Finger

Allegra

          My head is dizzy with all the rocking, and I pat his back in panic. “Wait, wait, wait!”

          “The clinic—is it this way?” the guy slows down, but not stopping. “It should be near here—”

          I close my eyes in despair. What should I call him? I don’t know his name. “Hello? Sir?” I poke him repeatedly again. “Can you let me down? I’m perfectly okay!”

          He finally looks down to me, and stops. We’re in the middle of a hallway, and I’m so glad it’s a Saturday.

          “Please… Let me… Down.”

          He complies, and carefully puts my feet down first. I head to the nearest waiting chair, and sit. He hurriedly approaches, and gets on one knee. “Are you really okay?”

          Running sounds are heard, and Yeji appears from the basketball court’s direction. “Jia sunbae!” she’s bringing my phone, looking worried. “Oh no…”

          “I’m good.” I tell them both as I take my phone. It’s not cracked, thankfully. “Now let’s just go back—”

          “But you fell hard! Are you sure you’re not hurting?” the guy’s big eyes locked on me in concern.

          I exhale quietly. This isn’t going to end soon. I signal to Yeji to leave first, and she steps back hesitantly. As she walks away, I blink and look at the guy, still on his knee. “Um… What’s your name?”

          “Park Chanyeol. Business Administration, batch 53.”

          “Ah…” I nod. He must be the same age as me. “So… I’m fine. Really. I was at fault as well for being on my phone back then. Please don’t feel bad.”

          I clutch my phone, and suddenly feel a stinging pain. I glance at my right hand, and see my pinky finger reddened, slightly swollen. It was the part that got hit by the door. I swallow. I just said I’m fine, though.

          “So, what I’m saying is—” I open my mouth again. “Let’s just go back and change.”

          I feel the finger twitching, and I grit my teeth. Oh no, just when I received orders… I hope it gets better quickly.

          Park Chanyeol looks at me doubtfully, and scans me. “I’m so sorry. Please tell me how to redeem myself.”

          “What?” I furrow my brows. “No! I said I wasn’t exactly the victim here.”

          “Please, tell me. Do you need to be carried to the changing room?” I’ll do that.” he gets up, looking ready for war. I raise my eyebrows, speechless.

          “No need to—”

          “Or should I take your belongings here so you could change in another place?”

          “No—" I sigh, and laugh slowly. “You know, this is the time when you say ‘Alright, I get it.’”

          Chanyeol shakes his head. “No, I can’t. Please, let me do something to pay for this. I’ll do anything.”

          I look at his sincere expression in silence, and press my lips together. “Let’s just go back to the court.” I stand up, and start walking. He follows right after like a big puppy, and I feel overshadowed. Even with my height, he’s still much taller and bigger than me.

          “Maybe you need some medicine—?”

          I turn to him, a teeny bit of annoyance appears inside of me. “I’m very fine.”

          He closes his mouth, and we continue walking. “And your name is…”

          “Jo Jia, Korean Literature. Batch 53.”

          “Oh, we’re the same batch!” he sounds excited. “So how did you get to participate in the shoot?”

          “Um… The photography team asked me. And you?”

          “I’m actually a member of the basketball team.”

          “Oh!” I exclaim, and Chanyeol nods. “I thought they were all models…”

          “Since we don’t have female team, they were all models, including you. But for the male team, half of them are the actual basketball team. Half of us couldn’t make it because of exams so they recruited other people.”

          “Ah…” my mouth opens a bit. “No wonder you guys were playing so naturally.”

          “Hehe.” Chanyeol giggles, and his kidlike gestures really don’t match his body. We come back to the court, and only the photography team is there, cleaning up. I think everyone else is in the changing room.

          “Then… See you soon.” I smile to him, and bow a little. Chanyeol smiles back, and we go to our respective changing rooms. I let my shoulder down, feeling exhausted for no reason.

*

          The next day, the swollen finger isn’t getting better so I decided to visit a clinic. Thankfully it’s not serious, but the doctor put it in a bandage until it heals.

          On Monday, I’m looking at the bandage emptily, thinking on how to do my daily activities in this condition. I hope Park Chanyeol doesn't see this, or else he'd be worked up again. His faculty building is far away from here though, I think there wouldn't be a chance of encountering him again.

          “Omo, what happened?!” Miyeon just came to the library, and sits beside me. “Are you injured?”

          “Uh, a little.” I hide my hand.

          “It’s not broken or something, right?”

          I shake my head. “Of course not.”

          “What to do… It must be difficult to move.” Miyeon pouts.

          “A bit.” I shrug. “I’m going to take some books.”

          I walk to the shelves, and as I look for materials, I hear two people talking a bit loudly nearby but I’m too immersed on reading the titles of the books. I take out a copy from a line and start opening the pages when the people get closer to me. “Oh? Jo Jia?”

          I turn to their direction, and it’s a faculty friend, Siwoo. I was just going to greet him back when I realize who’s behind him. It’s Park Chanyeol. “Oh my God!”

          My startled reaction includes me putting the book in front of my mouth, and Chanyeol’s eyes immediately focuses on my bandaged finger holding the book. “Oh?!”

          Siwoo looks confused seeing us. Chanyeol quickly walks past him and comes to me. “What is this? Is this from before?!”

          “N-no…”

          Ugh, I’m so bad at lying. I put down my hand and book, trying to be stealthy. “It was from that time, right?” he asks again.

          “It is. But it’s healing quickly.” I admit.

          “You guys know each other?” Siwoo asks.

          Chanyeol and I don’t immediately answer. “Um… Kind of.” I say.

          “Oh no… I’m so sorry…” Chanyeol keeps looking at my hand, and I put it behind my back.

          “No, I was at fault too.” it feels like Saturday all over again. Are we really going to talk about this on repeat?

          “Please tell me what I should do.”

          Siwoo blinks twice looking at us, and I look at the floor. “Let’s not talk about this again…” I mumble.

          “Hey, shouldn’t you go now?” Siwoo says to Chanyeol.

          “Ah, right. Jo Jia, call me if you need something. You can ask Siwoo for my number. I’ll get going first!”

          Chanyeol disappears, and Siwoo and I look at each other. “So, what happened?” Siwoo asks.

          “Long story.” I massage my forehead. “But anyway, has he always been like that?”

          “Who, Chanyeol?”

          “Yeah.”

          “He’s a nice kid, but…” Siwoo shrugs. “He’s a bit too passionate for his own good. He has big reactions, and when he laughs he hits people next to him.”

          I get reminded of what happened in the photoshoot, and laugh a little. “Oh, right.”

          “Sometimes we joke that his name should be Chan-yeol-jeong.”

          “Ah… Passion.” I laugh again. “He’s an… Interesting person.”

          “He’s very loyal. He always makes sure he goes extra mile for other people, and always offers us help. He’ll do anything to redeem himself if he makes a mistake.”

          I can feel the accuracy even though I just met Chanyeol twice. After getting the information, I get back to my seat and heave a deep breath.

          I check my phone, and see a notification. Another order comes, but I’m worried instead. I haven’t even finished the previous ones… I need extra hands to help me.

          A realization comes into my head, and I press my back to my chair.

          I think I know what to do with Park Chanyeol.