Chapter 13

Gut Feeling

“Even my own friends think I’m an irresponsible player, huh?” Heejun’s voice, though slightly muffled, was a comfort. You shrugged and twisted the pencil in your fingers, trying to at least not draw on your homework. Heejun sighed into the phone and made a noise you didn’t quite recognize. “He doesn’t understand how I feel about you.”

That might have been meant to express how much he cared about you, and you rationally grasped that’s what it was, but it gave you a weird feeling. As if Heejun had been baring his teeth at someone while he said it.

“That’s what you get for being good at your job.” You tried to joke, but you weren’t really in the mood for jokes. Nor did Heejun seem to be.

“I’d give up working there in a second if it would convince anyone. But it won’t convince them. Jihun is a stubborn bastard. Yes, I am talking about you.” There was a pause and you heard something in the background. “He’s scolding me again. It’s not my fault the dishwasher is broken again!”

More noises. You heard the door to your room open and turned to look at Mina. She gave you a quick glance before slipping past you into the room and pulling clothes out of her closet. You leaned back in your chair to look at her sceptically. Between pulling clothes out, she held them up and seemed to be putting together an outfit.

“What are you up to Mina?” You asked. Your roommate made a face at you and held up two nearly identical skirts.

“Which one is less cute? Which one is… More grown up?” She relented. You glanced at your phone. Heejun seemed in conversation with someone else, probably Jihun, so you hung up to turn back to your friend. She’d gone back to looking between the two skirts. One was a black pencil skirt you hadn’t known she owned and the other was a very dark blue skirt with a finely concealed zipper on the side.

“Why?”

“I have a job interview!” Her eyes sparked up as she said it, though she quickly covered up. “Nothing’s for sure yet, but they want to talk to me in person. Can you help me?” Help her? Mina was the one responsible for your taste in fashion beyond high school uniforms. She’d helped you cultivate yours, and she wanted your input? It must be a job she was really excited for. You smiled and pointed at the pencil skirt.

“Goes better with your hair. What kind of job is it?” You asked. Mina tossed the pencil skirt onto her bed and put away the blue one, now picking up different blouses.

“It’s a receptionist job at a company I’m interested in. It’s only part time, but if I impress them maybe I could work my way up! Pink or beige?” Neither of the blouses she was holding up looked very appealing to you, but they were both definitely her type of clothing. You gestured at the beige blouse, and Mina tossed the pink one onto her bed in defiance. “You don’t understand fashion at all!”

“I got the skirt right!”

“Beginner’s luck. What if I don’t get it? What if I do get it? What am I going to do with my life?” She groaned and threw herself onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. “It sounds exactly like my type of place. I’m scared, honestly.”

“I thought you didn’t get scared.”

“Of course I do! I just don’t like to show it. Do you think I’ll..-”

“Yes.” You hadn’t heard what the question was, but decided to answer in advance. “I think you’ll do great. I think you’ll get it, and that they’d be stupid to reject you. But it’s okay to be scared, too.”

“You give good advice.” Mina sighed and to her side. “Was that Heejun on the phone just now?”

You made a face at her. Just because you were talking to someone on the phone didn’t mean it had to be Heejun. Besides, with the situation being what it was, you didn’t want to hear more complaints about your relationship. Yuna had been a bit chilly, but Jihun was a full blown snowstorm.

“Jihun’s on your team. He thinks I should break up with Heejun.”

“Hey! I did not say..- He said that? Wow. Harsh.” Mina sat up and swung her legs back and forth. “I knew he was a bit distant but I figured he was just a little harder to get to know. Well, I’m in your corner now! Whatever makes you happy.”

“Thanks Mina. But you’re trying to avoid talking about the job interview, aren’t you?” You smiled, noticing her plucking at the pink blouse. She made a face at you, then sighed.

“Will you practice with me?” Of course you would.

 

The office smelled of dust and bleach. As if someone was using cleaning products to cover the smell, but didn’t actually bother to clean. You tried to push the thought away, but with every breath you felt your stomach twist just a little. Hopefully you could get used to the smell, you thought as you steadied yourself.

“You’re here for the internship, right?” A bubbly voice asked. You turned and spotted a young woman smiling at you. She had bangs, a pink hairpin in the shape of a ribbon, and the make-up she wore reminded you of high school. It looked like the style that everyone had been trying to accomplish, except this woman seemed to have succeeded where most of your classmates had failed.

“I am, my mother…” You coughed and patted your chest. “I’m here for the internship. I brought my resume.”

“Your mother sent it ahead. It’s okay, it’s tough to start your first job.” She smiled. There was something about her voice that just sounded off. It seemed she also realized it, because she immediately corrected herself with a chipper follow-up. “When I first got here, I was terrified! I was actually wearing two different socks and I spent the entire day worrying people would notice, but they didn’t. It’s okay. You can ask me if you need help with anything. I’m Eunseol, secretary and customer contact!”

She held out her hand, which you took with hesitation. She showed off a perfect smile, and you couldn’t help but feel that little tug in your stomach that told you not to ask this woman for any favours.

“You’re very kind.” You smiled and brushed off her offer by introducing yourself, then asking her some questions about the office.

It was a small office. There were three attorneys working there with two paralegals supporting them. There’d been another intern who helped Eunseol with the secretary business, but as Eunseol phrased it, ‘he just wasn’t a good fit’. You decided to at least pretend to take her word for that and nodded eagerly, promising that you’d do your best to meet the standards of the office.

“Eunseol! Where is…- Ah, good. Intern! Please come with me.” A tall woman in a form fitting black suit stepped out of one of the rooms. Eunseol gave you an encouraging smile, which you tried to return, then followed the woman who was already stalking off.

“My name is…-”

“Intern. If you manage not to screw up in the next two weeks, I’ll bother learning your name. I’m prosecutor Lee, and you can call me that.” The woman announced curtly, swinging a door open. It was the door to a small room, made smaller by the amount of boxes stacked around the office. “This is where you will work. You can start by sorting the cases on the desk. Please make a record of the billable hours, and check the reports for grammatical errors.”

 

You did your best not to stumble out of the office and sighed as you pulled out your phone. Heejun sent three messages to check on you, the last one of which announced that he’d wait at a nearby cafe. You felt horrible and messaged him back. As you were walking, a shadow fell over you.

“You look tired. Everything okay?” His voice. You looked up in surprise and lowered your phone, staring at him.

“I’m sorry I made you wait...” you mumbled, dropping your head against his shoulder. His arms wrapped around you and squeezed. Warm. You closed your eyes, groaning when your phone rung. Heejun took it from your hands before you could check.

“It’s your mother.” He said, he sounded slightly worried. You sighed and reached for your phone, but he held it up over his head. “Let me show you a magic trick.”

You paused, then nodded. Heejun shifted, placing himself behind you, and held up your phone. He waited for the phone to stop ringing, then pressed the switch on the side.

“You see this button here? If you press it, people can’t bother you anymore.” He mused, pressing a kiss to your cheek. “Let’s go home and get you some sleep.”

“I like sleep...” You were too tired to argue about it not being weekend, putting your phone away and letting him lead you to the bus stop. Your eyes kept falling shut, but you managed to stay awake until the bus arrived.

“You can sleep on my shoulder.” Heejun whispered, patting his shoulder. You moaned in agreement and nestled against him. The bus started to move, but even that couldn’t keep you awake. You remembered thinking Heejun smelled nice before nodding off.

 

Waking up wasn’t nearly as comfortable. There was someone making a lot of noise. You grumbled and lifted your head, half noticing that you were being carried. There was a man standing in front of you, blocking Heejun’s way. Heejun was trying to answer quietly, but immediately realized you were awake.

“Go back to sleep baby, it’s okay... we’re almost home. Sleep.” He whispered, kissing your temple. You sighed and glanced at the road block he was conversing with.

“Miss, are you okay? I noticed him carrying you! I can dial the police if you want!” The man shouted. You winced, then groaned. This again? Why did everyone, every single person, seem to have something against Heejun and you?! Frustrated, you patted at Heejun’s chest.

“This... This!!” You managed, half asleep, “this is my boyfriend! Heejun... I’m going to do some magic. Can I have your phone?”

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Heejun handed you his phone, and you blinked to try and get your eyes to focus. The screen was too bright. Finally you managed to get the phone to work, and the camera. Video. Film. There! You struggled to angle it right.

“This is my boyfriend! I’m dating him!” You announced, patting Heejun’s chest vaguely. “He can carry me. Anywhere. Anytime. Always. It’s fine!” For good measure, you turned your head around and kissed his cheek. Heejun smiled, taking his phone back from your hand.

“Magic. Now people will leave us be, I hope.” You grumbled, leaning back against him. Heejun grinned and nodded.

“You heard her. We’re dating. Good night, sir.” And with that he carried you off. You couldn’t quite doze off again. It was cold, in spite of his body warmth. So you just closer your eyes and listened to the sound of him breathing, and his heart beating. It was very faint, but because your left ear was resting on his chest, you could just make it out. Maybe it was more feeling it than actually hearing.

“I’m sorry, I was going to let you sleep.” Heejun said as he stepped into the elevator. You blinked slowly, looking at him with a question you were too tired to properly think of.

“It’s okay.” You finally said, patting his chest in a vague gesture of affirmation.

“It was cute, though. Ah, we’re here.” He winked at you. Had the elevator moved? You glanced around, making out the surroundings. Yes, you were indeed on the seventh floor.

“Aren’t your arms tired?”

“Nope.” Heejun grinned at you as he pushed his door open. “I’ll take the couch. I have an extra toothbrush.”

“You can’t take the couch, it’s your house.” You whined.

“Exactly. It’s my house. My couch.” Though your eyes were closed by now, you could hear him grinning. He’d moved you into the bedroom already. The mattress was very comfortable, not too soft so you’d sink into it, but also don’t hard. You forced yourself to sit up, batting his hands away to at least take off your own shoes.

“That’s not fair.” You pouted. Pouting had never had the effect on people that romance novels told you it would. Heejun was no exception, he just chuckled and patted your head.

“Life isn’t fair. I’ll put your shoes by the door, you can borrow one of my shirts to sleep in.” He smiled as he held up your shoes. You’d missed how he’d taken them from your hands and frowned.

“I can do it. Gimme.” You reached, and Heejun raised the shoes over his head. You scooted closer and tried reaching, but they were simply out of your reach. Desperate to prove something you didn’t exactly know how to define, you stood up and made a grab for them. Heejun reacted quicker than you’d hoped and stood up as well, still holding the shoes over his head.

Why was he so uselessly tall? You frowned as you stared at your hand. It was far too short to be able to reach. Stubborn still, you climbed onto the bed and tried to stand up. That was a bridge too far, apparently. Heejun dropped your shoes behind him, the thud made you wince, and wrapped his arms around your waist before you could stand up.

“Sweetheart, that’s dangerous. Go brush your teeth.” He smiled, pressing a quick kiss to your lips. You lost your ability to struggle and dropped back onto the bed. Heejun leaned closer to you, bringing his lips dangerously close to yours. “Spare shirts are in the drawer on the right side of the bed. Go.”

“Unfair… You can’t use your charms on me.”

“I told you, life isn’t fair. Also I can, you’re my girlfriend. My charms come with the territory.” His eyes lingered, and you had the feeling there was more he wanted to say. Instead, however, Heejun gently pushed you onto the bed and left the room with your shoes. Damn. You pushed yourself off the bed and staggered to the bathroom to brush your teeth.