Apart

Allegra

          The next day, I'm brushing my teeth in the bathroom when my roommate Heejung who arrived less than an hour ago suddenly barges in. "Did you get a modeling job?"

          "Huh?" I furrow my brows. "I did one for my school promotion..."

          "School?" Heejung clutches her phone. "Then are you dating?"

          The wrinkle in my forehead goes deeper. "What's with the next question?"

          She shows me her phone screen, and my eyes widen. It's a photo of me and Chanyeol at Ahyeon's wedding, posted on a social media page. I click at the profile, and the account belongs to Chanyeol. "Oh my God."

          "Who is this?!"

          "He—" I go back and forth the application, making sure it's not edited or something. "He's—a friend."

          The caption is only a single grinning emoji, and I scan the comments. Most of them are just surprised or amazed exclaims from his friends, and one says "Isn't it the tall girl from Korean Lit?"

          "What is this? How did this happen? My, you look so pretty, you two match well!" Heejung takes back her phone and fawns over the photo. "I found this on my explore page, I thought I saw it wrong..."

          I bite my toothbrush, and blink. Why would Chanyeol upload this? "Haha... It was from Miyeon's sister's wedding. We... Somehow took that photo."

          "He totally likes you.”

          "What?"

          "He wouldn't have posted this for no reason! Do you like him too?”

          I slowly continue brushing, and shrugs. “Too early to tell.”

          “Man… You’d be a hit couple at school.” Heejung shrieks, and I shake my head. “How tall is he? Judging from the photo, I think I’m half his height.”

          I recall yesterday’s moment where I stood next to him while brushing our teeth, and I touch the top of the mirror in front of me. “I think… About this?”

          Heejung emptily stares. “Man, I’m already imagining how tall your children would be… Anyway, I hope you two would go well! You two seem to be in the early stage.”

          I raise my eyebrows. If only she knew that Chanyeol had even visited this house, in this very bathroom.

          I remember our talk yesterday about hanging out and be there for each other, and secretly smile.

          Thinking about him makes me happy.

*

          Even though we only meet at school in the following days, I’m keeping in touch with Chanyeol through texts, and he informed me that her sister loved the bracelet. She also sent me a personal message to thank me, and I smile reading it. The energy must run in the family.

          During a break, Chanyeol and I are drinking coffee on the bench under the tree near my faculty when he suddenly groans. “I’m going to start practicing again. It’s match season soon.”

          “Whoa.” I turn to see him. “So can I see you in court soon?”

          “It’s still in a couple of months, though.” he weakly laughs. “I wouldn’t be able to hang out much. I wouldn’t even get to be on my phone often.”

          My smile fades. “Ah.”

          After that, I really haven’t been able to meet him again. There are hardly any messages, and it suddenly gets empty for me.

          I’m finishing a few Allegra orders one night when my phone beeps, and I grab it with a fluttering heart, anticipating it to be from someone. I frown when the sender is someone I didn’t predict.

          It’s Jaehan, sending me a screenshot of my school’s website that shows quite a big photo of me as a basketball player.

 

My little sister is a model now, huh?

I saw this by chance. I also showed it to Mom. She said nothing though.

 

          "Then why are you telling me this?" I talk to myself and grit my teeth. I didn't expect anything, but somehow I don't feel good.

          I look at our chat history, and saw that the last time we messaged each other was over a year ago after Jaehan delivered some of my stuff to this apartment after I moved out.

          I sigh, and throw my phone to the bed after sending a short "Okay then.".

          I take the printed brochure and look at myself in the photo, emptily scanning the basketball clothes. I’m reminded of someone, and suddenly I can’t focus.

*

          The next day, I finished late at school and meet Siwoo on the way to the main gate. He gives me a teasing smile as soon as he sees me. “Hey there, Jia.”

          “What’s with that face?” I ask.

          “I was with Chanyeol. He just started practicing.”

          I clear my throat. “Oh.”

          “You two must not meet often these days. You can see him a bit now if you’re lucky.”

          I thank Siwoo, and go to the basketball court. The door is still open. I’m holding a drink in one hand and hide it behind my back, intending to give it to Chanyeol. If I can.

          I see the team members warming up, and spot Chanyeol’s curly hair. I have no courage to go inside—I probably shouldn’t.

          Chanyeol turns around, and he spots me. I shyly wave at him. he looks startled, and run to the door. “What are you doing here?”

          "Ah, I just want to give you this..." I hand him the drink.

          "Thank you so much." Chanyeol says, but his face looks a bit reluctant. "Um, Jia, to be honest my coach is quite strict and he doesn't want anyone else other than team players to be seen near the court. He’s coming in any minute. I'm really sorry."

          "Oh." I blink. "Well... Then... I'll get going. Good luck and be healthy."

          Chanyeol nods, and gives me an apologetic smile. My feet feel too heavy to lift, and I let out every drop of strength I have to drag myself from there. I don’t want to leave.

          "I'll text you later!" Chanyeol shouts as I'm about to turn to a corridor. I nod and force myself to smile, trying to hide my disappointment.

          As soon as nobody is around, the sides of my mouth go down and my heart is weighty. I can't even meet him in peace.

          Nothing makes me happy nowadays.

*

          A few days pass, and there's no word from Chanyeol. I wanted to text first, but I'm afraid I'd disturb his practice. I decide to do it later but it’s slowly frustrating me.

          It’s Friday night, and Heejung is preparing to go home. “You’re not going anywhere?” she asks.

          “I think I’m going out tomorrow.”

          “With that guy?”

          I shoot her a look. “No. He’s busy practicing.”

          I’m hugging my knees on the sofa, and inaudibly exhale. Is Chanyeol still practicing? Is he eating well?

          I’m looking at my phone emptily, so tempted to contact him. Maybe I’ll just send him an encouraging message…

          A notification pops out, and I almost drop my phone.

 

Jia, have you eaten? Do you want to eat dinner with me?

 

          Before I could reply, I jump off from the sofa and dash to my bedroom. Heejung looks at me strangely. “What’s happening?”

          “Nothing.” I answer. I hurriedly look at my wardrobe, choosing what I can probably wear. I find nothing. I think of what to reply first, and send a short “Sure. What do you want to eat?”

          I walk out from my bedroom, and Heejung is ready to go out and looking at me strangely. “What’s wrong with you?”

          I shake my head. Heejung furrows her brows, and lifts her bag. “Anyway. I’ll get going.”

          “Okay. Be careful on the way.”

          She heads to the entrance, but her steps halted after she opened the door. She’s seen looking up to something.

          “Uh, Jia… I think someone’s here to see you.”

          I clench my fists, and slowly walk to the door. There he is, the sender of the message, wrapped in a hoodie and training pants, with a gym bag slung over his shoulders.

          “Hi, Jia.” Chanyeol greets me with a tired smile, and my mouth parts a bit.