CH. X

three time's the charm (3jin au)

 

CH. X

 

Thursday night found the entirety of Enozi High packed into the stadium, the colours of white and blue streaked across their faces with matching scarves, gloves and other accessories adorning their bodies. Mirroring them were strangers from a different school, this time with green and yellow garments. 

 

The only difference between the two schools (either than their colors) was the fact that one school was happier than the other. Much much happier. 

 

‘Tonight’s MVP is awarded to non-other than the winning team, Enozi High’s, very own captain!’ 

 

The sentence caused all the students of Enozi High to break out into cheers, watching as one of their beloved girls walked towards the podium, a bright dimpled smile on her face. 

 

The rest of the beloved trio of girls were sitting in the bleachers, cheering and whooping just a little bit louder than the people next to them. 

 

‘Whoop whoop! Go, Ahn Yujin!’ 

 

‘That’s my baby girl!’ 

 

Enozi High’s cheerleaders were shaking their poms poms around, jumping together in time to a short cheer while Yujin made her way across the court. The newly recruited cheerleaders were gushing over the junior while those in Yujin’s grade and above were smiling proudly at their fellow classmate. 

 

One cheerleader in particular momentarily forgot to join into her cheerleading duties because she was too busy standing to the side with a soft smile on her face, her eyes never leaving Yujin’s while she shook the referee’s hand. One could even say she was in a slight daze. 

 

Half an hour later, after politely receiving the compliments from her teammates and onlookers of the game and quickly rinsing herself off in the showers, Yujin made her way out to the emptying stadium, ready to meet with Hyunjin and Ryujin for their tradition. After any of them had a game, especially a successful game, they would go out somewhere for dinner. The two who didn’t play were the ones who were in charge of the bill. Yujin had a strange suspicion she was going to be taken out for fried chicken, seeing how Hyunjin had been talking about craving it earlier that day. 

 

As she left the locker rooms, she was met with a sight that made her heart skip a beat. 

 

‘Oh, hey.’ Yujin froze slightly in her tracks. She shyly adjusted her bag strap as the person waiting for her offered her an equally as sheepish grin. ‘W-were you waiting for me, Wonyoung?’ 

 

Wonyoung was still in her cheerleading uniform, her own duffel bag also slung around her shoulders. 

 

‘I…’ Wonyoung trailed off, her cheeks slightly blushing. She took a look at Yujin who was staring at her expectantly. Wonyoung shook her head, chuckling to herself. ‘... yeah. There’s no point denying it, isn’t there?’ 

 

‘Yeah.’ Yujin smiled, knowing full well of Wonyoung’s feelings. ‘You can’t hide anymore.’ 

 

Wonyoung cutely scrunched up her nose. ‘Yeah, whatever. Are you doing anything tonight? I know a place that’s open ‘til late and they make the best congee.’ 

 

There was a pause as Wonyoung regained her senses. 

 

‘You know, cause like, you still o-owe me for the ice cream.’ 

 

Yujin just rose one eyebrow playfully at Wonyoung’s comment. 

 

‘I’d love to, but me and Hyunjin and Ryujin have this tradition thingy that we do after our games. But, you can come with us if you want?’ Yujin said, an innocent smile on her face. 

 

‘Jang Wonyoung!’ A figure suddenly barged in next to Yujin. ‘Fancy seeing you here.’ 

 

Yujin didn’t have to turn to see that it was Ryujin. If she couldn’t tell by her voice she could tell by the way the small figure had tiptoed to try and throw an arm around her shoulders. She knew she couldn’t reach it and yet she tried every single time. Yujin was nice enough to bend a tiny bit, just so that Ryujin could succeed. 

 

‘Can you give us a second?’ Ryujin said. Then she ruffled Yujin’s hair slightly. ‘We just need to talk to our Yujinnie real quick.’ 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung exchanged a look, both equally as confused as the other. 

 

‘Don’t worry, we won’t be long.’ Hyunjin cheekily reassured Wonyoung. 

 

Ryujin led Yujin off a few steps away, turning their back to Wonyoung. It was then that she flicked Yujin’s forehead. 

 

‘Ow!’ Yujin winced, holding the spot that Ryujin had hit. 

 

‘Are you crazy?’ Ryujin whisper-yelled at Yujin. 

 

‘Me?’ Yujin said in the same tone, ‘you’re the one that hit me!’ 

 

‘Because you’re being stupid!’ Ryujin said. 

 

‘What did I do?’ 

 

Hyunjin and Ryujin sighed. 

 

‘Wonyoung is asking you out on a date and you’re telling her to hang out with us instead!’ Hyunjin said. ‘Forget about us for tonight, we can hang out other times!’ 

 

Ryujin nodded. ‘Accept her date!’ 

 

‘B-but it’s our tradition.’ Yujin pouted. ‘We never break it.’ 

 

Hyunjin and Ryujin both melted at Yujin’s sad face. How could they resist their baby? 

 

‘We can go out for fried chicken tomorrow night.’ Hyunjin pat Yujin’s shoulder to assure her. ‘Or the night after that. Or whenever.’ 

 

‘Yeah!’ Ryujin rubbed at Yujin’s cheek with the back of her hand. ‘Don’t fret.’ 

 

Yujin brightened up slightly. ‘Really?’ 

 

Hyunjin nodded. Then she slapped Yujin’s slightly, turning around to gesture towards Wonyoung who was trying her best not to make it look like she was eavesdropping on their conversation. To be fair, they were talking fairly loudly and the stadium echoed a lot. 

 

‘Go on your congee date.’ Hyunjin said, pushing Yujin slightly in Wonyoung’s direction. 

 

Ryujin and Hyunjin watched as Wonyoung rolled her eyes at Yujin and gestured for her to follow, in which Yujin did, trailing behind her like an obedient puppy. Lately, Wonyoung’s attitude towards Yujin had lost all bite because all of them knew that she could never be truly angry at Yujin and that she had the biggest soft spot for the volleyball player. 

 

Suddenly, Yujin stopped Wonyoung in their tracks and gestured towards her cheerleading uniform. Wonyoung just shook her head in response to whatever Yujin said and kept walking. However, Yujin quickly grabbed her varsity jacket, running to catch up to Wonyoung and place it over her shoulders. 

 

Hyunjin and Ryujin watched the entire exchange in awe. 

 

‘I’m so proud of her.’ Ryujin said, wiping an imaginary tear from her eye. ‘Getting the girl and being all happy and soft. I always knew she’d be the first of us all to get a girlfriend.’ 

 

Ryujin thought for a moment before winking at Hyunjin. ‘At least, a girlfriend that she’s actually serious about.’ 

 

Hyunjin had to keep her eyes trained on Wonyoung and Yujin in order not to react too suspiciously to Ryujin’s comment. 

 

‘You’re not serious about Heejin?’ Hyunjin said. 

 

Ryujin shrugged. ‘She’s pretty and smart and fun, alright. But, I’m not really looking for anything serious with her.’ 

 

‘As expected of you.’ Hyunjin punched Ryujin’s shoulder lightly. 

 

However, as they walked to their car, Hyunjin had to try her best to hide the frown on her face. 

 

……………………………

 

‘It’s been awhile.’ 

 

It was near lunchtime at Enozi High and Hyunjin and Ryujin were chilling in the almost empty library. Both girls had a free period and usually they would be using it up by playing some sort of sport or anything competitive with each other. Yujin liked to say that she was the reason for any conversation among the three of them, whenever Yujin wasn’t there Hyunjin and Ryujin barely had proper conversations, they’d either just chill next to each other in comfortable silence or find something new to compete in. However, since it was so cold and the grass was a little bit icy, Ryujin and Hyunjin opted to chill in the library while waiting for Yujin’s last class of the day to finish. 

 

Currently, the two were casually strolling the hallways of the school, taking the long route to Yujin’s locker. There were still a few minutes until dismissal, anyways, but Ryujin and Hyunjin were tired of sitting in the quiet library. 

 

‘Been awhile since, what?’ Hyunjin asked, kicking slightly at a fallen pencil on the ground. 

 

Ryujin sighed dramatically as she threw an arm around Hyunjin’s shoulders, the latter squirming a little bit to get her to stop touching her. 

 

‘Since Yujin’s hung out with us, of course! I’m happy she’s having some success with her love life, believe me, but I miss our Vitamin C. Our human sun. Our puppy.’ Ryujin went on, ‘the girl who makes my heart happy whenever I have to look at your brooding poker face.’ 

 

Ryujin stood in front of Hyunjin, making the latter girl stop in her tracks. 

 

‘Come on, cool girl, let’s see a smile.’ 

 

Hyunjin remained stoic, unimpressed at Ryujin’s request before sidestepping to continue walking ahead. 

 

‘Has anyone told you that you’re prettier when you smile?’ Ryujin continued to best friend, bringing her hands to Hyunjin’s face to try and manipulate Hyunjin’s lips into a smile. ‘Smile, Captain Kim. I’m sure if you tried hard enough you could recreate Yujin’s dimples.’ 

 

‘I’m sure if you tried hard enough your breath would smell a lot less like garlic.’ Hyunjin scrunched up her nose at Ryujin’s close proximity. 

 

‘Says the girl who looks like she shampoos twice a week.’ Ryujin said, removing her hands from Hyunjin’s face with the same expression Hyunjin was giving her. ‘You’re such a damn Hippie, I won’t be surprised if you get a tattoo and some dreads.’ 

 

‘A tattoo? Definitely, in the future but dreads? No ma’am. No thank you. I am Korean, I have no business wearing dreads.’

 

‘Wait, you actually want to get a tattoo?’ Ryujin raised an eyebrow. ‘I was only joking but hell yeah! I say go for it! What kind of tattoo do you want?’ 

 

Suddenly, Hyunjin felt a rush of deja vu. Has she had this conversation before? 

 

‘Why are you looking at me like that?’ Ryujin said, peering inquisitively at Hyunjin’s expression. 

 

‘Didn’t we talk about this the other day? Or am I tripping?’ Hyunjin said. 

 

Ryujin pursed her lips, thinking. After a few moments, she finally said, ‘nope, not that I recall.’ 

 

Ryujin paused for a second. 

 

‘Maybe it was with Yujin.’ Ryujin said. 

 

Hyunjin made an ‘o’ shape with her lips, the memories finally clicking. Yeah, she was talking about that at the gym with Yujin a few days ago while Ryujin had to go buy them snacks since she lost the push up challenge. 

 

‘Oh, you’re right.’ Hyunjin said. ‘Yeah, it was with Yujin.’ 

 

‘Figured.’ 

 

Hyunjin took a sip of water while Ryujin started to randomly stretch her arms. 

 

‘I wanted birds on my shoulder.’ 

 

‘Ah.’ 

 

A beat of silence passed through the two of them while they looked around the library. Kim Minjoo was casually strolling through the library and gazing at all of the books, running a finger over books with particularly pretty binding. Usually, Ryujin or Hyunjin would have found a way to start talking to her. Actually, Ryujin did try to talk to her but Hyunjin informed her of Minjoo’s ongoing dating status with Kim Chaewon. Apparently they weren’t just a school trip fling. 

 

‘I get what you mean though, I really do miss Yujin whenever she isn't here.’ Hyunjin finally said when Minjoo pulled out a book to skim through it. Then she shot a glare at Ryujin. ‘Don’t you dare tell her that.’ 

 

‘Don’t have to, I’m sure she already knows. You don’t hide your blatant favoritism for her.’ 

 

‘Yujin is my offspring. Of course she’s my favorite.’ 

 

Ryujin just rolled her eyes with a small ‘pfft’. 

 

‘Besides, at least she doesn’t smell like garlic breath.’ 

 

‘Kim Hyunjin, I’m convinced you just hate me. I do nothing and you’re always out here insulting me.’ 

 

‘Maybe I do hate you.’ 

 

‘And that’s your loss. Everyone else likes me so your opinion is irrelevant.’ 

 

‘You claim everyone likes you and you can’t even get a girlfriend, yet. Even Yujin got one before you.’ 

 

‘First of all, Yujin technically doesn’t have a girlfriend… yet. Secondly, I can get a girlfriend if I want to! Thank you very much.’ 

 

‘Like Heejin?’ 

 

‘Yes!’ 

 

‘Then how come you guys aren’t dating, yet?’ 

 

Ryujin pursed her lips. 

 

‘Um,’ Ryujin said, ‘ always happened. I’m telling you, the next time I see her, we’re going to plan our date.’ 

 

‘Oh. So, you mean right now?’ 

 

That got Ryujin faltering a little bit in her tracks. 

 

‘Oh, hey, you two.’ said none other than the Heejin in question, seeming surprised to see them. 

 

Even Hyunjin was a little bit surprised at seeing Heejin. Not because she had caught her off guard, but because Heejin was looking extra cute today. 

 

Casual Heejin always seemed to go for a blend of hip hop and skater girl street fashion, a comfortable but cool kind of vibe. Of course, Hyunjin was always living for that. But something about Heejin looking all dainty and soft in her uniform was sending Hyunjin’s heart into a flurry. Maybe it was the fact that Heejin was in a ponytail. 

 

That’s probably why she didn’t wave at the girl along with Ryujin, instead opting for a slight eyebrow raise in acknowledgement. She pretended she didn’t see Heejin’s slightly disappointed expression, a look Hyunjin had grown accustomed to these past few of weeks. 

 

Or maybe it was the fact that Heejin’s eyes seemed to land and linger on hers first, before moving to gaze at her friend next to her. 

 

‘I didn’t know you wore glasses, Miss Heejin.’ Ryujin said when they had walked a little bit closer. 

 

Those same eyes that shone during the night was now behind the round frame of what were round spectacles atop Heejin’s nose. Ryujin’s comment had caused Heejin to sub-consciously bring a hand up to push the specs further up and Hyunjin swore her heart skipped a beat. 

 

‘I usually wear contacts but I accidentally dropped them in the toilet yesterday.’ Heejin said, a sheepish look on her face. 

 

‘A pity, but hey, you look cute in your glasses.’ Ryujin said. 

 

‘You think so?’ Heejin said and Hyunjin swore she saw Heejin’s eyes flit to the side to gaze at Hyunjin for a millisecond before returning to Ryujin’s. 

 

‘One-hundred percent.’ Ryujin said, moving her fingers to make an ‘okay’ gesture.’ 

 

Then the corner of her lip curled up slightly. 

 

‘To be honest, it’s making me really want to reschedule that date.’ 

 

Hyunjin had to stop herself from reacting, opting to pretend to scroll through important things on her phone. 

 

‘Of course you do.’ Heejin just shook her head. ‘I swear, every conversation with you goes like: date this, date that, are you coming to soccer practice since our games don’t start until next Semester? They always say, hey girl instead of how are you doing, girl?’ 

 

Hyunjin had to hold in her chuckle. 

 

‘I can always ask you how you’re doing during our date.’ Ryujin said. ‘That’s the whole point of a date, right, Hyunjin?’ 

 

Hyunjin flinched a little bit when she felt Ryujin nudge her slightly in the ribs. 

 

Hyunjin just gave her shoulder a couple pats. ‘You’re just annoying.’ 

 

‘Unbelievable.’ Ryujin shoved her playfully. 

 

Ryujin turned her attention back to Heejin. 

 

‘Well fine, how are you, girl?’ Ryujin said in the same tone that Heejin said, causing a slight chuckle to escape from Heejin. ‘Please, tell me about your day.’ 

 

Before Heejin could answer, Minjoo made her way up to them. 

 

‘Heejin! Thank God you’re here. If you’re not busy do you think you could help me with the Japanese homework?’ 

 

Heejin raised an eyebrow. ‘Isn’t that due after lunch?’ 

 

Minjoo chuckled sheepishly, earning a sigh and shake of the head from Heejin. 

 

Suddenly, Hyunjin sat up straighter. 

 

‘We had homework?’ 

 

Heejin and Minjoo nodded.

 

‘You didn’t do it?’ Heejin said, smiling softly at Hyunjin. ‘I can help you work on it during lunch, if you want?’ 

 

To Heejin, Ryujin and Minjoo, Hyunjin only hesitated for a couple seconds at Heejin’s question. Maybe even less. It seemed like a normal pause that anyone would have. To them, Hyunjin could have been thinking whether or not she had lunchtime plans or not.

 

However to Hyunjin, in just those two seconds it felt like her head had gone on a trip around the world and back. Almost as if she had floated through the skies at an incredible speed, making her stomach turn inside out. 

 

Heejin didn’t even have to do anything. She was just so gorgeous in Hyunjin’s eyes and she had sent her senses into overdrive. Hyunjin had to quickly calm herself down. 

 

‘Uh, it’s okay.’ Hyunjin said, sparing a glance at Ryujin. ‘But, thank you, though.’ 

 

Hyunjin coughed slightly. 

 

‘I’m gonna go to Yujin’s locker.’ Hyunjin said. ‘See you guys around.’ 

 

As she was walking away, she didn’t have to turn around to see Heejin’s inquisitive eyes watching her leave. 

 

………………………………….

 

A/N: *nervous chuckle* long time no see... 

Sorry this took really really really long. I just wasn't feeling inspired to write this at all. I'm hoping that now that uni has started up I'd be able to write more because instead of procrastinating this, I will be writing this AU to procrastinate my actual uni work!! 

Anyways, sorry to Ryuryeong stans that Chaeryeong isn't here, the chapter was getting too long and I wanted to post something as soon as I could anyways! 

Aren't Annyeongz adorable? I love their dynamic of bossy, grumpy girl and her wholesome girlfriend who follows everything she does with a smile. Also, Ryujin and Hyunjin are kinda getting on my nerves.... Hyunjin stop being so stubborn and Ryujin stop being so uncommited!!

SPECIAL MENTION TO @gingerworkz ON TWITTER!! Thank you for always being my friend who pesters me every now and again to keep writing this fic. Honestly, I've been planning on giving up on it but she has kept encouraging me to keep writing it! She's the one who made the really pretty cover art for this fic!! Go send her a lot of love!! (She's also making a webtoon for my other Annyeongz fic 'Color Outside the Lines'. You should definitely check that out too!