Mutual

Allegra

          I open my eyes slowly, and the first thing I sense is the bed feels unusually fluffier this morning. I soon realize I'm on Heejung's bed, and I look at the ceiling as my head is filled with Chanyeol. It's 7 AM. Has he woken up? Yesterday he said he'd go to practice at 9.

          After washing my face, I go to my bedroom and stop in front of the slightly open door. I peek inside and see him sleeping soundly on his back, wrapped in my blanket from neck below. I can hear his soft snore from here and I don't have the heart to wake him up.

          I want to fix some breakfast, but with my non-existent cooking skills I'm thinking hard on how to provide food. Deliveries to the rescue, it is. In less than thirty minutes I've acquired full meals packed in my hands, and I decide to keep the soup in a pot so I can reheat it after Chanyeol wakes up.

          I'm vacuuming the living room when I see two feet walking slowly towards me, and Chanyeol appears with forehead covered with his curls. "You're awake?" I greet him, and he smiles. He looks significantly brighter than yesterday.

          "I'm going to wash up first."

          After some time he comes out from the bathroom, and he finally looks like the Chanyeol I'm used to see. I turn on the stove to prepare the food and Chanyeol sits across of me in front of the kitchen counter. "Wow, you made all of this?"

          "You know I can't cook." I point to the empty packagings, and Chanyeol chuckles.

          "It's okay." Chanyeol glances at my phone near the kitchen counter, and his face turns wistful. "Um, Jia... I'm sorry I haven't been able to contact you often. I don't want to leave you hanging or make you wait, so..."

          I nod as I stir the soup. "So am I. I'm afraid I'd disturb you so I also don't text you much."

          "Also... The more we message each other, the more I want to see you so I held back."

          That makes me stop moving, and I can feel my face getting scarlet. I try to play it off as due to the steam from the pot. "Whew, it's boiling."

          Chanyeol smiles a little, and excitedly looks at the food. "Oh. How about we send small updates of our daily lives? We don't necessarily need to reply, but at least we know what we're up to."

          "Through social media?"

          "No, no need to. Just you and me."

          "Ah." I blink and let my head down. My heart flutters hard at such a wrong time. "Okay."

          "You don't seem thrilled about it." Chanyeol says.

          "No. I... Like it." my lips curl, and I press them hard to avoid beaming too widely. "God, stop it."

          "What?" Chanyeol sounds puzzled.

          "Are you always like this?"

          "What?" Chanyeol repeats, completely baffled.

          "Never mind." I mutter. "Can you get the rice?" I try to distract him.

          We relocate to the table in the living room, replicating what we did last night.

          "I eat a lot when you're around." I say. "I don't usually have breakfast on weekend morning—"

          Chanyeol looks up from his bowl, his eyes shoot strong disapproval. I immediately take another pinch of rice with my chopsticks.

          "Because I usually sleep again, that's all." I try to defend myself.

          "What do you like to eat?" Chanyeol asks.

          That's a difficult question. I stare at the table vacantly for a few seconds, and my head still doesn't produce an answer. "I'm not sure."

          "Don't you have any food that you feel excited about? Something that makes you happy just by thinking about it?"

          Finally something pops out inside my head, but it also comes with a flood of yearning. "Kkwabaegi."

          "Twisted donut?" Chanyeol raises his eyebrows.

          "Yes. My grandmother made really good ones..." I reminisce a bit. "I enjoy eating it. That’s the only thing that I can eat more than one piece.”

          Chanyeol nods slowly. "I think I've seen a store near the south gate of our school that sells it."

          "That's where I usually frequent!" I jump on my seat, getting elated. "Theirs are really good."

          Chanyeol seems fascinated to see me delighted, and I clear my throat. "I'm sorry for my lack of interest in food."

          "We should go out more. I'll turn you into a foodie. Wait until my matches are finished." he confidently says. "Until then, just please, please—eat three meals a day."

          "Alright, alright." I try to convince him. "That's a hard quest though, making me live to eat."

          "You just haven't found the joy in eating. I'll show you."

          "Promise?"

          "Promise."

*

          Chanyeol is ready to leave for his practice, and he literally pouts. "I'm all for the practice, but I still want to be here with you."

          I grit my teeth. "You're doing it again."

          "What?!" he bursts into laughter, clueless and curious at the same time.

          "Saying weird things!" I cross my arms. Chanyeol grins, and pulls me into a tight bear hug. The warmth covers me as my heart skips a beat, and I freeze. I can feel Chanyeol's cheek pressing my hair, and I loosen up as I smile.

          "Do well on practice." I say.

          "Got it."

          I inhale the smell of his hoodie, and spread my arms to embrace him. My fingers meet each other on his back, and I close my eyes.

          Chanyeol takes a step back, and holds both of my shoulders with a smile. “I’ll get going.”

          I nod, and watch as he wears his shoes. I walk him to the elevator, and my body still feels light even after the doors closed.

*

          For the next days, our chatroom is filled with random photos and random captions, or sometimes no words accompanying the picture at all. One night I giggle to myself watching a short video of Chanyeol and his teammates stacking plates almost as tall as their height in a dinner, and Heejung is shaking her head slowly, trying to keep her sheet mask in place. “You’re in love.”

          “What if I am?” I answer shortly, and Heejung claps.

          “Great. Everybody’s dating but me.”

          “Eh, I’m not sure about it.”

          “He’s spent the night here and you’re still not sure?”

          “That’s not what you think. Nothing’s official between us.”

          “Then go confess! What are you waiting for?”

          My eyes shake. Confess? “I… I don’t think the time is right.”

          “Aigoo.” she sounds frustrated. Just then the bell rings, and Heejung gets the door. It seems to be a delivery, and the uncle stutters seemingly after seeing Heejung in the mask. “Jia, it’s for you!”

          “Huh?” I get up from my bed. I’m not expecting any deliveries though, the beads for Allegra isn’t supposed to arrive this fast. Heejung hands me a paper bag and I carefully receive it.

          The contents include a pack of warm twisted donuts and a scented candle. It has no label on it, but it smells like vanilla cake. I form a wide smile, and laugh to myself slowly.

          “I’ll leave.” Heejung mutters, and a message arrives on my phone.

 

Has it arrived? The candle is said to help you sleep and increase your appetite ㅋㅋㅋ

 

          “Wow.” I exclaim to myself. This guy, really.

 

Jo Jia: So is it supposed to make me sleep or eat more?

 

Park Chanyeol: Both!

Park Chanyeol: Jia, it’s my first match soon. You’re coming, right?

 

          I decide to play around a bit, and stick out my tongue as I type.

 

Jo Jia: I’m not sure

Jo Jia: I’m unfamiliar to basketball, and I don’t have anyone I know in the team

 

          Chanyeol replies with a crying sticker, and I laugh to myself. Cute.

          He tells me the match will be held in our school, and I promise him to come. I heave a deep sigh, and think hard. When should I confess to him?