Invitation

Allegra

          “…but I’m just offering. If you accept it, I’ll properly pay you as a part-timer. If you don’t, I’ll look for someone else.”

          I close the talk, and carefully observe Chanyeol’s face. What is he going to do? He seems relaxed, then nods a few times. “Okay. Let’s go with it.”

          I furrow my brows. “What?”

          “I’ll take it.”

          “Really?”

          “The basketball team is having a break, and I have nothing to do.” he shrugs. “A part-time job would be nice.”

          “But… Would it be okay? Making bracelets? It’s going to take all day to make fifty.”

          “Wouldn’t it be more interesting than just packing?” Chanyeol flashes a big smile.

          I blink. “Well… If you really want to.”

*

          “How about my sister’s order? Can you do it?” Miyeon asks as we arrive to class on Monday.

          “No worries.”

          “I really wanted to help but I have my own part-time job… Do you have someone who can assist you?”

          “Yeah, I got a part-timer.”

          “Really? Who?”

          “Um… Someone.” I say shortly.

          I check my phone, and see a message from the bead makers. It’s going to take some time for production because of the design I requested, but the time should be enough. I’ll pick up the boxes tomorrow, and store the strings as well as other tools. I’ve contacted Chanyeol, and he said he’d come when the preparation’s ready.

          A few days later, on Saturday, I open my unit’s door and my eyes widen seeing Chanyeol is already sitting in the common room. He beams, and stands up to help me carry the materials.

          “You’re here early.”

          “Yes, I was from school after meeting a friend so I just needed to walk here.” his focus turns to my hand, and he notices something. “Oh, the bandage is gone?”

          “The doctor said it’s okay now. I think it’ll be completely fine in no time.”

          “It’s a relief.” Chanyeol smiles. He’s arranging the beads and strings, then looks a bit confused. “I think the beads are smaller than before?”

          “Yes, I ordered the small size on purpose. The bridesmaids are probably going to wear them at the wedding so I wanted the bracelets to look simple but still noticeable, hence the glittery details.” I take a single bead and place it on my palm. This time it’s containing white rose petals with gold outline.

          “Beautiful, as always.” Chanyeol fawns over the beads again. “Shall we get started? So how should I do this?”

          I teach him to measure and cut the strings, arrange the beads, and tie the ends of the string. He’s doing well in the first steps but I notice he finds difficulties in the last step because of his big hands. “I’ll do the tying part.” I tell him.

          He looks at his palms, disappointed. “They’re too huge.”

          I laugh. “I have big hands too, you just need some practice. But since we’re in a hurry, I’ll just do it.”

          We spend the making process mainly in silence because of the amount of concentration needed, and suddenly the sound of a bead falling to the floor and cracking is heard. Chanyeol dropped one, and I hold my breath.

          “Oh no… I’m so sorry.” Chanyeol turns a bit pale.

          “It’s okay.” I smile as I take the fragments. “I did it a lot when I first started… Since the bead is heavier than plastic ones, we need to be extra careful.”

          “Got it.” Chanyeol says. “Gosh, such a pretty bead… I wasted one.”

          “Just don’t break too many. I might take it from your pay.” I joke. Chanyeol laughs a little, and continues working. He does most of the talking with questions about Allegra, and after four hours and a lunch break, we finished making the bracelets.

          Chanyeol stands up, and stretches his back with a loud groan. “Whoa.”

          “Your body’s sore, right?”

          “Yeah. I just sat still, though…”

          “Focusing also drains your energy.” I say. “I’ll take something to store them into.”

          I go inside my apartment, and take two large paper bags. Chanyeol quickly puts the small boxes into them, and I actually take some time to admire how hard-working he is. I think I’m lucky to have him assist me.

          I also take this chance to disappear for awhile to my unit, and take a piece of envelope I’ve prepared. I take a deep breath, and come out again.

          “Jia, it’s finished!” Chanyeol proudly shows the neatly packed stuff.

          “Wonderful.” I say, and I feel my heart starts beating faster for no reason. “So…” I take a seat beside him, clutching the envelope. “Thank you for your hard work. It’s been so nice to do all of this with such a committed, diligent person.”

          “Eh, I just did my best.”

          “Um… Again, thank you. Here…” I hand them the envelope with both hands. Chanyeol smiles, and receives it. He puts it inside his pocket, and I look at him. “Aren’t you going to check it?”

          “I trust you, don’t worry.” he says, and we both laugh. “Thank you. It’s been fun for me too.”

          Nothing is said between us for a few seconds, and I look down. So I guess this is the last time.

          “I’m leaving. Thanks, see you at school.” Chanyeol gets up. I walk him to the elevator, and he cheerfully waves to me as the door closes. “Allegra fighting!” he shouts before disappearing.

          I laugh, and fold my hands on my chest. The air is so quiet without him. I sigh, and let out a smile to myself.

*

          On Tuesday, after class I’m sitting on a bench under a tree quietly, thinking about a quiz I just had. I’m planning in my head to slowly walk home and stop by a few stores to buy necessities when a message comes. It’s from Ahyeon, Miyeon’s sister, who wants to pick up the bracelets today, a day earlier than previously informed. In fact, she’s already on her way.

          “Aigoo.” I talk to myself as I hurriedly stand up and head to the gate. As I speedwalk, I see Chanyeol with other people, and he spots me. He waves, and runs to me, ditching his friends. “Where are you going?”

          “Oh, hi! I’m—I’m going home.”

          “How about the bracelets? Has the bride picked it up?”

          “Now that you mention it… I’m actually on the way to meet her, I’m going home to take the bracelets first.”

          “By yourself? Let me help.” Chanyeol steadily starts walking next to me.

          “No need to, I can do it myself.”

          “There are two huge bags after we packed it! I’ll help you.”

          I know it’d be futile to refuse, so I just let him follow me. We arrive at my floor, and I excuse myself to enter my unit first. I take the bags, but I think something is lacking. I take two rolls of tape and scissors and go to Chanyeol who’s waiting outside in the common room.

          “Chanyeol, can you help me putting tapes on top of the bag? I think Ahyeon unni is using her car, I’m afraid the boxes will fall on speedbumps.”

          “Sure.” he says, and I let him inside. He takes a few seconds looking around, then I direct him to the kitchen table and we start taping the bags.

          “Ouch!”

          My heart skips a beat, and I turn to Chanyeol. He grimaces as he’s holding his index finger on his right hand. “Oh my God, what happened?!”

          “Papercut. The bag’s edges are sharp… It’s okay.” he waves his hand on the side, and grits his teeth afterwards.

          “Oh no—let me see it.” I take his hand, and see thin, reddened cut above a knuckle on his right hand. “Wait… Let’s disinfect it.”

          I take a first aid kit, and ask Chanyeol to sit next to me in my living room. “Here, I can do it.” Chanyeol says.

          “No, let me.” I firmly say, keeping his hand still. His hand is a bit dry, but warm. Chanyeol is sitting in silence, until he fidgets a little.

          “You seem… skillful.” he slowly says.

          “What are you saying… I’m a bit anxious right now. I hurt myself a lot at first and treated it on my own, but doing this to another person is new.” I apply a bandaid, and make sure it’s secured. “It’s done.”

          “Thank you.” Chanyeol smiles. “So where are we going to meet her?”

          “A café nearby. Let’s go.” I say. I take one bag, and Chanyeol takes another. We go out from the building and head to the café.

          I see Ahyeon is already inside, and she stands up as soon as I enter. gapes as she comes rushing to me. “Hey, Jia! Oh my God, what happened to your hair?!” Ahyeon cups my face while tiptoeing.

          “Uh… I… Trying something different.”

          “Aigoo… You look… Majestic.” Ahyeon shakes her head a bit. “Sorry for the sudden notice, I have other things to do so I came earlier…”

          “It’s okay, unni. Sorry for waiting.” I take the bags with bracelet boxes and hands it to her. “Here, unni. Thank you for trusting Allegra.” I say with a smile. “See you on the wedding.”

          “Great, great. Thank you so much. You’ll come, right? By the way, who is this? Boyfriend?” Ahyeon glances at Chanyeol.

          “Um… He’s a frie—”

          “I’m her part-timer! I helped making the bracelets. Congrats on your wedding.” Chanyeol brightly says, and I swallow.

          “What, really? You got to be kidding me! Where did you find a part-timer this handsome?” Ahyeon’s high-pitched voice makes the whole café turns at her, and I let my head down. “You, come to my wedding, okay?” Ahyeon says to Chanyeol.

          I lift my head. “Huh?”

          “Jia, come to my wedding with him so you’re not going to be alone. Miyeon’s going to be busy with the family after all. Are you free this Saturday?” she asks Chanyeol.

          Chanyeol looks a bit surprised, but then he nods. “Yes.”

          “Great! Looking forward to see you two! Jia, I’ll get going right now, the preparation is endless.” Ahyeon shudders. “See you! I’ll wire the money to your account!”

          She dashes out, and leaves in her car. My shoulder droops, and I stand still without a word.

          “She’s very energetic.” Chanyeol comments, still smiling. I try to pull up the sides of my mouth, and look at the floor. “Anyway, where’s the wedding going to take place?”

          “Ah… It’ll be on a wedding hall in Yongsan.”

          “Shall we go together?”

          Chanyeol is looking at me with stars in his eyes, his body moving to right and left in excitement. How can I say no to this?