Coffee

A Life Worth Living

 

Breathing in the frosty air Jonghyun rubbed his ice cold hands together in a futile attempt to warm them up. Grimacing at the coldness he skipped over the worn down pathways. Furrowing his eyebrows he recalled what his best friend Junho had told him just minutes earlier. Now in the comfort of his privacy he sighed as he sacrificed his to the freezing air as he fished out his mobile from his jeans.

A few distant rings sounded before the reviever picked up. ‘Yah Chansung-ah! What’s going on man? Junho just told me that he’s been promoted! You didn’t mention this to me and you missed our meeting! What’s up man? You avoiding him?!’

Silence resonated as Chansung registered the questions and sighed, ‘Jjong –ah I have no idea what to do man! I-I-I was avoiding Nunie…Khunie hyung asked about him this afternoon…’

‘Khunie hyung? What for?’

‘Its cause of your brother man. I don’t know from where he got Junie’s name but he did and now..’

‘…So he is thinking that our Junho might be eligible to take over the company huh?...Why didn’t you tell him about our Nuneo?’ Jonghyun asked calmly completely throuwing off Chansung’s assumptions causing him to lapse into another round of silence.

‘You are kidding me right?...Tell me you are kidding me…’ Chansung said in a soft strangled voice.

‘I am not. Junho deserves a break. This is his big chance. I know he would do a great job, so why are you so worried?’

‘Worried?! No I don’t think you understand exactly how big this matter is! Jjong your dad’s company is huge and one of the richest in Korea! Do you have any idea of the number of people fighting for the position in the background?! They would not hesitate to kill!’

‘I do understand all that Chansung-ah. We were kidnapped together when we were seven or have you forgotten that? Unlike us though, Junie has us…no one would be able to touch him with the lot of us behind his back….’ Jonghyun said softly sighing. ‘Channie-ah, remember that time I told you about Junho having a strange gift? He calms people and brings them together…there is no way someone can hate him…’

‘Well yeah I guess you are right but Wooyoung does hate his guts, so I guess there is a small flaw in that gift of his!’ Chansung said laughing quietly. ‘But what about his dream? Don’t you think he would want to give up this and go into music? He always spoke about it until…you know…’

‘Yeah… I do and no I don’t think he would give this up. Dude the man’s too far into this now. Do you really think he’s gonna give this up now? Did we not spend 2 years convincing to not give up on his dreams? Or did you block out the first fight that we actually had?’

‘I guess you’re right…I’ll put in a few words when the three of us meet tonight.’ Chansung said resigned.

However before he could hang up, Jonghyun spoke sternly startling Chnasung. Raising the phone back to his ear he listened carefully to the serious voice that the usually bubbly Jjong took. ‘Yah Channie-ah, I understand that both Junho and Wooyoung are your best friends and all, and I also understand that you want them to get together, but I only got one thing to say to you. You may be my best friend and cousin but if either one of your stupid plans or Wooyoung end up hurting Junho I will kill you and destroy Wooyoung. You better remember that ‘cause I ain’t gonna repeat it.’

With that Jonghyun hung up, Chansung let out a sigh rubbing his forehead tiredly. Yep, he definitely was caught up in a bizarre friendship!

 

10.30 pm…2pm apartments…

 

The front door clicked open soundlessly as Wooyoung entered his shared apartment. Judging by the lights remaining in the living room and kitchen he knew that his younger brother had probably just arrived minutes before him and had opted to stay away from him in his bedroom.

Frowning he walked to the kitchen after locking the front door behind him. Although he did dislike his half-brother he was never one to fight physically, not because he was not strong enough but simply because he was tired of all their fights so far.

Opening the microwave he saw the left over pizza that he had ordered earlier. As much as he denied caring for his younger brother he really did, however he couldn’t even accept it even when the evidence stared at him or rather he stared at it.

Looking at the pieces of pineapple in dislike he grudgingly removed them from his least favourite, Hawaiian pizza and heated the pieces for dinner. Turning on the still full kettle he placed a bag of green tea in his favourite cup.

Sighing with a burdened heart he ate the warm pizza not bothering to sit down and staring into space. Unknowingly he began to remember memories that he had long forgotten and buried somewhere deep in his heart hoping that they would never bother him but they did…

No longer having an appetite he threw away the rest of the pizza and went to bed with a hungry stomach that did not feel hungry but remorse and guilt. His green tea stood next to the kettle waiting as it turned cold….

 

10 am … Inorae Café…

 

The sun shone brightly as Junho walked through the small park taking in the beauty surrounding him. Using his index finger he causally pushed his glasses slightly above the bridge of his nose. He smiled softly as his favourite café came into view. This was where his brother usually worked his night shifts; at night a barista and during the mornings a dance teacher, it was perfect for him who loved both jobs so much that he refused to join an entertainment company and teach dance to young idols.

Clearing his head of all thoughts; he pushed open the door as a tiny bell rang his arrival. The working baristas looked smiling their welcome. The shorter one who also happened to be the owner of the small yet thriving café pushed the taller one away from the counter before taking his place.

‘Junie-ah you’re here Sunshine!! Should I get you your usual or would you like my famous mocca? Hmm? Hmm?’ The barista asked wiggling his eyebrows. While others would find his behaviour weird, Junho merely laughed.

‘Sure I’ll have a large mocca Kwonie hyung!’

‘Oh?’ At this Jo Kwon looked up surprised, so did the other three baristas standing close by. ‘What’s the occasion Junho?’

‘I got promoted to the 20th floor yesterday hyung!’ Junho announced smiling widely, his eyes forming little crescents.

‘Woah! Good job Nuneo! This mocca’s on the house!’ Another bigger and bulkier barista said, clapping Junho’s shoulder.

‘Hey! I’m the owner the mocca is not on the house!’ The bigger guy just shot Kwon a look. ‘Fine it is…’

‘I’ll get you your favourite blueberry muffin, freshly baked of course!’ The tallest guy said before quickly moving to the kitchen.

‘Thank you Seulong hyung, and Changmin hyung!’ The three just laughed in response as the youngest brought in another order for a tall man standing next to him. Said man was busy texting someone to notice the order, until the barista cleared his voice.

‘Um sir, here’s your espresso sir.’ The young man said, his badge read Jinwoon.

Clicking the phone shut, and placing it in his pocket the customer thanked Jinwoon with a smile before collecting his coffee. As he turned to leave the café he bumped into the smaller next to him who had also collected his own order.

Junho silently let out a stream of curses as he felt the hot coffee scalding his arm. He grimaced as his favourite blueberry muffin kissed the floor. Remembering that he had bumped into someone he looked up as he quickly apologised. Bowing he felt a sharp pain in head as the other man’s head collided with his, apologising at the same time clearly did not work out for wither.

‘Oh I’m so sorry sir! I should have looked where I was going!’ Junho said quickly as he moved back a bit and took a good look at the tall man in front of him.

‘No no I should be the one who’s sorry. My head was somewhere else completely! I really am so sorry! Let me get you a new coffee?’ The man asked.

‘Oh no sir that’s fine I should be the one treating you not the other way round!’

‘No it’s seriously not your fault. You know what I need to go somewhere soon but if I see you again I’ll definitely treat you to a coffee, ok? I have to go! Bye!’ The man said hurriedly as he left Junho behind. Shrugging Junho just picked up his fallen muffin and offered to clean up the mess.

Outside said tall man fished out his car keys as he walked to his car. A slight vibration brought his attention to his phone. Looking at the caller id he answered the phone, ‘Yo!’

‘Taec meet me by the secretary’s office in 10 minutes. And don’t be late or I’m gonna crush your bike key.’ Was all he heard before the beeping sound. Befuddled he stood still for a moment before jumping into his car and taking off at an unnatural speed.

 

10.45…Secretary’s office…Ok Enterprises….

 

Taecyeon barged into the room without knocking panting hard as he looked around for his evil best friend. He failed to notice the man sitting by the desk racing a perfectly shaped eyebrow in annoyance.

Just then Nichkhun entered the room behind Taecyeon after knocking the door politely. He just smirked as his best friend doubled over still panting hard from running up the flight of stairs to the 22nd floor.

‘Heechul hyung what are you doing here?’ Nichkhun asked as he walked over to the man sitting behind the desk shaking his hand in acknowledgement. Taecyeon quietly followed behind still glaring at his best friend.

‘Doing what Danny hyung is supposed to be doing. Teukie asked me to fill in before Danny hyung came although he is taking his sweet time.’ Heechul said thoughtfully. ‘Fire him the next time he’s late.’

‘Um ok hyung…so…anyway…um…do you know a Lee Junho?’

‘Lee Junho…Lee Junho…aha!’ Heechul snapped his fingers as recognition lit up in his eyes. ‘He’s that cold kid that hangs out with Hyukkie. Mmm…he is somewhat of genius I would say but too stuck up for me to be able to work with. I still don’t get why Hyukkie hangs out with him or why Teukie seems to like him.’ He said shrugging.

Nichkhun nodded his head thoughtfully. Looking up he asked one final question, ‘Do you know where I could get some details about him?’

‘Details? Sure, hold on…here ya go. That’s his file.’ Heechul said as he handed a dumbfounded pair the brown file. ‘What? This is not my job anyways so if anyone gets in trouble it ain’t gonna be me!’

‘Oh…um…thanks hyung…we’ll return this quickly.’ Nichkhun said before pulling Taecyeon out of the room towards the corridor with him.

Once outside the two looked the file quickly, glancing around once in a while to see if anyone was approaching. Impressed with the number of achievements listed and the entirety of the file the two looked up in unison and grinned.

‘So I guess we meet Mr. Lee Junho tomorrow.’

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you everyone for reading, commenting and subscribing! If there are any silent readers I don't mind but if you just drop a simple comment it will make my day :) Thank you ^_^

elasticelastic - oh thank you very much for commenting! i hope you'll look forward to more :)

thelemle - thank you for commenting!!

OkNuneo-shi - hehehe thank you so much! Its going to get even thicker! I hope you can stick with this fic while it does ^_^

lurvejunho - haha yeah he has no idea hes talking to his boss lol! i'll update whenever i have the time :)

Law10s - yep there will definitely be flashbacks...in the future lol ^_^

junhonuneo - awwwwwwwwwwww thank you sooooooo much!!! I feel so much more confident in writing this story!! Awww thank you you are soooo sweet! I really like your id btw ^_^