sure, he did his school work and moaned about B’s, but he only cared about academic stuff for college. For him, his passion was dance and photography, two things I appreciated but didn’t share the passion for. We used to share jokes and exchange smiles. Now he barely even looked at me, and I pronounced myself over him a month ago, even though I still glanced at him now and then with longing.

And then last week…

“Ready to go Dad?”

“Almost Sonya.” My dad took out the last few items in the shopping cart and slid them over the scanner.

I turned to see Taemin walk in with a blonde girl, arm in arm. I froze.

He turned and saw me, and waved. I gave him a nod before I could start thinking again.

I blinked and bagged the last few items. As my dad placed the bag in the cart, I sneaked a peek.

They were holding hands, browsing the fruit section.

“Okay, Sonya, I’m ready.” My dad pushed the cart away from the checkout counter, looked at me expectantly.

All I could do was nod and follow him outside. The next few mornings, I could see him hand in hand with that girl, Teardrops on my Guitar playing in my ears.

While I was crushing hard on Taemin, I had felt a little towards Onew. When he had a full conversation with me and Jeanine about the football game.

Then again, Jeanine could make anyone talk. They shared one more class than I had with them, which was English. Me, I just became shy around shy people. Somehow I was a chameleon for feelings and personalities sometimes.

Not to mention he was a genius in science. I like playing around with math. As much as you want to think those two subjects are really similar, they’re not. Sure science needs math and stuff for calculations, logic, and theorems, especially in physics, but you don’t need to know the different types of macromolecules and elements of a periodic table for math.

“Sonya! SONYA! Hello, earth to Sonya!” I blinked as Jeanine snapped in front of my face. “Jeez girl, where did you go?”

“Sorry. Thinking about middle school days. So you were saying…?”

“The Sadie Hawkins Dance. Do you think Key will say yes?” She bit her nail.

“You’ll never know until you ask. Quit worrying, it’s in March.” The bell rang and I stood up. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”