Chapter 2

Gut Feeling

It would have been a terrible idea to go back there. The food and drinks cost a lot, because of the ‘service’, and you didn’t even like that kind of stuff anyway. And yet, you found yourself in front of the café around a week later. Without Mina, because you couldn’t stand the idea of her knowing that you’d come back to this kind of place.

You stood in front of the door for a few minutes, letting a group of giggling schoolgirls go inside. It was silly to have come here. You really shouldn’t have. You stepped back and turned to walk away when you heard a familiar voice calling your name. You peeked over your shoulder and noticed Heejun carrying a sign outside.

“Hey! I didn’t think you were going to come back. Come in!” He beamed, half-heartedly setting the sign up and opening the door. You hesitantly turned around and took a few steps closer. Heejun was still smiling, and stepped back inside. Whatever. Couldn’t hurt to spend just a little more money. You could always leave.

Famous last words.

“I’m going to guess what you want today, too.” Heejun grinned as he directed you to a seat. One of the other servers, a man with a strong jaw but a friendly face, caught your eye and waved, but Heejun quickly moved in front of you. “Today… You want to try our new special tea. Rose tea. And you don’t really want to get a treat because they’re expensive and you’re trying to watch what you eat… But our whole wheat sandwiches are really tasty and healthy! You can have it as a lunch.”

You blinked at him, stunned. He wasn’t just right, he was following your train of thoughts exactly, before you even had time to think them. Was he some kind of mind reader? Could cold reading give someone this amount of information? You observed him sceptically, but he was just waiting patiently.

“Did I get it right? I did, didn’t I? Told you I have a knack for these things.” He patted his temple with a smile and turned around, walking to the bar to put your order through.

You sank back into your chair and stared at the menu on the table, trying to figure out what just happened. This was his job, you rationalized. A job he seemed to be enjoying. It would make sense that he’d do something he was good at for a job. Right? You reached for your bag to pick a book out of it, just so you could distract yourself with something and avoid making eye contact with anyone.

“Are you sure about Heejun?” You looked up from your book and spotted the server you’d seen before. He was carrying an empty trey, and gestured at the seat beside you. You nodded, and he took the seat. He flashed you a smile and you awkwardly smiled back at him.

“What do you mean? He just guessed my order. That’s sort of what he does, right?” You asked shyly.

“I mean… Are you sure you can put up with his flirting? He’s very dangerous. You could lose your heart.” The server winked, and you noticed he wasn’t wearing a name tag. They probably didn’t need them in this kind of café.

“I don’t lose my heart that easily, but thank you for your concern mister….?”

“Oh! Where are my manners? My name is Dongwon.” He gave you another wink, then rose from his chair. “I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing each other again soon. Let’s chat again.”

As Dongwon left, Heejun returned with a lovely porcelain cup filled with a vaguely pink liquid in which rose petals floated. He carefully placed it down and stopped your hand from reaching for it.

“Careful, it’s still hot. Is he trying to steal you from me?” He smiled, taking the seat Dongwon had occupied. “We can chat a bit while you wait. So tell me… How is Dongwon trying to win you over?”

You bit your tongue and shrugged awkwardly. What a strange conversation. Steal you? Win you over? The terms were never really applied to you when it came to guys. Maybe that’s what the customers got from coming here? To feel wanted? Important?

“He acted like me visiting a second time and happening to have you guess my order meant I chose you, somehow.” You shrugged. “I have no idea how these types of places work. Does that mean I chose you? Do you have a manual for this place?”

Heejun laughed, covering his mouth so he didn’t laugh too loudly. It still turned a few heads, naturally, but that didn’t seem to interest Heejun. He was looking at you as if you were the only person in his world. It flustered you and you set your gaze on the teacup.

“It doesn’t exactly work like that. Usually, people make reservations in advance with a specific waiter, but everyone’s welcome to walk in, and then it’s a surprise who they’ll get. Last time your friend booked me. Looks like Dongwon thought you booked me today, too.” Heejun explained calmly, handing you a business card. It had the name of their café, along with some flowery decorations, and listed their contact information.

“He said you were dangerous. That I could lose my heart to you.” You shrugged, tucking the card away carefully. “As if I don’t know that you’re being paid to flirt with your customers.”

“Hey!” Heejun pouted at you. “I don’t get paid to take people on dates. If it happens outside of the café, then it’s all on me. But… I get the feeling you’re the type of person who likes to take things slow, so until you’re ready for a date you are welcome to keep visiting me in the café.”

“Right. What if I reserve Dongwon for my next visit?” You asked jokingly. Heejun scoffed.

“He doesn’t get you the way I do! He never could. All he would do is smile sweetly at you, tell you it’s been a while since he last saw you, and give you watermelon juice every time because he saw me getting it for you the first time.”

“Are you getting territorial?”

“What? No… I’m just saying. I’m obviously the better choice.” He winked and got up. “The tea is cool enough to drink now, as long as you blow on it. I’ll go get your sandwich.”

You caught yourself staring after him as he walked away and quickly picked your book back up, trying to focus on your reading. As your eyes glazed over the words, forgetting them as soon as you read them, you noticed there was music playing in the background. It didn’t stand out as much because a lot of people were talking and it wasn’t too loud, but it was there. And it was pretty good. You made a quick note of one of the lyrics to look the song up later.

‘Your heart is booming and burning. Everyone be quiet, we’re coming. We’re KNK boy.’ You weren’t sure what that last bit meant. Maybe the internet would have answers. Curiosity peaked, you picked up your phone, only to drop it when you heard the clang of a plate on the table.

“Photos aren’t included in your visit.” Heejun teased. You made a face, which made him laugh.

“I was just going to look something up. This book is full of difficult words.” You held it out to him, then wondered why you didn’t just tell him it was the music. Maybe it was a little embarrassing? He would know what kind of music played in his restaurant, wouldn’t he?

“Accounting?” He asked. You weren’t sure what his voice sounded like.

“Yeah, I know.”

“Wow, you must be some kind of genius! That stuff’s pretty complicated isn’t it?” He smiled, giving you back the book.

“It’s not like it’s medicine or anything.” You could hear your mother say the words in the back of your head. Yeah, it’s not like it’s a big deal. Heejun’s smile dropped and he picked the book back up out of your hands. After sticking a finger between the page you were at, he flipped back to the first chapter and opened it.

“This first sentence doesn’t even make sense to me. The fact that you can read this, that you understand this, is amazing. Don’t talk down to yourself, alright? You are smart. I can guarantee there are a lot of doctors who have no idea what this says.” He placed the book back on the table and took a seat in the chair next to you. Somehow, the chair had gotten a lot closer to yours.

“What does that make me, huh?” He continued, leaning over the arm and bringing himself closer to you. “I’m just a guy working in a café. Am I stupid to you?”

His tone was joking, but you still felt your heart sink. No, of course not! You would never hold yourself to the standards you had for yourself. They were unrealistically high and you knew that, but…

“No… It’s just me.” You muttered, “you’re not… I don’t think you’re stupid at all. You’re doing something that makes a lot of people happy.”

“Do I make you happy?” He grinned. Your heart leapt up in your chest and you hoped it wasn’t showing. How did he turn this into an opportunity to flirt? And why was it even affecting you? He was being paid to be this way!

“You’re… I’m… It’s above neutral.” You stammered. Heejun covered his mouth to laugh.

“Above neutral? I’m guessing I’ll have to work harder for that date.” His eyes twinkled mischievously. Wait, no! That wasn’t what you meant! You felt your cheeks heat up and quickly turned away from him to sip some of your tea. He followed your motions. Somehow, he was way too close.

“That far in the future, huh?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“So you’ll go on a date with me?”