The Bet

A Life Worth Living

 

A dull humming sound, cool breeze sweeping through his thick black hair, and the fresh cool evening air that smelt of crisp snow was all that the young man behind the wheels of a sleek black sports car felt. Breathing in deeply he settled himself into his seat even more comfortably, one hand around the headrest of the passenger seat and the other steadfastly holding the steering wheel in front of him.

His eyes sparkled with content as he eyed the vast expanse of nothingness as the empty road swerved in front of him. Smiling lightly he applied more pressure on the accelerator. The car sped off even faster into the distance. A slight vibration on his left thigh brought him out of his dream like state.

Looking down he saw the caller id on his phone and smiled to himself. Reaching up to the Bluetooth by his left ear he answered the call. Not bothering to shout over the humming of the car engine he spoke in an almost quiet yet deep tone.

‘What’s up Khunnie? Anything the matter?’

‘Where are you Taec? You do realise that you were supposed to attend your meeting with the board directors 5 minutes ago right?’ The other caller replied in a slightly accented voice, however without the tension that his words seemed to imply.

However Taec only chuckled in response. ‘Don’t worry I’ll be there in 10.’ He said as he hung up. Smirking he u-turned and drove back the way he came.

 

10 mins later…Ok Enterprises Headquarters….

 

A tall young man around the age of 25 entered the swivelling doors of the modern glass building. His outfit consisted of black jeans, white t-shirt and a stylish leather jacket. Sticking out like a sore thumb in the high tech office of suited men and women he confidently walked over to the lift.

Pressing the button for the 23rd floor he leaned back against the empty lift already tired just thinking about the aforementioned conference. Sighing he rubbed his temples feeling a headache creeping up. As the overhead voice indicated that his stop was soon to arrive he straightened himself and put his façade back on.

Smiling cheerfully he stepped out of the lift only to be greeted by his bored looking best friend. Just as he, his best friend was also tall however it was obvious that he was not Korean with dark dirty blonde hair swept to the side in a clean handsome fashion. Unlike him his best friend had decided to go with the norm and dressed up in an Italian sleek suit, giving him more of prince look than a commoner.

‘Yo Khun!’ The dark haired man greeted bumping his fist against the other’s who had perked up after seeing him. ‘I thought you said the meeting already started, what are you doing here?’

‘I lied.’ Khun said nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders as if it were a daily occurrence. ‘I knew you would show up late. The meeting starts in five minutes. Are you gonna come in like that?!’ He asked incredulously with an eyebrow raised.

The other just shrugged in response and chuckled softly before the two of them entered the committee room where all the leaders of the several branches sat waiting for the meeting to begin. And said young man’s father sat at the head of the table glaring at his son who had just entered the room dressed unsuitably.

 

30 mins later…in the Main Office….

 

A stern man in his mid-fifties sat behind a large desk glaring heatedly at his young son who sat on the other side of the table and was currently swivel around in his chair not caring for the angry atmosphere. The man looked towards his son’s right at his inadequate son’s adequate young best friend who was currently shaking his head in exasperation.

Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul, of course at first he had not approved of the young Thai’s friendship but he had grown on him and he was pleasantly surprised to find that whereas Taecyeon had no talent for business Nichkhun definitely had.

‘Why are you doing this son?’ Mr Ok asked quietly anger laced in his voice prompting his son to look up and stop playing around with his chair.

‘Oh this? It’s a new chair I just wanted to test it out!’ Taecyeon replied smiling cheekily knowing that he had just pissed off his father even more.

‘That is not what I meant! You knew that I was supposed to introduce you to my board and yet you entered the meeting dressed like this?! Why are you so irresponsible?!’

Taecyeon just rolled his eyes at the mini explosion that his father was having. He was clearly not fazed by it as he gazed lazily at his father. ‘Father this is not the first time we are having this conversation. I do not wish to the life that you do…a life set with boundaries. I am a racer father! I live life with freedom; I want to see the endless road in front of me, not a wall. I will crash…my life will crash.’

An awkward silence took place after Taecyeon repeated mini speech. Nichkhun sighed internally as the scene from many times was going to be repeated again.

‘Fine.’ At this both Taecyeon and Nichkhun looked up surprised. This turn of events was definitely not expected. ‘What do you expect me to do then? Throw away everything that I have built for you because you want to race?!’

‘Father…you did not build any of this for myself but for yourself. You were competent enough at my age to go from scratch and build an empire of technology…but now let me build something for myself.’ Taecyeon replied eagerly. ‘There’s no need for you to throw away anything! Why don’t you give it to someone who actually deserves it and cherishes it?...Like Nichkhun?!’ At this both other heads turned towards him; his father in surprise and Nichkhun’s in shock.

‘What?! I already have enough scavengers behind my back and you’re asking me to give the company over to Nichkhun?! Do you realise the amount of danger he would be in?! He’s not Korean of course it doesn’t matter to either you or me but it does to the others!’

‘No offense sir, but even if Taec’s saying I love this place a lot…which I do of course but…not enough to actually be in charge of it. I can’t take a lot of boundaries myself.’ Nichkhun said still looking shocked.

Both heads again turned towards Taecyeon wearing a similar expression on their faces. ‘Ok fine…father let’s take a gamble.’ He said looking up at his father a smile stretching onto his handsome face. ‘In six months I shall find someone more competent than anyone to take over from you, if not I shall drop racing and live by a life of rules. Let’s bet father!’

 

5 mins later outside by the corridor….

dep_1383324-Futuristic-glass-corridor.jp

Taecyeon juggled his car keys in his hands as he walked along with his best friend. Happy with how everything turned now all he had to do was somehow convince Khun to actually take up the job offer. Smirking as he was thinking of a devious plan he felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. Doubling over as Nichkhun punched him in his gut, he glared at the other.

 

‘That’s for thinking of getting me to take your position. It ain’t gonna happen. No matter what! I would rather kill you and go to prison!’ With that Nichkhun walked off towards the secretary’s office.

‘Yo! Khunnie! Wait up man! I’m sorry alright! Just help me out somehow!’ Taecyeon said as he ran after his best friend. Nodding to the secretory he followed Khun towards the exit. They passed through door as another man around their age entered the room.

Of course in the midst of their bickering they did not notice the smaller man that they nearly barged into. Nichkhun squinted pulling a hand up to shield his eyes from the small ray of sunlight that bounced of the badge on the other man’s lapel. Frowning he could slightly make out the others name…

 

Lee Junho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Thank you very much for commenting and subscribing earlier guys!! Really helped me to get this done! Please keep commenting and let me know on what I should improve so I actually feel motivated to write the next chapter! ^_^

Thank you Hyamee, elasticelastic, lurvejunho and thelemle !!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much you guys for motivating me! Please comment and subscribe!!!