Part-timer

Allegra

          Two days after the encounter in the library, the swell in my finger had shrunk and it got more comfortable to do daily activities so I consider not to do what I planned to, regarding Park Chanyeol.

          But I actually need a part-timer, at least for a day, to help me with the packing. I think I'll just post an offer in a part-time job app.

          After a class, Siwoo approaches my table while I’m tidying up. “Jia, my friend Chanyeol insists on giving you his number. Are you going to contact him?”

          I stop moving. “Oh no… No need to. It’s okay, really.”

          “I know you’d say that so I just told him to come here to ask you directly.”

          My mouth opens a little. “What—”

          “Oh, there he is.”

          Siwoo points to the back door, and Park Chanyeol’s head appears. He gives us a bright smile, then enters the room cheerfully. I grit my teeth as he comes closer. “Hi, Jo Jia!”

          I force myself to smile. “Hi.”

          Siwoo is called by someone and goes away, leaving me and Chanyeol. “So have you thought about something? What can I do?”

          I glance at my injured finger, then to Chanyeol. “I’m not sure—”

          “You can ask me to do anything!”

          I look at his enthusiastic self, and close my lips. Will this be okay? I’ll just ask first. I signal him to take a seat next to me, and he hurriedly sits.

          “Okay… So.” I take a deep breath. “I’m running a small business and thankfully recently I got quite a lot of orders. I’m by myself, so it’s a bit overwhelming right now with my condition… I can do with some support. If you—”

          “I’ll help you! How can I start?”

          “Uh… An hour or two will be enough. I’ll give you basic hourly wage. If you’re not okay with this—”

          His eyebrows furrow. “What? You don’t have to pay me!”

          “Still, it’s labor… You can’t work for free.” I shake my head.

          “We’ll talk about it later. We have to finish it if it’s ordered already. It’s a business, you can’t disappoint your customers.” his big eyes look serious, and I blink twice.

          “Oh… Of course.”

          “So when can I do it?”

          “Weekend? If you don’t mind, we can do it in my apartment building, we have a common room on my floor. It’s nearby.”

          “Alright—” he rummages through his pocket, and takes out his phone. “What’s your number?”

          I slowly mention it, and watch Chanyeol saves it with full concentration.

          “I’ve sent a message to you. Contact me for the time!”

          I nod, and Chanyeol smiles. He leaves to go to Siwoo, and I let down my shoulders.

          Later I check my phone, and see Chanyeol sending me a moving sticker, a cartoon character waving happily. I let out a smile, thinking this fits him so much.

          I deleted the submission I've drafted in the part-time job app, and a concerned sigh escapes my nose. I don’t know how this will turn out, but I just hope he’d cooperate.

*

          We agree to meet Saturday morning, and I’ve already prepared all the things in the common room that’s right in front of my unit. It’s on the third floor, and I told Chanyeol to just take the elevator and turn right after he arrives.

          It’s usually quiet on weekends so when I hear quick footsteps approaching, I instantly know it’s Chanyeol. Soon after he enters the square space, his height stands out more with the low ceiling above. “Jo Jia!” he happily greets.

          I smile, and bow a little. He looks at the stuff on the table, and his eyes widen like a kid looking at toys. “Wow, what is it?”

          “So… here they are.” I pick up a bracelet with transparent round beads, filled with torn pieces of dried, turquoise colored flower petals. “I’m basically making bracelets. They’re made with eco-friendly beads, using natural ingredients. It’s produced in East Sea.”

          Chanyeol takes it, and his eyes sparkle. “It’s pretty.” he looks at the others I keep in the big box, and a smile blooms on his face. “They’re all so bright and shiny. The colors make me happy.”

          I’m forming a proud smile. “I go by the name ‘Allegra’. It means joyous and lively in Italian. I do have cheerful, fresh concept for this.”

          “Even the name is beautiful. It’s so fitting.” he comments.

          “So… you’re going to help me to pack these. The bracelets are all ready, and I’ve printed the addresses. The important thing is the packaging. It needs to arrive to the customers’ hands safely and prettily.” I push a few small boxes to his direction, and show him the order sheet on my laptop. “The bracelets all have name tags, right? We have to recheck again in case I labeled them wrong.”

          After matching the orders and lining them up based on order number, we start putting the bracelets to the boxes and cover them with bubble wraps.

          “Um… I can’t fold my fingers well so I need the most help in cutting these.” I hand Chanyeol the scissors, and he sprightly takes it and starts cutting the bubble wrap.

          “That’s why I’m here.” he says. “But these are really cute. I think my sister will like it.”

          “Oh, you have a sister?”

          “Yeah, she’s three years older than me. She likes bright colors, I think I can recommend this.”

          “Really? I’ll send you the catalogue and shop link!”

          He turns to me, and I look at him questionably. “I notice your voice goes higher when talking about Allegra.” Chanyeol says. My face feels hot, and he grins. “And that’s good! It’s business, anyway.”

          We laugh, and continue packing. “So, you live here?” Chanyeol asks.

          I point to the door right behind his back. “Yeah, with a roommate. But she usually comes home on weekends.”

          “What about you? You don’t go home?”

          “I rarely do. I enjoy being here, even though I have no orders.” I shrug. “What about you?”

          “Oh, I’m from Seoul. I still live with my family.” Chanyeol chuckles. “But since entering university, I often stay out in my friends’ apartments if it’s late.”

          I notice he takes some time to look at each bracelet closely, sometimes giving them a little fawning smile. “Don’t worry, they’re all in perfect state. I’ve done quality control.” I say.

          Chanyeol smiles, holding a red-themed bracelet. “How did you start this business?”

          I blink, and the sides of my mouth go down a little. I’m thinking hard on what to say. “It began as a hobby.” I answer shortly.

          “That’s cool.” he responds. “How long has it been?”

          “It’s been almost a year, I think.” I touch one of the boxes.

          “And you’re by yourself?”

          “Yeah. I do everything alone… But it’s not like there was a lot of orders.” I laugh. “But it’s gradually increasing, thankfully.”

          Chanyeol nods as he sticks a final tape on a wrapped box. “This is the last one.”

          As I see the packed bracelets, I grow a bit uneasy. I plan to pay Chanyeol, but I think he’d refuse. I still have to compensate his work, one way or another.

          “So when are you going to send them?” Chanyeol asks, breaking my thought bubble.

          “Oh… It’s all done… Well…” I press my lips. “I usually send them via mail service, I can drop them in the convenience store across this building.”

          “Great! We can go outside together.”

          I swallow. I need to find the timing. We tidy up, throw out the trash, and ride the elevator. As we stand side by side, I take this moment to start a conversation. “So, I said I’ll give you hourly pay—”

          “Aye.” Chanyeol turns to me, his expression changes into a serious one but it switches to a rather flustered one when he meets my eyes. “Wow, you’re indeed really tall—” he clears his throat and looks at me again. “No, Jo Jia. We’ve talked about this.”

          “Nothing was decided back then. Please, I can’t let you work for free. It was two hours of your precious time.”

          “This is the least I can do, so don’t worry.” Chanyeol lifts the tote bag we use to carry the packages and hugs it.

          “What about a meal?”

          “Jia, you really don’t have to. You know why I did this.”

          “But still…”

          Chanyeol sighs slowly. “Okay, you can buy me ice cream.”

          “Huh?”

          “We’re going to a convenience store, right? Buy me ice cream there. And probably some snacks.”

          I break into a smile, and Chanyeol laughs. “For your information, I usually eat three ice cream in one sitting.” he adds.

          “Okay.” I nod.

          After sending the packages, we sit in front of each other outside the convenience store, and I’m watching Chanyeol eating his ice cream bar. With those gigantic bites, no wonder he needs three, it probably only feels like one.

          The basketball photoshoot led us to this moment, and it kind of feels interesting. I caress the bandage on my finger, and inaudibly exhale. I got to meet a nice acquaintance but I’m not sure if we could meet again often.

          “Why?” Chanyeol asks after catching me staring at him.

          “Nothing.” I shake my head. “You eat well.”

          He grins, and continues eating. I see my phone screen lighting up, it’s Miyeon calling.

          “Jia! Where are you?”

          “Um… Outside.”

          “Okay so, you know, my sister’s getting married, right.”

          “Is it in two weeks? Please tell Ahyeon unni, thanks for the invitation.”

          “Yep, correct. She has a favor to ask you.”

          “What is it?”

          “Your bracelets, Allegra. You gave one to each of us, and she thinks it’d be lovely if she can give one to her bridesmaids.”

          “Oh, I’m flattered.” I smile. “How many does she need?” if it’s bridesmaids, probably not going to be more than ten, right…

          “Fifty.”

          “What?!”

          “Eh, you know my sister, she’s super social. So, is it possible? She’s going to pick it up a few days before the wedding.”

          I blankly look at the table, and roll out a quick planning board inside my head. Fifty in less than two weeks? But it would be relatively easier though, since I won’t have to pack each one of them… I calculate the time for the beads to arrive, ordering the boxes, and the making process. I think it would be possible, but definitely not by myself…

          I look up, and my sight meets Chanyeol’s eyes. He’s looking at me curiously with his huge eyes while chewing, and I lean to the back of my seat. Even if it’s not Chanyeol who helps me… I think it’d be doable.

          “So? What do you think?” Miyeon asks from the other end.

          “Alright.” I say.

          Miyeon shrieks happily, and hangs up. I stay silent for awhile until Chanyeol leans forward a little. “Is something wrong?”

          I tilt my head a little and look away, hesitant to tell him. But I should try, at least.

          “Um, so, here’s the thing…”