Photo

Allegra

          The next days after the wedding have been quiet (except for Miyeon who constantly pesters me about Chanyeol) and everything is relatively calm. I’ve overcome my sleeping problems slowly, but it’s still there.

          One day, early morning Miyeon sends me a something and I almost drop my phone after opening it. It’s the photo of me and Chanyeol from the wedding, side by side with my arm around his. He’s grinning widely, proudly showing his teeth while I’m having a sheepish smile on my face. The photo makes me want to stare and put down my phone at the same time.

 

You two are almost in a different world

I know my sister was forcing you to do this but

It came out well, wow

You sure there’s nothing between you guys?

 

          I lie back on my bed, and exhale loudly. Miyeon sends other photos, including me and Chanyeol with Ahyeon, candid photos from the ceremony, and the bridesmaids showing off the bracelets. I smile at the last one, and save them all.

          After lunch at school, I’m going to meet Yeji who said nothing about why she wanted to meet me. I see her waving at me happily in the school lobby with Joohwan at her side, bringing a paper bag.

          “What’s up?” I say, and Yeji excitedly rummages into the bag. She pulls out some pieces of paper, and when I see closer, they’re the new campus brochures. She unfolds one, and show a full-body photo of me looking like a legitimate basketball player on the extracurricular section. I’m even dribbling the ball on the photo.

          “Oh my God.” I take the brochure in disbelief.

          “You took the best photos so I suggested it to be the main one.” Joohwan told me. “Now the board wants to gather an actual female basketball team. Maybe you want to join?”

          I shake my head while laughing, and see the whole brochure. I spot Chanyeol on one of the photos, looking very serious on the court unlike his usual self. I smile, and repeatedly look at the paper. “The photos are amazing. You guys did a good job.”

          Yeji and Joohwan are seen blushing, and they hand me a box of souvenirs. They say everyone who participated in the photoshoot gets one. “Sunbae, open it!”

          I lift the lid, and on the very top of the box is a framed group photo of the models from that day. We look sweaty, but happy. Wide smiles are everywhere.

          I notice that I was actually right in front of Chanyeol when that photo was taken. He’s displaying his toothy grin with a peace sign covering one side of his face.

          “Look at how tiny the photography team look there. Of course, we were surrounded by giants.” Yeji giggles.

          “Thank you, guys. Good job. The results are magnificent.” I praise them. Yeji and Joohwan happily says goodbye, and I take a seat nearby. I look at the frame again, and beam.

          Has Chanyeol received his? I’m reminded of photos from Ahyeon’s wedding, and I think hard. Should I send them to him? But it’s weird to send that photo of us…

          That night, I just arrived at my apartment and check my phone when I see a few messages, one of them is from Chanyeol. It’s a photo of the gift box and me in the brochure.

 

How can you look more like an athlete than an actual one?

 

          I break into a smile. I reply with his photo in the brochure.

 

You look very fierce here. It’s so different from what I usually see.

 

Oh, it’s my game face. Come see me in a match sometime, I always look like that while playing.

 

          I chuckle. I consider sending him the photos from the wedding now, and I stomp my feet lightly to the floor a few times until I decide to do it.

 

Oh right, these are the photos from the wedding… Miyeon sent them.

 

          I close my eyes after pressing send, and feel jumpy. What would he say?

          The messages are marked ‘read’ and I close the chat. I distract myself with tidying up something in my room, and come back after a few minutes. He’s replied.

 

Wow! The photos are good!

We really look like models here. Do you think we should professionally pursue it?

 

          The last reply refers to the photo of both of us, and I open it in full screen again. We look like… A happy couple. I shake my head violently, and blink once.

          I only get to reply with a short “ㅋㅋㅋㅋ” when it’s already read and Chanyeol is typing.

 

How are you lately? I haven’t seen you around in school. How’s Allegra?

How about your nights?

 

          I sit on my bed, leaning on the headboard. The last question gets me thinking.

 

I’m doing good. Allegra’s fine. Not many orders lately ㅋㅋ

I sleep well these days. Thank you for asking.

 

          I might be lying a little, but that’s fine. I hope it could turn into reality.

 

Jia, do you have time this weekend? My sister’s birthday is coming soon.

I want to give her a birthday present but I need some advice.

 

          I’m holding my phone silently. I still have no plans for this weekend… After mulling over for some time, I reply with a yes and Chanyeol joyfully asks me to accompany him to a shopping district near school. He’s going to pick me up here and we’ll walk to the area.

          I have a strange growing feeling inside of me, and I’m not sure what it is. Is it excitement? Nervousness? I don’t know, but it makes me anticipate what’s coming next.

*

          Chanyeol is waiting under the light post like last time, and today he’s wearing simple light blue long-sleeved shirt and jeans. He smiles upon seeing me, and swiftly moves to my side as we start walking.

          “So what are you planning to give?” I ask.

          “My sister likes feminine things. I’m thinking of bag, shoes, or dresses. I have her sizes.”

          “Wow, you came prepared.” I laugh. “What did you give her previously?”

          “Usually my parents and I give her joint presents. But now I’ve saved some money, and I got paid from a part-time job as well…” Chanyeol glances at me and smiles. “I want to give her something memorable.”

          “Very thoughtful.” I comment. I think of my own situation, and my heart dampens.

          We’re entering the store area, and coming inside each tenant. I help him choosing based on his sister’s preferences, and I’m amazed at how he remembers every little thing. “You must really understand your sister.”

          “Hm, me? I think so. We annoy each other a lot so we know the other’s likes and dislikes, dislikes mostly.” Chanyeol laughs.

          I smile a little, and think how I can’t relate.

          “Jia, which one looks better?” Chanyeol takes a sling bag and shows it to me. I press my lips, and ponder for awhile.

          “Do you mind if I can see a photo of your sister?” I say, and Chanyeol takes out his phone. He shows a side-by-side mirror selfie of him and his sister, probably taken at a mall.

          “Wow, are you guys twins or something?”

          He scoffs. “We do look so much alike.”

          “She looks tall…”

          “She’s pretty tall. But you’re taller.” Chanyeol measures an invisible person with his hand. “You’re really tall, do you know that?”

          “That, I admit. That’s why I’m scouted to do the photoshoot.” I shrug. “The sling bag looks nice on her.”

          “Okay… Putting it in the nominations.”

          We exit the store, and I can feel people staring at us. It isn’t unusual for me, I grew up with people’s looks all the time, but now… They gaze longer. Maybe because of Chanyeol. He looks oblivious to it, on the other hand.

          We stop by an outdoor eatery to have lunch, and I see Chanyeol’s curls getting blown softly by the wind. He’s clearly too big for his chair, and I open a topic. “How does it feel to be insanely tall?”

          Chanyeol smirks. “Aren’t you the one to answer?”

          We both laugh. “They often ask me if the air’s up there is different.” I say.

          “Getting items off the top shelf.”

          “Having to bend my knees down while talking.”

          “Uncomfortably sitting in bus or train seats.”

          “Being mistaken as a boy—oh wait, it’s just me. And just recently.” I sigh.

          “So you usually had long hair before?”

          “Um… Yeah. I wanted to try something new, so I cut it.”

          “It looks good.” Chanyeol smiles, and I force myself to smile. “Why?” Chanyeol asks.

          “The others’ comments aren’t always nice about this hair. I start to regret cutting it.”

          “Don’t listen to them. If you like your hair, then what others say doesn’t matter.” Chanyeol says sternly. I look at him, and smile a little seeing his serious face. All the worries I have suddenly vanish, and I’m grateful to hear him say those words.

          “Thank you so much.”

          “Are you really sleeping well these days?” Chanyeol suddenly changes the topic. I stop chewing my food, and nod slowly.

          “Why do you ask again?”

          “Your eyes look tired.”

          I smile, trying to look believable. “Not completely, but it’s getting better.”

          “But… Why do you have difficulty sleeping, though?”

          Before Chanyeol finishes his question, the answer comes in the form of someone walking in the streets behind Chanyeol, and the sides of my mouth go down.